Windmill Research Question

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Necrobat

Windmill Research Question

Post by Contrast »

Hey guys. First of all, let me just make this clear. I'm not asking anybody to go out and do my research for me. That would be unforgivably lazy of me. I'm just posting this on the off-chance that somebody happens to know what Google apparently does not. Seriously, I have been looking all weekend and I just cannot find the answer anywhere! And it's for such a stupid little background detail that hardly matters, but I need it for realism, and shirking that would be just as unforgivably lazy! >.<

So here's the question. What do millers do with their windmills during the off-season, or times of extreme weather (such as storms or blizzards)? Do they take off the sails, or do they just let the blades spin?

Right now I'm assuming they'd take off the sails, but I haven't been able to find any confirming information on this.

If anybody has any information I would be most appreciative.
Read my novel on: SoFurry | Fur Affinity | Deviant Art
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Werewolf
Region: Gauteng

Re: Windmill Research Question

Post by Valerion »

All windmills have an upper speed rating, at which they fail. Dutch windmills, as well as wind turbines, can actually catch fire if they spin too fast. Quite spectacular.

Depends on the windmill in question. The windpump on farms (like seen in SA) are fastened, so they can't spin. Very often this is done with a friction lock of some kind. If they spin, there's a very good chance they will break off in heavier wind. You can also on some re-angle the blades, or remove them. And yes, too heavy a wind can break the friction lock, hence some judgement and repairs are sometimes needed.

Another trick used on wind turbines is to change the angle of the blades. If you change the angle to a neutral point, they won't spin, due to no catching the wind. Often this can be done remotely.

On Dutch-type windmills I can't really comment, but it would obviously depend on the storm in question. A hurricane is different from a strong wind, for example. I think for lower-rated storms, they are fastened with a friction mechanism of some kind (lots of things where the inner workings are to stop them), but for really nasty storms I would would also guess that the sails are taken off.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Have you asked Don Quixote? :P

I'll ask someone I think might now and get back to you.
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Necrobat

Post by Contrast »

Thank you, Val. That actually helps quite a lot. :)
Read my novel on: SoFurry | Fur Affinity | Deviant Art