ideas and suggestions on how to discuss controversial topics.

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
northernicebear
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Journalist Shirokuma
Region: Other

Re: ideas and suggestions on how to discuss controversial topics.

Post by northernicebear »

It certainly would be interesting, that's for sure; good or bad, that remains unclear
"Sans café, sans vie" (Without coffee, without life) My Grandma Chloë
" am broken, battered, torn apart, yet I persist" - Occitanian Graffiti (translated) in Carcassone, France
Coming Soon to Cape Town ^^ (2017 Year~????)
Icon Credit: Raven Song :3
Animew
Banter kitty
Species: Animu cat

Post by Animew »

northernicebear wrote: XMPP and IRC have the bonus of being platform-agnostic (well, relatively), XMPP works with OTR, IRC can be used with a temporary VPN or on some networks your host can be masked if you login using SASL. Impossible? no. Improbable? most likely.

All of that out of the way, there is no topic that 100% free from people being 'nutsoid' about. People, more often than not, think that the internet gives them carte blanche to be dicks to others. I'd like to make the point that if any heavy/big claims are made, evidence is required (at least a citation from a reputable source, statistics with context). I have strong ties to one of the most diverse nations in Europe (France), there are several political and world views, sometimes they clash with chaotic results (e.g. Le Front National, Madame Le Pen, Paris Shootings). There are some people who will either: 1) argue ad infinitum for the sake of argument alone, 2) people who are ignorant and who wish to remain so.

As a cap point, I'd be interested in this, as someone who is very much an outsider in several senses. I tend to be (relatively) level-headed (just don't trash on the french too hard)
xmpp? sasl?... wuzat? I like the xmpp tho, if it really has otters and all… I like otters…
i figured i'll just use the anonymous chat room thingy and leave the covering up the IPs and proxyfing to the participants themselves. it’s not like people will gain anything from hacking out the identities of people participating, it’s just a precaution to keep any childish name calling on other places from happening.

das cool, so you are a Frenchie? you'll probably get along well with Lee then. wish i could learn to speak French, it sounds so sophisticated.
Leeward wrote:I'd be keen for such a discussion.
discussionS. the plan is to discuss other topics too like slavery, murder and perhaps even religion again.
^_^ but it would please me greatly if you were to join the discussions, i already know you to be a fine debater of topics and i look forward to hearing your take on the subjects.
northernicebear wrote:It certainly would be interesting, that's for sure; good or bad, that remains unclear
huzzah! 2 people definitely interested then? i don’t really have the internet to head something like this tho. i only get to go on once a day when i'm working so i won’t be able to do all the adaminy stuff. it'd just be anarchy in a box, the participants will have to decide themselves whether or not they behave.
but this is good too... a frenzy every now and again isn’t bad, especially if its unrelated to the rest of your social life.
Duck face? i thought they were all just making fart noises when posing for pictures...
northernicebear

animew wrote:xmpp? sasl?... wuzat? I like the xmpp tho, if it really has otters and all… I like otters…
i figured i'll just use the anonymous chat room thingy and leave the covering up the IPs and proxyfing to the participants themselves. it’s not like people will gain anything from hacking out the identities of people participating, it’s just a precaution to keep any childish name calling on other places from happening.

das cool, so you are a Frenchie? you'll probably get along well with Lee then. wish i could learn to speak French, it sounds so sophisticated.

SASL auto-authenticates upon login, Freenode supports it

XMPP is simple to set up, free accounts are offered by DuckDuckGo.

Anonymization would be the best, it would prevent ad hominem attacks.

I'm a frenchie yah, and lee and I have talked.

French? Sophisticated? Oh honey, have a look at my dialect
" am broken, battered, torn apart, yet I persist" - Occitanian Graffiti (translated) in Carcassone, France
Animew
Banter kitty
Species: Animu cat

Post by Animew »

northernicebear wrote: SASL auto-authenticates upon login, Freenode supports it

\(゚ヮ゚)/ i still have no idea wtf that is lol (i'm just a kitty cat mew mew,i duno ICT stuff). but i figure it’s better to do it on something that you don’t need an account to participate. O_o i already have my doubts that anyone will even participate so i don’t wana make it too much of a hassle to participate.

hehe, anything can sound sophisticated if you don’t understand it. with a few top hats and monocles... high society right thur.
Duck face? i thought they were all just making fart noises when posing for pictures...
northernicebear

Animew wrote:
northernicebear wrote: SASL auto-authenticates upon login, Freenode supports it

\(゚ヮ゚)/ i still have no idea wtf that is lol (i'm just a kitty cat mew mew,i duno ICT stuff). but i figure it’s better to do it on something that you don’t need an account to participate. O_o i already have my doubts that anyone will even participate so i don’t wana make it too much of a hassle to participate.

hehe, anything can sound sophisticated if you don’t understand it. with a few top hats and monocles... high society right thur.
IRC works best then, if people use a VPN free/temporary it works great
Franky
The Bad Guy
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Mortally Challenged Fox
Region: Gauteng

Post by Franky »

I missed a lot it would seem.
northernicebear

Inpw wrote:I missed a lot it would seem.

not that I'm aware of ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

northernicebear wrote:French? Sophisticated? Oh honey, have a look at my dialect
Half of those don't even sound like French any more...
northernicebear

Leeward wrote:
northernicebear wrote:French? Sophisticated? Oh honey, have a look at my dialect
Half of those don't even sound like French any more...
Most are quite rare