Universities that offer teaching

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
Tocs
The glowing blue panda
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Husky
Region: Gauteng

Universities that offer teaching

Post by Tocs »

I'm fairly certain I can say that we all have been taught by someone, some teachers are really amazing, while others may seem like the worst teachers ever. My goal in life is to become the teacher that people will see as amazing, at least in terms of a carrier point of view. So, I just want to know form your guys personal experience or just by knowledge, which universities in South Africa would appear to produce the "best" teachers.
For the most part, it is pointless to be sad in life.
Because sad spelt backwards is das
And das not good
Love every stranger, the stranger the better
The darker the night, the brighter I glow!
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Re: Universities that offer teaching

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

You want to be a school teacher? I have no idea where my teachers went to university and I don't think you will find one that will turn out the best teachers. It will depend so much on the person themselves and their own experiences. All the university can do is make sure you learn the material but everything else is up to you. There will be better mentors at some places but I doubt you'll find any people with the experience to tell you that here.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Tocs
The glowing blue panda

Post by Tocs »

Hmm okay, well then how about I change the topic, and instead go along the lines of what made your teacher great? If you had one. And yeah, I know that it isn't a high paying job.. and all that stuff, but it's a passion of mine. I want to be a teacher.
And das not good
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sev »

Three words:

Insight. Passion. Commitment.

It doesn't matter how much the teacher knows if they doesn't like teaching or don't care about their students. Having a genuine interest in sharing what you know makes a big difference. If they can get their students to share their passion about something, they've already won most of the battle.

At UCT, quite a few of the faculty there were excellent researchers but terrible lecturers. They lectured simply because they were compelled to.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Most of my high school teachers were quite decent, but the ones that really stood out to me were those who made the effort of getting to know their students, their strengths and weaknesses, their interests and dreams, and how to motivate them to reach their full potential. Basically, those who were nice people who took a genuine interest in others. Like you. I think you would be perfect for teaching, although I do hope you have the tenacity to treat the hopelessly stupid and/or lazy students the same way.

As for a university, most of my teachers were from my own alma mater, Stellenbosch University.
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian

Post by Raven Song »

I think the better the University is, the better quality of education person you would be. That being said a lot of the people I know personally who are teachers (including my aunt) studied through UNISA. UNISA itself is shit, but because you don't have mainstream lectures etc. I think it lets you learn your own style. I have a couple of friends who are teachers. I can ask them for you what they think?
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Leeward wrote:Although I do hope you have the tenacity to treat the hopelessly stupid and/or lazy students the same way..
If a teacher is giving it their all, and the majority of their class is really engaged, they shouldn't even waste their effort on the students that couldn't care less.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Although a great teacher would try to find out why they aren't engaged and try to change it.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Tocs
The glowing blue panda

Post by Tocs »

Oh yeah I'd love to hear raven. Personally the teachers that I found to be the best were the stern yet relaxed and very passionate, they help their best yet at the same time encouraging you to figure it out yourself, I guess it's a sort of balancing act between many things
And das not good
Badge
Species: Badgacat

Post by Badge »

The three teachers that I still remember due to their passion were the teachers that had passion, they enjoyed and loved teaching the subjects they taught.

One element they all had in particular was that the engaged with the classes. If your opinion differed then you had chance to explain it, should you be wrong it was broken down and explained, discussed as to how you got there versus what it was, one the other hand, if you were right that thinking was incorporated.

This not only gives the student a sense of purpose and participation to the material they study and helped develop the thinking adults need to assess and interact with the world.

This produced classes with higher grade averages than those where you had a drone cramming syllabus down your throat and not humouring so much as a clearing of the throat without taking it as a challenge to their "supreme authority"

This is my 2c worth, I am curious to know if anyone else experienced this.
If you take your marker and connect this dot to that one, that one to this one here you will get a really annoyed dalmatian.

The European Badger (meles meles) is known to have a rather large range of vocalisations, though it must be noted he often makes no sense at all.
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Species: Werewolf

Post by Valerion »

My youngest sister is currently a school teacher. If you want I can contact her and ask for a few tips on where to study and such from her. Sadly not in Gauteng.
Tocs
The glowing blue panda

Post by Tocs »

Valerion wrote:My youngest sister is currently a school teacher. If you want I can contact her and ask for a few tips on where to study and such from her. Sadly not in Gauteng.
Honestly any help is appreciated so so much :)
And das not good
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

My mom studied teaching at NKP.
But that's only a diploma...
And not exactly the best?
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:Although a great teacher would try to find out why they aren't engaged and try to change it.
In all likelihood, it's because they don't feel like being there. I don't think that a teacher can do much about that. There are just some kids that hate school.
Valerion
Alpha Wolf

Post by Valerion »

I've had a chat with my sister today. She says she can't really state a preference in universities, except to stay away from UNISA. The others are mostly all on the same level, so it will depend what subjects you are interested in. Also, she said you may want to look at the technicons, if uni is too much. Most are generally good too.
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe
Species: Green Folf

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

Go to a Uni that gives you time to do practicals and allows you to have a lot of time doing that. You can always study in the field you want to teach in and then do the PGCE which means that you'll be doing grade 9-12 or you can specialize. I hear tell you want to go to the Cape so maybe have a look at Stellenbosch. If you do perchance go for English as one of your subjects tell Prof van der Walt hi for me. She's awesome.
AND THEN THE CAGE COMES DOWN! The cage with the Japanese fighting spiders inside, your mother strikes a match off her forearm and tells you to dance in the front room for money... - Dylan Moran
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

My aunt who's completing her studies at UNISA also said nopenopenopenopenope. Lol.
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe
Species: Green Folf

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

Funny, I want to do my Masters through Unisa, it's at the point the cheapest and best option I have. I wonder whether that may make a difference if it's Masters...
AND THEN THE CAGE COMES DOWN! The cage with the Japanese fighting spiders inside, your mother strikes a match off her forearm and tells you to dance in the front room for money... - Dylan Moran
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

My aunts done a four year teaching degree in both primary and high school education for Science and Biology. It's been hell.
Valerion
Alpha Wolf

Post by Valerion »

My sister's main argument is with the curriculum itself, as well as the sometimes unreliable assignment submission method. Have to submit via the website by xx. Website down. Tell everyone the deadline is moved out to yy. Website gets restored. Move the deadline back without actually telling the students.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Wow, that is a scummy thing to do.
Tocs
The glowing blue panda

Post by Tocs »

Thank you for the responses, I've taken a look into all the things and honestly by the sounds of it, UCT seems to be the "best" for me due to the fact that they only offer a PCGE and no BEd. So this allows me to specialize in the subject that I want to teach and also have a sense of a back up degree in place. The question for me would actually be what degree to take, I have a huge passion in Biology and English, and I am more than capable of teaching mathematics (as I've learnt from my tutoring) so if there is a degree that wraps all 3 into one, or has at least two of those available I'm all good :D
And das not good
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

My mate's high school AP maths teacher was a former actuary who decided he hated his job and wanted to teach instead, so anything can happen. :P
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Believe it or not, my father did the same thing for a year.