Surviving a zombie apocalypse

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
jacojerb
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: bunny/fox
Region: Gauteng

Surviving a zombie apocalypse

Post by jacojerb »

So, yeah. In light of how probably we'll survive a "everyone else disappears" type apocalypse, how about a "everyone else is trying to eat your brain", type apocalypse

So, yeah. Lets say, not a convention center, but a fur camp. A week long fur camp, out of range of cell signal. We start driving back to a terrifying site: while we were gone, some kind of weird virus has turned everyone else into zombies. We decide to regroup outside of town... Can we survive this one?
Mew?
jacojerb

Re: Surviving a zombie apocalypse

Post by jacojerb »

Also, I should add, it's more or less walking dead style zombies.

And we're not aware of any other survivors. The South-African military was completely useless, the cities were a bit too packed. Everyone was overrun quickly... I guess some farmers would survive, but they'd try to shoot us on sight. They'd be self-sufficient, so they wouldn't really affect things in the cities.
Mew?
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian
Region: Other

Post by Raven Song »

I often dream of this. In my head I would head straight for Johannesburg city central during the day to do recon and food collection. I have many objects that can and will be used as weapons, and I would keep my party small. Less people to worry about. I own a horse, and until petrol runs out (we could steal tankers as we see fit) we could use cars. Cuddles can weld. I'll steal him.

At night I would live on a secure location outside the city. I was thinking Suikerbos... its a nice enough area, close to farms and towns where we can still get food etc. and we could probably set up some serious defense and housing there.

In my dream the zombies are more resident evil style... because that's the most influential zombie film/game to my little brain... so I tend to want to make everything as secure and stuff as possible... and pray to pretty much every deity I can find...

OR I had one where it was more I Am Legend style... that one was freaky...
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
jacojerb

Post by jacojerb »

It's something I've thought about for years. Can't help it. It's just a fun scenario

I'd rather fortify an apartment complex or something. Stay in the city. I want to minimize my travel time as much as possible... But, of course, it depends on the behavior of the zombies... If they congregate around the complex, because it's inhabited, that'd make things a lot harder...

Might just get a truck or something, and do a big round of food collection every month or so. Canned food lasts long, so that gives us time to start a farm or something...

As for weapons... I wouldn't be able to fight, at all. I guess I could learn... But I don't know. Most of the fighting I know relies on grapples, which is pretty useless against zombies...

But, I am pretty good at climbing and running. So I could probably evade them... I feel like I'd make a good scout.
Mew?
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Species: Snow Leopard

Post by Adagio »

I'd freekin love this!

First thing's first...
Get weapons... Luckily I know a huge stash, and I know where the spare key is hidden!

I never leave home without a knife, it's a rule to me...
So I wouldn't be defenseless.

I know some nice locations that can serve as bunkers...

I have methods of staying in contact, IE. 2 way radio(This wouldn't have worked in the nuclear scenario, because of EMP.)

I can fashion explosives from a tree, some urine, and some sulfur(Easily obtainable too)
rusted hydra
Cannibal
Sexual preference: Bi

Post by rusted hydra »

A zombie apocalypse...
hmh?
hmmmm
mmmhmmmm...

"Oh yes dear come. I'll save you. Don't worry you're safe with me. Yes. Completely safe"
OOOhohohoh
*Burp*"what? Dave? Na he got caught by zombies. I know, sad... Hey wanna follow me to that supermarket? I think I saw something we can salvage there"

Oh YESSSS
If a zombie apocalypse happens you all should stay away cause I'm going to have the best damn cooking session ever. AND NO ONE WILL KNOW! cause I could just say "Hey. a zombie ate 'em"

Would be hard to explain how a zombie first cooked them and dipped em in BBQ sauce.

hmmmm...
Cape_F0X
Light-footed
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Vulpes chama
Region: Western Cape

Post by Cape_F0X »

Hey! If the zombies caught me, it was while saving others.

P.S. Don't we already have one? Because those things limping along, looking down and typing "lol" all the time have an uncanny resemblance.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Let us face it: Stastically speaking, it is very likely the vast majority of us here, if not all of us, would become infected, killed in scavenger struggles or succumb to wounds or other disease within half a year. :lol: Harsh reality and fanciful Rambo-style visions of survival are not very compatible.

Many also do not take into account the terror and panic that would overwhelm the nation. Far more people would be killed in confusion and paranoia than directly by the Infected.

Your worst enemy would not be the zombie or infected person; it would be the sane individual who perceives you as a threat, and there would be thousands of that type of person.

To quote Heath Ledger's Joker from The Dark Knight: "They're only as good as the world allows them to be. When the chips are down, these civilized people? They will eat each other."

In my opinion, the best case scenario is that you already have a cache of long-life food and plentiful water, and you flee the most densely populated areas.
Franky
The Bad Guy
Species: Mortally Challenged Fox

Post by Franky »

South Africa is probably one of the safest places to be during a zombie apocalypse. Almost Every home has a 8 foot fence around it.

Unless it's WWZ zombies. The we're fucked.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

jacojerb wrote:Also, I should add, it's more or less walking dead style zombies.
Hence, they are certainly not as fast as the 'mutants' of I Am Legend or the zombies of World War Z, yet they are a notch above the traditional, lumbering zombies of Resident Evil or Night of the Living Dead.

Electric fencing will not be much of a deterrent, I'd imagine; if not due to their altered biologies, then because the power grid will not sustain itself forever. Also, I cannot imagine simple fencing holding back hordes for a very long time, either. In essence, ordinary house security measures are simply not preferential in the long term. They may even end up doing a better job of keeping you a prisoner inside, rather than keeping the infected outside, when your rations and water begin to dwindle...

I still maintain that evading densely populated areas and adopting a nomadic approach as a small group is the best.
Dasc-Crescent
Species: Wolf

Post by Dasc-Crescent »

Well the idea I always had and shared with my best friend was to get a bus or truck and basically just rig it out to be the most reliable, easy to work on, and light fortress which is still capable of barging through rows of long standing cars, not letting zombies in or on top of it, and provide basic means of protection against potential raiders, just some cover and such. It just needs to be able to house a small group of us.
Since I somehow doubt we will be finding ammo and medpacks strewn about like in the games, I just think its more logical to have a good defense, and its mobility means that you wont have to worry as much about completely stripping your home area of all its resources.

But, i hear you ask, where shall you get teh foods and diesel.
Well parked cars will probably still have fuel for the most part, even if you have to separate some water out of it or whatever. Food, well short term raiding stores and stuff will do as we can hop around until we find a store that doesn't look ransacked or infested, eventually even the caned goods will start expiring and it will be time to look for a permanent residence, but by my logic, zombies can only keep going for so long, and in our climate they should rot through and die for real before that's too much of an issue.

Otherwise there are places remote and far out enough to settle in without worrying too much about the last remaining zombies and potential raiders.

I had a lot of other idea to make the bus thing more workable, but I admit its been a while since I've really thought about this much.
If the world's at large, why should I remain
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Dasc-Crescent wrote:Well the idea I always had and shared with my best friend was to get a bus or truck and basically just rig it out to be the most reliable, easy to work on, and light fortress which is still capable of barging through rows of long standing cars, not letting zombies in or on top of it, and provide basic means of protection against potential raiders, just some cover and such. It just needs to be able to house a small group of us.
Since I somehow doubt we will be finding ammo and medpacks strewn about like in the games, I just think its more logical to have a good defense, and its mobility means that you wont have to worry as much about completely stripping your home area of all its resources.

But, i hear you ask, where shall you get teh foods and diesel.
Well parked cars will probably still have fuel for the most part, even if you have to separate some water out of it or whatever. Food, well short term raiding stores and stuff will do as we can hop around until we find a store that doesn't look ransacked or infested, eventually even the caned goods will start expiring and it will be time to look for a permanent residence, but by my logic, zombies can only keep going for so long, and in our climate they should rot through and die for real before that's too much of an issue.

Otherwise there are places remote and far out enough to settle in without worrying too much about the last remaining zombies and potential raiders.

I had a lot of other idea to make the bus thing more workable, but I admit its been a while since I've really thought about this much.
You have never been 4x4'ing have you?
Bashing through parked cars like that only works in the movies.

You're best bet for fuel will be, get a really old diesel motor, siphon old oil.
Those old motors will run off of anything, save for petrol. That will just blow the head off(exaggeration)
jacojerb

Post by jacojerb »

StargazingSerpent wrote:Your worst enemy would not be the zombie or infected person; it would be the sane individual who perceives you as a threat, and there would be thousands of that type of person.
That's why I specifically added this part:
jacojerb wrote:And we're not aware of any other survivors. The South-African military was completely useless, the cities were a bit too packed. Everyone was overrun quickly... I guess some farmers would survive, but they'd try to shoot us on sight. They'd be self-sufficient, so they wouldn't really affect things in the cities.
If we have to compete with other survivers, we would be completely, royally fucked. If not... I think at least some of us would make it
Mew?
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Well there are easier ways to get transport than modifying busses or trucks. Just pick up unused military, police or military-level vehicles. A zombie will do nothing to a Casspir (even a group of zombies) and you can get stuff like this.

Also I don't see the point of fighting a constant stream of zombies. But we can go to Robben Island, sweep it clear of zombies and have an inaccessible island which is totally safe.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Rakuen...

You read my mind!

I would love one of those! What fun I'd have!!
Dasc-Crescent

Post by Dasc-Crescent »

Adagio wrote:You have never been 4x4'ing have you?
Bashing through parked cars like that only works in the movies.

You're best bet for fuel will be, get a really old diesel motor, siphon old oil.
Those old motors will run off of anything, save for petrol. That will just blow the head off(exaggeration)
I didn't mean that in the Zombieland Tallahassee scene way.
More the gentle pushing away if possible (low gear range truck with a good V shaped plow thing) or something along those lines.
While I have been off-roading, I have not driven any trucks, so I'm not too sure exactly how it'd work. but I'm fairly sure there are trucks out there that can do it, judging fro the you tube videos of them dragging massive tree trunks through mud.
Hargan
Species: Foxeh

Post by Hargan »

I have a curious question relating to this:

Why does seemingly everyone have a plan of what to do in a zombie outbreak, each plan being unique in their own way; but less people seem to have a survival plan for something like if a war broke out?
Warning: Has been known to speak his mind

Firm believer in Spiral Power
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Hargan wrote:I have a curious question relating to this:

Why does seemingly everyone have a plan of what to do in a zombie outbreak, each plan being unique in their own way; but less people seem to have a survival plan for something like if a war broke out?
Where do you think my ideas come from?? :lol:
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Hargan wrote:I have a curious question relating to this:

Who says they don't? :)

Anyway, it's probably because zombies are the "default" collapse of society survival scenario. Also it's fairly predictable. You know what zombies can do and you know how to deal with them. War... war never changes. Other than that it always changes. What will work for fighting a poorly armed Zimbabwean military running around with AK's is not the same thing that will work for fighting high-tech US marines ziplining from helicopters. And there's really nothing you can do for tactical missiles, artillery shelling and drones than to be in a heavily fortified building. If someone uses chemical or biological weapons, well then you've got even less chance. Basically zombies can be dealt with, wars are just about praying and then getting as far away as fast as you can.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
jacojerb

Post by jacojerb »

Also, killing zombies is okay. They're already dead, yet still somewhat human

In war, you're gonna have to kill actual people... No thanks. I'd rather die myself
Mew?
Dasc-Crescent

Post by Dasc-Crescent »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:Well there are easier ways to get transport than modifying busses or trucks. Just pick up unused military, police or military-level vehicles. A zombie will do nothing to a Casspir (even a group of zombies) and you can get stuff like this.
While that would be absolutely bad ass, I guess I just liked the idea of having to do something makeshift and stuff :p
Schoolboy day dreaming and all.

Besides for some reason I've always liked buses and those big RVs, I don't like using them as public transport per se, but I like them on their own 0.0
And then there's the CAMI Terra Wind which is also amphibious. Because f*ck you that's why.
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian

Post by Raven Song »

I don't know if I've ever mentioned this but thanks to one of the projects I did for my old company in SA I actually have accesss/know how to access the site where the majority of Marauders/Armored Vehicles are based in Jozi...

So that helps :P
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Obsidian
Species: Dragon

Post by Obsidian »

Probably be easiest to go to a game reserve and wait for the zombies to die. Game reserves for the most part are able to run without external sources.

Remote location,
If the fences can keep out most animals they should be able to keep out most zombies,
It will have generators,
Fuel stockpiled,
Comfortable living space in the guest accommodation,
Guns usually used for dealing with rogue animals and maybe hunting,
Relatively few zombies to deal with compared to cities,
I know the Kruger has its own airport,
I think they generally have medical supplies on hand in case of emergencies
There will be somewhat constant source of food if the hunting savvy furs survive.

Food runs for other necessities once the game reserves own stockpiles are done may be a bit difficult but it wont be impossible and besides you just need to outlive the zombies. They cant possibly survive past 4 months.

If animals can be infected as well then well **** my plan is worthless.

War is too unpredictable to make any real plan for, best you can do is either have a plan to bunker down or leave the country quickly. Money will be pretty much the deciding factor in how much you could do.
It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, especially if you live near him.

Always be yourself..... Unless you can be a Dragon, then always be a Dragon
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Obsidian wrote:If the fences can keep out most animals they should be able to keep out most zombies,
Technically, they keep animals in and people out.
Obsidian wrote:If animals can be infected as well then well **** my plan is worthless.
http://residentevil.wikia.com/wiki/Wild_things

~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sev »

That's an absolutely tiny image. Looks like a zombified elephant.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Strangely enough they weren't making PS2 games in HD all the way back then. >.>

It is. You go to the zoo and find all the animals are zombies. Of course there were already zombie dogs in the second game. I never played the first so I'm not sure.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~