Suddenly! *a wild Nuclear Apocalypse appears*

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
Astro Fox
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Fox
Region: Freestate

Re: Suddenly! *a wild Nuclear Apocalypse appears*

Post by Astro Fox »

I have done basic 1st aid, and I was part of the boy scouts, I know how to tie a few knots.
I-O
Sexual preference: Bi-mostly gay
Species: Arctic Wolf
Region: Western Cape

Post by I-O »

Brutallis wrote:Then, lastly. Do we have a doctor in the house?
I was practically born for this job! I manage my entire school's first aid system!
"Friend" is not just a word to me...it means so much more.
Franky
The Bad Guy
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Mortally Challenged Fox
Region: Gauteng

Post by Franky »

So lets consider this realistically. (With Fallout)

A real nuclear apocalypse that only left use furries alive? Holy shit that must have been a serious bomb shelter type convention. XD Also at the scale and yield you're talking about opening the doors doomed us all with ionizing radiation.

But lets say somehow we did survive and have effective means of protecting ourselves from fallout. We need farm space also protected from the radiation. If keeping bugs off wasn't enough. If the area is entirely radiated it is practically impossible. In fact ground blast detonations produces radiation with 100% mortality in the fallout regions unless you were protected from it the entire time.

How close was the nearest attack? EMP or NEMP (Nuclear Electromagnetic Pulse) would have knocked out practically all ram, cpu's, HDD's etc... So even by utilizing generators or solar power we'd still be without modern technology indefinitely. Older circuitry might still work but for coms we'll have to search for working devices.

Firstly given the impossibility of the scenario I'd so no we won't.
Secondly if a certain set of circumstances actually did allow that I'd still say no. The fallout will be to great and the mere taste of ionized saliva will be an immediate indication.

Your scenario. (Without Fallout)

With out a doubt, yes we would. People have survived situations far worse. (Without a insane supply of livestock and farmland to be utilized just outside the cities.) This will be our destination though, the value of food and water will be the only thing worthwhile and yes it's a few steps back but it wouldn't be a problem. Humans adapt easily under stress trust me.

Also I'd be this guy...

Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Snow Leopard

Post by Adagio »

Inpw wrote:So lets consider this realistically. (With Fallout)

A real nuclear apocalypse that only left use furries alive? Holy shit that must have been a serious bomb shelter type convention. XD Also at the scale and yield you're talking about opening the doors doomed us all with ionizing radiation.

But lets say somehow we did survive and have effective means of protecting ourselves from fallout. We need farm space also protected from the radiation. If keeping bugs off wasn't enough. If the area is entirely radiated it is practically impossible. In fact ground blast detonations produces radiation with 100% mortality in the fallout regions unless you were protected from it the entire time.

How close was the nearest attack? EMP or NEMP (Nuclear Electromagnetic Pulse) would have knocked out practically all ram, cpu's, HDD's etc... So even by utilizing generators or solar power we'd still be without modern technology indefinitely. Older circuitry might still work but for coms we'll have to search for working devices.

Firstly given the impossibility of the scenario I'd so no we won't.
Secondly if a certain set of circumstances actually did allow that I'd still say no. The fallout will be to great and the mere taste of ionized saliva will be an immediate indication.

Your scenario. (Without Fallout)

With out a doubt, yes we would. People have survived situations far worse. (Without a insane supply of livestock and farmland to be utilized just outside the cities.) This will be our destination though, the value of food and water will be the only thing worthwhile and yes it's a few steps back but it wouldn't be a problem. Humans adapt easily under stress trust me.

Also I'd be this guy...

Yes... The EMP caused by multiple nuclear devices would be a problem, but wouldn't affect VHF crystal based 2 way radios, nor batteries and solar panels...

Also, wouldn't aqua phonics be a viable solution to polluted ground?
Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

Adagio wrote:Also, wouldn't aqua phonics be a viable solution to polluted ground?
Radioactive water. And even if you can somehow overcome this. We physically need a infrastructure already in place somewhere that will allow 300 or so people to live indoors. If you take all the SA furries.

But yeah this topic was without fallout.

Sheesh people there are more women in the SA fandom than Raven and Leeward. Is what happens when you go nowhere but the forum. :lol:
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Inpw wrote:
Adagio wrote:Also, wouldn't aqua phonics be a viable solution to polluted ground?
Radioactive water. And even if you can somehow overcome this. We physically need a infrastructure already in place somewhere that will allow 300 or so people to live indoors. If you take all the SA furries.

But yeah this topic was without fallout.

Sheesh people there are more women in the SA fandom than Raven and Leeward. Is what happens when you go nowhere but the forum. :lol:
Water only gets radioactive when it's polluted with radioactive material.
Bottled water should be fine...

I mean, a lot of food stuff is "irradiated" to kill off insects and things...

But I could be wrong..?
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Adagio wrote:I mean, a lot of food stuff is "irradiated" to kill off insects and things...

But I could be wrong..?
That is UV radiation as far as I know. Nothing like nuclear radiation.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:
Adagio wrote:I mean, a lot of food stuff is "irradiated" to kill off insects and things...

But I could be wrong..?
That is UV radiation as far as I know. Nothing like nuclear radiation.
Like I said... Don't know much about Radiation apart from tinkering with Tritium, and old smoke detectors
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Well UV radiation is a form of electromagnetic radiation. The same thing as light, radio waves, x rays and so on. They just differ by wavelength/frequency.
Nuclear radiation comes in three types and is due to emission of particles like electrons, neutrons and hydrogen atoms. At least I'm pretty sure those were the three things that are emitted. Anyway, it's alpha, beta and gamma radiation.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

Nuclear weapons have both prompt and residual radiation. Gamma rays (high frequency light) shoot out during the burn. This stops when the light stops and will be the least of your problems.

Residual radiation is thanks to the fission products and unreacted fuel contained in the cloud that will eventually fall to the ground. Hence the phrase "fall out" this is basically radioactive isotopes shooting out neutrons, electrons from the nucleus (beta) and helium 4 nuclei (alpha) affecting other atoms as well. The destabilised atoms including the fallout ones ionizes other atoms that essensially depending on some probabilty calculation release more high energy electro magnetic radiation that damages tissue.

Basically you can blast something with xrays / gamma rays and cause damage (Prompt radiation)

Or you have the stuff that takes 100's of years to decay that shoots out beta and alpha particles causing atoms to ionize and release some gamma rays here and there. (Residual radiation.)
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Hmm... Okay, so I was partly wrong, mostly with fine details. Alpha and Beta are particles. Gamma is nuclear radiation but still electromagnetic. Oh well. For more general points, some radiation is pretty pathetic.
Alpha particles may be completely stopped by a sheet of paper, beta particles by aluminium shielding. Gamma rays can only be reduced by much more substantial mass, such as a very thick layer of lead.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Obsidian
Species: Dragon

Post by Obsidian »

I can work electronics and power systems... badly
It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, especially if you live near him.

Always be yourself..... Unless you can be a Dragon, then always be a Dragon
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Obsidian wrote:I can work electronics and power systems... badly
Problem is the EMP will ruine all electronics that aren't stored in a faraday cage(Like yours truly's Safe/Mancave har har...)

So the PLC's that run the power stations will be useless, what will we do with that much power anyway?

A small solar system to power lights should be sufficient.
Maybe a hotplate or two for heat and cooking.
Charging non Digitally Synthesised radios(IE the kind that runs off of crystals, that I also incidentally stock :P)