The land of sorry and bears, Canada

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
Obsidian
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Dragon
Region: Gauteng

The land of sorry and bears, Canada

Post by Obsidian »

As a bunch know I am a Electrical and Electronic engineer who is doing his Masters specializing Signals and Telecommunications.

Last year I was invited to go present my research at a 5 day conference with a bunch of different professors in the same field around the world. During the conference I got bored of my peers as they were always drunk or just tedious to be around so I started bothering the eccentric professors instead. As it turns out one Professor, The Dean of Electrical engineering at the University of Alberta, liked my bothering and also liked my research presentation and extended me an invite to come do some research collaboration with him for a couple months.

I of course said absolutely as who passes up an all expenses paid trip to a cool country so I left at end of February and have since been getting into the swing of Canadian student life here. It was the mildest winter is recent memory apparently so I got off lucky in terms of the cold. I can get around anywhere for free by bus because I am a student which is nice.

The varsity itself is decently large and for some reason every single building has at least 2 coffee shops. There are many little lounges in every faculty for students to relax or work in. Many clubs to join and sports around.

I will post some pictures when I am not working in my lab.

I met the furry group here last night and they were nice and told me overwhelmingly to attend Fur Eh http://fureh.ca/wordpress/ which I will be doing but that is in May so relatively far away. I will take some pictures of their suits either at the event or when they next dress up
It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, especially if you live near him.

Always be yourself..... Unless you can be a Dragon, then always be a Dragon
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Re: The land of sorry and bears, Canada

Post by Leeward »

Hehehe Fur Eh XD
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sev »

Furry, fur 'ay, furrea?
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian
Region: Other

Post by Raven Song »

Canadians have the best sense of humour ever.

THATS SO COOL!!!!!!!!! You have to send us pics and keep us up to date!!!
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Obsidian

Post by Obsidian »

So some photos:

The view of the surrounding town from the engineering faculty (I took this one while it was still snowing)
20160229_093138.jpg
The Engineering faculty wherein I have made my lair (All the buildings in this photo belong to engineering)
20160315_154553.jpg
Awesome lounging area for students (1 of many)
20160315_154954.jpg
University has some a long line of shops selling everything from anime to legal advice, above the shops is student accomodation.
20160315_155635.jpg
The university has its own on campus metro station which to my 3rd country mentality was impressive.
20160315_155440.jpg
And I stay here(photo from their website because I forgot to take one myself) at a place called international house where they throw all of us foreigners so we don't influence the children with our backwards thinking and flatcaps.
https://www.residence.ualberta.ca/sites ... summer.jpg

I am a bad tourist and don't really know what else to show. I will at some point go to "The largest Mall in the Northern hemisphere" or so they say and take pictures but on the whole I don't like malls.
It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, especially if you live near him.

Randall
Species: Funambulus palmarum (Squirrel)

Post by Randall »

Nice, if you do happen to take a trip to Labrador, please post pics.
Neon
Species: Huskeh

Post by Neon »

Oh wow. This seems really really cool! I've always wanted to go to Canada. Enjoy what you can and make the most of it!
KinkInZA
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Liger

Post by KinkInZA »

wow hard work really does pay hehe congrats man have a good time while keeping up the hard work
“All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake up in the day to find it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
T.E. Lawrence
Obsidian

Post by Obsidian »

No one tells me what to do! Now I will be grumpy D:

Thanks guys, It is so far very difficult for me to get bored so as a result I am enjoying it a lot :D.

Unfortunately Labrador is on the other side of the country :P. Interestingly enough they celebrate st Patrick's day way harder than this province does. Apparently they got more Irish or something.

The people themselves are pretty nice but judging from the ones I have met very reserved, they seem pretty ok with hiding/running from me for the most part (It doesn't help I am pretty persistent). Even the professor who invited me is only now getting used to having a completely lost foreigner in his office now and then.

I got a bit lost nights ago ending up in some random suburb far from anything recognizable, so I took a casual stroll and eventually found a main street in a random area and got a bus. Was weird feeling somewhat safe just walking along a deserted street at night, or perhaps I am living in a blissful dreamworld and just got lucky.

Besides the downtown area this entire city is basically 1 story high on a flat surface
I can see till the mountain range from the 6th floor of the faculty. I will take a picture sometime.

Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Obsidian wrote:Was weird feeling somewhat safe just walking along a deserted street at night, or perhaps I am living in a blissful dreamworld and just got lucky.
Nah, have the same feeling in Vienna. Some places look a bit weird but I've been walking around the city alone around midnight and felt more relaxed than I did in Cape Town at noon.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Randall
Species: Funambulus palmarum (Squirrel)

Post by Randall »

Like when I worked in the Far East. The locals thought I was weird constantly clutching my bag and looking over my shoulder
Asbjorn-phoenix
Papa Bear
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: FireBear - Bear Phoenix hybrid

Post by Asbjorn-phoenix »

The land of bears and sorry, I shall have to visit soon, I believe the bears are quite friendly, especially those of the lumber jack variety.
Well hopefully I'll be able to make it there on a permanent basis sooner rather than later.
If you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear,
if you've something to hide you shouldn't be here.
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

10423289_1001019496620104_2588034799989005216_n.jpg
Obsidian

Post by Obsidian »

Watched a Ice Hockey match on Saturday. These guys are incredible on their skates, damnable 12 year old kids were great on the ice skating backwards without looking back and smashing that puck at extreme speeds.

I would have liked to do this sport in school, there were some clubs but the support for the sport as a whole is pretty low.

Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

Oh lookie! Obsidian is online at a time that I am also online, which is pretty late for South African's because he's in a whole different timezone!!!

yay!!!!!!

Also my dad once went to a ice hockey game with canadians at Madison square gardens in New York.
Said it was much better than the Football game he went to, but not quite as fun as the baseball game he went too...

American's do pansy sport, and the polite quiet Canadians do the violent ice fest :P