Emergency Response

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
Franky
The Bad Guy
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Mortally Challenged Fox
Region: Gauteng

Emergency Response

Post by Franky »

This should be an announcement but I'll rather leave it here cause it's not furry related.

I'm writing this in light of recent events that yet again stirred up some chaos in the South African furry community. I'm not going to mention what happened. And trust me it happened a few times before. So don't even ask.

We live in a dangerous world where incidents sometimes occurs which we all wish wouldn't. We are human beings who can and will at some point experience pain, damage and death. This is why emergency services are an important part of society. It is a big chunk out of your tax money to insure fast and effective personnel on site in light of such events.

The way to react is sometimes a problem I'm noticing, even though its been systematically explained to people since primary school for good reason. So let me reiterate. If you're in distress whether it's a fire, you're being assaulted, or whatever qualifies, with the access and the ability to contact emergency services. DO SO IMMEDIATELY!

DO NOT INFORM YOUR FRIEND OF THE SITUATION YOU'RE IN FIRST!

If you're fine, 100% sure of it and see no reason for emergency services. DO NOT CAUSE A PANIC WITH VAGUE COMMUNICATION TO YOUR FRIENDS OR FAMILY!

(If you were attacked or assaulted but still fine, PHONE THE DAMN POLICE TO RID US OF THESE PERPETRATORS!)

If for some reason you can only contact said friend or family member do so with as much information as you can. Exact location is helpful, your REAL name and phone number. This is where the following applies.

If you have reason to believe someone you know is in distress and needs this assistance CONTACT EMERGENCY SERVICES IMMEDIATELY!

DO NOT INFORM YOUR FRIEND OF THE SITUATION YOUR OTHER FRIEND IS IN FIRST!

DO NOT COMMUNICATE THE INFORMATION ON SOCIAL MEDIA OR SIMILAR PLATFORMS FIRST!

If you have reason to believe someone you know is in distress and needs this assistance but could not obtain some information CONTACT EMERGENCY SERVICES IMMEDIATELY!

They will acquire information so give them what you have and explain the situation thoroughly as with any incident.

If you can obtain information AFTER contacting emergency services, do so and contact them again with the updated information. TRY NOT TO CAUSE A PANIC! BE DESCRIPTIVE ABOUT THE SITUATION WHEN ACQUIRING WHAT YOU NEED!

If for some reason all of the above failed, there is panic and people are running around not knowing what to do and you're on the end this ridiculous telephone game. Contact emergency services if necessary and explain the ENTIRE SITUATION as you are experiencing it. Who sent the message, what platform, etc...

This last part is important because they'll need to know what they are dealing with. Misuse of emergency services is a criminal offense therefor you have to tell the truth exactly. Afterwards they'll hand out the slaps to whoever was responsible for the telephone game.

I have to stress how important it is for furries to understand the implications of their actions. I know a lot of furs that would immediately try and assist. There is no reason to either joke around about this stuff or play games with people. If there's at least one thing the fandom should take seriously it's this.
Randall
Species: Funambulus palmarum (Squirrel)

Re: Emergency Response

Post by Randall »

Well, when I was held up in the house, the first thing I did was make the family safe, then I got on the phone with the cops. Didn't do anything else, and my parents and friends only got the phone call after the cops were already there and the security firms etc...
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian
Region: Other

Post by Raven Song »

When I was hijacked outside my house the first thing I did was get the neighbours (because I had no phone) we phoned the security company, the cops and the EMS immediately (The Ambulance was dispatched to treat me for shock... not that I needed it... I was more angry than in shock and spent the time waiting making supper...) Only then did I phone my mother to get her home to help me out.

My family and friends only found out later that night/the next day. Except my boss. He found out just after my mom got home because we had to cancel my trip to Zimbabwe...
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

I understand that not having someone you met online's real details is a safety measure, but even if you do, it still isn't enough. When one particular fur was having one of his breakdowns and threatening suicide, I called the police in his town and gave them his real name and number, but they couldn't do anything without an address. We had to rely on furs nearby to find out if he was okay.
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Species: Snow Leopard

Post by Adagio »

Leeward wrote:I understand that not having someone you met online's real details is a safety measure, but even if you do, it still isn't enough. When one particular fur was having one of his breakdowns and threatening suicide, I called the police in his town and gave them his real name and number, but they couldn't do anything without an address. We had to rely on furs nearby to find out if he was okay.
I was thinking of starting up an emergency contacts list for occasions like these?
Like a close relative or friends number for ICOE or the person in question being unreachable?

I know its risky and all... Especially since most people don't want their friends and family knowing about the whole furry thing?

Just a few comments...
The SA emergency services are PATHETIC.
When one of our houses burnt down. They took so long to respond, by the time they got there, it was too late.

We never even bother calling the ambulance service. We use Langaned, a privately owned ambulance service.

The police was so pathetic, when we handed them criminals, with the stolen guns they used to rob people, with eye witnesses, they still let them go the next day...
Randall

Post by Randall »

Its a good idea Adagio but pretty technical to implement.
Well at least you know where I am located, and can get hold me on the phone in case of emergency
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Well we are a community that is somewhat akin to a support group, so I wouldn't be opposed to such a list for emergency use only. It should be located somewhere everything is logged though, to prevent abuse.
Randall

Post by Randall »

OK, well the contact list thing worked out pretty well. Nobody has stalked me, heaven forbid.
But ja, someone will have to administer this, preferably a moderator/admin.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

I wonder if this would actually make a good project for the community representatives? We could set it up off-forum to include other furs too, and have a handful of trustworthy viewers who would collectively be reachable at all times to retrieve info from it. I'll get the ball rolling on that.
Randall

Post by Randall »

There we go, thanks Leeward. As always, you're on the pulse of the furry community
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

When we were in primary school we had a "phone tree". It included one next of kin for each child so if a kid broke a leg while at a school event that next of kin was notified. They were often not the parents but rather a person more readily available...

Is there not a way that in our personal info (the stuff no one can see) that we can put a next of kin and details in there. that way if something happens we can contact any one of the mods or admins and they can pull it and bobs your uncle...
Randall

Post by Randall »

As long as you don't have that kind of info on the forum. Sooner or later these kinds of forums get hacked, and that kind of info in the wrong hands... you know the story there.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Yup. Working on it, keeps your hats on.
Randall

Post by Randall »

Thanks Leeward.
Tocs
The glowing blue panda
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Husky

Post by Tocs »

Thanks for posting this after what happened recently
For the most part, it is pointless to be sad in life.
Because sad spelt backwards is das
And das not good
Love every stranger, the stranger the better
The darker the night, the brighter I glow!
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

I must say I am rather curious as to what precipitated this.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

A long... long... event...

I had flashbacks... many, many flashbacks...
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sev »

My curiosity has also been piqued.

And does that mean that if I threaten suicide, that one of you guys, say Taka or Leeward, will have to fly over to the US immediately?
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

Well at the moment it seems to be Ivic and an accomplice (either Doge or Asbjorn) who run about in the dark of the night... like batman... and robin....
Franky
The Bad Guy
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Mortally Challenged Fox

Post by Franky »

Sev wrote:And does that mean that if I threaten suicide, that one of you guys, say Taka or Leeward, will have to fly over to the US immediately?
This is exactly it. Contacting someone with limited or no information of your whereabouts and supplying sufficient evidence that you're in trouble is attention seeking.

There is nothing we can do. People abroad are technically on their own when in distress when contacting someone here. The telephone game is a mess for ER.

Treat the damn fandom as if you'd treat any random person in real life.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Well it is kind of monumentally stupid to first contact someone on the other side of the planet when you need urgent help.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

You're missing the point, there's no imminent danger to myself; I just need people to think that there is so that they come and visit me over here.
TakaLion
Species: Lion

Post by TakaLion »

Sev wrote:My curiosity has also been piqued.

And does that mean that if I threaten suicide, that one of you guys, say Taka or Leeward, will have to fly over to the US immediately?

You're missing the point, there's no imminent danger to myself; I just need people to think that there is so that they come and visit me over here.
So help me sky Mufasa. I can't speak for Leeward, but if you'll do that I'll fly over there just to kill you myself. I'll plunge into the depths of Hades, plead for your soul to return. And kill you again when it does. :3
Is a lion, does lion things, Rawr!
*Falls asleep* :3
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

Sev wrote:You're missing the point, there's no imminent danger to myself; I just need people to think that there is so that they come and visit me over here.
This plan... can I steal it... I want visitors too!!!!
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Will you fly over anyway, then? I'm missing you guys!
TakaLion
Species: Lion

Post by TakaLion »

I'll visit the States sometime.. When, I don't know exactly, but I shall.. And when i do, there shall be much meeting up :P
Is a lion, does lion things, Rawr!
*Falls asleep* :3
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

That would be awesome.