For the love of the Planet

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian
Region: Other

For the love of the Planet

Post by Raven Song »

So my time as a fundraiser on behalf of WWF really did me the world of good.

This thread isn't here to plug WWF but I will be highlighting some of the stuff they do just to give the thread context.

I LOVE MY PLANET! This is an important part of everyone's lives. I met a man who, when asked "Do you care about the planet" was mortified to learn that there are people who actually don't care about our planet! And that's the sad thing.

WWF is the worlds number one ranked conservation organisation, ahead of Greenpeace in both efforts and members. WWF (World Wide Fund for Nature... that's the actual name) has done more to save the planet than most conservation charities, because they work with both animals and ecosystems...

We only have one planet, and it kills me to see and hear about the things that happen to destroy it on a daily basis.

So this thread is to discuss conservation, the good and the bad things going on, and ways we as individuals help our planet.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Re: For the love of the Planet

Post by Leeward »

It's simple: instil a love of nature, our planet, and our universe into our children. If everyone cared at least enough to not actively destroy, this would be a non-issue.
jacojerb
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: bunny/fox
Region: Gauteng

Post by jacojerb »

It's getting a lot better. People are a lot more aware, and a lot of people are actively doing good

There is still a lot of damage done, and a lot of things in place that are doing damage that can't change over night... So a lot of work left. But people realise that something must be done
Mew?
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

Leeward wrote:It's simple: instil a love of nature, our planet, and our universe into our children. If everyone cared at least enough to not actively destroy, this would be a non-issue.
It's not that simple. Having been on the front line and seen what these charities go through I can tell you now, ignorance is rife. Parent's don't give their kids time to stop and learn something. Certain school are educating kids yes, but there are thousands more that don't bother. Do you have any idea how many twelve and thirteen year olds didn't know that rhino's don't come from the amazon...
jacojerb wrote:It's getting a lot better. People are a lot more aware, and a lot of people are actively doing good

There is still a lot of damage done, and a lot of things in place that are doing damage that can't change over night... So a lot of work left. But people realise that something must be done
I'm glad you think it's got a lot better. Yes the number of aware beings has grown, but so has the number of unaware beings.

There's definitely a lot of work to be done.

One of the saddest arguments I had during my time working with the fundraisers was with a young African/European woman who insisted she didn't need to join the cause because "we should be getting the governments like China to stop the drive for poaching." and I had this too say to her:

Yes, the governments of countries such as Vietnam and China should be the ones stopping the drive, but they will not stop it if they don't have sufficient enough push from "evolved" governments like European ones. And out government (referencing UK) wont do it unless they feel they have the support to make the push. If one man pushes a rock at China, the rock does not move. If a thousand people push a rock at China, the Chinese have to start doing something about it or they will be flattened.

She still refused to sign up with us because she felt it wasn't her problem. And in the course of three weeks I met probably 100 people like that. When compared with the 10 that felt they should do something... I lost a lot of faith in humanity during that time...

Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sev »

People thinking that something is not their problem is an all too common thing, unfortunately. Another common thing is when people continue to do something simply "because everyone else does it as well".
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

That was my worst habit at my old company:

Me: I'm not changing the way we calculate the wine market in SA.
New Boss: Why not? It's long and stupid.
Me: Because we've always don't it this way...
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

RavenSong wrote:
Leeward wrote:It's simple: instil a love of nature, our planet, and our universe into our children. If everyone cared at least enough to not actively destroy, this would be a non-issue.
It's not that simple. Having been on the front line and seen what these charities go through I can tell you now, ignorance is rife. Parent's don't give their kids time to stop and learn something. Certain school are educating kids yes, but there are thousands more that don't bother. Do you have any idea how many twelve and thirteen year olds didn't know that rhino's don't come from the amazon...
I meant that if the problem is addressed at the root cause (i.e. education), it will disappear. I realise that implementing it is not simple or straightforward, but the concept is really basic. Educating kids about the natural world and its importance is the first step towards creating a society that genuinely cares about its environment.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Leeward wrote:I meant that if the problem is addressed at the root cause (i.e. education), it will disappear. I realise that implementing it is not simple or straightforward, but the concept is really basic. Educating kids about the natural world and its importance is the first step towards creating a society that genuinely cares about its environment.
That's not an issue just of education, it's an issue of values. People can know about everything but still not care.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Look at Ryall "Nihilism" Hyena for a perfect example of that. :P
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Perhaps, but isn't there a correlation between understanding and caring about something? You can't exactly care about something you don't know about, let alone understand. At the very least, wouldn't knowing that exploiting the planet for short-term gain will cause long-term damage trigger some kind of guilt? Or even condemnation from peers?
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

I agree with you that there needs to be way more education but from what I've seen, especially in the older generations, is that people actually don't want to know.

Ignorance is bliss and all..

And that saddens me because, in the words of President Barack Obama:
We are the first generation to experience global warming, and we are the last generation who can do anything about it...
Hargan
Species: Foxeh

Post by Hargan »

Yes, I'm quite known for looking on the negative side of things and such like, but I kinda think that if humanity hasn't gotten their game together with regards to the earth very soon, then they won't until they hit the saturation point.

Will that be too late? Who knows? Who can tell with humanity?

Quick explanation of saturation point: earth can sustain x amount of lifeforms. Once that point is hit, things kinda go down badly. Very basic explanation, I know, but it works.
Warning: Has been known to speak his mind

Firm believer in Spiral Power
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

I've read that if our resources were managed more responsibly, that the Earth would have no problem supporting the world's current population.
Hargan

Post by Hargan »

Sev, not only do I agree with you, but managed properly, it could even support the rest of the wildlife that we share this world with too.

The world has an abundance of resources.... and yet, we always seem to have so little

Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

Did you know that it is estimated that if sea temperatures continue to rise for the next fifty years, a large portion of the algae which makes our oxygen (because only like, 30% of our oxygen comes from trees) would die out and we would face some seriously heavy consequences...

Of course this did come from a weird science lecturer at Derby University...
Hargan

Post by Hargan »

Look, anything that upsets the ecology will in the long term hit humanity in a hard way. That's why we're here with global warming.

It won't take all the algae to die off for humanity to be screwed over by the lack of sea life.

It won't take all the rainforests to be cut down before it impacts us.

Because in small ways, it already is impacting us. We don't see it because we only see the larger picture, not the small concerning details from different fields of study

Huskitty
Species: Cat

Post by Huskitty »

Humanity is far more conscious about the environment than 20 years (and more) ago. But, we are also developing at the highest rate than ever. So it may seem like we are getting worse, technically we are far better minded in terms of the environment. Ive had to study the affect of development on the environment as part of my Civil engineering degree. The laws and practices put in place today are far more refined for environmental protection than what it used to be. However, as my lecturer once told us, any development (roads, bridges, buildings, pipelines etc.) will, using current technology, negatively affect the environment, no matter how much we might try to minimize it. And that is something we have to live with if we want to be engineers.

The main problem is that technological development is growing faster than environmental development and awareness. I believe the best thing would be for humanity to stop developing infrastructure at such a high rate for a few decades and let the environmental development catch up. However that isnt likely. My best bet is that when things get to a point where people are truly suffering due to environmental damage, then only will big changes start to happen. But, we might just be able to miss an extreme scenario if we can come up with environmentally safe technologies fast enough, technologies which can give the same desired result as our current ones. Due to the ever developing nature of humans, i believe the best way to spend time and money would be to develop environmentally friendly technology, instead of spending that money trying to save the environment. Dont get me wrong though, energy spent to save the environment is definitely helping and is giving more people an environmental mindset, but I believe not enough energy is being placed in the right direction.

Yes I realize most people wont read all that :P , but I like writing out my thoughts sometimes.
Last edited by Huskitty on Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

Humanity will sadly never stop developing infrastructure. Because there are countries that NEED to have their infrastructure developed, so while they're being developed the rest of the world isn't going to just sit back and watch.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

On the other hand, for perspective, if you look at images of the Earth taken from space, the only visual clue that humans even exist are the lights seen in urban areas at night. And before anyone mentions it, no, you can't see the Great Wall of China from space; in fact you can barely see it from just 160km up.
Huskitty
Species: Cat

Post by Huskitty »

Hargan wrote:Look, anything that upsets the ecology will in the long term hit humanity in a hard way. That's why we're here with global warming.

It won't take all the algae to die off for humanity to be screwed over by the lack of sea life.

Because in small ways, it already is impacting us. We don't see it because we only see the larger picture, not the small concerning details from different fields of study
Many people seem to believe that humans will "cut down all forests to the last tree" or "fish until all sea life is gone" . I personally dont believe this is true. The effect on the environment will become too sever for humanity way before its too late for the environment to recuperate. Also, there are what, 8 billion+ people on the planet ? Humanity may suffer sever losses, but we will never be screwed. Generations in the far future will learn from our mistake, and will also be better equipped with newer technology to develop the world in harmony with nature.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Huskitty wrote:Many people seem to believe that humans will "cut down all forests to the last tree" or "fish until all sea life is gone" . I personally dont believe this is true. The effect on the environment will become too sever for humanity way before its too late for the environment to recuperate. Also, there are what, 8 billion+ people on the planet ? Humanity may suffer sever losses, but we will never be screwed. Generations in the far future will learn from our mistake, and will also be better equipped with newer technology to develop the world in harmony with nature.
Well, history is not entirely on your side.

Take Easter Island for example.
Around 1400 the Easter Island palm became extinct due to overharvesting. Its capability to reproduce has become severely limited by the proliferation of rats, introduced by the islanders when they first arrived, which ate its seeds. In the years after the disappearance of the palm, ancient garbage piles reveal that porpoise bones declined sharply. The islanders, no longer with the palm wood needed for canoe building, could no longer make journeys out to sea. Consequently, the consumption of land birds, migratory birds, and mollusks increased. Soon land birds went extinct and migratory bird numbers were severely reduced, thus spelling an end for Easter Island's forests. Already under intense pressure by the human population for firewood and building material, the forests lost their animal pollinators and seed dispersers with the disappearance of the birds. Today, only one of the original 22 species of seabird still nests on Easter Island.
Or the Aral Sea.
Formerly one of the four largest lakes in the world with an area of 68,000 km2 (26,300 sq mi), the Aral Sea has been steadily shrinking since the 1960s after the rivers that fed it were diverted by Soviet irrigation projects. By 2007, it had declined to 10% of its original size, splitting into four lakes – the North Aral Sea, the eastern and western basins of the once far larger South Aral Sea, and one smaller lake between the North and South Aral Seas. By 2009, the southeastern lake had disappeared and the southwestern lake had retreated to a thin strip at the western edge of the former southern sea; in subsequent years, occasional water flows have led to the southeastern lake sometimes being replenished to a small degree. Satellite images taken by NASA in August 2014 revealed that for the first time in modern history the eastern basin of the Aral Sea had completely dried up. The eastern basin is now called the Aralkum desert.
Or, while it's not the only proposed explanation, there is the overkill hypothesis for the extinction of North American megafauna. And it doesn't seem to have only been there either.
A 2015 study corroborated the hypothesis further by several thousands scenarios which mapped the time windows in which each species is known to have become extinct, and humans are known to have arrived on different continents or islands. This was compared against climate reconstructions for the last 90,000 years. The researchers found correlations of human spread and species extinction indicating that the human impact was the main cause of the extinction, while climate change exacerbated the frequency of extinctions.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

Huskitty wrote:
Hargan wrote:Look, anything that upsets the ecology will in the long term hit humanity in a hard way. That's why we're here with global warming.

Many people seem to believe that humans will "cut down all forests to the last tree" or "fish until all sea life is gone" . I personally dont believe this is true. The effect on the environment will become too sever for humanity way before its too late for the environment to recuperate. Also, there are what, 8 billion+ people on the planet ? Humanity may suffer sever losses, but we will never be screwed. Generations in the far future will learn from our mistake, and will also be better equipped with newer technology to develop the world in harmony with nature.
Have you even seen the pictures of deforestation???

if companies like P&G had their way there would be 100's and 1000's of acres...hectares... dedicated to palm oil groves... animals like Orangutans can't live in that???

Honestly, as cruel as it sounds, I don't care very much for the major portion of the 8 billion people, who, by the way, suffer almost as badly as the animals... I'm worried about the legacy us, the stupid humans, will be leaving on this planet. At least when decades of animals trampling the same pathway into the earths surface occurs, it looks pretty... aint nothing pretty about the road leading from Jozi to PTA.

We do not live in a sustainable society, not just from a point of resources, but from a point of space. You said it yourself, 8 billion people.
There is 510 million square kilometers of land space on earth.
That's 5 100 000 000 000 000 square meters.
There's 8 000 000 000 people on the planet.
Take away the space needed for farming. The space needed for transport. The space that isn't viable (33% of the earth is desert - both sand and snow). How much is left for the likes of animals to live in their natural habitat?

If you break things down into numbers, people aren't just screwed... at the rate we as a society are going, those films we laugh at where we fuck up the planet so need to go looking for a new planet are going to become a reality. Except we don't have that tech... So everything is screwed.

We've seen the devastating affect over fishing has had... not just for us... Humans almost absent mindedly forget that they aren't the only creatures who rely on fish for sustanence... yeah we're safer with chickens and cows etc. because they don't have "natural preditors" but fish, we might as well start saying so long to all the dolphins because between over fishing and the Japanese (I know, it's stereotypical and mean but I was reminded of The Cove again by Inpw and now I'm grumpy) we aint gonna have them around for the next generation of kids.

right. enough grumpy ranting. The numbers are all researched but the opinions are very much scewed towards my own dislike of the human race.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:
Formerly one of the four largest lakes in the world with an area of 68,000 km2 (26,300 sq mi), the Aral Sea has been steadily shrinking since the 1960s after the rivers that fed it were diverted by Soviet irrigation projects. By 2007, it had declined to 10% of its original size, splitting into four lakes – the North Aral Sea, the eastern and western basins of the once far larger South Aral Sea, and one smaller lake between the North and South Aral Seas. By 2009, the southeastern lake had disappeared and the southwestern lake had retreated to a thin strip at the western edge of the former southern sea; in subsequent years, occasional water flows have led to the southeastern lake sometimes being replenished to a small degree. Satellite images taken by NASA in August 2014 revealed that for the first time in modern history the eastern basin of the Aral Sea had completely dried up. The eastern basin is now called the Aralkum desert.
And unfortunately, that's not the only example of that happening.

Lakes that are drying up.
Hargan

Post by Hargan »

Hokay: Regarding the comment about not all humans would die. It's a possibility, but that doesn't make it any less of an extreme situation. If we take a purely fictional example of Battlestar Galactica, and half apply it here: Sure, there's 50 000 humans left after all 12 planets were nuked to oblivion, but there's not much for you in the depths of space. Now, applying this to earth, we might get a similar: sure, there's 50 000 people, but there's not much left in the wasteland that was once earth. Frankly, I'd rather not be one of those around at that time.

A point of perspective not really focused on here, but is equally important: Fresh water. Yeah... this is gonna become more of a restrained resource if things keep going the way they are. Hell, I believe you can now find traces of mercury in many fish. I don't have a corresponding article, as let's face it, sensationalism, but if that is true... well, humanity is really buggered on the water situation.

So it's not just that lakes and such are drying up, but that the ones we have, a large number are polluted badly. In this case, I would even go so far as to say 10% being polluted would be a very bad situation. I wonder what the actual levels are...

If you need any proof of this, go take a look at our lakes in South Africa

Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

Hargan wrote:
A point of perspective not really focused on here, but is equally important: Fresh water. Yeah... this is gonna become more of a restrained resource if things keep going the way they are. Hell, I believe you can now find traces of mercury in many fish. I don't have a corresponding article, as let's face it, sensationalism, but if that is true... well, humanity is really buggered on the water situation.
Ten years ago a doctor would recommend that you eat one portion of fish oil and one portion of fish if you were pregnant (in a week).
Today doctors tell you to avoid all fish with the exception of Haddock and Sole. This is because most fish have such high concentrates of mercury that they can cause massive defects in the unborn child. Tuna is now being avoided by most UK restaurants and they've replaced it with Salmon imported into the various fish markets. Fish markets across the UK are suffering because the educated people and people who read reports in the newspapers don't want to eat fish... Most of the fish in our supermarkets is imported from across the channel...
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

SO!!!!

How many of you have sat and thought "I wish I could do more to save the planet"? Well! Here's the simplest easiest way to do that, and it'll take just one hour of your Saturday!!!

Saturday 19 March, from 8.300pm to 9.30pm, we are tasked with the simplest of requests... Switch off your lights.

Join Earth Hour as a global initiative and help save the planet, with one light switch.

Help darken the earth, to brighten our future
3.jpg
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

RavenSong wrote:Saturday 19 March, from 8.300pm to 9.30pm, we are tasked with the simplest of requests... Switch off your lights.

Join Earth Hour as a global initiative and help save the planet, with one light switch.
Well since I just recently got electricity for my new apartment I know I don't need to bother. They provide a breakdown of where the electricity comes from.

Green electricity (excl. Water) 25.21%
  • Wind Energy 18.09%
    Solar Energy 2.73%
    Biomass 3.35%
    Other renewable energy 1.04%
Hydropower 74.79%
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

It still counts Rakuen. Even if it isn't the usage, its the moral. it's the coming together. I mean seriously.