Cars!

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
Keita Haruka
Alpha Wolf
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Black wolf
Region: Gauteng

Cars!

Post by Keita Haruka »

I see that quite a few furs here share my interest in cars, so I thought I'd make a thread about it. I know there's just too many car related topics out there to fit in just one thread, so feel free to post others, but I thought I'd get the ball rolling. :mrgreen:

So tell us! What do drive? What do you like or dislike?

Myself...I'm a fan of Mercedes-Benz, and drive an old 1980 model, but I can at least appreciate the strengths and weaknesses of other makes...although I dislike BMW and Ferrari quite a bit. Oddly enough...in F1 BMW is my second team after McLaren. It was really great to see them finish so close to Ferrari. :mrgreen:

Anyway...here's a pic of m pride and joy. :mrgreen:
Attachments
Zandramas2.jpg
Zandramas2.jpg (46.87 KiB) Viewed 7635 times
Zandramas1.jpg
Zandramas1.jpg (57.63 KiB) Viewed 7634 times
Zandramas3.jpg
Zandramas3.jpg (39.58 KiB) Viewed 7630 times
Dracius
Ilache Darastri
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Dragon
Region: Western Cape

Re: Cars!

Post by Dracius »

oohh! thats a sweet classic. And on top of that, its in an excellent condition!

My late grandfather used to own a Merc exactly like that, a 280SE, was also in excellent condition. I've drove it quite a few times and I must say that it drives extremely smooth!!

*thumbs up* AWESOME!

As for my car... I just got it recently, a Honda Ballade 180i (I had a same colour/shape ballade before this, just a 150i. XD) Ok, so... I'm gonna be modding it here and there (as usual..) and as soon as a couple of things are done, I'll be posting it here for ya all to see.

I -love- cars. and I'm a crazy dragon!

And of course I'd love a highly modified track conversion of an E92 BMW 320i. Yes, it must also be white. XD
Part founder of the Ilache Darastri Clan.

Keita Haruka
Alpha Wolf

Post by Keita Haruka »

:mrgreen: Thanks Draggie! She's an awesome old thing! Slow but wonderful. We have a 280S as well. It's similar to the 280SE of your grandfather, but had a carburettor and about 20kW less power than the 280SE.

Hondas are great! We never had a 180i, but the 150, 160i and Vtec we had was great! They're among the best engineered cars in the world.

lol! Oh, Draggie, you just stepped into one of the commonest mistakes people make.

Your granddad's 280SE was a W116, an older generation S-class Benz. It's a generation older that mine, and a class higher up. Mine is a W123, an older E-class. They look very similar. it's easy to mistake them for each other if you're not a Merc fan. Here's a pic of a W116. Compare it to mine and you'll see the differences. They're really quite distinct, and the interiors are completely dissimilar.
Attachments
450SEL6.9_dash.jpg
450SEL6.9_dash.jpg (12.68 KiB) Viewed 7610 times
1980_Mercedes_Benz_350SE_Green.jpg
1980_Mercedes_Benz_350SE_Green.jpg (49.49 KiB) Viewed 7602 times
Dracius
Ilache Darastri

Post by Dracius »

Oh right, thanks for pointing that out Keita! I see the differences now, and they are quite vast. Though... I should of noticed the different interior with your car. I remember my grandfathers Merc coming with a Sunroof, very bouncy seats and very nice interior wood trimmings. Oh! and it had a button to extend the car's radio antenna. o..O

Yea, I'm loving this Honda :D Its a little high for me at the moment, but I'll be fitting it with a couple of things very soon. I'll create a thread and post pics once I've done the first few adjustments ^..^

Baker
Sexual preference: Bi-mostly gay
Species: Husky

Post by Baker »

Cars! My Favourite!

I thought I'd show off my, recently acquired, complete collection of cheap, plastic Ferraris from Shell. It’s about all the Ferrari I can afford at the moment *shrugs*. I like Ferrari but as far as F1 goes Hamilton is my favourite driver. I’ll post a few pics of my car sometime when it gets back from the panel beater. I was unfortunate enough to have someone drive into the back of me in my poor Hyundai a couple of months ago. Right now I’m driving a 2000 model Ford Mondeo 2.5 Si. Very nice engine, it was the ST in Europe back then.

I could go on about cars forever but it’s time to get back to studying. *yawns*

Oh, I have 2 more of those Ferrari models to play with, I've already taken one apart and put it back together again, it's faster now *smiles*.
Attachments
Is my Ferrari.JPG
Is my Ferrari.JPG (130.78 KiB) Viewed 7584 times
*nods*
Dracius
Ilache Darastri

Post by Dracius »

Sweet! Another car fanatic :P *waves to baker* Mmm, interesting collection of cars you got there. I know what you mean though... those cars are so sweet, but they are only a dream. But... Just do what I did to get the closest experience. Invest in a steering wheel for your PC :) I've got a 26" LCD coupled to my PC, so it feels pretty immersive. Now, I just need to get the frame + bucket seat combo ^..^ its just so expensive though...

Sorry to hear about that accident, hope it comes back from the panel beaters in the condition it should be. Wooohh, thats a -sweet- Ford. Must be quite nippy too. Thats the 5 cylinder turbo motor? (thats used in the local ST and Volvo T4/T5's)

Cant wait till I post my pics here, though my lowering kit is only coming in 2 weeks... sadmuzzle... I might just get my exhaust setup in the mean time.

Baker

Post by Baker »

Yeah, a steering wheel is something to consider. Nothing beats that feeling of driving the real thing though.

The Mondeo is a 2.5 V6 24v which redlines at 6800rpm 125kw. It's a big car and weighs about 1440kg. I'm planning on a few modifications in the near future, just intake an exhaust upgrade then an ECU upgrade. It should be fun. 4k to 7k rpm is awesome.
*nods*
Dracius
Ilache Darastri

Post by Dracius »

Baker wrote:Yeah, a steering wheel is something to consider. Nothing beats that feeling of driving the real thing though.
Yea, of course, but when the vehicle nearly costs as much as a huge house, I start looking for some alternatives XD

Sweet upgrades. That should definitely boost things a bit, you'd at least get around 150kw from those small upgrades. No warranty left on the Ford I take it?

Baker

Post by Baker »

Dracius wrote: No warranty left on the Ford I take it?
No, well it's a 2000 model. Have a look.
Attachments
P100408_15.01[01].JPG
P100408_15.01[01].JPG (45.35 KiB) Viewed 7533 times
P100408_15.01.JPG
P100408_15.01.JPG (26.6 KiB) Viewed 7529 times
P100408_15.00.JPG
P100408_15.00.JPG (24.98 KiB) Viewed 7529 times
*nods*
Dracius
Ilache Darastri

Post by Dracius »

Oh, a 2000 model. Sorry, I didnt realise that.

Ahhh, I see. Its the old shape and all. Sweet ride :)

We have a Ford Bantum bakkie with that exact interior. Its pretty much half of your car, lol.

Wolfers
Snugglebeast
Species: Wolf/Bear

Post by Wolfers »

Aha, four wheel heeeaven. *grins*

Keita, your Merc is in a fantastic condition, wow.. My dad had two of those, a beige and a white, both 230s. He also had a 280S like the one you showed Dracius, as well as the newer shape 280S that came just after that one. I loooved thadt car. My mom called it a ship, tho. *chuckles* So... you'd let me drive it, riiiiight? *cute puppy eyes*

Attached is pics of my lil' runabout, a 1996 Mazda 323 Midge 130. It's stock standard, except for a freeflow and MP3 Player. It sounds much faster than it is. I have a hard time keeping up with Husky Baker's Accent. *laughs*
The radio itself is a show model, and quite rare, as i understand it. Sony CDX-MP40 XPlod. Apparently, if i lose the faceplate, it would be easier just to get a new radio *chuckles*

In one of the pics you can see my mom's Renault Scenic, which is a great car IMO.

My fav cars of all time will have to be the Porsche 911 line... It's just such a darn stubborn car. It defies physics. It's got an engine in the boot but the handling is exemplary... *gets goosebumps* I want a 1972 911 2.4S Targa sooooo bad. The one released just before the Carerra RS 2.7. The RS would do too, but the Targa is stunning... I'm getting carried away, hahah!
Attachments
Photo-1999.jpg
Photo-1999.jpg (95.87 KiB) Viewed 7485 times
P29-11-07_11.15.jpg
P29-11-07_11.15.jpg (190.25 KiB) Viewed 7490 times
~Wolfers~

Professional Animal Impersonator
Dracius
Ilache Darastri

Post by Dracius »

Yea Wolfers, that 280SE is -excellent-. I'm really thinking about taking a drive to my uncles place and tell him that I'll gas it up and give it a wash. Its in a showroom condition!! This car puts newer cars of today to shame. And yes, it DOES drive like a ship!! The body is CM away from rolling around a corner, lol!

Sweet Mazda, must sound great with the powerflow ;) hehe, that speed issue can easily be sorted out, but then you'd be paying R10 petrol for every 1KM you drive, haha!.

The Targa... is just awesome. O..o

I got fitted to my car a ported induction kit, yesterday morning. Car sounds sweet now and pulls slightly better and it even lost some weight due to the INSANE amount of stuff making up the standard airboxes. I'll take some pics later today ^..^

Keita Haruka
Alpha Wolf

Post by Keita Haruka »

Hehe. My uncle had a Midge for a while. I never got to try it though. He traded it in for an Uno (of all things :roll: ). I know of quite a few guys who modded their Midges to a fair-thee-well. Indestructible little things!

Hehe. Yeah. Those old Benzes were not exactly designed to be track-day specials. :P Although you can have some serious fun in them if you're willing to compromise a little. Our 280S has a manual 'box. Given a bit of space, you can "drift" it with minimal effort. People find it totally amazing that you can put some serious smoke on the tires if you really want to. :lol: I don't really like to do that though. But it is priceless to see the looks of astonishment on the faces of the Beemer drivers. I do sometimes like to take them down a notch or two. :P

Wolfers...nice dream car there! I like those old Porsches myself. My own dream car though...would be the Merc 300SEL 6.3. Those were built between 1968 and 1972. That thing could could run with the Ferraris and and Lamborghinis of its time and was the fastest production saloon in the world. It's the one that started the supersaloon craze. :mrgreen: It came with air suspension which gave it the handling and roadholding to match the Italians. An amazing car. True...today a BMW 330i would just about match it for performance, but back then, it was a supercar.
Dracius
Ilache Darastri

Post by Dracius »

My dream is to just get mine back XD I took it away today to have a little dent fixed and my front bumper resprayed. I also did a decent job of cutting away alot of the "crap" that the bumper was showing, which is going to be replaced by some Evo Mesh grille.

Cant wait till friday!! *wags his super long tail*

DrakeyOconnell
Region: Other

Post by DrakeyOconnell »

I have a car of my own too, I own a "94 Honda Civic LX. Its very cheap on gas :P thank dog. Here is a pic of it
Attachments
PIC_0442.JPG
PIC_0442.JPG (231.48 KiB) Viewed 7442 times
PIC_0440.JPG
PIC_0440.JPG (242.2 KiB) Viewed 7442 times
my car.jpg
my car.jpg (207 KiB) Viewed 7436 times
In a land of desire your heart filled with fire
You live for the right to be free
We will sail on, forever on to the land of the evening star

Mate to the wonderful, cute, and lovable Acey
Keita Haruka
Alpha Wolf

Post by Keita Haruka »

Ah...that brings back memories. :) We had a '94 Civic of the same shape (although locally they were known as the Ballade). We had 215000 troublefree kilometers in it before a taxi did some forced alterations and she ended up destroyed. :cry:
DrakeyOconnell

Post by DrakeyOconnell »

Yeah, cool. Well the fact that it got destroyed isn't really cool XD. But yeah, I still drive it I have a new sound system in it and now there is a crack in the windsheild. But I can still drive it, since I can't get fined because the crack isn't in my line of sight, but it won't past inspection. I plan on getting it replaced when I have the money to get it replaced.

Dracius
Ilache Darastri

Post by Dracius »

DrakeyOconnell!! *pounces and attaches himself* XD ya got a honda! I have a ballade too, just the model after XD

Which motor is that? the 1.6i? You should try keeping it and turning it into a little toy ;) those things are demons with aftermarket turbo kits. So easy to manage that engine and there are TONS of parts for that car.

*claws up*

DrakeyOconnell

Post by DrakeyOconnell »

Hehehe, nice to know I am not the only one who thinks that honda's are kick @$$. I will get the specs of it for ya soon.

Dracius
Ilache Darastri

Post by Dracius »

Haha!!! Awesome :P

I enjoy "toy" cars, and I consider Honda as being a toy manufacturer. Though I've moved BMW into my "1st place slot". Not only at they technologically decent, you can easily turn nearly any BMW into a toy car, albiet a very expensive one. XD

Cant wait to see ya specs!

timmiboi
Species: African Wild Dog

Post by timmiboi »

a car thread! now i cant miss out on this one!

I dont have any decent pics on this PC... maybe later...

My first car is one my grandparents gave me... 1984 BMW 320i... the box beemer! i used it to learn to drive, then we sold it (unfortunatly) as down payment on my baby! 2006 Ford Fiesta 1.6... such an awesome car to drive, but i miss the beemers 2 litres sometimes... mind you... this 1600 thumps!

still under warantee, so mods are out of the question for now... but in future... possibly an engine swap... 2.0l Fiesta ST engine would be nice! otherwise it'll mainly be cosmetic...

Subtle ST style bootspoiler, more aggresive front bumper (with higher ground clearance! the stock front bumper catches EVERY CURB!). window tint, possibly neat seat of rims... nothing too blingin'... just a set of 16"s to replace the rather dull stock rims... maybe a *very* short suspension drop. maybe just jazz the interior a bit... not too much though, the interior is what caught my attention on this car (seeing that i stare at the interior twice as much as the exterior :P ) The stock dials are a designers dream! then a slight sound system mod... I'd better start saving...
Dracius
Ilache Darastri

Post by Dracius »

Sweet car timmiboi! Yea those Ford Fiesta 1.6's are pretty decent ^..^ Cant wait to see it once your done with the car!

I just got my car back today. I'll be taking some pics of it tomorrow ^..^ YAY!

Red
Down Under Fozzy
Species: Fox
Region: Freestate

Post by Red »

You all have some interesting cars there! I don't have a car here though, couldn't ever really be bothered to get one, I use public transport to get around since that seem to be good enough for me at the moment, and much cheaper for me to use as well compared to the current petrol prices that sting us at the moment. At least on the train you get to read the newspaper (or eat your breakfast...) before you arrive to your destination instead of being caught behind a grid locked traffic frustrated! :D

Cheers, Red. :D
This signature is blank.
Yukon
Species: Husky/wolf

Post by Yukon »

Nice one Keita, similar to my mom's '83 280E. good, strong cars, but damn guzzlers on petrol, especially being an automatic o.O

Seems I've lost all my old pics of my car & sound in hdd crashes over the years :( Got this scrapbook of my car I made. Used to work for HP, and they decided scrapbooking was a good area to promote their printers o.O so yeah, i got sent on a scrapbooking course =P

Wolfie on my steering wheel duh... been driving this fiesta for over 7 years now and am very happy with it!
Attachments
Car Scrapbook.jpg
Car Scrapbook.jpg (203.76 KiB) Viewed 7275 times
There are 10 types of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Dracius
Ilache Darastri

Post by Dracius »

Alright, finally managed to get a few shots of my car. Its a Honda Ballade 2000 180i. Tis my baby ^..^ In the process of modifiying it, but mostly engine things. I love it looking exactly the way it is. Not getting any big rims, bumpers, etc, etc.

Currently controlling my sound system off my iPod Touch, which is actually a full on PC. Apple just lies.
Attachments
image_04.jpg
image_05.jpg
image_03.jpg
image_01.jpg

Yukon
Species: Husky/wolf

Post by Yukon »

nice one dude! those are amazing cars to mod dracius! i'm sure it's the same down in CT as it is here whereby everyone buys them to sup up and mod! glad ur not doing it the "dutchified" way most ppl here do...start with the engine ;)
There are 10 types of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Dracius
Ilache Darastri

Post by Dracius »

Yukon wrote:nice one dude! those are amazing cars to mod dracius! i'm sure it's the same down in CT as it is here whereby everyone buys them to sup up and mod! glad ur not doing it the "dutchified" way most ppl here do...start with the engine ;)
yea man, thanks alot :P I love the stock look of her and I'll definitely be working around the engine area, which I have already started, as evident by the cold air induction kit :P I've still got some -huge- ass plans for this car.

timmiboi

Post by timmiboi »

Just to add some jealousy here.. though some will know from my FA journals, I spent the day in one of these on the Zwartkops racetrack at the Mercedes Benz Dynamic driving course:

WOW these cars have power... 6.3 V8 with 330 odd KiloWatts!

Managed to hit 175 KPH when the instructor turned the limiter off!
Dracius
Ilache Darastri

Post by Dracius »

WOW! awesome cars! those beats are packing 339 kw of German engineering!

175KM/h, is that the fastest speed that you go to in that AMG? I know the unlimited top end of the C63 is something like 295km/h.

timmiboi

Post by timmiboi »

The car, like the M3, is limited to 250KPH.

The instructors told us the top speed they had got the car on Zwartkops was 180KPH.
The only reason I juuuust missed it is because the car was in automatic, and set to Comfort rather than Sport transmission. Sport leads to faster gear changes, but still not as slick as a human driver using the paddleshift.

The one longest straight (isn't entirely straight! That was scary!) is where you get all your top speeds, I literally put foot flat until the braking point, checked my speed, then jammed the brake to the floor!

Interesting trivia, the car has a "throttle blip" when you slow down, not unlike a real racecar driver would do. The sound of this thing gearing down is amazing!