Cars!

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
Keita Haruka
Alpha Wolf
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Black wolf
Region: Gauteng

Re: Cars!

Post by Keita Haruka »

*turns bright green* Man, I am SOOOOOOOOOO jealous! :evil:
Yukon
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Husky/wolf

Post by Yukon »

Was wondering when you were doing this.. saw the photos on another site the other day tho - i would imagine you had quite the blast!

I did the BMW advanced driver's a few yrs back, so I understand the excitement u must have went through ;) Must say funnily enough out of all the cars I got to drive, my personal favourite in terms of driving experience was actually the mini cooper s o.O
There are 10 types of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those that don't.
timmiboi
Species: African Wild Dog

Post by timmiboi »

It was incredible! Highly recommended! Anyone who has posted in this thread must clearly have some interest in cars... It is definitely not something to miss!

The mini is surprisingly sporty, not many people know whats it's capable of... Decent engine for the most part, 'specially the "S" and its pretty light and small if I remember correctly...

I just think it's a girls car :P
Yukon

Post by Yukon »

timmiboi wrote:It was incredible! Highly recommended! Anyone who has posted in this thread must clearly have some interest in cars... It is definitely not something to miss!

The mini is surprisingly sporty, not many people know whats it's capable of... Decent engine for the most part, 'specially the "S" and its pretty light and small if I remember correctly...

I just think it's a girls car :P
When the new mini first came out i thought it was just an amusing ridiculous excuse to make money, so didn't like them at all.. though soon later a client of mine just purchased one - asked if i could come from her work to fix her home pc, and suggested we take one car. i said sure, went round to the passenger side and noticed a raised eyebrow, accompanied by a "what u think ur doing!?", keys dangling in her hand o.O

i was most impressed by the drive and the interior, dispite months of disliking the car prevoiusly. loved the handling and experience of the cooper s on the skidpan! actually felt like i was really driving (u know what i mean) - the bmw's were too comfortable.. felt like i was driving a video simulator :-/

I agree with the girl's car part tho...pity..
There are 10 types of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those that don't.
DesertYote
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Species: Coyote
Region: Other

Post by DesertYote »

A lot of pretty slick vehicles you folks have posted...not bad at all! Here's my personal ride at the moment - a 2007 Saturn Ion-3.

'Yote
Wolfers
Snugglebeast
Species: Wolf/Bear

Post by Wolfers »

I will now revice this forum with a new post!

Yes, that's right, i have new wheels to show off ^.^

With my old Mazda having clocked over 200,000km, and my mom's car being too expensive to run, it was time for a new car. With the current economic conditions on my side for once, it was a question of finding the best deal between the battling manufacturers. I've looked at a wide range of cars, but finally decided on a very special Limited Edition Hyundai Getz 1.6 HS. I swopped in my old tired Mazda (which I got R22,000 for) on the 29th of April, and drove off the showroom floor with my shiny new car - Wolfpaws. All in all, the car will cost me about R122k. Which is fantastic, considering the features and extras that Hyundai threw into the deal.

Without further ado, piccies!
DSC00100.JPG
DSC00101.JPG
DSC00103.JPG
DSC00104.JPG
DSC00098.JPG
He's currently kinda dirty, never having been washed since i took ownership. *hides in shame*
~Wolfers~

Professional Animal Impersonator
anoyomouse
Sexual preference: Bi-mostly gay
Species: Brown House mouse

Post by anoyomouse »

Mouse approves

and it drives sooo welll :D

also, MP3 capability is awesome, as well as the CD i burnt for it

ooh, and it got cleaned yesterday so is shiney again :P
~~~(___^> *squeak*
Darkeraven
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Skunk
Region: KZN and Eastern Cape

Post by Darkeraven »

I have a 2001 Opel Corsa Classic 1.6 IE Blue in colour and dead standard.

No pics as I am a little embarrassed about the bonnet. The paint has peeled due to the previous owner been cheap when the original paint got damaged . I am trying to have it resprayed but funds are short and I am trying to avoid having to hire a car for 3 days while the work gets done.

Once its payed off then I will think about modding it. Want to go the 2 litre engine with turbo route. Big breaks, big mags and bigger sound install but plans may change.
Yukon

Post by Yukon »

First, but not the last time I've driven around with wolfies on my car windows =P Thanx stormy ;)
Attachments
stormy_wolfywindow.jpg
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Snow Leopard

Post by Adagio »

This thread hasn't been active in ages...
~Blows dust off~

Well... My car isn't all that interesting... An 1995 Ford Telstar... I'd like to say it gets me from point A to point B... But it's dead at the moment... Burnt another valve...

But the car I'm restoring... Hehe!
If I can afford the engine mind you...
But I'm working on restoring an old Ford F250 Bakkie from 1969... It has all the panels, and I did most of the work already... It just needs to be reupholstered, painted, and an engine.... Oh, and a windshield...

The original engine was a 5L inline six diesel, but the pump died, and it'll cost less to get a new engine...

When I'm finished, I want to rig it for camping... I want to make a (Stainless steel) canopy, and rig it with a kitchen and a few beds, some solar panels, battries and an inverter...
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

That sounds awesome. :)
Wolfers
Snugglebeast
Species: Wolf/Bear

Post by Wolfers »

I am quite surprised seeing this thread active again, heh. I see my old post up there, it's quite astonishing x3 Of course, I don't drive Wolfpaws anymore. He was such a damn drunkard when it came to fuel efficiency I had to give the poor chap away. Still many fond memories - I do miss him.

Currently driving the Frenchie (Citroen DS3 1.2) and he's really a good boy and only sips fuel like fine wine. I am getting about 900 km per 45 litre tank on the open road, whilst 700 km with town driving is about average. Of course, he can be a bit on the lazy side and be like "But i'm le tired why do you put so many people in me what is this sh#t" but i love him.

Also, Adiago, that sounds super nifty =D My dad had an F250 like that (before my time sadly!)
~Wolfers~

Professional Animal Impersonator
Randall
Species: Funambulus palmarum (Squirrel)

Post by Randall »

The F250 restoration project is really interesting :)
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

Yeah I don't think I will buy another car here, waste of money. I'll stick to my 14-17l/100km Italian car that's showing its age rather rapidly :(
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sev »

You bought a Lamborghini?
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

More likely a Fiat.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

With that kind of fuel economy?
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Mine does 17.5L/100KM...
And it's only a 2L sooooo.... Haha!
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

Adagio wrote:Mine does 17.5L/100KM...
You're doing something wrong.

fuel consumption and mileage: average estimated by a-c: 8.9 l/100km

Sev wrote:With that kind of fuel economy?
Around 11l/100km city driving and near 17l/100km highway driving (papa bless the FIRE engine from the late 1980s with a horrible 5th gear ratio). Which really sucks, as I do highway driving the most.

edit- this reminds me, I really need to replace my tyres.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

And to think my old piece of crap that takes minutes to build up to 120 and literally can't go above 140 uses around 6-7l/100km... Oh and squeals when I take a corner at 40km/h...
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Fluke wrote:

I know... But I'm lost... I've already spent a bunch of money replacing the Air Mass Flow sensor(Which was broken)
I replaced a valve, which burnt(I thought because of the Air/Fuel mix wasn't right because of the flow sensor)
And now it's killed another valve...
Urg! I hate working on engines... It's so much work getting everything stripped...
Randall

Post by Randall »

Adagio wrote:
Fluke wrote:

I know... But I'm lost... I've already spent a bunch of money replacing the Air Mass Flow sensor(Which was broken)
I replaced a valve, which burnt(I thought because of the Air/Fuel mix wasn't right because of the flow sensor)
And now it's killed another valve...
Urg! I hate working on engines... It's so much work getting everything stripped...
Last month, I was driving on my way to work... bang... clutch just decides to break.
Get the car towed home, thinking its the cable.

Wait, it gets better.
I ended up doing an entire clutch replacement myself. Took me two weekends to do the job, and my clothes still stink of gear oil.
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Urg! Clutch is a crap job! Removing the engine from the gearbox!
My dad doesn't believe in taking things to mechanics.
Bad past experiences...

Luckily I have clothes specifically for working on cars... Haha!
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

If you're getting over double your fuel consumption, you're either doing something wrong or the engine is severely screwed. Is it not running super rich / leaking / etc.?
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Fluke wrote:If you're getting over double your fuel consumption, you're either doing something wrong or the engine is severely screwed. Is it not running super rich / leaking / etc.?
I don't drive like a maniac... So it can't be that...

definitely not leaking... It does however run a little rich... You can sometimes smell petrol in the exhaust, and there is excessive carbon on the pistons when I opened it up...

It's probably an programming error, where the computer tells the injectors to inject too much...
But wouldn't that also 'cause the engine to run too fast when idling?
Randall

Post by Randall »

Adagio wrote:
Fluke wrote:If you're getting over double your fuel consumption, you're either doing something wrong or the engine is severely screwed. Is it not running super rich / leaking / etc.?
I don't drive like a maniac... So it can't be that...

definitely not leaking... It does however run a little rich... You can sometimes smell petrol in the exhaust, and there is excessive carbon on the pistons when I opened it up...

It's probably an programming error, where the computer tells the injectors to inject too much...
But wouldn't that also 'cause the engine to run too fast when idling?
Nope, the mixture is wrong.
I think you mentioned replacing a sensor? Well usually, on typical MOTRONIC ECU, if the sensor is changed, the ECU has to be re-calibrated for that particular sensor, this is what they do at the stealership with that fancy diagnostics centre.

Petrol smell = mixture too rich, hence why valves are being burnt, etc..

Injectors are controlled by pulses, so cannot "inject too much". However they can fail i.e. leak, causing pre-ignition and horrendous fuel consumption.
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

Yep, pretty much. You want the car to have the right air:fuel ratio. If it's wrong you can cause damage, excessive fuel usage and loss of power.

It's always safer to run ever so slightly rich however, but you should not be smelling petrol from the exhaust.
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Sonic2k wrote:Nope, the mixture is wrong.
I think you mentioned replacing a sensor? Well usually, on typical MOTRONIC ECU, if the sensor is changed, the ECU has to be re-calibrated for that particular sensor, this is what they do at the stealership with that fancy diagnostics centre.
I replaced it with an original... Although it was secondhand, it was in excellent condition...
I know a guy with one of those thingamajigs... I asked him to tune it, but they want to put it on a dyno... I'll just have to pay up I guess...
Sonic2k wrote:Petrol smell = mixture too rich, hence why valves are being burnt, etc..
I heard it being too poor is when valves get's burnt, too much oxygen->cutting torch kinda effect...
But being too rich makes sense too...
Sonic2k wrote:Injectors are controlled by pulses, so cannot "inject too much". However they can fail i.e. leak, causing pre-ignition and horrendous fuel consumption.
I get that it can only squirt so much, but the amount of pulses controls the amount of fuel injected?
How else is the amount of fuel being injected controlled then? ~scratches head~ I hear them tick a few times when we were doing the timing... You can clearly hear it "Inject" more than once...
I'm no mechanic though... I don't know how these things work...
Yukon

Post by Yukon »

My two toys :)
Attachments
Datsun - East Town (4).jpg
Corsa - Paw No Plate.jpg
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

What's the top one?