one good deed

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian
Region: Other

one good deed

Post by Raven Song »

I'm really bad with money. Shockingly so. I buy stupid stuff. All the time. But I don't care. It's my money, I earned it.

I don't appreciate being judged for it. Especially by my colleagues. My first real day of work we went for breakfast at a restaurant. I overspend, I know I do. I do it for two reasons... One, I know what customer service jobs are like amd its hell. If you've ever worked in retail or the foodservice industry you'll understand, people are dicks. So I like to reward people for just making my eggs. Second reason is I believe in paying it forward. I may not feel the benefits now but I'm sure somewhere down the line the karma police are gonna be like "she gave HOW much to KFC's feed kids thingy?!?!? Well then, she's off the hook this time".

I'm not blowing my own horn, and I don't like to advertise it. But when I want to be nice, I am. I don't like change. I don't get owed money because I don't collect, and if I do its because I am genuinely in trouble. I bought new gloves. My colleagues were horrified that I'm spending money. I get it, you're in debt. I'm mot. It's not my fault you get yoirself overdrawn all the time. It's not my fault you don't use your brain. I know what my monthly expenses are. I know what I can do. If I get myself in trouble I'm gracious enough to know it was me and I alone. I font judge others when they spend money that I don't have.

This now sounds like a rant. But I actually want it to be a discussion on what people spend on themselves, and on other people.

So yeah... Go for it
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Re: one good deed

Post by Sev »

I always say no when they ask for the KFC Feed the Children thingy.

It seems like a huge marketing gimmick, and a Fast Food Organization has no business marketing itself to vulnerable young people. This kind of thing is a huge problem in the poorer black communities in the US.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

If you have no debt and live within adequate conditions, I see no problem in spending your money however you like. It's a privilege of being a self-sufficient adult. If people don't like it, they're probably just jealous that you can afford to.
Tocs
The glowing blue panda
Species: Husky
Region: Gauteng

Post by Tocs »

Honestly I try do a good deed if I have the money.. I will give extra money in the thing.. heck on time I was in the drive in with my friend, we noticed that the lady behind us was talking on the car blue tooth thing (so we heard the conversation because drive in was so slow. She was talking about how she hasn't eaten in 2 days because she was by her son on the hospital and that she isn't there at the hospital because she needed to eat, so I asked how much money of the car behind us to the teller, it was around R50, and I just paid it for her and we drove off. It does feel very rewarding and I still believe that it is just these small deeds that will make a small difference somewhere somehow. And that makes me happy
For the most part, it is pointless to be sad in life.
Because sad spelt backwards is das
And das not good
Love every stranger, the stranger the better
The darker the night, the brighter I glow!
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

Sev I agree on most cases. Having worked with yum foods and KFC I've seen what they do with the money and it does actually help. They feed proper food, like the stuff at unicef, tk the kids, not KFC food. Each outlet has a target of R60 a day, and the majority don't make it because people don't want to spare a whole R2.

All that being said Sev I did have a good lol when I saw it was a fast food place doing that.

Leeward I think that is one of the reasons. I think people are also just very natural spendthrift in this country. Or whatever the term is.

Tocs I believe that we make our own luck in life. What u put out into the universe comes back three times and all that jazz. The more good we as individuals do in the world, the more good there will be in the world as a whole.
Wolfie-DMX
Sexual preference: Bi-mostly gay
Species: Wolf

Post by Wolfie-DMX »

Good deeds, mmm. Well, since money is generally a problem and tends to be used by beggars for the wrong things like drugs, glue and alcohol, I have chosen a long time ago to get involved with a "Public Benefit Organisation" where we assist and do community service on a regular basis. Money does play a role I guess, but we kinda have more control over the results when you are the one on the ground getting your hands dirty :)
"So kalm soos n dagga walm"

A wise Indian say: "Keep your relationships away from furry fandom; keep furries away from your relationships"

---------------------- Account No longer active ----------------------
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

RavenSong wrote:Leeward I think that is one of the reasons. I think people are also just very natural spendthrift in this country. Or whatever the term is.
Oh don't get me wrong I'm very thrifty, but when it comes to cool stuff I like to splurge on the best I can get. For example, when I buy groceries I buy the cheapest brands and take full advantage of specials and promotions, but when I'm buying computer parts for instance I'll buy the best value for money I can reasonably afford.

Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

I have that exact picture but they changed nooks to horses....
Tocs
The glowing blue panda
Species: Husky

Post by Tocs »

I have that exact picture but they changed books to Magic the Gathering
For the most part, it is pointless to be sad in life.
Because sad spelt backwards is das
And das not good
Love every stranger, the stranger the better
The darker the night, the brighter I glow!
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

I have that exact picture but they changed books to Steam. :mrgreen:
Obsidian
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Dragon

Post by Obsidian »

I like books... and models, spend way too much money on building, buying and painting miniatures and by the gods I will continue doing so because I like the way they look on my shelf! Also on clothes sometimes because while I don't shop often there are those "that will look sexy on me" times 8-) .

Charity is mostly a no for me in term of random acts, I'd rather give to a larger charity organisation because I can only hope that the money is better managed and is put towards something greater. Probably wont be because human greed and such but whatever not like humanity has a good track record of looking after those who are not consumers :P.
It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, especially if you live near him.

Always be yourself..... Unless you can be a Dragon, then always be a Dragon
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Species: Snow Leopard

Post by Adagio »

A friend of mine once said, that no good deed goes unpunished.
And unfortunately, this is just too true.

We helped a homeless guy once, gave him a home, gave him food, and a job.

After a few months, we went on vacation, and a few days in we got a very distressing call from a tenant. He did everyone a favor, and collected their rent. and then took off with it... We have 21 houses... We charged R3500 rent back then, not to mention water and lights.

There was another instance where we helped a guy. It was before I was born. He happened to be an escaped convict in for murder. (Or he jumped his parole, I'm not very sure about that...)

Thing is. If you help someone in need. They will remember you when they are in need again...
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

I'm of the train of thought that even if someone does bad by you, if you ignore it and do good back it will turn around eventually. I go through patches where I have bad luck for months... But I keep trying the good try, because I'm sure one day my time for good will come back.
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe
Species: Green Folf

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

That's a good philosophy. Even when people irritate me, even when I've become upset, I find a venting point, I release and then I smile and try again. Very rarely have I ever cut people out of my life intentionally.

I'm always ready to help and to listen. In some cases I don't actively open the conversation, however if others do, I'm there to hear it. I try and hear both sides, sometimes I even ask, "Am I wrong for saying it?" I question my motives more than anything else and I try at least three to four times to ensure the necessary middle ground in an argument is mine.

Sometimes I voice my own liberal opinions, sometimes other people are more liberal than me. (I tend to voice caution more than an outright disregard for an opinion) this may sometimes place me in the line of fire, I'm more than happy to take that line of fire, as much it irks me to continue down that pathway.

Sometimes I am the line of fire. Sometimes I ensure my opinion is heard, because otherwise it's a a closed feedback loop with no open-endedness and no counter, sometimes I provide that counter, even if it's not in my actual point of view.

This kind of rhetoric is important when the loop takes people who originally supported something and then come out with vitriol of their own.
AND THEN THE CAGE COMES DOWN! The cage with the Japanese fighting spiders inside, your mother strikes a match off her forearm and tells you to dance in the front room for money... - Dylan Moran
Hargan
Species: Foxeh

Post by Hargan »

My thought process is that I want to help everyone. Before anyone says anything about not being able to help everyone, I am quite aware.

And it makes me feel guilty.

I try to do good by other people, and I try to do my part to help. But when you can't help yourself or your family, you have to first look at that.

Then we have the story of the time I nearly K.O.ed an elderly lady for helping her. I was walking over to the shops, and this lady asks for some change to do her laundry. Except, now I look back, it feltl ike she almost demanded it, and you'll see why. On the way back, I have a bit of change, and hand her R2. Not a lot, I know, but a bit goes a ways to getting your goal, you know? Her reply is to look at me, and say: "I need R10 to do the washing." I apologise and respond with "It's all I can spare," which is a lie, can't really spare that >< She glares at me, and demands "The washing is R10." Ignoring my thoughts of how ungrateful this [explitives] was being, I balled up my fist and took off. She called out once more that she needs R10, and I just yelled back "Yeah, and I need an [explitive] job, so we're both [explitive] out of luck."

If I hadn't shouted that, I prolly would've have decked her so hard, she wouldn't have gotten up with ease ><
Warning: Has been known to speak his mind

Firm believer in Spiral Power
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

I tend to not give money to Street persons. As has been mentioned, and you have proven, it's almost never for food, and they are almost never grateful.

I bought a man and his dog some food once here in the UK. It was a big thing for me.
KinkInZA
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Liger

Post by KinkInZA »

I also prefer to give them either groceries or already made food instead of money.
“All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake up in the day to find it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
T.E. Lawrence