Do you find wolf whistle offensive?

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.

Bite me! (Yes)
31%
It’s a compliment (I'm a woman)
No votes
It’s a compliment (I'm a man)
13%
meh
31%
No
25%

Total votes: 16
Cape_F0X
Light-footed
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Vulpes chama
Region: Western Cape

Post by Cape_F0X »

Was just wondering about this.
This is also hypothetical question, because I don't know if people whistle period.
jacojerb
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: bunny/fox
Region: Gauteng

Re: Do you find wolf whistle offensive?

Post by jacojerb »

I find it more annoying than offensive
Mew?
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

I've personally never had one directed at me, but if I did I'd consider from whence it came. In other words, if it's accompanied by a smile or a wink, I'd take it as a compliment, but if it's given with a lecherous sneer or inappropriate comment, I would ignore it and carry on. There's no point being offended when they probably don't know any better.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Species: Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

It took me a second to remember what that even was.
Cape_F0X
Light-footed
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Vulpes chama

Post by Cape_F0X »

jacojerb wrote:I find it more annoying than offensive
Jip, it can be annoying.
Leeward wrote:I've personally never had one directed at me, but if I did I'd consider from whence it came. In other words, if it's accompanied by a smile or a wink, I'd take it as a compliment, but if it's given with a lecherous sneer or inappropriate comment, I would ignore it and carry on. There's no point being offended when they probably don't know any better.
You can always rely on Leeward for a well stated response.
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Green Folf

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

I think, given the connotation and it's historical use, it should be offensive, since it is a sexualisation of the person in the context, however as Leeward alludes, that connotation can change due to circumstance.

If it's from someone you don't know, it does still clearly place you into the position that the person may not be interested in you for your views on the social dynamics of gerbils in space, but rather just that you're good looking. The context of the smile may also be a ruse.

It would be like a guy/girl coming up to you, smiling and saying, "hey sexy" innocent enough until they tell you that they want you to come home with them. This may be a good get for some, but for others there needs to be some sort of opening beyond just...."imma get laid tonight."
AND THEN THE CAGE COMES DOWN! The cage with the Japanese fighting spiders inside, your mother strikes a match off her forearm and tells you to dance in the front room for money... - Dylan Moran
Tocs
The glowing blue panda
Species: Husky

Post by Tocs »

I guess it's pretty much the circumstances behind it, if it was from a random person on the street, honestly I wouldn't even think twice of it because I know for a fact in my mind I will think they are doing it to someone else even if directed at me haha. But I mean I remember doing the whistle for my sister in law at her wedding when I first saw her in her dress (keep in mind I was 8 and was the ring holder) because I've never seen as pretty as she did on that day that I was actually surprised. She was freaking gorgeous. So it all depends on context and person you are receiving it from really but I guess you're talking about it in terms of one person whiting at another purely in the sexualised way (so the stereotypical olden days builder would to whistle at a lady walking by their construction site) I do find it annoying.
For the most part, it is pointless to be sad in life.
Because sad spelt backwards is das
And das not good
Love every stranger, the stranger the better
The darker the night, the brighter I glow!
Randall
Species: Funambulus palmarum (Squirrel)

Post by Randall »

It's old, crass and definitely not polite in my humble opinion
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Ivic_Wulfe wrote:since it is a sexualisation of the person in the context
And people don't sexualise themselves? People make a conscious effort to play up their sexuality when they go out.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Species: Snow Leopard

Post by Adagio »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:
Ivic_Wulfe wrote:since it is a sexualisation of the person in the context
And people don't sexualise themselves? People make a conscious effort to play up their sexuality when they go out.
Yeah... Suddenly I want a like button on the forums too...

This is TOO true... I find it repulsing. The way fashion has become no more than a way to flaunt out one's "availability"... Like a baboon showing it's swolen rear...
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Tocs wrote:I remember doing the whistle for my sister in law at her wedding when I first saw her in her dress (keep in mind I was 8 and was the ring holder) because I've never seen as pretty as she did on that day that I was actually surprised.
Thanks for the really cute mental image of baby husky howling at a foxy vixen bride. :3
Adagio wrote:The way fashion has become no more than a way to flaunt out one's "availability"... Like a baboon showing it's swolen rear...
Again, delightful mental image of a baboon doing the can-can in a floofy dress and displaying its bottom to the audience. :lol:

I don't know, whenever I think of a wolf whistle I always picture some old-timey cartoon character instantly falling in love with heart beating out of chest and little floating cupids around their head and all that. Although that might just be the dregs of my innocence talking.
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe
Species: Green Folf

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

Rakuen, in the context of the wolf whistle. When a woman wears 'frumpy' clothing they still get sexualised. Or ridiculed for that matter. Tropes like adorkable exist for that reason.
AND THEN THE CAGE COMES DOWN! The cage with the Japanese fighting spiders inside, your mother strikes a match off her forearm and tells you to dance in the front room for money... - Dylan Moran
Splicer-Fox
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Fox fennec springbok thing

Post by Splicer-Fox »

There is this African Grey that my downstairs neighbour is keeping as a pet.
When it’s not Screeching or Squawking, its wolf whistling.
So annoying.