What South Africa needs to focus on

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
YoteFox
Species: Arctic Sabre Fox

What South Africa needs to focus on

Post by YoteFox »

The issue at this stage in my personal opinion with our government in South Africa is well mainly and most importantly corruption but past the corruption if however there was a way to eliminate the corruption is that the focus of the government is wrong.

The government is focusing on less important things right now like who's land was it first. The land reformation initiative is a bit of a dumb idea at this stage. Yes, natural resources are critical when trying to increase the productivity in a country which would lead to a better living standard. This should not take priority in South African government affairs.

The reason why this is their first priority is that the current government which was the oppressed back in the day (Apartheid) feels the need to take back what is theirs rather than to move on and let bygones be bygones. The whole movement of taking back land is actually endangering South Africa as it leads to farmers losing their farms. This country is very dependable of the farms, one of South Africa's major exports is Corn and without the farmers where would the corn come from.

What instead should be the government's main focus then?
Encouraging education and training, Investing in physical capital, Using the natural resources wisely and sparingly and advancing technological knowledge. But the main focus in my opinion would be education.

We all know that South Africa's education is going south, after all it is "south' Africa.
The reason why I say that the country should invest more in education is because of one simple fact. Without the proper education and training all the other factors that I mentioned above is useless. How can physical capital be used if no training has been given? See the link?

However the issue with this and in economics, which is the study of human behavior there will always be an issue as humans have issues, is that after a rapid growth period there is usually very little growth. This is called the diminishing effect.

Although this is not the only factor that could help South Africa, this could really help to get the economy back in shape.

Setting any race aside and looking from a perspective where there is no race involved I really think that if South Africa had the right political leaders we could develop quite good, however the current leaders are in it for self interest and they select presidents who are incompetent so that they can blame it on the president and not get direct fire from the media about it.

This really comes down to the recent strikes that education should be free, yes I do full heatedly agree that education should be free, but not tertiary education. Basic education should be free, getting a Matric certificate should not cost as much as it does. Fact being that South Africa is quite poverty stricken and the majority households struggle to make ends meet what about paying school fees aswell.

Tertiary education is not a right, in all fairness it is a privilege. Basic education is a right.
Another issue concerning education is the brain drain, which means that companies from abroad is taking the tertiary qualified of this country or the "smart" tertiary qualified of which SA is in desperate need is leaving the country because they are qualified to do so.

There are many debates on what could make South Africa a better country, however this is my opinion I formed and I do believe this to be quite true, investment in education will surely increase GDP (Gross Domestic Product) and this will lead to a higher GDP per capita meaning that more people earn more. They will have the ability to be more productive in one hour time than those who are uneducated.

I end of this long boring post with that, I do feel there might be faint hope for South Africa be it very little. I don't have hope for this country but I am curious about the future of this beautiful, misfit country. One last thing, the reason why there are more conventions overseas than in SA is because in 1st world countries there is more income to spend on luxuries whereas in South Africa, the most interesting country in the world the government runs deficits because there isn't enough tax revenue for proper spending as the government officials pocket everything to drive their luxury German cars to where ever the hell they want to go and at what speed... Also Nkandla

So do as the government does and blame it all on something or someone else.
I'd rather be fursuiting

Suit up and it will make you feel better
- Pepper Coyote

People get built different. We don't need to figure it out, we just need to respect it. Maybe he likes his company more than I like mine - Princess Bubblegum
Franky
The Bad Guy
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Mortally Challenged Fox
Region: Gauteng

Re: What South Africa needs to focus on

Post by Franky »

Education won't be as expensive if the currency actually comes to a settlement and we deal with normal inflation. The teachers also needs to get payed somehow and I'm completely against having unskilled education staff especially at the primary and secondary school levels. It is the most important things in a child's upbringing.

What South Africa needs to do is focus on manufacturing. We need proper supply chains in place and produce rather than outsource. It's good business but it ruins the economy if you give nothing back.

Skilled engineers, whether it's working for refineries or in construction do get payed well enough. But the problem also comes down to the attitude. It's not hard to get employed by international companies such as Angelo American, Chevron, Honeywell or whomever if you have the training and experience... And who wouldn't. Would you stay at Sasol? Iscor? Or even worse PetroSA if I give you a giant carrot to chase after in a dominating organization?

No one is that loyal especially here.

At the moment we need investors that runs manufacturing and with our current situation it doesn't look promising at all.
YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

I do agree with you, look at the Swiss education system. Primary school is obligatory for everyone and public schools are free, but as you also said their currency is much stronger than the Rand. If the Rand had more purchasing power it would've been easier. One of the important lessons I have learnt from economics is that if the reserve bank prints too much money, inflation increases this is because the purchasing power of the Rand weakens.

Here is an intersting read: http://www.rollingalpha.com/2015/04/02/ ... -come-now/
Interpret that as you will.

I also do agree with that you say SA needs to focus on manufacturing locally as a means to decrease cost of living since the importation tax would be less of an expense. SA should go from an importing country to a manufacturing country. But then how would the quality compare to that of the imported goods? I personally don't have much confidence in SA products.

That is exactly what I meant with the brain drain, students who are eventually qualified for major jobs decide to leave the country or get signed with an overseas company since it looks more promising than what is going on here. Let's face it, anyone who spends that much on tertiary education will want to get the most of their spent education money's value and it is seeminlgy impossible in SA, where the upper class lives the same as the American middle class.

In the Eastern Cape in Uitenhage and Port Elizabeth there are some major manufacturing companies. Two of which is GM and VW which is as you said the investors from abroad setting up manufacturing plants. Yet prices of these vehicles are still rediculous in comparison to what you pay in America for a VW or GM vehicle. Although I do suppose most of the parts are imported and not manufactured here.

I think I might be doing the brain drain thing myself aswell someday. I'm not a blindly following idiot sheep. I can see what is going on in SA and our childish government disputes on who's was it first. If the political party was to change, maybe investors from abroad would change their outlook on SA but from their viewpoint I also wouldn't want to invest millions in a country that went through 3 finance ministers in a few days.

The next 5 years in this country is going to be very interesting.
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote

People get built different. We don't need to figure it out, we just need to respect it. Maybe he likes his company more than I like mine - Princess Bubblegum
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Just my opinion, but I think the "brain drain" has less to do with opportunity and more to do with fear for the fate of this country, given the governmental incompetence, culture of entitlement, and repetition of similar patterns to what happened just before Rhodesia became Zimbabwe. As long as Zuma is allowed to sing "Kill the Boer" with impunity, I will not feel completely safe here, and that has nothing to do with job opportunities.
YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

Oh yes fear plays a major roll here especially for certain races (But in my effort of trying to be better than the government I am trying to stay away from the race thing). Yet people cling to this country for some reason.

For some the brain drain is opportunity for others it's a way to escape SA's clutches because of the fear factor. Like I said, the next 5 years or so will be very interesting. In my opinion that will determine if we should stay or if we should go.

Although people are growing tired of that mumbling idiot Zuma and I would really like to see what happens when he is out, if he goes out.
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote

Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sev »

The government is determined to make sure that this country implodes. Everyone that can get out should, so that when the government finally gets what it wants, you are not brought down with them.
Randall
Species: Funambulus palmarum (Squirrel)

Post by Randall »

Here is the problem as I see it:

The current regime, is a communist-revolutionary outfit. That means that they do not really take democracy seriously. That is one thing though, but the core of the matter is that the ANC is rotten to the core. Their current aim in life is to feed their bellies as fat as possible at the feeding trough, and live it up on the tax base, without any regard for anything else.

I do not live in fear, these are my problems with this place:

* Everything has to be about race...
* I am increasingly aware that they are not even hiding the fact that they have very little regard for my race, and want us to go.
* They are deliberately making this place unstable with their recent actions.
* The standard of living is dropping sharply. I can really now compare this place to Harare, its getting to the same level, pretty fast. In actual fact its sort-of better in Harare, especially some parts of Borrowdale, than what it is, in my own neighbourhood.
* The constant lies, and use of the media for propaganda
* The opportunities denied to me, because I am white.
* The overwhelming stupidity in this place

The cANCer is running a definitive plan behind the scenes, to reduce this place to rubble, because they know that, people in poverty, and people in dire straits are easy to control, and keep under control. This is their mentality, and its the mentality that seems to prevail the entire continent upwards.
Sev wrote:The government is determined to make sure that this country implodes. Everyone that can get out should, so that when the government finally gets what it wants, you are not brought down with them.
That is exactly what I am doing, and why I sold my house. I am trying, as difficult as it is, to apply for employment positions from here. I have also tried to get into New Zealand, because I have immediate family there, but I have not been able to succeed the legal route and I am not happy about throwing money down the toilet because they cannot get their arses into gear. Other countries, don't seem to waste peoples time and money, and I will go literally anywhere, as long as it is not China, or this continent.
Last edited by Rakuen Growlithe on Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged multiple posts
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Or North Korea, or anywhere in the Middle East.
Randall

Post by Randall »

Indeed, no-go-zones, both of them...
YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

I'm really of two minds about this place personally, some things seem promising other's spell doom. We are a long way from being anywhere close to Zimbabwe, hyperinflation needs to happen and we are nowhere near hyperinflation.

Though I do feel as a white South African that everything that we once held near and dear as part of our culture is being taken over by other races as it is seemingly dangerous for whites these days.
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote

Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Yeah, but the exchange rate is in freefall.
Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

Just wait for zuma to say something stupid again...
YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

The exchange rate is going to recover at some point.
If Zuma is president in the next period I'm out of this place
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote

Randall

Post by Randall »

With small child in tow, I cannot take any more risks. But its not about risk. I have seen, firsthand, how my disposable income has gone for a ball of shit, and I have now experienced crime on a scale that makes most people pack up and leave immediately.

Don't kid yourself, the level reached in Zimbabwe, is pretty close to coming true here. All it would take is a few more turds out the big turd's mouth and that will likely happen soon...
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

I don't want to sound paranoid but I agree with Sonic; this country is a ticking time bomb, and anyone with half a brain should have one foot out the door. However, I'm willing to stick it out until it becomes obvious that whites are being targeted. I have basically no assets so I have nothing to lose by staying as long as possible, within reason and without endangerment.
YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

There are allot of things binding me to this godforsaken country. But there is allot of contradicting opinions about what is going to happen.

For me it would be wise to leave especially at my age and with the degree I am persuing.
But I want to wait it out and see what happens. For all we know this might become the country of opportunity one day (Yeah fat chance).

As far as attitudes, culture, religion goes in this country it's all gone to shit. I have read some of siener Van Rensburg's stuff and he predicted quite accurately back in 1920 about what is happening currently, he also predicted that it is gping to get better again. Though I am not that cynical as to go solely on what a soother said. I'm just also taking that into consideration.
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote

Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Being able to make accurate predictions does not make one a soothsayer or prophet. It does however make your predictions worth listening to.
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian
Region: Other

Post by Raven Song »

I once had an argument with a friend. She lived in London for like five years and kept bitching about South Africa in it's current format.

We, the people living outside it, have no right to comment on what you guys are experiencing when it comes to service delivery etc. Because we chose to leave (maybe not always for lack of service reasons, I didn't. I would have lived with it forever because I'm so blind to it, it never made my life hard).

I wish you all luck though.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Randall

Post by Randall »

I unfortunately cannot stick it out anymore.
My kid needs a quality education, one he won't get in mainstream school. Right now, I have him in private school, where at least most of the cANCer propaganda is kept out.. since its the Cambridge system.

Other things to consider:

* Medical aids that fleece you. Today I had to pay in money because, guess what... Discovery doesn't wanna pay for meds I need.

* Everything is expensive to the extreme, far more than what it actually costs. This has been so for the longest time but lately, geez... blaming the exchange rate is not always the truthful answer.

* I have some really good experience in some software and hardware things. Guess what, my skin colour is wrong, I cannot get any really decent paying job. I should have been a manager by now... I am still on the bench. I have had to change careers, go into IT, to get somewhere.

* This country is not safe. They will scale a 6ft wall, and smash my windows to steal my TV, and take their chances with me being there.. they are not even scared if anyone is at home. Armed response and alarms mean nothing... takes them waaaaay too long to get there.

* I am sick of paying tax, to prop up a showerhead dictator, and I refuse to contribute to his Nkandla or his stupid aeroplane, while I have to have a daily battle to make ends meet.
RavenSong wrote:I once had an argument with a friend. She lived in London for like five years and kept bitching about South Africa in it's current format.

We, the people living outside it, have no right to comment on what you guys are experiencing when it comes to service delivery etc. Because we chose to leave (maybe not always for lack of service reasons, I didn't. I would have lived with it forever because I'm so blind to it, it never made my life hard).

Please tell that to my brother. He has just revoked his SA citizenship, so now he is legally a New Zealander, but he still carries on sending me shit about SA, and all the crap he can find from dubious news sources, here. He also continues to bitch about this place.
Last edited by Rakuen Growlithe on Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged multiple posts
Randall

Post by Randall »

RavenSong wrote:I once had an argument with a friend. She lived in London for like five years and kept bitching about South Africa in it's current format.

Please tell that to my brother. He has just revoked his SA citizenship, so now he is legally a New Zealander, but he still carries on sending me shit about SA, and all the crap he can find from dubious news sources, here. He also continues to bitch about this place.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

I just think that things are going to get worse before they get better.

Besides, I have also had it with many of the people in this country: lazy, entitled, and unable to take any initiative.
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

I once saw this stunning post written by a young African man in SA, basically telling his "brothers" that they are lazy as hell and need to stop blaming everyone else for their short comings.

As he put it, it took the white man 300 years to build this country, and they could destroy it in 1 day.

Also please don't take it as I'm saying this is race. In line with Sev's comments I have met people in SA of all colours who are lazy as hell.

South African's outside of SA have a reputation for being hard working and amazing. Obviously we left the crappy ones behind (not lumping you guys in there :P)
Obsidian
Species: Dragon

Post by Obsidian »

Besides that I have (many) issues with living in this country my current problem is that all the jobs that interest me are in other countries. Some graduate opportunities that I am would otherwise be applicable for are amazing but they want people who have citizenship or a security clearance to work there.

I apply anyways hoping my above average results will interest them and perhaps keep me in mind for future stuff in more welcome countries. If all else fails hopefully the country still clings on for another 3-4 years so I get some useful work experience and a doctorate and they might want me more then. Otherwise I have no interest in staying here and neither does the family I care about.

It's a shame because I really do like this countries natural beauty and weather, but it's people will continue to ruin it until I am close to the end of my lifespan.
It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, especially if you live near him.

Always be yourself..... Unless you can be a Dragon, then always be a Dragon
Neon
Species: Huskeh

Post by Neon »

This is what really really bums me about this country.
halp us!.png
How am I mean to order fun goodies from overseas now? :(
I carefully dance around political discussions.
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

I wont be getting in birthday money from South Africa at this rate...

Not when R100 equates to about four pounds...
rand.png
Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

The drought hasn't touched us... Yet...
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

Inpw wrote:The drought hasn't touched us... Yet...
Depends in the industry. The animal feed industry has already begun suffering. so bad tha tthey are taking feed etc. up to affected areas.

the knock on, like you say, will happen... but some area's have already felt that pain...
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic
Species: Necrobat

Post by Contrast »

Neon wrote:This is what really really bums me about this country.
halp us!.png
Lucky for me, my fiction works kinda like an export, so I get paid in dollah dollah bills, y'all!
MAKE IT RAIN!! $$$ :D

Read my novel on: SoFurry | Fur Affinity | Deviant Art
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Everyone should just pool their money to save for an assassin. This country can be instantly improved with one bullet.
Neon
Species: Huskeh

Post by Neon »

Sev wrote:Everyone should just pool their money to save for an assassin. This country can be instantly improved with one bullet.
I highly highly doubt a death of a person will change anything significant.