Saving Space

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian
Region: Other

Saving Space

Post by Raven Song »

No, not the big black empty abyss beyond the sky where the Flying Spaghetti Monster and Red Shirts reside.

I mean space. In homes.

It isn't so apparent now in SA because of the living demographics but slowly but surely it's going to become a real hooha. Right now more families live in the suburbs than in built up high rise areas, except that is changing. In the last five or so years (I don't have access to AMPS anymore so I cant be more specific) more people have moved into areas like Sandton, Greenstone etc. and live in apartments than in housing in suburbs like Fourways and all that jazz. Because apartments are cheaper thanks to square meterage. But that's where the problem comes in, one I've been learning about lots here in London.

To give an example I will use the space I live in:

I live in a two story house in London.
The lower floor has two bedrooms, the kitchen and bathroom. the bedrooms are both capable of housing double beds, but there isn't much space beyond that. They measure roughly 3 meters by 3 meters.
Upstairs has three bedrooms and a bathroom. The two larger bedrooms are exactly like the ones downstairs, and the third (My adorable little cell) is 1.5m by 2.5m.
My space costs me 442 pounds a month (R10166 if I work it back against R23 to the pound) which might sound horrifying but I earn roughly double that so it's not to bad, I just eat dry noodles for most the month...

But what do I get for that space? A single bed and a chest of drawers.

The I saw these videos floating around. I saw them back in SA, but I really started getting into them here:

I want to do this. I cant do this to my current room (I don't own it and I'm broke) But I want to create spaces like this to allow young professionals/students like me and my housemates a cheaper more effective means of living. I could quite easily, in this room of mine, have a bed, a desk, storage space and if I really tried I bet I could even get a cooking facility going (I'm still working out those kinks.) For that amount of money I would happily live in this room. because right now 90% of my clothing lives under my bed or in plastic crates I had to buy to save space. My desk, a fold out chair that came with the room.

I want to go beyond just doing this for myself though. I want to do this for others. My end goal is to own a bunch of properties in London and basically turn them into functional studio flats for a lower rent. I want to be able to make people who, like me, are starting from the bottom, have a slightly less heartbreaking time of it when they first try be adults in this town.

So how do I plan on achieving this:

1) Get a job working as an office assistant for a furniture company (preferably one intent on space saving furniture but I will settle for a general furniture store instead)
2) Pitch my idea's to them. If I cannot be the one to own the properties I'll get others to do it. I don't mind losing out as long as the end goal is achieved. (End goal highlighted in a slogan down below).
3) Have my own place :P

Slogan is:

Functional Spaces, For Less.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Re: Saving Space

Post by Leeward »

That seems like a fantastic idea! Perhaps you've found your true calling?
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

Like I still wanna act and stuff, but acting will not pay the bills for a long time, but this has legit given me direction in my life and yeah, Leeward, I think I may have :D
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sev »

You should see those hotels in Japan. That is an absolutely incredible use of limited space.
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

I actually wanna look into home design in Japan, they are super innovative about it!