Nightmare

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
Franky
The Bad Guy
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Mortally Challenged Fox
Region: Gauteng

Nightmare

Post by Franky »

Etymology
nightmare (n.) Look up nightmare at Dictionary.com

late 13c., "an evil female spirit afflicting sleepers with a feeling of suffocation," compounded from night + mare (3) "goblin that causes nightmares, incubus." Meaning shifted mid-16c. from the incubus to the suffocating sensation it causes. Sense of "any bad dream" first recorded 1829; that of "very distressing experience" is from 1831. Cognate with Middle Dutch nachtmare, German Nachtmahr.
Basically the stuff people suffering from sleep paralysis experience. Kinda odd that we misuse the word today as a description for a standard bad dream.

I'm wondering what these weird extended Hypnagogia and hypnopompic cases feels like. Especially if accompanied by your motor functions being shut down.

I watched The Nightmare 2015 and thought the idea of your dreams manifesting itself while you're still awake sounds pretty crazy. What's even weirder is that a lot of people might actually experience this at least once in their lifetime which is known as ISP (isolated sleep paralysis) unlike the chronic condition known as (RISP) recurrent isolated sleep paralysis.

People are paralyzed in most cases but I know a girl who gets a very special type of Hypnagogia while walking around, she's basically narcoleptic due to some other sleep disorder but she'll see things or shadows for around 5 minutes before passing out. She also sleepwalks and will stand up again and do things without her noticing.

In one instance drowsy and not thinking straight she was caught by her husband trying to remove a gigantic mirror off the wall which she can't even pick up that was hanging right on top of their baby's crib. Her explanation was that she can see someone watching their child through it. :shock:

Oddly she knows it's not real but she says it looks and feels pretty darn real therefor act or react accordingly.

I've also read something a few years back that said this condition is the number one cause for alien abduction stories, succubus and incubus stories including the direct observation of a preferable vision phenomenon we all know as shadow people. (Those times you see a shadow moving in the corner of your eye and poop yourself for a few seconds. Yeah there are people who believe the source is a living thing.)

Has anyone here experienced this craziness?
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Re: Nightmare

Post by Leeward »

I experience common sleep paralysis fairly frequently, but that's the type without hallucinations, so I've never had those. When it happens I have an approximate awareness of what's going on around me, but an overwhelming feeling of heaviness that makes it near impossible to move or react. It usually only lasts for a few minutes, but there have been a few times when I was rebuked for "ignoring" loud breakfast-making noises and not coming to help.
Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

Leeward wrote:I experience common sleep paralysis fairly frequently, but that's the type without hallucinations, so I've never had those. When it happens I have an approximate awareness of what's going on around me, but an overwhelming feeling of heaviness that makes it near impossible to move or react. It usually only lasts for a few minutes, but there have been a few times when I was rebuked for "ignoring" loud breakfast-making noises and not coming to help.
That's disturbing enough in its own right. I'm semi claustrophobic so not being able to move will probably freak me out just as well. Some people with this experience different things. People might say a pressure on the chest or throat causing breathing problems. Others feel the sensation of constant freefall. Do you also experience breathing issues?
Obsidian
Species: Dragon

Post by Obsidian »

I get the same thing as Leeward about once a month and being a bit claustrophobic like most people it freaks me out ;D, for me it feels like I'm struggling to breathe, also for some reason it always feels like my throat is getting crushed.

Most times I get it its not visual stimulation but more sounds I imagine like hearing my PC playing games or my brother calling me, I want to respond and be like wake me up this sucks and obviously cant. When I eventually do wake up there was no reason for the sounds, like I heard my brother calling at 4am and of course he was still asleep.

I had it one long ago with the hallucinations but it wasn't really terrifying or anything, just felt like there were a bunch of people in my room doing god knows what and I wanted to tell them to bugger off but couldn't cause of the sleep paralysis, eventually I managed to wake up and they were gone. Very confusing :P.
It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, especially if you live near him.

Always be yourself..... Unless you can be a Dragon, then always be a Dragon
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

I have sleep apnoea, but no issues once awake. I also have sleep bruxism, which it is theorised is caused by breathing issues in sleep. I'm not claustrophobic at all so it doesn't really bother me, apart from the false accusations of laziness. And like Obsidian, I also mostly react to auditory rather than visual stimuli, since when this happens my eyes are generally closed.
Tocs
The glowing blue panda
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Husky

Post by Tocs »

I really don't know if this relates in any way, but I do in a sense get what leeward has often. I will be aware of what's going on around me but have an extreme sense of uneasiness, absolute dread and as though something is about to burst through my door, or as though I'm surrounded for literally no reason, I try to move but often can't and then it's as though someone shocks me or pushes down hard on me (which has often knocked the breath out of me many times) and only then do I jolt up in bed, sweating like crazy, panting heavily, shaking and not being able to see correctly.. I used to just shrug it off but because it's happening so often recently (as in the past 2 years) it has lead me to believe it is a kind of sleep paralysis. I guess that's one of the reasons of why I'm kind of an insomniac because I just hate the feeling. Can you blame me?
For the most part, it is pointless to be sad in life.
Because sad spelt backwards is das
And das not good
Love every stranger, the stranger the better
The darker the night, the brighter I glow!
Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

Obsidian and Tocs. Maybe you guys shouldn't watch the Nightmare 2015 mkay :lol:

See this is a more common phenomenon that I think people realize. The sense of uneasiness and the actual hallucinations depends on your state of mind. I believe the moment you cannot move or struggle to breath most people get scared and create scary thoughts. Thus scary things manifests in your hallucination. A shit ton of people describe it as if they're being watched as well and they're absolutely sure about it. And no Tocs I don't blame you for 1 second.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

That sounds pretty awful Tocs, and it does sound like some type of sleep paralysis.

I forgot to mention, I also get terrible night sweats, and frequently wake up freezing cold because my shirt is soaked and I'm lying next to a boyfriend burrito with a blanket for a tortilla. That is a known common side effect of my meds though (along with the hand tremors), but it's not annoying enough to warrant switching to something else that might be worse.
Tocs
The glowing blue panda

Post by Tocs »

I also forgot to mention where I often experience what obsidian experiences in terms of hearing noises, that pretty much has ranged (from what I can remember) from my mum asking if I put sunscreen on at 2 In the morning, to my sister screaming for help because her boyfriend was kidnapping her kid (at the time she didn't have a boyfriend and she still doesn't have a kid). The only time I have experienced hallucinations is on the 26th of December (I have no idea what it is, but I don't know whether to call it an annual reoccurring dream or if it is annual sleep paralysis) but I pretty much will be lying in my bed, just about to fall asleep, where some creepy, decomposed body of a female loved one (has ranged from my mother, sister, cousin, aunt, friend and niece) where they come up right to my ear crying and then constantly scream and shout "how could you do this to me?"... yeah... I'm not the best sleeper and often I can't talk about this because well, even when writing this I know it sounds crazy haha. But it's happened guaranteed every year on the 26th of December and it is easily one of the scariest things I go through, and often the next day I'm sick or have the overwhelming feeling to stay away from family... Yeh...
And das not good
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Don't worry you're not alone, a good friend of mine swears he saw a ghostly woman in a red dress in a supposedly empty loft.
Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

Sheesh freaky stuff.

Furries should share their thoughts on this topic and even vivid nightmares that you can remember. I'll share my crazy stuff in a moment.
Obsidian
Species: Dragon

Post by Obsidian »

Jeez Tocs you getting next level nightmares :lol:

I dont get nightmares at all from what I can tell, during REM sleep or sleep paralysis. But I also find horror movies boring so I dont think im wired for it.

People should keep a dream journal, although I'm too lazy when I wake up normally
It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, especially if you live near him.

Always be yourself..... Unless you can be a Dragon, then always be a Dragon
Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

Is exactly what I started doing in 2012. I need to find it to explain why I also stopped doing it. I only get nightmares or similar short wakeup shocks like falling. But haven't remembered a dream since 2013 wherebouts.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

I started a dream journal and then gave up on it. Back when I started my meds I was having ridiculously vivid dreams, and even a few lucid ones, but now I hardly ever dream any more.
Tocs
The glowing blue panda

Post by Tocs »

Haha I know I keep on just going on about myself here and I'm sorry about that, but I also do have reoccurring dreams about being sucked into the sky or falling from the sky usually with some disembodied voice screaming out how much I'm a disgrace... admittedly I have not had one in years, but apparently according to my parents I constantly had this type of nightmare when I was a child. I would start a dream journal but I'm too much of a grumpy grouch in the mornings to even do anything, yeah... I'm a night person
And das not good
rusted hydra
Cannibal
Sexual preference: Bi

Post by rusted hydra »

Mng...
So sleep paralysis being a case of not being able to move in a dream right?
Umn....
Haven't had much of that lately. Used to have some bad cases of it but it all stopped after one dream.
(Now I am a lucid dreamer(which I have come to hate))
This one dream I was lying in bed, and there was a voice yelling "hulp" over and over, and it was getting closer, I couldn't move, stuck to my bed, thinking 'not this paralysis again' and battled to move and in some twist I battled against it and got up and started running through the house yelling "Who are you" over and over, I then woke up.
Sleep paralysis has stopped for me, and the cases... I don't know what to call them... but cases where my body feels weak and then someone is doing something to someone or to me and I am too weak to fight back... those are becoming really infrequent.

And then there was the night terrors.
happened 3 times round last year I think. but never happened again.
1)Something jumped on my legs while I was sleeping. woke up instantly in a cold sweat.
2)a shadow tried to suck the air out my lungs, feeling persisted even when I woke up and only went away when I put on the light, was in a cold sweat.
3)something grabbed my face, I opened my eyes, awake, couldn't see anything in the dark, a voice kept whispering "don't scream" over and over, grip and voice dissipeared when I yelled out(waking my parents) and I switched on the light seeing nothing
Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

Fido Ebbon wrote: 2)a shadow tried to suck the air out my lungs, feeling persisted even when I woke up and only went away when I put on the light, was in a cold sweat.
3)something grabbed my face, I opened my eyes, awake, couldn't see anything in the dark, a voice kept whispering "don't scream" over and over, grip and voice dissipeared when I yelled out(waking my parents) and I switched on the light seeing nothing
These 2 sound very similar to the extended hypnopompia we're spooking about.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sev »

Yeigh, that sounds rough. I would be terrified out of my living brackets.
rusted hydra
Cannibal

Post by rusted hydra »

Eh... I'd still prefer the night terrors over some dreams I have...
Dreams people would wish they had
Dreams that others would see as wonderful
Those have become my nightmares.

Hot tip of the century, don't keep a dream diary, in fact don't do anything you read up on "getting yourself to lucid dream"
Cause one night you'll forget your dreaming, and the nightmare will start when you wake and continue forever
Helios_phi
The depraved

Post by Helios_phi »

Just for my own data.
Would people also mention what medication they are on. I see three people on here who are experiencing these night terrors are also on antidepressants.
Side effect of the pill popping maybe?
[REDACTED]
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Fido Ebbon wrote:one night you'll forget your dreaming, and the nightmare will start when you wake and continue forever
There's a simple solution to that.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Helios_phi wrote:Just for my own data.
Would people also mention what medication they are on. I see three people on here who are experiencing these night terrors are also on antidepressants.
Nope, been having the paralysis, bruxism and apnoea since way before I started doing drugs. The only side effects of my SSRI are night sweats and minor hand tremors.
rusted hydra
Cannibal

Post by rusted hydra »

Hmm... probably a good idea.
Though on my side I have not had anti depressants for over... 6 years?
And I have been on an anti psychotic for more than 5
Leeward wrote: There's a simple solution to that
Oh nonnnonon
Cause your nightmare will be the bitter reality your stuck in, forever haunted by that one dream where you forgot reality and truly was what you always wanted to be and had all you ever desired...
I had wings, I could feel them and control them as if they were my arms. and then gone... taken away by waking up
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

I'll probably never get these hallucinations cause I sleep like a rock. It's a shame cause if a Succubus aver tries to have sex with me and I get out of that paralysis early there'd be scratch marks on the floor...

Hers! :twisted: :lol:
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Lol I sleep like a rock too most of the time, my brain is just very slow to boot.
Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

So there is still a possibility...?
succubus_by_wuduo-d8cy9jq.jpg
Score!
Tocs
The glowing blue panda

Post by Tocs »

Helios_phi wrote:Just for my own data.
I don't take any sort of medication
And das not good
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian
Region: Other

Post by Raven Song »

I've hallucinated since I was a young girl. The worst one I ever had was when I was driving with my driving instructor and I swerved violently out the way of a car that came screaming up past us, and my instructor freaked out and asked what the hell I was doing and I said avoiding that car. to which he told me there was no car.

I have hallucinated everything from dragons in the sky, people who aren't there, people dying around me. I think it's one of the reasons I have such an obsession with death and murder... it surrounds me mentally.

Medically the cause for my hallucinations is due to my brain slipping into the REM phase of sleep while I am still conscious, causing my mind to vividly see things that its actually making up. My doctor wanted to put me on the same pills they put Schizo's on but my dad had a wobble so instead I went on iron suppliments and something called Pherroglobin to try help wake me up a little better. it worked for a while but I still get hallucinations, not as bad as before but I can definetly still see them. doesn't help that I have a wickedly strong sense of imagination because it used to get scary.

I almost stabbed a fellow classmate once because of the hallucinations.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

Let me get to my dream journal, better known as my personal hell.

At the time there where 3 people in my life I would literally die for. It's important to understand that I have a strong feeling of responsibility for people close to me. This was my girlfriend, my mother and my sister. I did the journal as a mind map where I would wright out the story later the day. Some are pretty insane but I never fill in gaps with more logic. I'm literally telling it how it was.

17th June: (Dream journal started a bit before that but I'm not gonna type all the craziness.)

I'm in a mall or grocery store, the layout is completely nonsensical and i'm doing shopping. I walk towards the butchery area, the place immediately transitions into a kitchen without me remembering walking in to it. I do remember being under some kind of pressure to get stuff done in the dream which somehow turns me into a chef for that kitchen. I'm making something for a hotel but with mince and chocolate slabs in the same dish. We're having some kind of a chocolate shortage and before I know it I'm being prosecuted by the police for it. An argument starts and I invite them into my office. Sitting on a desk in a completely empty room that seems infinite in 2 directions. The cops talk about something to do with speeding fines with me under one of those interrogation lights and I reply with we'll have enough chocolate to sort this out if they gave me more time. They replied that the due date has passed and there is now a global shortage of chocolate in the world. They arrest me and brings a straitjacket towards me while the physical environment completely collapses. I freak out to the extent that I woke up.

This is a very good example of the transition problems and the nonsensicalness included in most of my dreams.

22nd June:

I'm walking on a beam of concrete blocks, the world around me is distorted but I do remember my friend standing in front. I slip and fall and instead of hitting the pavement I fall straight through it into a latticework of clocks, as I'm freefalling with the sensation of constant acceleration in this warped universe that feels like a LSD trip the clocks starts ticking louder and louder until they all sound the alarm at the same time. For some reason I think about how the laws of simultaneity breaks down in different frames of reference only to wake up and found my alarm clock is going off and I overslept.

A lot of my dreams are like this. Many also relate to fields I'm either employed in or have an interest in.

1st July:

Me and Christine (my ex) are both driving on the R28 in the middle of the night. It starts being more and more like a cross-country American highway in the Nevada dessert and we're driving in some classic American car. We need to update our parents on where we are at the moment cause the journey is now somehow cross country. For some reasons the only cellphone we have is in the boot/trunk of the car. I pull over and she fetches it only for me to hear horrid screams as she opens the trunk. I jump out and find that the trunk is filled completely with human blood. No remains, just blood. For some reason, transparent enough to see through it only to find 2 cellphones at the back with the one ringing underneath the blood. I reached in, gave her her phone and answer the other only to hear the exact same scream on the other side that she made when opening the trunk. As I turned around she's nowhere to be found and I run into the field on the side yelling. I turn around to fetch the phone that I dropped to call her or the police or something. When I got to the car something jumps out of the trunk with a cable and strangles me from behind. I wake up.

The above dream I can reference back to it's origins of a similar feeling or idea I got when watching Joyride. In the film they found the receiver in the trunk with the brake lights drowning the scene in red. And no the fact that my Ex's name was Christine has nothing to do with the American car theme. :lol: Waking up finding my ex on the bed and breathing was one of the most relieving moments of my life.

So now, even though the R28 thing started turning into some American highway and that the cellphone was in the boot for some reason, you should notice how in a short amount of time the dreams started becoming more lucid and I can recall fine details which fitted more in a real world environment. Details that I didn't wright down in the journal even such as my ex pointing towards the rock formations on the side of the road. Even the lines on the road was created in a more similar manner that I've seen or experienced before. We we're driving on the left though.

22nd August:

So here is where it stopped. I didn't write this down but it was on the 22nd of August and I remembered it exactly. I'm now already recalling whether I'm dreaming or not sometimes which was the purpose of the journal, then this one came along during a time me and my ex where fighting and it is to date the longest most vivid bitch of a dream. I've even talked to people about it.

I'm at a wedding. My GF at the time's wedding and she's marrying one of my friends. The venue architecture is exactly similar to that of my sister's wedding. The priest was some dude I hated for being the most boring preacher when I was still religious. The 2 flower girls was these 2 brats I can't stand from another friend who is the best man. I'm obviously in complete envy and just want it over and done with. However just like weddings it's the most fucken dragged out boring experience that for some reason the bride and the groom thinks people enjoy. I was there with my sister and my parents where invited as well. After the wedding was done we didn't stay for the reception and my sister is driving home with me. It's a gravel parking lot and we greeted everyone and finally got to go home. However it's already night time.

The road turns from this gravel into a standard dirt road but it's quite long. In a daze I turn left into a corner around some bushes in complete blackness instead of right onto the tarmac and my sister asks where I'm going. But before she could even finish her words and me looking back to where I should've gone, I drove into a sinkhole or mine shaft of the exact width of my car. Nose facing straight down we stopped as the rocks friction held up the car.

Lights are on and all we see is this black tunnel that seems to go on forever in front of us. I ask her to slowly reach for her cellphone and just as she starts dialing for help the car falls further down. Now there is no reception and I'm trying to figure out what we're gonna do. Getting actual panic attacks not due to a fear of dying but not being able to help my sister out of the situation. We fall a little more again and I know it's over cause we're at least 100m down after the second fall and it's literally in the middle of no where around some obscured turn. The humidity started building up and my stress is in waves of complete anxiety to fear and then back again. It felt like it lasted for hours until I woke up.

Waking up was just as weird cause my GF that got married was lying next to me in bed. This was way to realistic for my liking and I can perfectly visualize my entire field of vision minute after minute. I even phoned my sister that day just to talk to her.

So this is why I stopped the dream journal thing cause my brain constantly tries to trick me when I recall dreaming by adding more and more detail. It's not horror in most cases but a worse feeling. If it was only me it wouldn't have been nearly as bad but my worst fear is making a mistake and loosing someone close to me as a result of that without the ability to do anything about it.

My vivid dreams are never good. Therefore I don't want to remember them.

/WOT