Nightmare

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
Animew
Banter kitty
Species: Animu cat

Re: Nightmare

Post by Animew »

Fido Ebbon wrote: Oh nonnnonon
Cause your nightmare will be the bitter reality your stuck in, forever haunted by that one dream where you forgot reality and truly was what you always wanted to be and had all you ever desired...
I had wings, I could feel them and control them as if they were my arms. and then gone... taken away by waking up
lucid dreaming sorts that right out, it’s like having your own custom reality once you master it.
albus dumbledore wrote: it does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live
reality is what our minds construct from the stimuli around us, what’s so wrong about skipping the stimuli and just constructing your own reality?

...well apart from the fact that you will be living a lie and begin to shrivel up and die like any other addict... completely wasting your life and potential...
but really, what’s so wrong about that when you can have sexual intercourse with some bizarre creature from your wildest imaginings AND ACTUALLY FEEL IT!
Duck face? i thought they were all just making fart noises when posing for pictures...
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

My lucid dream involved going to Magic School and learning to fly a broom and cast fireballs. Pretty awesome, but if it were more lucid I probably would have done something different.
Animew
Banter kitty

Post by Animew »

Leeward wrote:My lucid dream involved going to Magic School and learning to fly a broom and cast fireballs. Pretty awesome, but if it were more lucid I probably would have done something different.
that does sound like a lot of fun. i find it best to go with it when its good, sometimes you can ruin it by controlling it too much.
Duck face? i thought they were all just making fart noises when posing for pictures...
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian
Region: Other

Post by Raven Song »

well I hallucinated last night again...
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Animew
Banter kitty

Post by Animew »

RavenSong wrote:well I hallucinated last night again...
you have activated my curious!
do you have auditory visual tactile or all of the above hallucinations? also have you tried carrying a small book with you and reading from it when you have a hallucination?
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

I have full blown "Oh my god it touched my hand... no wait there wasn't anything there" hallucinations. The one I had that day was audio though. I was travelling up the escalators in the underground and there were like ten other people on the up and down sides but they were all pretty far from me... this particular up is in Green Park station so my right ear is next to the wall. I wasn't paying attention but I was buggered... suddenly I hear two women having a conversation right in my ear (the right hand side one). I look around and there are no female couples anywhere. I tried to calm down and I heard them again, very loud and very clearly. they were talking about Christmas pudding and some guy burning something on Christmas day, but more like it had already happened. I got off the escalator and checked the next bunch of people to get off and none of them had two women in their group. I stood next to a wall and put in my earphones to try calm down.
I have two songs I go to when I have that... since I was young I've listened to "Where is My Mind" by the Pixies... which is a little ironic I suppose... but recently I started using "Midnight City - M83 (remix)" as my escape song.
Animew
Banter kitty

Post by Animew »

lol, that would kinda freak me out. lol, but if there were people around i'd probably not have noticed since i don’t pay that much attention to people unless they make sudden moves towards me.
you should try reading something when having a hallucination. when in "rem mode" the part of your brain responsible for understanding written words isn’t on, so trying to read something may snap you out of it or make you aware of the hallucination. you probably have to read the same thing twice though to be sure. your brain sometimes just makes up the words when reading in "rem mode" so if you read something different the second time you'd know it’s not real.

i once had a problem figuring out the difference between dreams and reality and this trick came in handy for distinguishing the two. perhaps it can help you too?
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Looking at anything with symbols like house numbers, clocks, signs, etc. or even your hands can also jolt your brain into realising it's a dream, because they tend to warp and change rather than stay fixed like in reality.
Faanvolla
Plaas Brak
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Dog (Vampire)
Region: Western Cape

Post by Faanvolla »

I don't know if this is exactly the kind of nightmare as the rest or if the feeling I had after waking up counts as a for of hallucination, but yesterday I had probably one of the worst nights of my life.
I have real bad trypophobia (the fear of holes). I hate it so much. Like when it's something like a honeycomb or a bunch of pipes then I'm fine, but if it's the exact same thing somewhere where it shouldn't be, like an eye or on skin I absolutely lose it.
Like if I unexpectedly or not see a picture of it I honestly feel ill, like I'm gonna be sick.

I'll put it in black so you don't have to read it if you don't want to. (Not a lot of text but it's gross imo)
It started as a rash on my arm that became larger and larger, then developed bubbles which sinked into the skin, and spread all over my body and face. Making these deep black holes/ sores into my skin. It went on in the dream for what felt like hours, and it felt like there were insects and stuff crawling inside of me
When I woke up I was shaking and felt extremely nauseous. I couldn't fall asleep for a long while after that cause I kept feeling like it was still all over me, and touching anything felt horrible. I honestly felt like cutting the skin off myself would make it go away but I luckily didn't do that (cause that would be dumb).

Honestly though I feel so stupid for having this damn phobia, it's not like it would really happen (I hope with all my being), and I haven't been able to stop thinking about the damn dream all day now and I don't know how much more I can handle.
I'm hoping posting about it will make me be able to move on from it.

And please, please, please don't link to any images with the [img] tag (or as a troll hyperlink, please).
Seize the day, not your bearings.
Steam, Rockstar SocialClub, Uplay, Battlenet: Faanvolla#2539, Telegram: @Faanvolla
Switch Code: SW-0054-4917-1029
DeviantArt,Furaffinity,SoFurry, Weasyl, FurryNetwork
ProfilePic by hanimetion
Animew
Banter kitty

Post by Animew »

Leeward wrote:Looking at anything with symbols like house numbers, clocks, signs, etc. or even your hands can also jolt your brain into realizing it's a dream, because they tend to warp and change rather than stay fixed like in reality.
*nod nod* your brain adapts though. it’s become rather good at rendering my hand and it's usually the first thing i gawk at in amazement during dreams. <_< annoyingly the "i must be dreaming, pinch me" thing doesn’t work, you feel pain rather well during dreams. lol, this one time i was cut in half and HOLY CRAB did that hurt! i instantly woke up though, but the pain came right out of the dream into reality and i was franticly feeling myself to see if i was bleeding because i could still feel the cut long after.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Faanvolla wrote:And please, please, please don't link to any images with the [img] tag (or as a troll hyperlink, please).
I won't be evil and provide any sort of links and images, just provide the terms necessary to induce nightmares for your entire life. Google image search at your own risk: jiggers, tungiasis, smallpox, dermal ulceration. Just the words make my skin crawl... (hehe see what I did there?)
Animew
Banter kitty

Post by Animew »

Faanvolla wrote: Honestly though I feel so stupid for having this damn phobia, it's not like it would really happen (I hope with all my being),
O_O it’s not stupid to have this phobia. i googled it just now and i was like "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! make me un-see it!"

also there are severe worm infestations that can lead to such things... pro tip: don’t go to central africa...
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

Leeward wrote:Looking at anything with symbols like house numbers, clocks, signs, etc. or even your hands can also jolt your brain into realising it's a dream, because they tend to warp and change rather than stay fixed like in reality.
unless you're one of the lucky few people who can read in dreams... which I can... I once read street signs in a dream... but I was young and I have no idea how the doctor proved that...
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

Sorry never got around to finishing my response to Animew and then I got distracted by food...

The only problem with reading (haven't tried it so will try next time I realize early enough that im hallucinating) is that I don't keep reading type materials with me and how can I trust adverts etc around me when today on the tube I found an advert that said (this is in exactly the same English they used...)

What do all these items have in common? (referring to a mashup of bikes, chairs, etc.)
There all made in France.

Yeah, so was your grammar proof readers!!! YOU HAD ONE JOB GUYS!!!
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe
Species: Green Folf
Region: Gauteng

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

I don't dream often, tend to blank out or just sleep lightly or somesuch, but last night, I dreamt I was with my mom, on th roof of a tall building, we were just chatting and suddenly the building collapses, I don't know how but I survived, but my mom and everyone else didn't, I spent the rest of my dream, between these strange flashes of lucidity as I seemed to wander around, hoping that someone knew what I should do.
AND THEN THE CAGE COMES DOWN! The cage with the Japanese fighting spiders inside, your mother strikes a match off her forearm and tells you to dance in the front room for money... - Dylan Moran
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

Ivic_Wulfe wrote:I don't dream often, tend to blank out or just sleep lightly or somesuch, but last night, I dreamt I was with my mom, on th roof of a tall building, we were just chatting and suddenly the building collapses, I don't know how but I survived, but my mom and everyone else didn't, I spent the rest of my dream, between these strange flashes of lucidity as I seemed to wander around, hoping that someone knew what I should do.
That sounds scary...

I know you've mentioned to me before that you don't dream often...

I wonder howcome some people (like you) hardly dream and some people (like me) dream every night...
Tocs
The glowing blue panda
Species: Husky

Post by Tocs »

I'm sorry to hear about your dream Ivic, it is never nice to go through. And that is actually a very good question Raven, because I also dream every night and to me it makes no sense in my eyes
For the most part, it is pointless to be sad in life.
Because sad spelt backwards is das
And das not good
Love every stranger, the stranger the better
The darker the night, the brighter I glow!
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe
Species: Green Folf

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

I tend to dream most vividly if I've already woken up at some point throughout the evening. But yeah, my dreams are few and far between, maybe once or twice a month at most and when they are there...well...they aren't happy.
AND THEN THE CAGE COMES DOWN! The cage with the Japanese fighting spiders inside, your mother strikes a match off her forearm and tells you to dance in the front room for money... - Dylan Moran
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sev »

I don't even need to be asleep in order to be trapped in a neverending nightmare. So many things seem to be going wrong right now.
jacojerb
Species: bunny/fox

Post by jacojerb »

I also dream pretty often, and often lucid dreams... But, the thing about lucid dreams is, when you're in a dream, you can start changing aspects of the dream. I prefer not to. Often, when I realize I'm dreaming, I'd rather just sit back and enjoy the show. It's interesting, the kinds of things your mind can come up with...

In psychology... There're many theories as to why we dream, but it's hard to know for sure. My personal favorite is that it's a type of simulation. The mind wants to see how it would react in situation which aren't even necessarily possible. Another popular theory is that the brain sorts through information we didn't necessarily sort through when awake. Things our sensory organs pick up that we didn't notice, because it wasn't of importance at the time. Then, of course, there's Sigmund Freud's theory... That dreams are always symbolizing things we don't really want to admit, things that have to be revealed through symbolism, because it's too shocking to reveal straight forward... I personally don't like Sigmund.

Either way, there's still a lot of debate in the psychology world about dreams, and it's easy to see why: how do you test it? Also, it may even differ from person to person.

On the subject of sleep paralysis, what happens it, when you're busy dreaming, the brain has to paralyze the body, as to not let it move, otherwise stuff like sleepwalking starts happening... On the other hand, if you wake up while in this state, it doesn't always instantly wear off. On top of that, you're still in the dream state, hence the hallucinations

I'm really no expert. Just random stuff I researched years ago for interests sake, so my memory might also be wrong. But I'd like to go study psychology full time... I really find this stuff so fascinating. On the other hand, it's probably better to go study brain physiology, but I've never liked biology... I feel like I'm going with psychology to look for answers I know I'll find elsewhere, but don't want to go look elsewhere... *sigh*
Mew?