New animal/human relationships

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

New animal/human relationships

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

I was watching TV and a programme came up with two new ways of animals helping humans.

In Africa landmines are a huge problem and difficult to detect. Apparently some don't have metal so metal detectors (most common way of finding them) won't work. Then they started training dogs to sniff the mines out but dogs get distracted and bored too easily. So now they are training rats to sniff out mines. Apparently the rats are easier to train, work better and are easier to transport. They are also too light to activate a landmine.

The other thing the programme showed was to prevent bird-strikes (birds crashing into planes and causing damage) by having trained dogs to chase the birds away when planes are landing and taking off.

On a related note:
I've seen a thing about people training hawks and falcons to chase wild birds away from airports.
I also read about a rat that was trained to wire old buildings by dragging the cable through the roof, guided by the trainer tapping the ceiling.
I know people were trying to make a plant that would change colour when it grew where there were chemicals found in landmines.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
anoyomouse
Sexual preference: Bi-mostly gay
Species: Brown House mouse
Region: Gauteng

Re: New animal/human relationships

Post by anoyomouse »

Yay, i knew rodents were useful for something ^.^
~~~(___^> *squeak*