Art and copyright

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Werewolf
Region: Gauteng

Art and copyright

Post by Valerion »

Here's a question I was thinking about today, and I would like to hear what the others here think (especially artists). I am also not sure if moral/ethical concerns and legal concerns here are the same, so any comments will be welcome, just mention from what angle you are commenting from. Also, this is not purely restricted to pictures, but also covers other types of art, like stories.

Say I design a new unique character, as opposed to a character created by someone else (take my fursona for example). I go to a artist and commission a picture of said character, and pays the artist. What rights do I have, and what does the artist have, with the finished picture? Would I be able to alter it (e.g. make a avatar from part of it for a forum)? Would I be able to let someone else recolour it? Can I sell prints of it? And what would the rights for all of the above be for the artist?

What if the above is a piece of gift art, instead of a paid commission? Does this change anything?
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Re: Art and copyright

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

I've done some art myself.

If you pay for a picture to be drawn then it's yours. You can make changes to the characters and use the picture for whatever you want. That I'd say also includes selling copies, although obviously you must credit the artist. Some artists might take offence to you selling their work though so that's probably best with a royalty.

If it's a gift it's a gift. You don't give someone a soccer ball for their birthday and say that they can only play with certain people or in one place. When you give a gift you don't get a say any longer.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Hargan
Species: Foxeh
Region: Gauteng

Post by Hargan »

My suggestion, plain and simple:

Check with the artist. Some would be only happy if you distributed it, others would think it a crime. So just check with each artist before you do anything.

My suggestion of course.
Warning: Has been known to speak his mind

Firm believer in Spiral Power
Jerik
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Husky
Region: KZN and Eastern Cape

Post by Jerik »

Depends entirely upon the artist!
and what is organised for the commission or favor!
this is IF it is a commission or favor!
otherwsie you ask for permission and ask what it will be used for!
but if an individual decides to fiddle with another artist's work or use it in any way without permission the artist has full permission to be highly annoyed!