Disguised as a Google bot?

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
SilverDragon
Ilache Darastri
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Dragon
Region: Western Cape

Disguised as a Google bot?

Post by SilverDragon »

Ok, firstly, I'm not sure where exactly this should go, so I picked the most related topic..

Anyways, a day or so ago I found a site that told me how to get into certain paysites without actually paying by disguising your browser as a Google bot, since they have access to these sites to allow indexing or something like that.

I downloaded an add-on for Firefox that allows you to easily switch your UserAgent to just about anything it seems. I doubted that it would work at first, and I still do actually, but when I tried to log into ZAFur a I saw that a user was logged in as Google[Bot] or something like that (which was me at that time apparently), so I had to set my UserAgent back to default before I could log in as an actual user..

I'm not exactly sure why I'm posting this :P but I find it quite interesting.. this seems to be an easy way to 'hack' certain sites, and ZAFur.co.za seems to be one of those 'hackable' sites..? >.>
---------------------
PSN ID:
Acronix_23
---------------------
(\_/)
(O.o)
This is Bunny.
(> <) He is on his way to World Domination
anoyomouse
Sexual preference: Bi-mostly gay
Species: Brown House mouse
Region: Gauteng

Re: Disguised as a Google bot?

Post by anoyomouse »

It's not a hack, it's a feature

phpBB has a special version of the site that allows the google bot to read the site "easily"

you forget to see the robots.txt file that 99% of all search bots use, and see that everything is actually blocked from being cached.

also, the "locked" content, such as the yiffy fourms should be closed to that too.

But yeah, certain sites want the google bot to go where it doesn't want users to go, in that case they serve a special page to the "google bot" and well stuff happens from there ... you can actually make a special website to discourage people from using this "hack" ;)
~~~(___^> *squeak*