Materialism versus Idealism

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
Denim
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Human
Region: Gauteng

Materialism versus Idealism

Post by Denim »

I've been reading an interesting book lately that revolves around what the author refers to as 'neurophilosophy' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurophilosophy) where an interesting alternate perceptive device is introduced, the concept of materialism. Now this isn't 'materialism' as we know it, it has nothing to do with monetary worth, possessions or ownership.

Instead the book deals with interpretation of everything based on, essentially, the basis of only our 5 senses as opposed to the idealistic perception that we are all raised with.

With materialism there isn't a notion of faith or similar ideals, only what we can know and the stimuli experienced by the 5 senses as individuals.

During a discussion about my stance on the scale between these two extremes I raised concern for how the ideals of truth, justice and other aspects of the idealistic perception are dealt with in materialism because some of ideals we base our systems and societies on require more input than the 5 senses can provide.

What I was mainly concerned about was that the lines start to become blurred in terms of the earlier topic I posted, about truth. As truth is an ideal which is fundamentally flawed because true objectivity is highly improbable, but since truth plays an important role in our lives and how we choose to act based on what we believe is true, how would the materialist view truth?

It's all a bit heavy, but I was curious about thoughts others may have.
You might want to buckle up.
anoyomouse
Sexual preference: Bi-mostly gay
Species: Brown House mouse
Region: Gauteng

Re: Materialism versus Idealism

Post by anoyomouse »

Wow, that sounds deep

A little confuzing for me too, but i think i understand the concept ...

i should ask if i can borrow that book >.>
~~~(___^> *squeak*