Teh furreh browser!

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Werewolf
Region: Gauteng

Teh furreh browser!

Post by Valerion »

Yeah, I know, old and lame joke ;)

Anyways, Firefox 3 is being released at 10am PDT (7pm SAST), and the Mozilla foundation is trying to get in the Guiness Book of Records for number of downloads over 24 hours. Not that there is anything in the same category existing already, but hey, who cares *grins*

http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord/ - so far they have 1.7m download pledges, 5,427 from SA. So if this is your thing, go for it.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Re: Teh furreh browser!

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Maybe I'll take a look. I've been using Firefox for a few years now. And I heard that they're making a Firefox for cellphones too, so we can all stop using Opera Mini.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Valerion
Alpha Wolf

Post by Valerion »

Mmmm ... initial impressions are not good, sorry to say. The spreadfirefox website has been giving sporadic 504 errors (though that COULD be Telkom) and the Firefox download page linked from there STILL has the 2.0.0.14 release according to my browser. 3.5 hours after the download window opened. Oh well ...

A FF for phones would be cool, methinks.
Yukon
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Husky/wolf

Post by Yukon »

I get the same thing Valerion...the link doesn't give 504 but the firefox site still has version 2 up only. Still since I'm into stats at the moment, I use this as a good base to record the internet activity differences between the various countries ;)

Firefox for cellphones? I like the idea ;) Everyone's getting in on the action with mobile devices.. Google is making a mobile OS. On top of that, it'll be open source! I've got my slice of the pie.. over R200k (with appraisal certificates) worth of .mobi domains hehe :twisted:

Had to nab wolfphotos.mobi as one of them just for fun lol! damn maybe i should have nabbed furry.mobi or something aswell =P I would certainly have gotten it as my company was invited for pre-reservations before .mobi was heard of... pity :(
There are 10 types of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Valerion
Alpha Wolf

Post by Valerion »

Yukon will likely correct my maths if I am wrong :)

Assumptions:
  1. Downloads are spread evenly over 24 hours
  1. Everyone downloads at the maximum speed
  1. TCP and IP overhead combined is 15%
  1. Proxies don't play a role
The Firefox 3 download is 7.14MB in size (7,496,920 bytes). Thus, with overhead this gives 8.211MB. They were initially aiming for 1,000,000 downloads in 24 hours, giving them 6.8184TB of data to be served out (using powers of 2 and not powers of 10). 24 hours has 86400 s. This gives us 86769907.407407407407407407407407 bytes/s, or 694159259.25925925925925925925926 bps. Converted, it gives 662 Mbps as minimum link bandwidth.

Right now (10:08 SAST), the site (http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord/) gives 5,079,227 downloads, of which 9,271 are from SA.

According to http://earthclock.strawbalehomes.org/ the world population is 6,679,586,787. Therefore 1 in every 1315 people across the world downloaded it. Impressive, if the stats are accurate.
anoyomouse
Sexual preference: Bi-mostly gay
Species: Brown House mouse

Post by anoyomouse »

More interesting for me would be the number of visitors that used IE to download it, or safari, or Opera.

Personally i'm staying away from FF, i've heard some people having favorites nuked because they tried to upgrade, and i like full integration with windows, and of course vista glass.

just my 2c worth
~~~(___^> *squeak*
Yukon

Post by Yukon »

The traffic was spead via many mirrors. The one I was directed to for download seems to be some sort of home page, so I imagine volunteers host the file and act as mirrors to share the traffic.

I was quite interested to see that nearly 40% of Africa's downloads were from South Africa, indicating that nearly 40% of all of Africa's internet activity originates from South Africa.
There are 10 types of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Frankly I don't find the 40% SA thing surprising. Let's admit it, SA is, sadly, the most advanced country on the continent. And most of the others are involved in civil wars or recovering from them.

I linked to FF site from FA and downloaded with no probs, although the site was really low to respond. I'm using FF3 now and all my bookmarks are around and I got a message that my add-ons can be updated. I'm hoping I can get my colour theme back again.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Valerion
Alpha Wolf

Post by Valerion »

Those of you reading Slashdot probably already saw this.

http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid ... 03/1251206

The final official tally was 8,002,530 downloads. Using powers of 2, this represents 59.5 TiB worth of data (62,419,734 MiB)
Sadrok
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Anthro Dragon
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sadrok »

Zelian
Sexual preference: bi-mostly straight
Species: Ssol-Arian lizard

Post by Zelian »

sadrok wrote:Eye candy for anyone who cares
http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/70-nice-an ... allpapers/
those are really awesome wallpapers there, hmm witch one am i gonna use
The peaceful reptilian hermit.

My youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXK0ix ... B25dLzYaHQ
SilverDragon
Ilache Darastri
Species: Dragon

Post by SilverDragon »

lol, yeah.. I just downloaded them all :P
---------------------
PSN ID:
Acronix_23
---------------------
(\_/)
(O.o)
This is Bunny.
(> <) He is on his way to World Domination
Yukon

Post by Yukon »

Likewise..shot for the link ;)
Wolfers
Snugglebeast
Species: Wolf/Bear

Post by Wolfers »

I'm gonna be a big old spoilsport now, hehe... Well, i've been a big FF fan for a very long time, because IE is generally an abomination, except for IE7, where some redemption has taken place. It's alright, but just barely. Anyway, after one too many FF crash (on 2.0.0.12), i downloaded Opera 9.27. I now run Opera 9.51, and i will never touch another browser. Not truely a furry browser, this Opera is, but it is as sleek as it is fast (very, in other words). Opera Link syncronises my phone and both my computers, as well as any other computer i use at campus. My bookmarks and speed dail are always available, everywhere (stop me if i'm rambing, hehe)...

So, anyone gonna tie me up and torture me with feathers now for being so otherwise? *laughs*

PS, those wallpapers are awesome. Thanks, drakie!
~Wolfers~

Professional Animal Impersonator
SilverDragon
Ilache Darastri
Species: Dragon

Post by SilverDragon »

Okay.. this should maybe go in the Software section, but I noticed that my FF3 does NOT have flash >.<

I don't know if this is some fault of FF or if it's just me being stupid, but I installed the newest flash, after installing FireFox 3 and still nothing..

So, for now.. I will be with Wolfers on this one.. Opera ftw :D
---------------------
PSN ID:
Acronix_23
---------------------
(\_/)
(O.o)
This is Bunny.
(> <) He is on his way to World Domination
Dualsa
Species: Blue Point Siamese or Husky
Region: KZN and Eastern Cape

Post by Dualsa »

Wolfers wrote: So, anyone gonna tie me up and torture me with feathers now for being so otherwise? *laughs*
Well, I might tie you up and torture you with feathers, but not for being otherwise ;P
Also, the wallpapers, are awesome ^^ struggled to choose which one to use >.>
Back after a long absence! Sometimes Siamese, sometimes Husky. Can't blame me for indecision, just gief me feesh :V
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

I remember having to install Flash somewhere. Can't remember if it was for FF2 or FF3 but after I did it it did work.

Ooh, a four word palindrome in there.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Wolfers
Snugglebeast
Species: Wolf/Bear

Post by Wolfers »

Dualsa wrote:
Wolfers wrote: So, anyone gonna tie me up and torture me with feathers now for being so otherwise? *laughs*
Well, I might tie you up and torture you with feathers, but not for being otherwise ;P
Also, the wallpapers, are awesome ^^ struggled to choose which one to use >.>
Really now, hmmm? *squeezes ya* Hehe... Oh, and with the wallpapers - i just downloaded them all and didn't apply one, effectively ridding myself of the pains of choosing, hehe...
~Wolfers~

Professional Animal Impersonator