Age or changing technologies

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Gauteng

Age or changing technologies

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

One thing I notice when I look back is that I used to be way more productive. I used to create forum threads, stories, articles, blog posts and so on at a much, much greater rate than I do now. I'm not sure if it's just that I've got older and am less active or if it's because the technologies have changed. I also remember when people used to log on and off of chat apps instead of having them permanently running and when there weren't constant group chats or social media. One of the consequences is probably that it's easier just to drop a link in a group chat than to write a proper post about it. I also know old bloggers that don't really use social media but regularly write long blog posts.

Has anyone else had a similar experience over the years? Or are there people that have started out with things in the last two or three years but are super productive? Do you guys not use social media and chat apps as much?
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard

Re: Age or changing technologies

Post by Adagio »

If I had to choose between the forum and a Telegram group. I'd still choose the forum. I hate telegram groups and I'm not in any.
The pace things go is just too fast and it feels like trying to say something between this sound:

But the think is. That's what people want these days. Fast paced information vomit.
And while I may not like it, I'd be a fool to deny it.

This is Generation X's time.
GreenReaper
Sexual preference: bi-mostly straight
Species: Kai Norn (Creatures)
Region: Other

Post by GreenReaper »

It's definitely a thing. I used to spend hours on LiveJournal, and I wrote many long journals on Inkbunny as well - but in the last few years, things tend to go on Twitter or to a lesser extent Discord or Telegram. This is potentially not a good development, as long-form content has worth, as does content in the public sphere vs. private.

I write on Flayrah as well, sometimes; but I used to do both, and more of it - nowadays, I tend to post mostly Newsbytes. Perhaps because I always feel I have something else I should do, and I'm not even keeping up with that. In fairness there is ever-more fun content to watch from others, and art, and I still write a lot roleplaying on Tapestries. So perhaps it's just my focus has changed. But it's hard to shake the feeling that we are more-easily distracted now into trivial pursuits with the proliferation of devices.

Of course, much of what I wrote on LJ or forums was just what I'd put now on Twitter, now that it doubled its character length and reduced the cost of threading; there were many one or two-line posts. LJ was merely the microblog of its era. People moved on, and if you don't follow you find yourself talking with just a small group of friends just as you would tend to on Discord anyway. Compare posting on VCL nowadays.
Laurence "GreenReaper" Parry
GreenReaper Studios - WikiFur - Flayrah - Inkbunny
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

In a somewhat related article, I saw there's an opinion piece on Wired which says that we need to go back to blogs and stuff to improve information sharing. It doesn't want to get rid of things like Twitter but it, rightly, points out that they are horrible venues for sharing more than links and short messages.
https://www.wired.com/story/opinion-exp ... ack-blogs/
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard

Post by Adagio »

Twitter is garbage and I refuse to use it.