The Perfect University

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
Nasheera

The Perfect University

Post by Nasheera »

Greetings all fluffbums!

I'm in Grade 11 this year, and I've realised that it's due time to start thinking about my future seriously.

I'd like to hear everyone's mature opinions on a handful of universities, here in SA.

I'm a very arty person. I love drawing, crafting and performing. I'm open minded and respect all forms art, from a tasteful Woollies Food advertisement to professional oil painted portraits.

I LOVE movies and everything about filmmaking! The credits are my favourite part of most movies, just seeing everyone's ranking and position and wondering "What does a rigger do behind the scenes? Will I end up doing that one day too?"

The Animation School sounds really nice, yet focuses on a very specific media. I don't know that much about AFDA, but it sounds nice from the little that I've heard. I have recently learned more about Open Window which is starting to grow on me, seeing as they offer animation and set design.

If anyone has any information about the subjects that these universities offer, or can suggest any other universities that may suit my interests, please drop a reply! :D
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Re: The Perfect University

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

I don't know too much about the places that offer those sort of courses. My sister studied animation at City Varsity, if I remember correctly, and I know some school friends went to an advertising school in Cape Town. I don't know the relative quality of them though. None of them are actually universities and if you are studying design or film making, you probably don't want to be at a university.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

You should talk to Totem, she studies that stuff.
Kilektor
Sexual preference: Straight
Region: Other

Post by Kilektor »

TUKS of Niks!!! ❤
Don't tell me what I can and can not do, I'll just prove you wrong every time
jacojerb
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: bunny/fox
Region: Gauteng

Post by jacojerb »

My sister studies at Open Window. She assures me its the best place in the country to study film... I honestly have no idea, personally, but the way my sis talks about it, it's your best bet.

There's also another fur who goes to Open Window... Forgot who...

But yeah. From what I've heard, going to art college's is actually better than going to university.
Mew?
Tocs
The glowing blue panda
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Husky

Post by Tocs »

Perhaps look at the BA chores offered at wits, I know for a fact their humanities department is particularly good compared to most in South Africa
For the most part, it is pointless to be sad in life.
Because sad spelt backwards is das
And das not good
Love every stranger, the stranger the better
The darker the night, the brighter I glow!
Sudan Red
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Lion

Post by Sudan Red »

Kilektor wrote:TUKS of Niks!!! ❤
TUKS OF NIIIIIKS!!!

*cough* Alma Mater aside... I would really recommend technical schools/technicons for such a practical course. I feel that they give far more practical experience & exposure than a university would.

TUT has a strong art department, but you'd have to see if the subjects & courses align with your individual interests. Costs as well as access to ammenities should also be considered when choosing a tertiary institute.

OH AND PS!!!!
Check out how many protest disruptions there were at the institutes you're interested in. Doesn't help to have an excellent course but protests bar you from writing exams!