Writing: Inspiration and Action

Have a flair for poetry, stories, or even write songs? Need some advice or looking for a beta-reader? This is the place for you!

Moderator: Erdwolf_TVL

Animew
Banter kitty
Species: Animu cat

Writing: Inspiration and Action

Post by Animew »

lol, i know rite! sometimes i think my mom deliberetly made me read crazy shit to turn me into a pcycopath. <_< i did really enjoy the lobo comics though, i mean who wouldnt want to grow up to be like this guy?
Duck face? i thought they were all just making fart noises when posing for pictures...
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Necrobat

Re: Foxes

Post by Contrast »

I had Smif'Beau growing up (coincidentally also an intergalactic bounty hunter / mercenary). I can't find any good pictures of him, though. I guess he wasn't as popular. :P

Read my novel on: SoFurry | Fur Affinity | Deviant Art
Animew
Banter kitty

Post by Animew »

that’s pretty awesome! it got so expensive to import comics later on that i lost touch with the lobo storyline. ^_^" that didn't stop me from walking around with a chain wrapped around my arm as a little kid though. ah, good times... good times. it's also probably the reason why i started drawing comics.
what was your main inspiration for starting writing btw? (well if you don’t mind me asking that is... i mean it’s all personal n such so if you don’t feel like saying then i won’t hold it against you... just saying...)
Duck face? i thought they were all just making fart noises when posing for pictures...
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

"Misery" by Stephen King. I pretty much grew up reading Stephen King, but that novel in particular made me want to be a writer.

Also I'm too lazy to get a real job. :P
Animew
Banter kitty

Post by Animew »

i was also raised on Stephen king for the most part but it’s the dark tower series that had me reading. But sometimes i get annoyed at his attempts to freak out his readers though, <_< i mean we are all use to far more messed up shit so he should just stick to the story IMO.

lol, same reason i got into consulting and assessment… really, I can’t believe people pay me to go on vacations lol.
jacojerb
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: bunny/fox
Region: Gauteng

Post by jacojerb »

My teachers inspired me to write xD

They'd always personally tell me that they loved my essays... *sigh* it sucks that I never have the patience to write anything longer than an essay. Just kinda lose track...

Meh. I'll finish a book one day...
Mew?
Animew
Banter kitty

Post by Animew »

the english teachers are always the best teachers in my experience O_o it’s so strange, math teacher tells me i'm stupid, geography teacher tells me i'm lost, biology teachers just freak me the hell out but i like the subject regardless and then there are the english teachers being kind and supportive... seriously, every school i've been to! do they train teachers to act a specific way according to subject?

and i'm sure you will dude, just don’t give up. i mean you can make a book out of a compilation of essays too. O_o it’s the best way to do it methings, that way it’s gona be really digestible.
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

Nah, all my English teachers were either a bunch of hippy-dippy new-age flower children or Afrikaner Boere anties who couldn't say "car" without going "RRRRRRRRRRRRR".
jacojerb wrote:*sigh* it sucks that I never have the patience to write anything longer than an essay. Just kinda lose track...
Meh. I'll finish a book one day...
Animew wrote:i mean you can make a book out of a compilation of essays too. O_o it’s the best way to do it methings, that way it’s gona be really digestible.
Sorry, as somebody who's actually submitted works for publication I have to disagree with you here. Compilations are some of the least profitable ventures for publishers to undertake, even when written by well known authors. This is because people who want to read short stories mostly read them in magazines, and people who want to read longer works would rather read a full novel instead of multiple shorter works. The chances of an unknown writer's compilation getting accepted is practically zero.

Writing short stories is fine, but if you want to write a book, I suggest you pick your best idea and focus on nothing else until it's done. If you write 1000 words a day, you could finish in three months, depending on how long it is.
Animew
Banter kitty

Post by Animew »

i once published a book that was all in Hindi, for the lulz (i was young and stupider than i am now at the time)
it ended up getting translated to english by an American cult but is now banned in most of the civilized world... it contained graphic illustrations of animal genitalia and detailed rituals involving fox urine... O_O so i think there are some publishers that would go for anything if you sell the idea to them well enough.
but what if he say, did multiple essays on the same story from different characters perspective? then he cleverly weaves them together so that it reads like one long continuous story when it’s actually the same short story just told dynamically? <_< in fact, I think I’ve encountered that before…
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

I know what you're talking about, but I can't come up with any good examples. The closest thing I can think of right now is Pulp Fiction.

It's definitely a doable idea, but if the stories come together to form one big story then it's no longer a compilation of short stories, but rather a novel with a shifting narrative.

I've found that most publishers hate experimental stuff. They'd much rather stay with the tried and true formulas that are guaranteed to turn a profit.
jacojerb

Post by jacojerb »

I actually like that style of book, but no...

It's kinda strange. When I write, I make the whole world in my head, see and feel every character. And when I put the pen down, the world kinda just fades away... When I try to continue later on, my old writing feels foreign. I struggle to get that world back in my head, especially if it gets more complex...
Mew?
Animew
Banter kitty

Post by Animew »

lol, still, he would be taking lots of essays and compiling them in a new format. all the books i've done have been compilations of lots and LOTS of notes lol.

hehe, most publishers can be tricked into thinking it's tried and true, just have to sell it right... O_O and have many pen names.
jacojerb wrote:I actually like that style of book, but no...

It's kinda strange. When I write, I make the whole world in my head, see and feel every character. And when I put the pen down, the world kinda just fades away... When I try to continue later on, my old writing feels foreign. I struggle to get that world back in my head, especially if it gets more complex...
i know that feel, that’s probably why i don’t write fiction... unless it’s in a comic format, i find it a lot easier to get back into a world if i use pictures.
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

jacojerb wrote:When I write, I make the whole world in my head, see and feel every character. And when I put the pen down, the world kinda just fades away... When I try to continue later on, my old writing feels foreign. I struggle to get that world back in my head, especially if it gets more complex...
You don't need to think about a whole world to write. You just need to think about the next word. It's not magic we're talking about here, but writing. It's a job, same as laying tile or stacking brick. It all gets done one word at a time. Focus on what's in front of you, rather than everything that's going on in the fictional space around that next word.

Focus gets shit done.

Faanvolla
Plaas Brak
Species: Dog (Vampire)
Region: Western Cape

Post by Faanvolla »

Animew wrote: but what if he say, did multiple essays on the same story from different characters perspective?
Sounds almost like Vantage Point (2008)
Seize the day, not your bearings.
Steam, Rockstar SocialClub, Uplay, Battlenet: Faanvolla#2539, Telegram: @Faanvolla
Switch Code: SW-0054-4917-1029
DeviantArt,Furaffinity,SoFurry, Weasyl, FurryNetwork
ProfilePic by hanimetion
jacojerb

Re: Writing: Inspiration and Action

Post by jacojerb »

I mostly write for fun. I doubt I'm nearly good enough to make it a job anyway...

The way I see it, writing is an art. I can't draw, I can't make music, I can't act, I can't sculpt... So writing is really the only thing I can contribute. And I'm not even good at that, seeing as I haven't finished a story in... ever...
Mew?
rusted hydra
Cannibal
Sexual preference: Bi

Re: Writing: Inspiration and Action

Post by rusted hydra »

I read Terry Pratchett's disc world while growing up. I loved those books.