JJ's crappy writings

Have a flair for poetry, stories, or even write songs? Need some advice or looking for a beta-reader? This is the place for you!

Moderator: Erdwolf_TVL

jacojerb
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: bunny/fox
Region: Gauteng

JJ's crappy writings

Post by jacojerb »

My teachers at school have always told me I have an amazing talent with writing, but usually when I tried to write at home, the pages would just end up in the trash. So, due to the confidence boosts I've been getting, and the fact that I now write using my phone, the pages don't end up in the trash anymore :D

So, I've got two stories. One I started a while back, a crappy gay romance one, with which I just don't know where to go with now, and a story I started writing yesterday.

I don't really wanna share the first, because, either people would hate it, which would be bad, or they'd love it, in which case they'd want more of it, which I probably won't do due to it already feeling stretched to me. But if you're interested in reading it anyway, I'd send it to you over whatsapp or PM

Anyways, here's the first two chapters of my yet to be named new story. Hope you enjoy (note: I'm kinda lazy with names):

A tear ran down JJ's cheek as his knees became weak, holding tightly onto his staff. Though the dagger was now on the floor, the damage was done, and the blood was flooding from his back. Knowing it was too late, all he could do was lay down and giggle to himself. "How far have I come, and for this?", he thought to himself. He tried to mend the wound, already knowing it wouldn't work, but what else could he do in his last moments...

As a pup, JJ would never have forseen this fate. In fact, he was usually the one to break up fights in his village. The first real episode he could remember couldn't have been when he was older than 6...

Back then, he still had a clean, ebony coat. His floppy ears still had no chips, and he still had a heart of gold.

He lived in Pin, a small village about a two hours walk from the closest town, namely Demar, separated by the ancient Mari Woods

The village didn't have much. Most of its income came from bottling water from the springs in the village. It had a decent forge for making glass bottles for the water, which was also used for making weapons for hunting in the surrounding forest.

To spite there only being about 50 people in the village, JJ was never lonely. His best friend was an Otter named Kai, who'd always get himself into mischief. Once, when the two were only 6 years old, Kai had gotten himself into a fight with Alex, a blond tiger, who was 10 at the time...

Alex spent several days perfecting a trap with twigs, with which he eventually caught a small feral rabbit. He took much pride in the trap, but Kai didn't agree with the practice at all, and destroyed the trap, in order to set the rabbit free

Alex, of course, was furious, giving Kai a big scratch to the face. JJ saw his friend being attacked, and, though his bunny-fox muscles wasn't the strongest, he managed to grab Alex's arm before a second blow could hit...

"This basterd completely ruined my trap!" Alex exclaimed.

"I just wanted to free mr. Bunny..." defended Kai, which only provoked a growl from Alex.

"Guys, please just don't fight!" cried JJ, wildly clinging to Alex's arm, preventing him from using it as a weapon

"uggh! Babies." Sayd Alex as he shaked JJ off his arm, before walking off

Shortly after, Kai ran off, crying, searching for someone to help ease the pain in his face

JJ spent the next few days reverse engineering and fixing the trap, without letting Kai know, of course, and returned it to Alex along with a small feral bunny within...

Chapter 2:

The first time JJ got to leave the village was two weeks after his tenth birthday. He'd been very exited for the day, and had always wanted to go to town with his family, but was always told that: " the forest is no place for a cub". So when his tenth birthday came, his parents finally gave in and allowed him to ride on one of the feral horses carrying the goods.

The path was a dark one, definitely not suited for carts, going around trees rather than through them. It did it's job, allowing the small village to send 3 horses loaded with goods to trade with Demar twice a month

With a mix of excitement of seeing the town and fear of the dark forest, JJ yelled: "daaaad, how far is it?" less than 15min into the journey

"Relax, son, the journey has only just started" replied his dad, a relatively buff fox, leading the horses through the forest on foot.

After a few more minutes of nagging his dad, JJ accepted that this wasn't gonna be a quick journey, so instead of nagging, he started looking at the forest. It was really a very dark forest, but the few beams of light penetrating the roof actually made it quite beautiful

JJ suddenly realised how glad he was that he was sitting on a horse instead of walking. He just imagined himself getting lost in the forest. Then he had to admire his father, who easily found his way around the trees and on the slightly used path. JJ often saw other areas on the floor which looked like it could've been the path as well, but his dad didn't look twice to know the right path

Before he knew it, the forest started getting less dense, and in the distance, JJ saw the walls of Demar. Big stone walls about five meters high, going around the city. Poking through the middle was a tower, going up a good fifty meters. JJ couldn't take his eyes off of it through the rest of the journey to the gates of the town.

"Wizards tower" his dad told him. "Built more than a hundred years ago, when the lands were taken by the Laurin empire."

"But dad, why is it so tall?"

" It doesn't have to be, my boy. Wizards just love showing off"

They giggled about this on their way through the gates. The town was really huge as compared to the village. It seems like the buildings are sorted according to how close to the centre they were. On the outside, small, wooden buildings, getting bigger until the wood is replaced by stone, which grows bigger still and gains until it reaches the tower in the middle.

They continued through crowds of people towards the centre, stopping at a single story stone building, a sign outside indicating an alchemy shop.

"Well, this is our stop. Joe's alchemy. Best potions and poisons in all of Demar, and it's all thanks to our villages water"

JJ got off the horse and started walking towards the shop. The passage into the shop was covered by a green curtian. The inside of the shop was lit by green lights, and soft flute music could be heard playing. JJ looked for a flute player, but couldn't find one. Behind a counter, a wolf stood up and started yelling at JJ.

"Get out, you damn cubs! There's nothing in here for you, you hear?"

JJ wasn't sure what was what, but when his dad came in, the problem solved itself

"Dennis! You came not a day late" sayd the tall brown wolf to JJ's dad

"Low on supplies already?" Responded Dennis

"Yeah, well, since I've been making fuel, I just couldn't keep up. This "electricity" trend is really good for business. "A lesser form of magic", some people are calling it. Lemme tell you, the magic I've seen... A simple record player and a few lights don't come close"

He's moved out from behind the counter by now to greet Dennis

"I hear you, man. But sadly, people will have to use torches a bit longer. sacrificed some space so I could bring my sun along" he said, gesturing at JJ. "But I asume you've already met"

"Oh, are you Dennis's boy? Sorry for being so rude, but recently cubs have just been making such a mess of my shop, chasing others away"

"It's fine, sir" JJ replied, still not completely sure what was going on

"Mind babysitting while I go do some shopping? " asked Dennis

"No problem. I'll go get Dasc quick"

The shopkeeper went to one of the back rooms and returned with a younger wolf, looking about JJ's age

"JJ, meet Dasc. Dasc, JJ..."

JJ opened his eyes once again, the blood from his wound starting to dry around him. He pressed his staff against the ground, trying to get up, muttering: "Dasc", before slipping into unconsciousness again...

------------ end ---------------

Please let me know what you guys think. Again, really lazy with names
Mew?
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Re: JJ's crappy writings

Post by Leeward »

From a purely non-editorial point of view (i.e. ignoring spelling, grammar, phrasing, etc) I think this is pretty good so far. You've set the scene and overall geography, there are hints of a rich backstory yet untold, and genuine reactions from characters that are already fairly defined just from these short two chapters. I would make the passage from flashback to present more obvious, and maybe separate the timeline differently (for example, starting with the opening paragraph, then flashback to the Kai and Alex scene, then back to present, then flashback to trip to town, then back to present), but that's up to you. If you want the editorial critique as well, let me know.
jacojerb

Post by jacojerb »

Thanks Leeward.

reading it again... It isn't perfect. But I need practice. So this story won't win me any awards, but I might as well finish it

Just for in case anyone cares, I'll upload the chapters on sofurry when they're done. I can't write too often, sadly other stuff have been keeping me busy, but I will try and finish this
Mew?
CourteousCastellan

Post by CourteousCastellan »

I agree with Leeward that you might want to make the jumps from the flashbacks to the present a little clearer. Mainly that last one. I was a bit confused when I read it first; I thought that Dasc had just murdered JJ on the spot. That shopkeeper must feel pretty guilty. :lol:

I've noticed that in other stories that use the starting-from-the-end-and-then-using-flashbacks literary device, they always tend to wait until much much later before coming back to the starting scene. Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with frequent return trips like you've used, but I just thought I'd mention it. I've always liked the flashback device; I find that it gives a reflective and contemplative tone to the text, personally.

Are the characters meant to be you and Dasc-crescent? If those names are just place holders and the characters have no relation to you two whatsoever, then you should probably use different place holders. Otherwise, ignore this paragraph.

On another note, I've always liked settings where magic is starting to give way to technology. I've recently been reading a book that was written before electricity became commonplace, and it's funny to see the characters treating electricity like some kind of fancy new wizardry that will never catch on. The part with the shopkeeper reminded me of that.
jacojerb

Post by jacojerb »

I'm actually quite lazy with names and characters. Most of the characters in the story are based off of people I know. It's not cheating xD

Mmmmmm... thinking about it, I have used a lot of old concepts. I guess it's fine, though. I'm still getting to the real story
Mew?