My new random Furry story thing - Canyon Lights

Have a flair for poetry, stories, or even write songs? Need some advice or looking for a beta-reader? This is the place for you!

Moderator: Erdwolf_TVL

Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian
Region: Other

My new random Furry story thing - Canyon Lights

Post by Raven Song »

i know i have another one, but i got tired of it... so heres another in progress story... i dont care for grammar or spelling... its more or less how it should be...

and so ya...

Chapter 1

I hadn’t meant to hurt those people in the city. I guess I never knew my own strength. The courts were afraid of what I’d do if I was sent to prison, unsure of how my “condition” would affect the other inmates nor how I’d react to the confined spaces, considering what I’d done to that police van. So instead they’d packed me into my car, loaded it with food and the basics and sent me up Province. Somewhere near to the Kruger, to this little resort where I could have a private chalet, on the hill, away from mankind. Here I was content. I moved in on the Friday, and had settled well over Saturday. the deal was I would get two weeks living there, then would drive back to the city for one night to do grocery shopping and anything else I might need. Fortunately my family was living overseas and so had no worry about visiting them, and I’d pretty much destroyed any relationship I might have had with any human in the city. My chalet was a sweet, single bedroom house, with a bathroom and separate toilet. The kitchen and dining areas were quaint and the lounge area held the TV which became my only contact with the outside world. I had set up my laptop on the dining room table, and began drawing using my tablet. this was my life now. I looked out my front door to where my bantam was parked. The world was hushed around me, the only noises that of the crickets chirping as the sun began setting around them. I wondered whether there were others like me, out there in the world. Probably. I had to make the most of this new challenge, and so I began planning my life. Strict timetables, rules on food and how to live. I began planning it all, ensuring that if I had a human interaction, it would be at a moment in which my mind and soul were calm and incapable of irrational thought. I decided I would visit Pilgrims Rest on Monday, as it would be quiet and I could get some new furniture to turn this chalet into my new home. Life would be good for me now. I was safe from the world, the world from me.

“Good morning miss Nox, how are we today?” asked my maid, Thuli. I hated Monday, and I now had new reason to dislike them. Mondays were my room cleaning day, roomservice would come in, blitz the house and leave. it meant they had to start at 8, which was far to early for me. I tried to hide under the covers again, but Thuli whipped them off of me. “Come now, even dogs need a good bath and freshen up.” she said. I half smiled at her as I crawled from the bed. The management had chosen Thuli as my maid as she was unafraid of the unique and scary things of this world, with her father being a witchdoctor and all. I ruffled my hair into some form of style and crawled into the shower. the water was warm as it ran over me, and I felt relieved that the day hadn’t woken with screaming for once. Thuli had put the kettle on and I made us both tea while she changed my sheets and vacuumed my floor. Since my “incident”, I had lost all my inhibitions and strode comfortably around in relative nudity. Thuli tossed my shorts, a bra and a shirt over at me. “Put these on you silly bugger, and hide that thing away. you need to go for a jog.” she said.
“Why?” I asked, scratching my ear. Thuli was determined that I would keep shape and good health, whilst I had contemplated slipping into a food induced coma. I slid the shorts on, squeezing in a little towards the end. the shirt was loose and baggy, and the breeze blowing through the front door was welcome and refreshing. “here’s your water, now put this cap on and down to the circle you go” Thuli said to me, as I squished the cap on. The morning sun was bright as I ran down the drive, headed for the main complex of chalets. It was spring and the canyon was erupting in a burst of green and the sounds of joyful birds and insects filled the air. I rounded the corner, sipping from my water as I ran, down the hill towards the circle. I waved at the diners as I passed the restaurant, and they in turn waved back. Life was good here, and I felt more alive than ever before. it was quiet as I entered the circle, the trees rustling in the soft breeze. a car was parked near the pathway entrance, its owners still inside. The driver stepped out the car as I approached, smiling eerily at me. It was Mr Cavendish, the owner of the resort. His companion stepped out too, a young named Barnes. Barnes desperately wanted the property to himself, to run and earn millions from, but Cavendish had ensured that his reign as owner would not die anytime soon.
“How goes our new friend this morning?” he asked, grasping my hand firmly and shaking it hard. I slid my cap off of my head and ran my hand through my thick hair, sweat sprinkling from the ends. I noticed Barnes staring and couldn’t help but chuckle. “Mr Cavendish, have you ever seen the face of a man who has seen his first Were before?” I asked, as I brushed my long luxurious tail under his nose. Barnes blushed and averted his eyes as Cavendish laughed and slapped the young man firmly across the back.
“Come now boy, you work with a Dracule, how can you find a Were odd?” he said, his silver hair glistening in the morning sun. I smiled at the man, who half returned it. My ears pricked as I heard the car coming down the drive. “Well I’m off mates, got to get back and ready to go into town.” I said sliding my ears under my cap again and forcing my poor tail back into my body, a slightly painful process but not an unbearable one. Barnes and Cavendish slid back into their car, just as the family of three arrived for a hike in the morning sun. I smiled and waved at them as I set off jogging, back up the steep hill towards the main resort once more. Thuli was gone by the time I had returned; all that remained was a note, which read ‘Get yourself some of your own sheets etc. and maybe a picture frame or two. This is home now, make it as such. I ate one of your donuts.’ I smiled as I ran the shower again, planning the day. I grabbed a donut and stepped out once more, locking the house behind me. My car was clean and sat waiting, and I turned the radio up as I reversed out. The resort was pretty empty as I drove out and onto the main road, heading for Pilgrims Rest. The drive was long, about an hour, and enjoyable, so I listened to some of my bad dance tracks and looked around at the scenery. the difference between the plains and the hills fascinated me, as I neared the town and the tree cover became more prominent. The little village was quiet, and I pulled into the parking area. There was a small General Dealers store, and I slid inside to see what I could get. everything was expensive, but on my allowance from the state, I would be just fine. I looked through the store and chose out a few nice sheets and duvets, and a frame or two to liven up the house. I was looking at the dinner plate sets when I overheard the women at the counter talking.
“I heard they would be living here for several months, filming and all.” said the shorter of the two, reading from a magazine. her friend snatched the page from her, and left a small tear in the book. “They’re doing some historic thing and need the town to themselves, damn Hollywood types.” said the latter, who muttered something under her breathe about ruined daisies. The short one sighed and continued her story “Yes but at least they bring in money. And I heard they’d all be staying over at the resort.” she said, cutting herself short as I slid in front of them. “Morning ladies.” I said, placing my items on the countertop. the taller of the two rang them up for me, as her friend slid around the counter. “Are you Mr Cavendish’s friend?” she asked me, eyeing me suspiciously as she walked around me. I smiled at her as she returned to my side. “Yes, I’m living at the resort now.” I said, handing them my card. She narrowed her eyes at me and smiled. “So howcome you’re trying to hide your ears and tail?” she said. Her friend looked up at me, a slight look of shock on her face. “You’re the Were then?” she said, handing me back my card. I stepped back, unsure of how to take this. I had thought I would be kept a secret.
“Mr Cavendish told a select few of us, so we could protect you. In our stores you are more than welcome to be yourself. That’s us, the pub on the corner, the garage and the tobacco store. We have no need to fear you, some of us are special too.” she said, her canines extending and her skin paling. I laughed as relief slid over me, my mind returning to happy thoughts, as opposed to those with pitchforks and fire. “You had me worried for a moment.” I said, as I picked up my bag. “Mrs Maguire sweetheart, this is my sister, you can call her Mrs Peach.” said the shorter one. Mrs Peach smiled at me and handed me a sucker. “I feel so welcome around here, my maid is friendly, my house is awesome and now, I have small portion of a small portion of a town I can actually be myself in!” I said ecstatically. Mrs Maguire smiled back and passing my bag to me. I laughed all the way out the store, the sunlight hitting me and warming my body. I was finally in a place I could call home, and I was happy. The whole ride home I sang out of my window, as loud as I could, my ears flapping in the breeze. I turned into the resort and waved at the security. The drive up to my place took me past the pools, and though the resort was nearly empty, the few people staying there had settled themselves into its blue waters. I drove passed the happy families, and felt a small pang at my heart, missing both those I’d loved and known in the city. I pulled into my parking, grabbing my bag and opening the house. I grabbed a cola from the fridge and went to sit outside. as I was the only one living in the luxury chalet area, I took off my hat and let my ears relax. the sound of a baboon troop filled the air as they crossed the road. I smiled at the leader, who watched me warely. one of the youngsters, curious as they are, bounced over and began playing with my tail, his mother looking at me, concerned. I smiled and handed him a bite of my apple.
“Run along little one.” I cooed, my voice deep and purr like, no longer a clear English. the baby took it gratefully and bounced onto his mother. She nodded at me as the troop moved on. This is the life, I thought to myself, as I lay back in my chair, relaxing. It was a few hours before I realised I’d fallen asleep out there, and the sunlight was beginning to fade. I stepped into my kitchen and opened the cupboards. A box of lasagne fell out, and I lifted it onto the counter. A knock on the door drew my attention away from the food, and I hastily pulled a beanie over my head and slid my tail away. “Hello.” I said, opening the door slightly. A suit stood in front of me, his shades darker than the night sky. His hair was slicked back and his baby blue shirt pressed perfectly. He screamed executive from every pore, and I smelt the cheap cologne heavily dabbed across his body.
“I’m Parker, the film executive. I just came to warn you that from this Friday you will be under strict guard. We have some high profile Hollywood Celebrities coming through, and they will be here for around six months, filming up at Pilgrims Rest and other historical places. They will be sharing this chalet compound with you.” he said, barely pausing for breath. I crinkled my nose at the smell of his cologne and narrowed my eyes at him. “So I get a guard why?” I asked, opening the door to stand at my full human height. I came to just above his headline, and he shrunk back slightly. “To protect them from you. I was warned that you are not to be allowed in highly stressful situations, and a film set and production area is very high stress.” I smiled at him, my large canines showing slightly. “I’ll be fine Parker, relax. You’ll barely know I exist.” I said, as I closed the door on him. I heard a few protests from him, but couldn’t be bothered to respond. My mind wondered as to whom would be joining me in this paradise.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Durosuka
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Liger
Region: Gauteng

Re: My new random Furry story thing - Canyon Lights

Post by Durosuka »

I think its very well writen. Very well done punk. Better grammer than what I get out of my stories thats for sure
Time to change
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

hahaha thanks Durosuka :D
Faanvolla
Plaas Brak
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Dog (Vampire)
Region: Western Cape

Post by Faanvolla »

Love the story Punk!
Its awesome!
And I too think it was well written.

Are there more Chapters coming in the near / far (where~ever you are) future?
Seize the day, not your bearings.
Steam, Rockstar SocialClub, Uplay, Battlenet: Faanvolla#2539, Telegram: @Faanvolla
Switch Code: SW-0054-4917-1029
DeviantArt,Furaffinity,SoFurry, Weasyl, FurryNetwork
ProfilePic by hanimetion
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

Chapter 2

I woke on Thursday morning as I did every morning. At ten o’clock. I slid off of my bed, the duvet falling on top of me, and stretched out as far as I could. The floor was warm where the sun had light it, and I was tempted to continue lying there as long as I could. The sounds of construction and voices shouting outside disturbed these thoughts and I clambered up off of the soft carpet. I slid on my Linkin Park shirt and a pair of shorts and hid my ears once more. The sun was bright and burned down on the canyon. cars streamed past, towing caravans and equipment. The noise was loud and my head pounded as people set up homes, tents and other structures. I saw Parker directing people around and growled a low growl in my throat. Friday my ass, I thought as I walked over to him.
“So this is your idea of Friday hey?” I said, tapping him on the shoulder. He turned around to face me, a shocked expression on his youthful face. I felt a hand on my shoulder, squeezing tightly. “This is Jackson; he’s your new guard. He’ll ensure you don’t disturb us.” Parker said with a smile as Jackson began pulling me backwards. I felt anger surge through my body, the blood pumping and my core temperature rising. I grabbed Jacksons hand and begun crushing it, the rage welling up in my eyes. “Nova!” came a stern shout from behind me, as my breathing quickened and I felt my body change. I spun my head around to find the source of the shout. It was Mr Cavendish. He stood beside Parker, his arms folded across his chest. I began relaxing my grip, and felt my body calm. “Sorry, sir.” I said, releasing Jacksons hand. He stood, shaking it, his eyes tearing in pain. “Mr Jackson, if you could refrain from touching miss Nova, and Mr Parker, of you could refrain from being an ass to my most important client, I’d much appreciate it.” said Mr Cavendish, as he put his jacket around my shoulders, helping to calm me.
“Sorry Jackson, I didn’t mean it.” I said, as I walked past him. He nodded and followed us to my house. Inside, Mr Cavendish made me tea and I bandaged Jackson’s hand. “Mr Jackson, you were chosen as Miss Nova’s guard because of your family’s history with ‘Dark Magic’.” said Mr Cavendish, as he handed me my tea. I sipped thirstily from the mug, not looking up at the two men. Jackson looked at Mr Cavendish with a curious look, as he took a sip from his mug. Mr Cavendish looked over at me, and I reluctantly removed my Beanie. My ears flicked as they picked up the sounds from outside, and i stood to show him my tail. “Full form please Ms Nova.” said Mr Cavendish, not looking up at me. I sighed, moving the table out of the way. Transforming is never very comfortable, and I hesitated for a moment. my legs began first, the hair growing rapidly, my foot bones elongating. I felt the first twang of tendons and muscles, as my legs lengthened and my skin and bones stretched. The pain is more uncomfortable than real pain, but none less one cannot help but shout out in agony. The worst part is when my torso changes. I can feel my innards squelch and shift, and the uneasy feeling as body parts rearrange. My arms lengthened and my fingers and hands spread into paws. My jaw began spreading out, away from face and soon my transformation was complete. Jackson sat in silence as I stretched up in full wolf form, my head scraping the roof. I let out a low growl as my body settled and I could breathe again. “Good miss Nova, thank you for that.” said Mr Cavendish, as he patted my head on his way to the kitchen. I watched Jackson as he walked around me, my breathing heavy and warm. I listened to the sounds of outside, as well as his heavy footsteps as he rounded me. “Such a fascinating creature.” he finally said, as he brushed my silken back. “Is she, full wolf?” he asked, peering into my eyes. I shook my head, unable to clearly speak. “Rox.” I tried to growl out, the words barely forming past my canine lips. I’d skipped my anthro form all together and was regretting it, as I was unabe to communicate with humans whilst in Lycanthrope form. Mr Cavendish nodded to me and I began changing back. it was just as uncomfortable, and soon I lay in an exhausted pile on the floor, my top ripped and my pants nowhere to be seen. Jackson lay a towel over me as I stood up, shaking.
“I’m part fox, hence the ginger hair.” I said, as I staggered towards my room. Jackson sat down again with Mr Cavendish. I searched for clothing I’d find comfortable, realising I needed some more shorts. I quickly slid on some old jeans I’d grabbed before I left home and I loose vest and joined the others in the lounge. “So that’s why she was sent here, to be away from anything that might cause her to, change.” said Jackson, as he sipped form his tea. I could see he was shaking, as the tea bounced in his mug. “Yeah, its calm out here, and I have plenty of things to talk to, what with all the animals in the area.” I said, scoffing down a donut. Mr Cavendish stood up to leave. “I’ll leave you two get better acquainted.” he said, opening the door. “Nova, play nice” he said, as he left. I looked at Jackson, who looked pale and uncomfortable. “Sorry about that. You don’t have to stay if you don’t want.” I said, picking my torn clothes from the floor. “I go through so many nice clothes that way.” I said, attempting to ease the tension. Jackson smiled half-heartedly and sipped from his mug, not paying attention to its lack of liquid. I stood leaning on the dining room chair for a while, pondering what else to say to the large man. Jackson eventually stood up, his face expressionless. “I know why I was chosen to guard you; it just seems so surreal to finally meet a real, supernatural I suppose. But anyway, in reality your just a kind of hairy girl, aren’t you?” he said, half smiling, his large chest bouncing with a small chuckle. I smiled back, my ears perking up.
“That sounds about right.” I said, shaking his hand. I could sense there was still some apprehension in the air, but I wasn’t going to question this new found friendliness. “So tomorrow the real stars arrive, they’ll be in those four chalets there. I’ll basically just hang around to ensure you don’t attack them, steal them, eat them or attempt to use them for world domination. Also, I’ll make you breakfast and come with you on your jogs, in the car of course.” He said. I smiled and nodded. “World domination only comes on the third date anyway.” I said as he walked back towards his caravan marked security. Parker was standing nearby, checking on a clipboard and barking orders. “So you two made up. Good to hear it.” he said, as I looked in his direction. “Yeah, we understand each other now.” I said as I turned back to my place. I punched the punching bag which hung above my car and closed the door. I didn’t trust that man, but who was I to judge. Tomorrow would be a new day.

I heard the sirens as they entered the main gate. They would be upon us in five minutes. I refused to move my bones this morning; it was still kind of dark out. I heard Jackson in the kitchen. The smell of egg filled the room and my nose couldn’t help but follow it. Groggy and tired I stumbled into the kitchen. “Morning Ma’am.” said the large man, as he handed me a plate. The eggs were perfect and the bacon crispy, and I couldn’t help but dive in.
“Not before grace miss.” he said, unfaltering in his words. I stopped and bowed my head. He joined me at the table and together we prayed. “Father, we thank thee for the night, and for the pleasant morning light. For rest and food and loving care, and all that makes the day so fair. Help is to do the thing we should, to be to other kind and good. I all we do, in all we say, to grow more loving every day.” Jackson smiled as we began eating. I’d noticed the rosary around his neck, but hadn’t thought much of it.
“So, you’re catholic?” I asked. He smiled again and continued eating. when he was done he put my plate away and began preparing my jogging mix.
“My mom was a choir leader, my father, a minister. He performed, exorcisms, when I was younger. I figured the more I prayed, the safer I’d be. Now it just seems disrespectful not to. And I like to think I can get a bit of discipline into you.” he said, handing me my water. I was still in my pj’s, so I quickly pulled on some joggers and a tank top. I slid my cap on and put my music in my ears. Jackson was in his car, the engine going. Outside, I saw people walking between cars and the chalets.
“So they’re here?” I asked as I began jogging next to Jackson. He nodded, and we continued on. It was still dark out by the time we reached the circle. I paused, taking off my cap and pouring water down my hair. I needed a haircut, I was beginning to look like a girl again, I mean apart from my boobs. Jackson sat in his car, reading his newspaper. I figured now would be as good a time as any to test him and see how good he was, so I quickly stripped down and dumped my clothes in his car. in a flash I was off, running through the trees. I quickly transformed, becoming my lycan self. I heard him shout, and then the squeal of wheels, but I was ahead. All I needed to do was scale the cliff, and I would be by our chalets. I leapt onto the first rock, a large boulder. I was unfit for this, having not done it in years. But I began my climb none the less, leaping between rocks and trees. Several trees grew from the mountain side, and I used them as leverage for my more powerful jumps. I felt the warmth of blood running down my shoulder and new I’d cut myself, but I didn’t care. I felt alive. I was no longer heading for the chalets; I was aimed at the cliff face World’s End. I climbed, and though I could feel myself tiring, the final leap left me atop the pinnacle at the cliff top. I stood in the morning light, as the first rays of the sun hit my fur, warming me. I quickly changed to anthro, standing on the edge and let out the howl I’d been keeping forever. I knew I’d given away my position to Jackson but I didn’t care. Slowly I walked towards the car park, changing back into my human form. I sat on the bench, breathing deeply, calming myself and listening to the screeching of wheels. it was Jacksons car, I recognised the sound. he pulled in front of me and threw my clothes at me. “Get in the god damned car.” he shouted, and I quickly listened. I knew I was in trouble, but I didn’t care. For the first time in a year I was a full fledge Were-beast again, and I’d enjoyed every second of it. We sat in silence as Jackson drove me back to my chalet. The buzz hadn’t died down, and he slipped me into my house, avoiding being seen. “You stupid little bitch.” he shouted, throwing me onto my couch. I smiled, the adrenaline still rushing through my body. His every word buzzed through my head, and I couldn’t see or hear him clearly. I was in ecstasy, and was the happiest being alive. I did notice he’d gone silent and was watching me.
“What?” I asked, looking up at him. “You really enjoyed that, didn’t you?” he said. I nodded, blushing slightly and walking to my bathroom. I ran a shower, and hummed a happy song. Jackson stood in the doorway. “Jackson it’s not that I mind you staring at my naked body, but could you try smile less when you do?” Jackson laughed and made his way to the kitchen. I dried my hair with a towel and pulled on a loose tank top, slipping my feet into sandals. “I suppose I forgot you are just a slightly sophisticated version of a wild animal.” he said finally. I smiled at him. “No, I’m not. I’m still completely wild. I just learned to stand up like humans did.” I said, taking a cola from the fridge. A knock from outside made me rush to my bedroom, looking for a hat. I had a tendency to leave them lying around, but fortunately Jackson was smart and tossed his security hat my way. I shoved my ears underneath it and walked casually to the door.
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

Chapter 3

“How can I help ya..a..a…a..a” I stammered as I was met by a pair of well tanned legs. Further up the legs came the flattest midriff I’d ever seen, framed between a pair of hot shorts and a cut off tee. a golden smile looked over at me as I rehanged my jaw in place. “I couldn’t help but notice you arrive and came to say hello.” said the smoothest voice I’d ever heard. I moved out the way as she walked in, Jackson smiling at her.
“Morning miss Ledger.” said Jackson, as he put the kettle on to boil. I turned around, still stunned by what had entered my house. Jackson patted me on the back, forcing me to breath in. I slid my way around the room, and parked in one of my dining room chairs. “Nice little place you have here.” she said, looking at a picture of myself and my friends about to go bridge swinging. I smiled uneasily. “So what do you do for a living?” she asked, looking up at me. her face was soft and petit, her skin smooth and youthful. she could only have been a year or two my junior, but she held an air about her which made her feel older, wiser.
“I’m an artist miss.” I finally coughed out, forcing me to sip from my cola. my tounge ring lodged itself neatly in the can, and I awkwardly ripped the top off. Jackson noticed my shoulder and now my hand and quickly ran to the bathroom for some first aid. “God Dammit!” I shouted, as my tongue began bleeding as well. “I hate fucking Friday’s.” I shouted tossing the can into the sink. my hand pounded as I ran it under some water. she was standing in the opening between the kitchen and the dining area. I looked up at her, her expression playful and curious. “Miss, do you mind coming back later, I’m a bit of a wreck right now.” I said, looking down at the wound which refused to stop bleeding. my tongue had stopped pouring, and I felt a pressure on my back. “Thanks Jackson.” I said. I realised it wasn’t him when I smelt the rose petal perfume.
“He’s gone down to the store to get you some bandages, but I’ll help.” she said, as she applied more pressure to my shoulder. We stood in silence for a few minutes, the cold water running over my hand. “So what kind of art do you do?” she asked finally as I walked to my couch. I sat in silence, fumbling with the skin on my hand. I felt my heart rush as I handed her my tablet, and she scrolled through my artwork.
“Impressive.” she said finally, placing the little machine on the table top. I was feeling a little light headed, as she began rubbing my shoulder again. My stomach did somersault after somersault, each time she touched me. Jackson burst through the door; I suppose expecting to find me gorging myself on her innards. “Hey man, tell me you got some drugs.” I said, smiling up at him. He opened my mouth and shoved some strange little pills inside and some water. I swallowed them gratefully and let him take my hand. He pulled out the needles and thread and began sowing it up. I felt nothing, as the skin on my hands was thick and well padded. Miss Ledger on the other hand thought this was a really bad idea and passed out on my behalf. we sat there, in my lounge, for half an hour while Jackson sowed me together again, her laying across my lap.
“I enjoy this Jackson.” I said finally, the pain pills wearing off and my head clearing a little. he smiled at me as he finished up my shoulder. “I can see that miss. She does too, but she wont admit it.” he said, putting the items away and pulling out the mop. finally Miss Ledger woke, stretching out on the couch. I was asleep by then, my tongue lolling out my mouth the way a dogs would, and Jackson said he let her out. I was awake enough to feel the gentle warmth of her breath on my cheek as she kissed me goodbye. I won’t wash that cheek for a while.

The film crews were noisy as they left in the morning. I was still sore and didn’t want to get out of bed. I noticed I’d bled a little during the night, so got up to change the sheets. Jackson was asleep on the couch, the morning news playing in the background. I poured some Frosted Flakes into a bowl and drowned them in milk. Jackson woke with a start when I sat down next to him. “Morning ma’am.” he said, stretching out and yawning. “Morning J.” I responded, flicking through the channels and sipping on my cereal. There was little to watch on the television, as is usual for a Saturday morning. My shoulder still hurt and my hand was pulsating with pain, but I didn’t much care for that.
“Can we maybe find a doctor or some painkillers?” I asked, in an attempt to get out of the house. I hadn’t drawn anything in weeks and wanted my hand healed as soon as I could so I could get back to my one true passion. I grabbed my laptop and opened my art folder. I wanted to check what my last piece was and Jackson had been begging me to show him. I opened the file and a few pieces began slide showing across the screen. I chuckled as my less that savoury work came up and I swear Jackson blushed. My laptop was playing some random music from a Japanese pop station and we sat watching my art work scroll.
“You have real skill miss, you should sell your pieces.” he said, as he got up to make tea. I sighed and closed the machine. “It won’t happen Jackson. No one cares for my kind of art, and how am I supposed to sell anything when I’m not allowed an internet connection.” I said, sipping on the last bits of milk in the bowl. “We should go to Graskop and get you some more clothes and some supplies.” he said, handing me my mug. I had wanted to get some paints and canvas, and some new clothes and maybe even a fish and a tank or something. Mr Cavendish had said I was allowed any pet I wanted so long as it was no bigger than my hand. I got dressed into some casual clothes and we grabbed the car keys. with my hand Jackson had decided it would be better if he drove us. I put in my latest Bump CD and we left. the town was just under a quarter of an hour away, but the air was thick as we neared it, the mist and fog settling on the tall hilltops nearby. We drove through some forested areas and I felt my primal urge to run through the trees. Jackson must have noticed it as he put a hand on my shoulder. The tall tress surrounded us as we moved through the hills, a stillness in the air around us. The little town soon lay before us, and I perked up once we entered the slow streets. It was quiet and Jackson quickly found the Spar. I jumped out the car and ran inside, grabbing us a trolley.
“Nothing brings out the kid in you faster than shopping?” he said with a smile. I smiled back and we moved through the shop. I wanted some popcorn and I quickly found the snacks isle. Jackson had disappeared and I began wondering through the store in search of him. “So this one is okay for fresh water fish right?” he said, picking up a pump in the pets isle. I bounded over to him, looking at the item in his hand.
“What’s that for?” I asked inquisitively, looking at the items in front of him. “If I get you a small tank, and some stuff for in it, can you catch a fish to put into it?” he said, looking at the assistant. I nodded enthusiastically, even though I didn’t know a thing about fishing. “That settles it then.” We paid up and quickly ran into the clothing store. I chose out five new outfits and some new shoes, and we left Graskop feeling refreshed and happy. on the way out we stopped at a petrol station and filled up. I grabbed us some cokes and thanked the attendants. “I know you have a lot of money miss, but do you have to tip everyone with fifty rand notes?” asked Jackson as we pulled out onto the main road. I smiled at him and sipped thirstily from my bottle. the resort was quiet now that the film crews were off for the day, doing whatever it was they do in Pilgrims Rest. I emptied out the bags and began setting up the tank.
“So if I can catch a fish, I can put it in here?” I asked, looking at the somewhat small tank. Jackson nodded and lay down on the couch. “I’m going to nap. why don’t you go down to the river and try catching something?” he said. I thanked him and grabbed a bucket from the kitchen to put my fish in. the forest was quiet as I entered the pathway. the only path that led me to the river was the Guinea-Fowl trail, which was being used by some hikers. I quickly left the path and removed my hat and let my tail out. I’d never tried fishing with my hands before, though it sounded like fun. I walked into the water, the river cool and calm around me. the birds sang in the trees above me and I could see several fish in the rocks around me. I had no idea what I was doing so I simply plunged my hands into the cold water. I brought up a large fish with brownish scales. it was just larger than my hands and I was pretty impressed that I’d managed to capture it. I placed it in my bucket and filled the item with water. Before I could return to the water the fish had leaped out of the bucket. “Son of a.” I began, but it leaped back into the bucket once more.
“What the hells” I said, looking down at the little fish. I knew I could sort of communicate with animals, but I never knew to what extent. I walked with my fish up the drive towards my place and he swam in circles around the bucket. He was a good looking thing, for a fish I mean. And he had an air of happiness around him. I opened my front door and Jackson was asleep.
“Maybe I should call you Socrates” I said, placing the bucket into the water of the tank. the fish swam to edge and looked up at me. I smiled down at him and tickled his head with my finger. I swear he smiled back. The fridge squealed as I opened the door, pulling out some meat for a braai. the fire light up easy as I poured some coals on it and let it burn. some cars came up the drive, the first few crew members returning from the mornings shoot. my baboon friends sat watching them, the youngster from a few days back sitting on the back of my chair. I handed him a chip from the bowl whilst I ate one. “I don’t understand humans.” I said, as we snacked together. His troop had moved on down the hill, but he sat with me for a while.
“How can they find entertainment in such things as lies?” I said, as I dipped my hand into the bowl again. He grunted and jumped off the chair, trotting after his family. I breathed in the afternoon air and placed the meat on the fire. Jackson and I enjoyed a good meal that evening, thinking of all the good things that were to come.