What are you reading RIGHT NOW? (Apart from this post)

Have a flair for poetry, stories, or even write songs? Need some advice or looking for a beta-reader? This is the place for you!

Moderator: Erdwolf_TVL

Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Necrobat

Re: What are you reading RIGHT NOW? (Apart from this post)

Post by Contrast »

Kumika no Mikaku, by Ononoka Akihiro. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kumika-no-Mi ... ?id=348162
Summary wrote: Aliens have become common on Earth. Kumika is one such alien who can get nutrition just by breathing and therefore does not need to eat, but from unexpected circumstance she takes a bite of Earth food and has her first experience of delicious Earth food. The uptight Kumika discovers new tastes through eating and awakens to new kinds of emotions.

A cooking, slice-of-life, sci-fi, romantic comedy manga? That might be the weirdest mish-mash of genres I've seen in quite a while, but somehow it just works.

Kumika is an alien who can survive on nothing but air. As such, she has no need to spend money on expensive food or drink, which is super convenient. This has turned her into a bit of an antisocial pariah who constantly refuses her coworkers' invitations to hang out after work, but that's fine. She doesn't need food, so why would she need friends? She's perfectly happy being all alone, an emotionless workaholic, drudging through the days...

She is about to discover, though, that Earth is a very strange place, and that these "Humans" have a way of crawling into your heart when you least expect it...
Read my novel on: SoFurry | Fur Affinity | Deviant Art
Splicer-Fox
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Fox fennec springbok thing
Region: Gauteng

Post by Splicer-Fox »

Burn It Allll!!!!
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

First of all, those guys are judgmental af, and second, T-REX na Kanojo is innocent! It is one of the most vanilla, sugary sweet slice-of-life stories out there! So what if they're dinosaurs? It makes for some interesting moments that you'd never be able to find in other manga where all the characters are strictly human.

How can you say this is morally reprehensible!? Churio is cute as a button, dammit!! >.<
Attachments
1823ee196477c477e0d5a0eddecfc2120fc90065_hq.jpg
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

Aharen-san wa Hakerenai, by Mizu Asato. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Aharen-san-w ... ?id=365567
Summary wrote: From the author of Denkigai no Honya-san and Dansai Joshi comes a short-length comedy about Raidou and his seatmate Aharen-san, who has problems determining how chummy she has to be when approaching other people. Get up close and personal with the small, quiet but unfathomable girl, Aharen-san!
003_1494297763.jpg
Aharen-san is a tiny girl who has trouble making friends because she's very bad at determining personal space. Not only that, she has a very soft voice, so it's difficult for her to communicate with others.

Raidou is a very thoughtful, considerate boy, but his massively overactive imagination leads him to blow even the most trivial things way out of proportion in his head.

What happens when you take these two characters and put them together? You get the most adorable, heartwarming slice-of-life manga ever. Perfect for those who crave a generous helping of warm fuzzies in bite-sized chunks. :3
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

"Nicola no Oyururi Makai Kikou" by Miyanaga Asaya. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Nicola-no-Oy ... ?id=368310

I guess this technically counts as an isekai, but it really doesn't read like one. It's about Nicola, a young witch with the ability to conjure flowers, and her peddler friend, Simon. Together, they travel through the Netherworld, going from city to city to sell their wares. There's only one problem. Although Nicola is a witch, she's still human, which is illegal under the laws of the realm.

There are only five chapters out so far, but it's doing a great job of creating a very interesting world, filled with all kinds of fantastical races, animals, plants and monsters.
Attachments
205670l.jpg
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

"Candy and Cigarettes" by Inoue Tomonori. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Candy--amp-- ... ?id=403376
001.jpg
This one is kinda messed up.

Hiraga Raizou is a 65-year-old ex-police officer who desperately needs a lot of money in order to pay the medical bills for his terminally ill grandson. But how can a retired sexagenarian earn a million yen per month? By becoming a cleaner for a gang of government sanctioned assassins, of course!

Here's where it gets iffy.

His partner is Suzukaze Miharu. An 11-year-old girl.

Yeah, like I said, it's kinda messed up.

It sounds kinda silly on the surface (and in many ways, it is) but it also sort of almost makes sense? In today's day and age, where people can be killed with a single pull of the trigger, you don't really need a huge amount of physical strength to be a hitman. The ability to blend in with a crowd and be as innocuous as possible is its own kind of strength, and Miharu has that in spades. Who would expect a middleschooler to suddenly pull out a gun and start shooting?

Believability aside, it's still an interesting story that reads almost like an action/crime movie. Lots of gunfights, lots of blood, lots of bad guys hitting the tarmac. Imagine John McClane as a really old dude trying to take care of another John McClane as a prepubescent girl and you'll get the idea.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

I should probably read reWritten next.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Snow Leopard

Post by Adagio »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:01 am I should probably read reWritten next.
OMG A BOOK ON THE What Are You Reading RIGHT NOW thread!!!! :o :o :o
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

I know, cray-cray. Only thing that worries me is if I don't like it. >.<
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Baz
Species: Saber tooth Cat

Post by Baz »

Cisco CCNA Cyber Ops
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

Adagio wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:55 pm OMG A BOOK ON THE What Are You Reading RIGHT NOW thread!!!! :o :o :o
Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:32 pm I know, cray-cray.
Hey, it's not my fault people hardly ever post here. :P
As for what I'm reading right now...

"Gokiburi Buster" a oneshot by none other than One, the same guy who made One Punch Man! :D
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Gokiburi-Bus ... ?id=225121
001.jpg
Because this is only a oneshot (the manga equivalent of a short story) I'm not gonna say too much about it, but what I will say is that this is a horror unlike anything I have ever read, a story that speaks directly to the primal fears within all of us. Truly a masterpiece of the genre.
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Bazzilion wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:37 pm Cisco CCNA Cyber Ops
Some light reading I see?

What does Cisco Cyper Ops do?
Baz

Post by Baz »

Adagio wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:09 pm
Bazzilion wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:37 pm Cisco CCNA Cyber Ops
Some light reading I see?

What does Cisco Cyper Ops do?
ha yea, some sections are a bit of a head scratcher at first but most of it's really fun. It covers a lot of threat vectors and how to mitigate against them, like what a SOC analyst might do day to day. The labs are really fun attacking and defending systems.
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Bazzilion wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:22 pm ha yea, some sections are a bit of a head scratcher at first but most of it's really fun. It covers a lot of threat vectors and how to mitigate against them, like what a SOC analyst might do day to day. The labs are really fun attacking and defending systems.
Thats super interisting!
So software vulnerabilities rather than hardware? But I suppose things like Meltdown and Spectre are part of it...

You doing your Cisco qualification or somethn?

I recently got my hands on a Cisco switch... Would love to learn more of the lil beast... Cause right now its just laying there.
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

Akatsuki no Yona, by Kusanagi Mizuho.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Akatsuki-no- ... ?id=283202
Summary wrote: Yona is the sole princess of the kingdom, living the luxurious and carefree life as a princess should. She has it all: the finest clothes and cosmetics, the most divine sweets, a loving emperor as a father, and the hottest cousin crush, Soo-wong, anyone could ever hope to have. Now, if only her bodyguard, Son Hak, wasn't so annoying to her and her hair wasn't so red.
But her nearly perfect world quickly shatters as the man she loves, Soo-wong, murders her father and the path to his ascension to the throne is assured. Son Hak escapes with Yona, and they lead a life on the run from that point on.
111_1.jpg
Wow. Just wooow. This is so good.

The summary did a really good job of setting up the premise so I'm just going to focus on what I love about this manga: the characters. Are you sick of the typical shounen manga that has practically zero character depth or growth? The kind of story that just putters on, maintaining the same status quo in order to retell the same old tired jokes and recycle the same old plot lines? Akatsuki No Yona is the antithesis of that.

First of all, it's not actually a shounen manga, it's a shoujo (primarily aimed at women), which means it has a more mature outlook on the relationships between characters, and that's really where this story shines. I absolutely adore the main cast of Akatsuki no Yona. They're all so different and the way they interact with each other is so beautiful, really accentuating their relationships in all sorts of ways.

You've got Yona, the naive, spoiled princess who gradually grows into something so much more when faced with the harsh realities of the real world. You've got Hak, the stoic, but well-meaning bodyguard. Shin-Ah, the quiet one with the pet squirrel. Zeno, always happy and carefree, but hiding a troubled past. Yoon, the self-proclaimed genius pretty boy who constantly gets annoyed by everyone's shenanigans, yet acts as a mother hen for the entire group. Jae-Ha, the one with the dirty sense of humour who just loves to tease. And my personal favourite, Kija, the guy who is arguably the best fighter in the entire group, the one who can practically level an entire castle with one hand, but is terrified of bugs and hates sleeping outside and is very picky about his food and aaargh they're all just so likable! x3

You'd think the story would get cluttered with so many characters all together in one group like that, but it really doesn't. All of the characters get ample opportunity to shine, and none of them ever fall by the wayside. Hell, even Shin-Ah's pet squirrel, Ao, is bursting with personality and can often be seen doing all kinds of cute, funny things in the background, peeking out from behind Yona's shoulder, stuffing bugs into her mouth (much to Kija's disgust) or offering acorns from her cheek pouches to anyone who's feeling sad or hurt.

All of the things I've said thus far only relates to how the characters pall around with each other, and doesn't even come close to everything this story has to offer. There's action, political intrigue, humour, and romance! Oh my word the romance! Yes, real romance with actual development and growth!

I simply cannot recommend this manga enough. It had me laughing and crying and everything in between. Every chapter was a joy to read.

PS: For some reason the chapters often won't load for me. I'm not sure if anyone else will have this problem, but I've found that having the main page of kissmanga open in a different tab and then refreshing them both at the same time usually fixes it. No idea why, though...

PPS: Akatsuki No Yona has an anime, too, but it only goes up to the point where the main cast gets fully assembled. I haven't watched it yet, but if it stays true to the anime it should be amazing. :)
Baz

Post by Baz »

Adagio wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:25 am Thats super interisting!
So software vulnerabilities rather than hardware? But I suppose things like Meltdown and Spectre are part of it...

You doing your Cisco qualification or somethn?

I recently got my hands on a Cisco switch... Would love to learn more of the lil beast... Cause right now its just laying there.
I guess it touches a bit of both, mostly on the network side like how packets can be crafted to probe targets and other TCP/IP exploits. The cryptography for me is a little harder to understand and how cryptoanalysis finds weaknesses in ciphers. That's a whole new level of geek that boggles my mind a bit. The maths just gives me headache or my ADD kicks in :D

I am doing the CCNA Cyber Ops which is two exams. Cisco was taking applications for a scholarship program, so I applied and was one the few to get in. So trying to make the most of the opportunity. I think I am on the last cohort then they ending the program.

Have you tried the Cisco Packet Tracer? You can do everything in a simulation environment with Cisco switches, routers and other network things. Its free too. I like it because you can follow most TCP packets through a network and it gives you cool info about what exactly what is happening step by step.
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

Groundless - Sekigan no Sogekihei, by Kagemachi Keita.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Groundless-S ... ?id=253838
Summary wrote: Civil war continues to wage on the island nation of Alistria.

The Waldrons lead a small arms shop on this island when they receive a large order of rifles from the army. However, this turns out to be a ploy by the colonel who made the order. He uses his ties to the rebel army to have them ransack the shop.

Having her husband killed, her daughter taken away and her own left eye lost, Sophia decides to take the only remaining sniper rifle and sets out for revenge.
9ed1ef48dfdef4c3e867fbdba1fcbce3_89927_thumbnail.png
Maps, dude! So many maps, all covered in scribbles outlining the strategies to be used in the upcoming battles, and I loved every single one of them! I pored over so many of those maps, tracing the arrows, muttering to myself: "Okay, the enemy is over here, here, and here, they're probably gonna come in here, BUT they might actually come in here... we're over here, the objective is over there... those buildings can be used for cover, that hill might make for a good vantage point... but what if..."

I know it's silly, but it's just so absorbing! If you love war stories full of military strategy, then you'll love this, too. Not only does it depict sniping in a relatively realistic fashion (spotting, zeroing in, compensating for wind, etc.) it also has a very human element on top of that, highlighting the psychological trauma inherent in pulling the trigger, clearly showing the reader all the devastation from both sides of the scope.
Flaxney_2

Post by Flaxney_2 »

Currently I am reading Frederick the Great: King of Prussia by T.C.W Blanning.
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

Love So Life, by Kouchi Kaede.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Love-So-Life ... ife?id=556
Summary wrote: Shiharu is a high school student who loves kids, lives in an orphanage, and works at a daycare... Until the handsome uncle of two-year-old twins offers her a raise if she'll be their babysitter. Often relying on memories of her mother's actions for guidance, Shiharu quickly finds herself falling in love with her new makeshift family.
001.jpg
Do you want super diabetes? Because this thing will give you super diabetes. It is the sweetest, most wholesome, most heartwarming story I have read in years. Does it get a bit too syrupy sweet at times? Maybe... but you know what? The world is messed up enough, and sometimes you just need a bit of sweetness to get you through the day. :3

PS: This has an ongoing sequel, "Life So Happy". :)
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

Tenju no Kuni, by Izumi Ichimon.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Tenju-no-Kun ... ?id=430202
Summary wrote: Eighteenth century, Tibet. Kang Shiva, a thirteen-year-old doctor-apprentice boy, lives in a mountain village. One day, when he came home from the herb collection, the bride and the party who was marrying were staying in his house. The bride's name is Moshi-La. She is the bride of Kang Shiva, and came all the way from a foreign country...! A heartwarming story of the daily life in Tibet of a gentle boy and his mysterious bride is woven.
000.jpg
It's basically a Tibetan version of Otoyomegatari, but less serious and more lighthearted.
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

Itou-kun wa Koi wo Shiranai, by Iwatobi Neko.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Itou-kun-wa- ... ?id=428258
Summary wrote: The new transfer student, Itou Kazuki, comes with a secret, hidden behind his bandage...
When Itou-kun, clueless in love, meets Yoshiuchi Aika, clumsy romantic, what will become of this unconventional couple?
dE.lp37aDbv.jpg
This is a love story between a high school girl and a faceless ghost. It's more romantic than it sounds, I swear! :lol:
Not only is it cute, it also has some very interesting info about obscure yokai. For example, did you guys know there's a yokai in Japanese mythology that just goes around scaring the ever-loving shit out of people by bending over and flashing its asshole eyeball at them? No really!
http://yokai.com/shirime/
FlameWolf2
Species: Wooooooolf
Region: Western Cape

Post by FlameWolf2 »

The Way of Kings, book 1 of the Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Way_of_Kings
Probably the best fantasy author still alive and churning out books at a ridiculous pace...
Animew
Banter kitty
Species: Animu cat

Post by Animew »

Owo i have readed a metric fucktone of the starwars books. <w< hehe, chewbaca got mooned to death UwU/ true story... also there are more furries in starwars than most people know... even sexy semi feral cat people that look a lot like charr from guildwars.
Duck face? i thought they were all just making fart noises when posing for pictures...
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

Kanojo wa Otou-san, by Taichi Kawada. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kanojo-wa-Ot ... ?id=429925
Summary wrote: Two miracles are happening to the high-schooler Naoyuki Ono's life.
The first is him going out with a beauty of his school, Shiori Sakura.
The second is that she turns into her thick-headed father if Ono touches her.
The cute girlfriend and her terrifying father are stuck in one body. Even if he wants to touch her, he can't.
And so, the curtain rises on this Father-Daughter Fusion Love Comedy!
000.png
Due to an unfortunate accident of a supernatural nature, Sakura and her father get fused together, with Ono (her prospective boyfriend) acting as a kind of "key" between them. The moment he touches her, she turns into her father, and the moment he lets go, she switches back. This premise, while simple on the surface, is absolutely hilarious. What are they going to do about the father's job? Or Sakura's school life? Or the not-so-subtle problem of having a full-grown middle-aged man with hairy legs and a 'stache walking around in a school girl's uniform? Just watching them trying to figure this out and make the best of an abysmal situation is pure comedy gold.
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

The Promised Neverland, written by Kaiu Shirai and illustrated by Posuka Demizu.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/The-Promised ... ?id=308212
003_1470351158.jpg
I have read a lot of horror manga over the years. Stuff like Ibitsu, by Ryou Haruka (http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Ibitsu/Vol-1 ... e?id=66685) Hideout, by Kakizaki Masasume (http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Hideout/Vol- ... ?id=104331) and Uzumaki, by Junji Itou (http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Uzumaki/Uzum ... 1?id=56778). All of them involve monumentally stupid people going out of their way to do monumentally stupid things all for the sake of manufacturing a superficial type of horror that feels forced, sometimes even juvenile.

The Promised Neverland, however, is not like that. First of all, it's not even a real horror (it's more of a psychological thriller), and yet it does horror far better than any of the previous examples I just mentioned, and why? Because the characters aren't a bunch of morons, that's why. Not only that, it doesn't go out of its way to try and manufacture any scares. Rather, the situation the characters find themselves in is innately scary right off the bat. The horror is a natural part of their world, which makes it feel real, and that makes it all the more terrifying for the reader.

But what is it about, you ask? Well, it's about a happy group of children who live together in an orphanage. That sounds delightful, but right from the very first page this manga starts to sow the seeds of uneasiness in a beautiful show of visual story-telling. There are certain things that just jump out at you, that just don't belong, things that make everything feel off. Why do all these kids have numbers tattooed on their necks, like something out of a WWII concentration camp? Why do they have to take extensive IQ tests every morning? And why is there a giant gate blocking access to the outside?

This is an incredible story filled with incredible characters, a story about hope in the face of insurmountable evil, and I simply cannot recommend it enough.
Baz

Post by Baz »

So this is just a snippet from my current chapter in the course I am studying...
After researching the k1.exe file from threat research websites, that file was found to be associated with the Vawtrak malware.
The last IPS alert is a Talos IPS alert, which indicates that outbound CnC traffic has been detected.
In this example, the 10.10.6.231 host was the victim, which was exploited, and then downloaded the Vawtrak malware, which then triggered the CnC outbound traffic to the 209.165.200.231 attacker.
After the CnC has been established, additional IPS alerts may be triggered as the attacker begins the pivoting, and data exfiltration phase of the attack.
Very interesting stuff, but coffee is needed a lot.
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Sounds very interesting indeed! Hahaha!
I'll probably either do this myself one day, or hire someone to do this for me...
I first need my ECS and ECNS. :roll:

Though. Most of my routing happens with Mikrotik. So, I'd probably do a Mikrotik course first.
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

Kodomo no Kodomo (A Child's Child), by Akira Saso. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kodomo-no-Ko ... -?id=94774
Summary wrote: In a small town in Tokyo, the PTA argues about teaching sex ed in elementary school, but what nobody knows is that eleven-year-old Haruna is already pregnant. When she decides not to tell any adults, it's up to her classmates to help her through this ordeal.

Yup, this story is about a pregnant 11-year-old. I know that makes it sound like some kind of loli hentai manga, but it's really not. It's a fairly serious (but sometimes humorous) look at the very real problem of extremely early pregnancies, which may be rare, but do happen from time to time (I recall a similar case happening right here in South Africa not too long ago). This manga also tackles some other issues, like sex education, abortion, the oftentimes gigantic gap between children and adults, and the lack of trust and understanding such a gap can create. It reminded me of the movie "Juno", but with a protagonist five years younger.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

I read A Wasteful Death by Sylvain St-Pierre as part of my reviewing duties. Now I started Straight Men by Jonathon Thurston.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

OMG It's not a Manga! :lol: