What are you reading RIGHT NOW? (Apart from this post)

Have a flair for poetry, stories, or even write songs? Need some advice or looking for a beta-reader? This is the place for you!

Moderator: Erdwolf_TVL

Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Re: What are you reading RIGHT NOW? (Apart from this post)

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Yeah. We seem to be a fairly illiterate bunch. Not too many reading anything. :(
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Gauteng

Post by Adagio »

Man I miss reading... I've been so busy with al my projects. I just haven't had time to sit down and read the plenty books on my shelf.
Baz
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Saber tooth Cat

Post by Baz »

Same here, I got so many books on my wish list and shelf I am dying to get my claws into!

I am also a sucker for good ebook deals on Humble Bundle, which sadly I buy but might never read.

At the moment I am still on my Cisco books for my course.
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

I just cant get into ebooks. I like holding the book kn my hands.
Baz
Species: Saber tooth Cat

Post by Baz »

Adagio wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:53 am I just cant get into ebooks. I like holding the book kn my hands.
For sure, agree 100%. I will always get hard copies of books I love or use a lot for reference. However I think I am up in the hundreds now of ebooks and magazines, I got no shelf space for that.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Well I finished Straight Men. It was... disturbing. Let's just go with disturbing.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Flaxney_2

Post by Flaxney_2 »

The Silk Roads by Peter Frankopan.
Dasc-Crescent
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Wolf

Post by Dasc-Crescent »

I've gotten a bunch of free books during the past two weeks, and right now I'm finally reading The Hobbit(Thanks Aldruenn!), which I have been meaning to read for years ^^
If the world's at large, why should I remain
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic
Species: Necrobat

Post by Contrast »

Beastars, by Itagaki Paru. https://mangadex.org/chapter/11636/1 (Yes, I'm linking to MangaDex from now on because I am sick and tired of KissManga constantly trying to shove ads down my throat.)
Summary wrote: Winner of the 2018 Manga Taisho Award.

In a world populated by anthropomorphic animals, herbivores and carnivores coexist with each other. For the adolescences of the Cherryton School, school life is filled with hope, romance, distrust, and uneasiness. The main character is Legosi the wolf, a member of the drama club. Despite his menacing appearance, he has a very gentle heart. Throughout most of his life, he has always been an object of fear and hatred by other animals, and he's been quite accustomed to that lifestyle. But soon, he finds himself becoming more involved with his fellow classmates who have their own share of insecurities and finds his life in school changing slowly.
1.png
If you liked Zootopia, you'll probbaly like this, too. The scope isn't quite as wide (the story's main focus is on a school rather than a whole city), but it's much darker and grittier. In Zootopia, the idea of an animal going feral and attacking their fellow citizens was this unthinkable thing, this bizarre mystery that defied all explanation, but in Beastars it's a fairly common occurrence. Carnivores constantly have to struggle against their primal animal instincts, and some of them just can't handle it. And when that happens, well... they eat people. They literally eat people (usually herbivores). It's such an everyday thing that the police force even has an anti-predation branch. As you can expect, this causes a lot of tension between the carnivores, who believe that they are being discriminated against because of a few bad apples, and the herbivores, who fear for their lives on a daily basis (and rightfully so).

Take all these elements and throw them into a mixed school where carnivores and herbivores study together and you've got one hell of a story. It deals with some heavy issues, like racism, stereotyping, and inter-species relationships, and creates a well fleshed out, believable world filled with interesting places (the Back-Alley Market in particular has some really disturbing imagery to it). The characters are all likable in their own unique ways, and are often forced into confronting some very difficult questions about themselves and the world they live in, questions like: Is it okay for a carnivore and a herbivore to love each other? Is it okay to pretend to be something you're not just to satisfy others? Is it okay to go against your morals for the greater good?

I love this manga, and if you're a fan of anthropomorphic stories where the animal aspects actually make sense as part of a broader world and aren't just a hollow aesthetic, then you'll love this, too.
Read my novel on: SoFurry | Fur Affinity | Deviant Art
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

I just re-read (out loud actually) The Hound by H. P. Lovecraft.
Apparently, he didn't like it but I really enjoy it and it has some really great paragraphs. It also has the first mention of the Necronomicon.
http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/tex ... ion/h.aspx
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

"Shadow House" by Soumato. https://mangadex.org/title/32962/shadow-house
Summary wrote: Faceless shadow nobles living in a vast mansion, attended by living dolls who spend much of their time cleaning up the soot endlessly emitted by their mysterious masters.

Follow the story of Emilyko, a young and cheerful living doll, as she learns her duties serving as the attendant for Kate Shadow-sama.

This is the most fascinating mystery manga I have ever read. It doesn't feel the need to explain its setting to the reader in any way, and instead of relying on clunky chunks of exposition, it shows you the world these characters inhabit in a very natural, day-by-day way, how they go about their lives, how they interact with each other, their chores, their routines. And throughout all of this is a sense that the central characters are only a very small piece of a much bigger world, all taking place just out of sight. It makes it easy to forget that you're actually reading a story and not looking in on their lives like a peeping Tom, which is wonderful.

Now it is mystery, and I've found that mysteries usually fall into one of two groups. You get the type that starts off very interesting, that fills the reader's head with all kinds of questions, but then, as the story progresses and those questions get answered, it starts to lose what made it interesting in the first place. The blanks get filled in, the mystery wanes, and the driving force just loses momentum. A good example of this is "Attack on Titan". Don't get me wrong, I still really like AoT (especially the action scenes) and I'm eagerly awaiting the next season, but the mystery aspect has weakened considerably since the first, and it doesn't quite have that "edge-of-your-seat I-just-gotta-know-what-happens-next" vibe to it anymore.

And then you've got the other type. Just like the former, it starts off interesting because there are so many questions. But, unlike the former, it actually becomes even MORE interesting the more the story progresses and the more information comes to light. This is an incredibly difficult thing to do in any kind of story, yet "Shadow House" seems to pull it off effortlessly. For every question it answers, two or three more spring up. The more we learn about these characters and their world, the more we realize we know absolutely nothing. The fact that the reader and Emilyko are in the same boat when it comes to their knowledge of the Shadow House and how it works makes her such an endearing, likable character, and I found it very easy to empathize with her as she went about her day, trying to learn as much as she could about her job and her mistress, Kate. And speaking of the Shadows...

There's just something eerie about them. Something unsettling. Just like the setting, it feels like you're not seeing the full picture (both figuratively and literally). What are they really? How did the world become like this? Just about every page had me leaning forward, rubbing my chin and going, "Huh... now that's interesting. I wonder why it's like that?"

But wait, there's more. This isn't just a fascinating little mystery story, oh no. In addition to everything I've said thus far, it also has some horror elements thrown in to give it a little spice. There is some genuinely creepy shit going on in that house, and I'm loving every page of it.

Oh, and one more thing. The whole thing is in full colour, which is rather rare for a manga, but it does work incredibly well to deepen the contrast between the Dolls and the Shadows, and it just looks nice, you know? A very pleasing art style.

I highly recommend it.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

I'm reading 21 Lessons for the 21st Century by Yuval Noah Harari. Seems pretty interesting so far, although scarce on details.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

I've finished and can heartily recommend 21 Lessons for the 21st Century to anyone who wants something to get them thinking about the way the world works. There aren't too answers in it but plenty of good questions and ways of looking at things.

I've now got a furry book to review. I actually know of and have met the author before. Problem is... so far, the book isn't that great.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

I was given Sherlock Holmes by a friend. Been reading that! ^^
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Oh! I forgot to update things here. I'm currently reading Black Leopard Red Wolf by Marlon James. I have very mixed feelings about it so far. It's also only out of order because I'm reading it and only placed it on the shelf for photographic purposes.

Since I posted it for a thread on Twitter, you can also see my bookshelf where I am living at the moment. There are a lot more books back in Cape Town. This is mostly what I've collected over the past four years or so. (Although comics and cook books are excluded.)
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Flaxney_2

Post by Flaxney_2 »

Talleyrand by Duff Cooper.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Currently I'm reading The Time He Desires by Kyell Gold.
It's a strange coincidence really. I started reading it because I had something short to read for FBR but it was kinda addictive and I finished it in no time. I thought Kyell Gold's short piece might be interesting. It's got themes of homosexuality and Islam. On the same day that I started reading it (though I only heard about it the day afterwards) this news pieces comes out about homosexuality and Islam. Now in Brunei, homosexuality can be punished by death by stoning. Though the rule only applies to Muslims.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... or-gay-sex
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Splicer-Fox
Species: Fox fennec springbok thing

Post by Splicer-Fox »

dune.jpg
Recently finished this one.

Im not even going to try explain it.
But it works for me.

when things are calm again i will start with Dune: Messiah.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

I think I had one of the Dune books at some point but I never read it. Maybe I still have it somewhere...
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

My cousin gave me a nice copy of Accessory to war, the untold link between Astrophysics and Warfare, by Niel DeGrasse Tyson.
I read the first chapter. It's really interesting.
Trace
Snep's Best Doggo
Species: Wolfdog/Shapeshifter

Post by Trace »

I finally finished reading Windfall by Tempe O'Kun last night.
It was really good. ^.^
Good writing, fun characters and interesting premise. Would recommend.
"I change shapes just to hide in this place, but I'm still, I'm still an animal" -Miike Snow, 'Animal'
"Where there's life, there's hope."-Terence
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

"Welcome to Room #305" by WaNan. https://mangadex.org/chapter/229094/1
It's about homophobia in Korea and all the different forms it takes. The main character, Kim Jung Hyun, is thrilled to start his new, independent life as a college student. That is, until he realises he's going to have to share an apartment with a homosexual. The story mostly focuses on Jung Hyun's attempts to cope with this, all while confronting his own internal biases and prejudices, which he didn't even know he had until he met Homo (Yes, his homosexual roommate's name is Homo, and yes, apparently that is a real Korean name).

The interesting thing about this story is that it doesn't only focus on one type of homophobia, but branches out. There are people like Jung Hyung, who are openly hostile against gays, and people who have never once in their entire lives met or even spoken to a gay person, yet assume they know everything about how 'perverted' they are. There is even an arc about a gay character being homophobic. It also talks about lesbianism and transgenderism, tackling the issues from multiple different angles. And although it deals with some serious subject matter, it never feels too heavy because the comedy is always on point. Definitely a worthwhile read.
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Not sure what to make of this. But I found it rather entertaining... XD
https://thedailywtf.com/articles/the-hardware-virus

Jen was a few weeks into her new helpdesk job. Unlike past jobs, she started getting her own support tickets quickly—but a more veteran employee, Stanley, had been tasked with showing her the ropes. He also got notification of Jen's tickets, and they worked on them together. A new ticket had just come in, asking for someone to replace the DVI cable that'd gone missing from Conference Room 3. Such cables were the means by which coworkers connected their laptops to projectors for presentations.

Easy enough. Jen left her cube to head for the hardware "closet"—really, more of a room crammed full of cables, peripherals, and computer parts. On a dusty shelf in a remote corner, she spotted what she was looking for. The coiled cable was a bit grimy with age, but looked serviceable. She picked it up and headed to Stanley's cube, leaning against the threshold when she got there.

"That ticket that just came in? I found the cable they want. I'll go walk it down." Jen held it up and waggled it.

Stanley was seated, facing away from her at first. He swiveled to face her, eyed the cable, then went pale. "Where did you find that?"

"In the closet. What, is it—?"

"I thought they'd been purged." Stanley beckoned her forward. "Get in here!"

Jen inched deeper into the cube. As soon as he could reach it, Stanley snatched the cable out of her hand, threw it into the trash can sitting on the floor beside him, and dumped out his full mug of coffee on it for good measure.

"What the hell are you doing?" Jen blurted.

Stanley looked up at her desperately. "Have you used it already?"

"Uh, no?"

"Thank the gods!" He collapsed back in his swivel chair with relief, then feebly kicked at the trash can. The contents sloshed around inside, but the bin remained upright.

"What's this about?" Jen demanded. "What's wrong with the cable?"

Under the harsh office lighting, Stanley seemed to have aged thirty years. He motioned for Jen to take the empty chair across from his. Once she'd sat down, he continued nervously and quietly. "I don't know if you'll believe me. The powers-that-be would be angry if word were to spread. But, you've seen it. You very nearly fell victim to it. I must relate the tale, no matter how vile."

Jen frowned. "Of what?"

Stanley hesitated. "I need more coffee."

He picked up his mug and walked out, literally leaving Jen at the edge of her seat. She managed to sit back, but her mind was restless, wondering just what had her mentor so upset.

Eventually, Stanley returned with a fresh mug of coffee. Once he'd returned to his chair, he placed the mug on his desk and seemed to forget all about it. With clear reluctance, he focused on Jen. "I don't know where to start. The beginning, I suppose. It fell upon us from out of nowhere. Some say it's the spawn of a Sales meeting; others blame a code review gone horribly wrong. In the end, it matters little. It came alive and spread like fire, leaving destruction and chaos in its wake."

Jen's heart thumped with apprehension. "What? What came alive?"

Stanley's voice dropped to a whisper. "The hardware virus."

"Hardware virus?" Jen repeated, eyes wide.

Stanley glared. "You're going to tell me there's no such thing, but I tell you, I've seen it! The DVI cables ..."

He trailed off helplessly, reclining in his chair. When he straightened and resumed, his demeanor was calmer, but weary.

"At some godforsaken point in space and time, a single pin on one of our DVI cables was irrevocably bent. This was the source of the contagion," he explained. "Whenever the cable was plugged into a laptop, it cracked the plastic composing the laptop's DVI port, contorting it in a way that resisted all mortal attempt at repair. Any time another DVI cable was plugged into that laptop, its pin was bent in just the same way as with the original cable.

"That was how it spread. Cable infected laptop, laptop infected cable, all with vicious speed. There was no hope for the infected. We ... we were forced to round up and replace every single victim. I was knee-deep in the carnage, Jen. I see it in my nightmares. The waste, the despair, the endless reimaging!"

Stanley buried his head in his hands. It was a while before he raised his haunted gaze again. "I don't know how long it took, but it ran its course; the support tickets stopped coming in. Our superiors consider the matter resolved ... but I've never been able to let my guard down." He glanced warily at the trash can, then made eye contact with Jen. "Take no chances with any DVI cables you find within this building. Buy your own, and keep them with you at all times. If you see any more of those—" he pointed an accusing finger at the bin "—don't go near them, don't try taking a paperclip to them. There's everything to lose, and nothing to gain. Do you understand?"

Unable to manage words, Jen nodded instead.

"Good." The haunted expression vanished in favor of grim determination. Stanley stood, then rummaged through a desk drawer loaded with office supplies. He handed Jen a pair of scissors, and armed himself with a brassy letter opener.

"Our job now is to track down the missing cable that resulted in your support ticket," he continued. "If we're lucky, someone's absent-mindedly walked off with it. If we're not, we may find that this is step one in the virus' plan to re-invade. Off we go!"

Jen's mind reeled, but she sprang to her feet and followed Stanley out of the cubicle, telling herself to be ready for anything.
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian

Post by Raven Song »

I'm rereading The Moth Diaries, it's a teen novel with undertones of vampirism, lots of lesbian sex, murder and arson.

I'm also pleased that the online webcomic i'm in love with (Go Get a Roomie) has finally hit a point where the main characters are finally having sex. This webcomic is big for me, as for a while I thought it's where my relationship was going, but now I realise it's what I should strive for :P
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Faanvolla
Plaas Brak
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Dog (Vampire)
Region: Western Cape

Post by Faanvolla »

Dune was a great series, I got 4 already well used dune books before Highschool and stayed up way too late in the hostel reading them with a light under the covers (to not wake my roommate or have the patrolling teacher see the light in the hall camera /when he walked through checking. Even in the sweltering hot summer nights I was engrossed so deep that it didn't matter; I felt like I was there in the desert with them.

This weekend I started reading Priest by Matthew Colville. Too early to tell if I can recommend it, but I've been enjoying his DnD videos on YT enough to feel good for supporting him either way.

Seize the day, not your bearings.
Steam, Rockstar SocialClub, Uplay, Battlenet: Faanvolla#2539, Telegram: @Faanvolla
Switch Code: SW-0054-4917-1029
DeviantArt,Furaffinity,SoFurry, Weasyl, FurryNetwork
ProfilePic by hanimetion
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

I need to finish this book today because I'm supposed to review it for FBR and I've taken so long. It's not bad... it's just not great either...
50308355._SY475_.jpg
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:39 am I need to finish this book today because I'm supposed to review it for FBR and I've taken so long. It's not bad... it's just not great either...

50308355._SY475_.jpg
Is that a dassie? It looks like the dassies terrorising me at night
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Adagio wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:42 am
Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:39 am I need to finish this book today because I'm supposed to review it for FBR and I've taken so long. It's not bad... it's just not great either...

50308355._SY475_.jpg
Is that a dassie? It looks like the dassies terrorising me at night
No, it's a capybara. But it sounds like you need to stop drinking before bed.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

I can highly recommend The Unexpected Truth About Animals by Lucy Cooke. It's amazing book and will teach you a whole lot about animals and what we used to believe about animals. Probably a bit more than you really wanted to know but you will enjoy the ride.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Christmas books! Should give me a good start for next year's reading.
Attachments
IMG_20201226_122414_small.jpg
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~