What are you reading RIGHT NOW? (Apart from this post)

Have a flair for poetry, stories, or even write songs? Need some advice or looking for a beta-reader? This is the place for you!

Moderator: Erdwolf_TVL

rusted hydra
Cannibal
Sexual preference: Bi
Region: Gauteng

Re: What are you reading RIGHT NOW? (Apart from this post)

Post by rusted hydra »

Wiki stuff.
Specifically of commissar Yarrick form WH40K
Badass claw fist man. :3

Now off to read about baneblades
Wiggins
Sexual preference: Bi-mostly gay
Species: African Wild Dog
Region: KZN and Eastern Cape

Post by Wiggins »

Fido Ebbon wrote:Wiki stuff.
Specifically of commissar Yarrick form WH40K
Badass claw fist man. :3

Now off to read about baneblades

Looking at random 40k videos because Fido's comment just reminded me of them.
“A wise man once said a true history of the world is a history of great conversations in elegant rooms.”
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Necrobat

Post by Contrast »

Contrast wrote:Boku dake ga Inai Machi (The Town Only I Don't Live In), by Sanbe Kei. It's about a struggling manga artist named Satoru who works as a part-time pizza delivery guy. Highly anti-social and withdrawn, he finds it difficult to maintain relationships and get along with others.

What interested me in this manga is his "ability" (it's actually more of a "condition", since he has absolutely no control over it) to go through "reruns". Sometimes, seemingly at random, he'll be thrust back in time and forced to relive the same minutes over and over again until he can find the "oddity", something that needs to be changed in order for him to escape the loop. This usually entails saving someone's life, or simply noticing something or acting in a way that changes the course of events just enough for the "oddity" to never occur.

The art style isn't the prettiest, and the translation certainly leaves something to be desired, but the story is definitely worth a read.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Boku-dake-ga ... ?id=132854
It has an anime now, and it's way better than the manga. :D
Read my novel on: SoFurry | Fur Affinity | Deviant Art
Brisby
Species: Zebra
Region: Other

Post by Brisby »

Private the Penguin: [landing in Antarctica] Well. This sucks.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Felt sure there was a comic version of this but couldn't see it. Anyway, just finished reading this Dr Whooves comic. Absolutely brilliant!

http://edowaado.deviantart.com/art/Doct ... -294768080
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

Um... I just discovered a manga about a dude who can transform into a giant creepy living fursuit. o_O

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Gleipnir/Ch- ... ?id=243790
Attachments
s036.jpg
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian

Post by Raven Song »

I WANT THAT SUIT!!!!
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

And now I've read it and I NEED MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

RavenSong wrote:And now I've read it and I NEED MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Judging by the dates, new chapters come out once a month. :/
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I can't wait that long!!!

Why is it that my favourite comics all take forever to update!
First there was Sunstone (which is a really sexy read) and now this!
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

I've been reading Fables lately. I really liked the Telltale game, and I heard that the comic was really good, so I was excited to get into it. Unfortunately, the whole thing left me rather disappointed. Without going too deeply into any spoilers, here are some of my personal thoughts and opinions.

Yes, seeing all the different fairy tale characters from different stories interacting with each other is interesting at first, but you very quickly begin to realize that the characters don't have much depth to them beyond their origins. The only character with a bit of personality, in my opinion, is Bigby, and even that goes out the window once you recognise his patterns. ("I pretend like I don't care about anything, but actually I do, and even though everybody already knows that, I still act all broody anyway.") Also, he's so massively overpowered that none of the antagonists seem like a viable threat. There's just no real sense of danger whenever he's involved. Another problem the story has with this mash-up of fairy tale worlds is that, at any moment, no matter how much trouble the characters are in, they can always be saved by some random deus ex machina in the form of a spell/enchantment/ability that was never established beforehand and then explained away with "magic solves everything, herpa-derpa zurp-n-flurp".

Another thing I really dislike (this goes for any story, but Fables is particularly guilty) is how they try to go out of their way to convince the reader that certain characters are intelligent/capable/badass when they clearly aren't. One character in particular is supposed to be smart, but they repeatedly fail to notice all the shenanigans going on around them, they frequently get in trouble as a result, and then need to get bailed out by the other characters. This wouldn't have bothered me as much if the comic didn't try to portray them as cool, confident and capable when they're actually nothing more than a completely useless, air-brained damsel in distress.

If it was just that one character I might have been okay with it, but there's more. The comic desperately wants you to believe that a certain character is incredibly badass, but he's not. The only reason he can go around killing hundreds of enemies is because of his equipment. He has a weapon that can kill anything in a single strike and a cloak that makes him invulnerable. That's not badass. That's lame. You could give that gear to Humpty Dumpty and he'd be unstoppable. There was one part where this character got stripped of his overpowered equipment, and I was overjoyed! "Yes, finally!" I thought to myself. "Maybe now this character can prove that he can do badass stuff without all that crap, maybe now the fights will have an element of danger, maybe now he'll have to rely on his wits!" But nooooooo. He was totally useless without his equipment. Then, due to the aforementioned magical deus ex machinas, he immediately got it all back and went on to destroy a bunch of enemies in a fight that had absolutely no tension or drama whatsoever. The sad part was that I could almost hear the comic squealing in my ear: "Oh, look! This character is so badass! Look at him kill all those monsters! Isn't that badass? That's totally badass, right? Don't you think so? Don't you think that's badass?"

No, comic, no. I don't think that's badass. I think that's lazy writing.

And now let's move on to the "romance" if you can even call it that. In my opinion, a good romance is something that develops naturally. Characters do things for each other or interact with each other in ways that make them like each other, and eventually fall in love. In Fables, however, characters just get lumped together and suddenly they're "in love" for no other reason than to further the plot. One romance in particular was so contrived that they had to use magical means to force the characters together without them even being aware or conscious of it. That's not romantic, that's a double-roofie!

Lastly, the art. Maybe I'm too used to manga, or maybe I just don't appreciate the western style for what it is, but in my opinion, the art of Fables is horrendously ugly. Textures looks flat and lifeless, some parts have absolutely no shading at all while others are practically coloured black, the faces are hideously distorted, and even though it's all in colour, the pages seem so pale and drab.

Fables is a neat idea, but overall, there are far too many glaring problems for me to enjoy it.
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

Koe no Katachi (The Shape of Voice), by Ooima Yoshitoki.

It's about a deaf girl, Nishimiya, and the extreme difficulties she faces on a daily basis. Even though she is deaf, she attends a hearing school, and because of this she is the victim of constant bullying. One boy in particular, Ishida, has gone out of his way to make her life a living hell. Interestingly, this manga is written mostly from Ishida's perspective.

Reading this story is a real emotional roller-coaster. Not only did it give me a sense of how incredibly difficult everyday life must be for the hearing-impaired, it also reaffirmed just how despicable and cruel kids can be to each other, especially to those who are seen as "different".

The first chapter is a one-shot (kind of like a short story of its own) that was released separately from the manga, which is why the rest follows a more traditional episodic flow, going over the events of the one-shot over the course of two or three chapters before reaching the point where the one-shot left off. But I'd still recommend reading both the one-shot and the following chapters without skipping anything, since together they form a more complete picture of the opening.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Koe-no-Katac ... ?id=158901
Attachments
000.jpg
Flaxney

Post by Flaxney »

Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino.
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

First Gleipnir, and now this? What is with the sudden influx of killer fursuits in manga these days? O.O

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Pygmalion/Vo ... ?id=272718
Attachments
000.jpg
Asbjorn-phoenix
Papa Bear
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: FireBear - Bear Phoenix hybrid

Post by Asbjorn-phoenix »

A 60 page research dissertation of the effects of word of mouth and how it can be controlled in Samsung Mobiles overall marketing campaign.

Yeah... I know I'm boring :)
If you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear,
if you've something to hide you shouldn't be here.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

You appear to be quite the manga aficionado, Contrast! :P Do you have any special recommendations?

As for me, I am currently reading The Old Curiosity Shop (1841) by Charles Dickens - an old classic. I bought, green hard-cover and embossed with golden lining, from an little bookstore in Clarens called "Bibliophile".
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

Lol, thanks. I'm really just some guy who likes to switch off his brain every now and then, but I do have some recommendations. It all depends on what you're looking for, of course.

Most of these I've already mentioned previously in this thread, but I'll go over each of them real quick and specify what kind of target audience they're aimed at.

First of all, since this is a furry forum, I'll start with manga that have at least a hint of furriness to them.

1. Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Monster-Musu ... ?id=114614

ECCHI WARNING. (I'll use this warning to indicate manga with nudity and lewd themes.)

One of my favourite comedy manga of all time. It has a fairly basic ecchi harem story (a single male protagonist surrounded by multiple female supporting characters and coupled with copious amounts of nudity and lewd humour), but what sets it apart is that most of the supporting characters are monster girls, each with their own unique (and oftentimes challenging) personality.

2. Inumimi. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Inumimi/1?id=56450

ECCHI WARNING.

Once again, this is your classic ecchi harem scenario (nudity and lewd humour), but with dog girls. Be careful who you show this to, though. Seeing girls behaving like dogs might rub some people up the wrong way.

3. The Dragon Next Door. http://mangafox.me/manga/the_dragon_nex ... 001/1.html

This one isn't technically a manga, it's a manhwa (Korean comic), so you read it from left to right. It's a slice of life story about a dude who discovers that his next door neighbour is actually a dragon in disguise. A fun and light-hearted comedy. The only problem is that, even though it's still ongoing, it's no longer getting translated for some unknown reason, so you'll only be able to read it up to chapter 56, which is a real shame.

4. The Beast And His Pet High School Girl Redux. https://e621.net/post/show/559450/anthr ... over_page-

This is a bit of an oddball. It's about a girl who gets kidnapped and taken to a world inhabited by anthro's to be kept as a pet. That sounds super dark (and I actually would have preferred such a storyline to have more realistic consequences) but all it really amounts to is an endless string of scenarios in which the characters all try to act as cute as possible. I read it because I see so much potential in it, but I'm always left bitterly disappointed because the story never gets serious. But still, if you're the type of guy who enjoys a story based mostly around fluffy hugs, then you'll probably enjoy this one.

All right, that concludes most of the "furry" manga I've read, so let's move on to the more mainstream stuff.

If you like shounen manga (manga aimed at the "young male" demographic, usually containing lots of action, such as Dragonball Z, Naruto and Bleach) then you might like these.

5. One Punch Man. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Onepunch-Man ... ?id=256248

It's all in the title. A super hero who can defeat any foe with one punch. Filled with tons of action, violence, humour and satire, this story has a little bit of everything, and if you look a little closer, you'll find a surprising depth to the characters, especially Saitama. Not only does he fly in the face of every super hero trope and cliché in the book (even the bland way he's drawn sets him apart), he also struggles under the heavy burden of an existential crisis, which isn't something you see very often in stories like these.

An anime version is available.

6. Boku no Hero Academia. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Boku-no-Hero ... ?id=205185

This one is kind of like a Japanese take on X-Men and western super heroes in general. Like X-Men, people suddenly started being born with strange powers. But, unlike X-Men, the "mutants" quickly became the vast majority (roughly 80%), and people without powers are now considered freaks.

An anime version is currently airing.

7. Fullmetal Alchemist. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Fullmetal-Al ... ?id=208565

I probably don't need to explain why I recommend this one. Absolutely brilliant in every way.
Two anime versions are available (FMA: Brotherhood is the one that follows the original manga the closest).

And last, but certainly not least, a manga I pray will someday get an anime of its own...

8. Youkai Shoujo. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Youkai-Shouj ... ?id=193253

ECCHI WARNING.

Another ecchi harem story, but with "Youkai" (Japanese spirits). Similar to Monster Musume, but with a greater focus on action and fighting scenes. All the monsters, ghosts, demons and spirits in this manga are based on real stories from Japanese mythology, and I had a ton of fun reading up on all the different youkai after each chapter and comparing their origins to what was depicted in the manga. Perverse and educational! Win win! :3
Asbjorn-phoenix
Papa Bear
Species: FireBear - Bear Phoenix hybrid

Post by Asbjorn-phoenix »

Asbjorn-phoenix wrote:A 60 page research dissertation of the effects of word of mouth and how it can be controlled in Samsung Mobiles overall marketing campaign.

Yeah... I know I'm boring :)

And now I am reading a stack of journals, academic publications and dissertations on marketing relating to above the line, below the line and through the line marketing so that I can do a research project myself which will count as my final examination for my final subject to complete my qualification.

When that is done it will either be a MBA or an Honors next still to decide, but it will be done.

Yup and still boring I know.
If you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear,
if you've something to hide you shouldn't be here.
jacojerb
Species: bunny/fox

Post by jacojerb »

I'm reading "the traitor queen" by Trudi Canacan. The last book of the trilogy that follows the "The magicians guild" trilogy... So basically the last of the 6 books...

I don't like that. After this, these characters's stories are done. I don't like endings
Mew?
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

"Urami Koi, Koi, Urami Koi" by Akitaka.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Urami-Koi-Ko ... ?id=223118
000.jpg
I stumbled upon this little gem out of pure blind luck, and it's one of the best manga I've found all year. I'll give a very brief summary of the premise behind it.

The legend of the Hateful Cat explains why the cat is not included among the signs of the Chinese Zodiac. There are many different versions of this story (and they make for an interesting read in their own right), but the one in this manga goes a little like this.

Long ago there was a patch of land so vast and beautiful that not even the god of the earth could take care of it all, so he decided to hold a grand race between the animals of the earth in order to divide it up. The first twelve to finish would be the new masters of the land.

The Cat didn't know the date on which the race was to be held, so she asked the Rat, but the Rat, being a conniving asshole, lied and gave the Cat the wrong date, so she showed up on the wrong day and never got a chance to compete. (This is also why there is no cat in the Chinese Zodiac.)

The Cat, understandably, was furious, and tried to kill the Rat, but the god of the earth saw this and banished the Cat from the land as punishment for its hatred.

Centuries passed and the Cat's hatred grew and grew until it was eventually warped and transformed into a yokai (evil spirit) of immense power, which brings us to the present day.

The setting for this story is Twelve City, a city ruled by twelve families, each one corresponding to an animal of the Chinese Zodiac.

Nekogasaki Natsuho is the Hateful Cat, and with hatred and anger woven into her very being, she invades the city with the goal of wiping out the Rat clan, only to find that the current head of the family, Nekuni Kyouichi, isn't exactly what she was expecting...

The characters are all very endearing, especially Natsuho, who can be painfully adorable and genuinely scary depending on the situation.

In conclusion, this is a delightful story filled to the brim with comedy, romance, and action. I highly recommend it.
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

Akkan Baby, by Miyauchi Saya.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Akkan-Baby/001?id=114677
Akkan Baby wrote:High schoolers Yuki and Shigeru aren't dating, but still enjoy a highly active sexual relationship. Naïve and still very child-like in the way they think, it comes as a great shock to them when Shigeru discovers she's pregnant. The two are confronted with the decision of aborting the baby and wounding Shigeru, or to keep it and face great opposition from their parents and high school, and *gasp* miss their beloved Conflict concerts!
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

"My Young Cat, My Old Dog", by Cho. I'm not entirely sure, but I think this might be the same Cho that does Dragon Next Door.

The description simply says, "Episodic Pet Stories", so I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I was not prepared. I was bawling my eyes out within the first five minutes. :cry:

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/My-Young-Cat ... -?id=97723
Attachments
000.jpg
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Got to enable cookies and java to see. Don't have the energy to do all that right now.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

"Oyasumi Punpun" (Goodnight Punpun), by Asano Inio.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Oyasumi-Punp ... e?id=91058
7524872oyasumi-punpun-l0_200x0.jpg
7524872oyasumi-punpun-l0_200x0.jpg (4.69 KiB) Viewed 3489 times
Oyasumi Punpun wrote:Witness the titular Punpun - who is depicted as a tiny, caricatured bird in an otherwise normal human setting - as he copes with his dysfunctional family and friends, his love interest, his oncoming adolescence and his hyperactive mind.
Okay, this is another weird one. It's basically the story of Punpun, a boy who gets depicted as a small white bird. He's not actually a bird, of course. The other characters all see him as a normal human being. I believe the reasons for this are symbolic, since his appearance (to the reader, at least) changes based on his mental state.

It's quite a long manga that spans many years and deals with some very mature themes, such as abuse, domestic violence, sex, and depression.
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

So I've been looking for something to read after Punpun, and I just stumbled across this.
"Niehime to Kemono no Ou" (Sacrifice Princess and King of Beasts), by Tomofuji Yuu.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Niehime-to-K ... ?id=287963
4058622ef9974fbe9.jpg
4058622ef9974fbe9.jpg (10.94 KiB) Viewed 3483 times
It's kinda like Beauty and the Beast, but with 100% more tail fluffs. :3
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

"Dorohedero", by Q. Ayashida.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Dorohedoro/1?id=67983
000.jpg
Dorohedero wrote:The story revolves around Kaiman, who does not remember who he was before he was transfigured by a Magic user. This transformation left him with a reptile's head, and a desire to find out the truth about who he really is. Accompanied by Nikaido, his female companion, he tracks down Magic Users in "The Hole" and unceremoniously chomps down on their head, hoping to find out who it was that put him in this state. One by one, they witness this "second man" inside the head of Kaiman, and after pulling them back out of his mouth he asks them all a question...

"What did the guy inside my head say?"
This one is pretty weird, but basically it's about a lizard man fighting mages.
Nasheera

Post by Nasheera »

The Alchemists of Barbal!
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

Hissed Connections, by Shane Frost.

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/18959365/
00_Title.jpg
It's a cute story about a snake girl trying to live in a human city. :3
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

I'm reading Fallout: Equestria again. Well... mostly listening to the audio book but then I ran out of chapters on my iPod and read the next two because I had to know what happened next. Now I will be back to listening to it while I do some of the more repetitive things at work.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Nasheera

Post by Nasheera »

The Alex Crow~
Attachments
The-Alex-Crow-Andrew-Smith.jpg