What are you reading RIGHT NOW? (Apart from this post)

Have a flair for poetry, stories, or even write songs? Need some advice or looking for a beta-reader? This is the place for you!

Moderator: Erdwolf_TVL

Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian
Region: Other

Re: What are you reading RIGHT NOW? (Apart from this post)

Post by Raven Song »

Jolly Jacks latest offering... Mistress of the Iron Wood. I mean it's like... £2.20 :P that's one dinner I just gave up
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Necrobat

Post by Contrast »

RavenSong wrote:Mistress of the Iron Wood.
Sounds dirty. :P

I'm reading "Why Did Men Stop Wearing High Heels?" by Jimmy Kim.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Why-Did-Men- ... ?id=347873
Summary wrote:Kim Manseok is your average, everyday guy, but with one particular hobby: his love for high-end high heels. He owns his own personal blog and is known as a woman online, but one day his identity is exposed! Will he be able to continue his life as an ordinary salary man?
5102932180.jpg
5102932180.jpg (16.63 KiB) Viewed 5786 times
This is not the kind of thing I'd normally read, and never in a million years did I think I'd actually enjoy it, but this story is absolutely hilarious! :lol:
It has good art, great comedy, interesting characters, and surprisingly fascinating snippets about the history of high heels. Yes, you read that right. The same guy who loves to read super gory manga like "Drifters" and "Gleipnir" spent yesterday thumbing through a manhwa about high heels going, "Ooh, that's interesting..." :lol:
Read my novel on: SoFurry | Fur Affinity | Deviant Art
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

it was :P So it probably should be in the other section of the forum.... but I forgotted :P
cuddlyfox
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Fox
Region: Gauteng

Post by cuddlyfox »

Jingo!
Stay a while and ... cuddle!
Inkswitch
Sexual preference: Bi-mostly gay
Species: unicorn
Region: KZN and Eastern Cape

Post by Inkswitch »

The Complete Works of HP Lovecraft. Pretty good reading (if you can get past the ridiculously obvious racist themes)
You can crew your ship but you can't ship your crew
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Lovecraft is good. Okay, some are a bit hit and miss but when he's good, he's really good.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
jacojerb
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: bunny/fox

Post by jacojerb »

Still reading The Wheel Of Time series, by Robert Jordan... Its gonna take me a while

On book 4 of 14 now.

Books 1 and 2 were great at times, and meh at other times... They switch between different characters perspectives the whole time, and sometimes it just switched to the perspective of someone I can't care less about, and it's like "I can't read this..." then it takes me days to get through a bit like that. Other times, it gets it just right, and I can't stop reading...

Then book 3... It was so good. None of the boring irrelevant perspective stuff. Really good. Finished it in less than two weeks

Now book 4... Eh, it's got bits where I need to push through again. Stuff I don't really care about. But it's good

I'll recommend the series, though it is 14 big books... Great fantasy, a lot of memorable characters, good writing... Just kinda drags out at times, with things I really don't care about
Mew?
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

I spent quite a bit of time on the train to and from Germany so I finished Leonardo by Martin Kemp (About Leonardo da Vinci but centered around themes rather than a chronological biography...) and The Strange Case of Dr Kekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson and made a start on 120 Days of Sodom by the Marquis de Sade (The guy who lent his name to sadism).
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

I recently finished Bazaar of Bad Dreams, an anthology of short stories by Stephen King.
To be honest, I didn't like it very much. Some of his previous short stories were pretty good, but these were all kinda samey. Almost every story followed this basic formula: introduce two or three unlikable/boring characters, have a monster/person/supernatural mumbo jumbo come in and kill some/all of them, and then cap it off with an abrupt and unsatisfying ending. It never felt like there was ever any POINT. I'll give an example.

Spoilers to the short story "Obits":
Spoiler
Some guy discovers he can kill people by writing their obituaries. Kind of a ripoff of Death Note, but whatever. It's a concept you can run with.
You can take it in many directions. You can write all sorts of stuff around long-distance killing without any repercussions. But then, after using the power only a few times (and most of those were only to figure out if he was really responsible for the deaths or if it was just one big crazy coincidence) he decides to just stop. The End. And that's the whole story. It never went anywhere. There was no POINT. That was what I kept thinking with every short story in this anthology. What's the POINT? It's just introducing a concept and THE END, or one character randomly having a heart attack and THE END, or two characters sitting around talking about stuff that happened to them 50 years ago and THE END.
The bottom line is, there was never any POINT to any of these, and that left me feeling bitterly disappointed.
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

Yandere Kanojo, by Shinobi.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Yandere-Kano ... ?id=193458
Cover.jpg
Summary wrote:Tanaka Manabu is a geeky student, on the way to school he meets a girl carrying a bloody bat. That girl is Ryuuzaki Reina, leader of the school's female delinquents. It's love at first sight. A gag manga (with a combination of 4koma and normal pages) about having a yankee dere-dere girlfriend.

NOTE: in the title of this series, "yandere" isn't referring to this term, but to the "yankee"+"dere-dere" combination.
A light, syrupy sweet and often hilarious slice-of-life manga. If you like unlikely romances between two characters who ordinarily wouldn't get along under any circumstance, then this is the story for you.

PS: Ordinarily "yandere" refers to a type of character who starts off sweet and lovey-dovey, but then becomes totally obsessed with the target of her affections, usually resulting in violence and sometimes even death. In Yandere Kanojo, however, the "Yan" is short for "Yankee", which is Japanese slang for delinquent, so no need to worry about that.
Sa1tflat
Species: A filthy hybrid

Post by Sa1tflat »

Personology from individual to ecosystem 4th edition. It written by WF Meyer, C Moore and HG Viljoen. Because I am still in school I decided to take a look at physiology and I am considering it an job I might enjoy doing. So has someone else read it?
@Sa1tflat on telegram.
I definitely straight as shit, definitely
Ok maybe not
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Raptor Red, by Robert T Bakker. Yes, say all you want, but I have been looking for this book for a long time. :P I was going to order it online, but one day I went to a nearby secondhand book store, and found it on one of the shelves! Hardcover, in prestine condition! And going for... wait for it... R12 (the standard rate of that bookstore)! One might think that for it to be sold so cheaply, there must have been an enormous compromise on quality, but I can personally assure you the book is as good as new. Perhaps it was donated to the bookstore by a deeply religious parent of a child who ordered it? ;) In any case, few coincidences could be more desirable.
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

"Black Torch" by Takaki Tsuyoshi.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Black-Torch/ ... ?id=343760
Summary wrote:As a descendant of shinobi, Jirou Azuma has been learning ninja techniques his entire life. But in addition to that, he also has the ability to talk to animals. One day when he rescues a strange black cat named Ragou, he learns that the world is filled with spirits called mononoke that can take the form of both people and animals. However, their meeting is cut short when they are attacked by a hostile mononoke who is after Ragou's power.
002_1484969198.jpg
This manga has strong Bleach vibes, so if you're a fan of Bleach, you'll probably enjoy this one, too. :geek:
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Oh yes, I've given priority to a new book, Rigor Mortis by Richard Harris which is all about problems in science.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

"I Want to be Normal" by Canaria. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/I-want-to-be ... ?id=370657
3857192c60e1.jpg
3857192c60e1.jpg (18.38 KiB) Viewed 5624 times
This story is about a high school student, Fukatsu Michitaka, who suffers from a condition known as prosopagnosia or "face blindness", that prevents him from telling people apart. It only has two chapters so far, but it resonated with me from the get-go because I, too, used to have a lot of trouble with faces. It was never as bad as in this manga, but up until grade 5 or so I simply could not tell people apart at all. I used to rely on tricks such as hairstyles and body types to differentiate between people (even ones from my own class). The brain can learn to overcome this problem with enough practice, but I never knew how bad it could really get until I found this manga and started doing some light research of my own. Some people suffering from prosopagnosia can't recognize the faces of their friends, families and loved ones, or even pick out their own faces from a photo line-up.
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

"High School Girl X Dragon" by Brown Sugar (no, seriously). http://kissmanga.com/Manga/High-School- ... ?id=371707

It's about a high school girl who has a crush on a dragon. That's pretty much it. It's short, light, has a cute art style, and reads kind of like a newspaper comic strip.
Attachments
000_1498194696.png
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

Dolly Kill Kill, by Kurando Yukiaki and Nomura Yuusuke. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Dolly-Kill-K ... ?id=359909
It's about an alien invasion. Kinda like War of the Worlds, but with giant killer dolls.
m002.jpg
Quick question. Would it be weird if I said that I thought that some of the dollies were kinda... sexy?
Damn why-bonerz! >.<
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

Death Vigil... webcomic... soooo goooood
Inkswitch
Sexual preference: Bi-mostly gay
Species: unicorn
Region: KZN and Eastern Cape

Post by Inkswitch »

A really old (like "published in 1910" old) copy of the Complete Works of the Brothers Grimm which my dad bought for me recently. Best late-birthday present ever :D
You can crew your ship but you can't ship your crew
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

Ibitsu, by Ryou Haruka. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Ibitsu/Vol-1 ... e?id=66685
002.png
If some creepy chick with a parasol and a stuffed bunny asks you if you have a little sister, for the love of all that is holy, don't answer her! Especially not of she thinks that the trash dump outside your apartment is prime chillin' territory. Seriously one of the creepiest stories I've read in a long while.
Brisby
Species: Zebra

Post by Brisby »

Private the Penguin: [landing in Antarctica] Well. This sucks.
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

Zanuff the Butcher, by Jouyama Yui. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Zanuff-the-B ... ?id=378536

It's about a psychopath who finds a little girl in the alley behind his butcher shop. Surprisingly emotional, but also disturbing.
Attachments
005.png
Brisby
Species: Zebra

Post by Brisby »

Private the Penguin: [landing in Antarctica] Well. This sucks.
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Species: Snow Leopard

Post by Adagio »

What are the chances that Animew csn get brisby to use the [image] tags instead of the, [img] tags? XD
CyntheWightRabbit

Post by CyntheWightRabbit »

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Tower-of-God

Technically I've been following this manhwa/webcomic for years now. (I'd like to pride myself in saying I knew it before it was cool. #I'msohipsterI'vecircledbackandfoundmyselfswimminginthemainstream. Coughcoughyeah.)

It's about a fictional universe within there's a tower whereby you'll be granted anything you want if you reach the top. The tower itself is massive. (As in entire floors can be as large as cities/countries.) Normally the tower chooses who is allowed to enter, they are called Regulars. However, you get a unique few who can open the door themselves called Irregulars. Guess which one our MC is?? ;3

I'd say the only real problem the story has is that it falls into the rut most story's of this genre do. (You know the cliche action/made for teenage boys/shiz.) And that's the power creep. But eh, it is done fairly well enough.
Sarcasm in the lowest form of wit.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Well I've now finished The 120 Days of Sodom. I think I can refrain from recommending it.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
CyntheWightRabbit

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Macchi-Shoujo

I dunno if Contrast mentioned this or not, cause it is his kinda thing (the little magical girl stuff. Kek.) but eh. I'm too lazy to try and look that up so have it again.

The Little Match Girl in essence is that cliche be careful what you wish for stories, whereby when you light a match given to you by this character, you get to have whatever fantasy you have become reality. It is episodic, meaning there isn't that much of a overarching story between chapters, but that isn't too much of a big deal. AND thank god not all of the stories end horribly. (As what you might expect.)

My favourite chapter so far must have been the second most recent one. I mean, where else would you get a story that's basically the romance between a boulder, an actual boulder, and a flower. AND it hits the feels so hard. 10/10. 100/100.

I'd definitely recommend it to anyone. :3 And everyone.
CyntheWightRabbit

I need to get back into actually reading books. :v

Currently, I'm sort of dabbling between two of them:
Kiss the Dead by Laurell K. Hamilton and Perdido Street Station by China Mieville.

The one I'm reading out of obligation as I've basically read the majority of the series of books. (Most of which I read out of obligation as well as the first few were the only good ones imo.) And the other one was suggested to me, but eh. The first scene really put me off. As in who really wants to read a (not so graphic) sex scene between a human and some insectoid alien creature. AND in the beginning of the book. It seemed way too tryhard for me tbh.

Anyone got any other suggestions they'd like to throw my way? I've actually been looking for a book club nearby to motivate me to actually read more but eh. Nothing has been really catching my eye.
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

Uratarou, by Nakayama Atsushi. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Uratarou/Ch-000?id=323171

Chiyo is a dying girl who wishes for immortality. Uratarou is an 800 year old immortal who wishes for death. Maybe they can help each other out?
000_1475431690.jpg
Don't let the bright colours fool you. This manga is pretty messed up.
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Species: Snow Leopard

Post by Adagio »

Wondering if we should split this into comics and books.