My Fursona, Trace

For all types of visual art. Digital, traditional or photography. We want to see it.
Trace
Snep's Best Doggo
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Wolfdog/Shapeshifter
Region: Other

My Fursona, Trace

Post by Trace »

After several restless nights, much consideration and some encouragement from others, I have figured out my Fursona; and in doing so, I think I've learned a little more about myself.
I have decided that I am a Wolfdog. Somewhere on the verge of two worlds: domestic and wild, subservient and free, the Dog and the Wolf.
I attempted my first drawing of him last night, and was really happy with the results. I think it turned out pretty well considering it's about the first time I've used pen and color pencils in a piece... I'm ever looking to improve, but I think I'm starting to get to the point where I can occasionally be happy with my original art.
I'd like to give a quick shout-out to RavenSong for the tutorial she posted, which was a really helpful starting point for doing faces, which I am pretty bad at.
Also a huge thanks to Badge, who has been really encouraging to me over the last couple of weeks, and has pushed me to try things even when I've been worried about failure. You are awesome, buddy.
And of course a big thank you to all you guys! You have all been super welcoming and it's been great to have access to this community of folks who also like animal people. :D
Well, without further ado, have this first picture of me:
download/file.php?mode=view&id=7445
I doubt it will be the last, and hopefully I can only get better.
If anyone wants to see my previous attempts at art, let me know and I can show off some of those too. I could also go into a little more detail about my 'Sona if anyone is curious. And constructive criticism is always appreciated. Just please don't break my little heart. :) Would love to hear what you all think!
Attachments
Trace.jpg
"I change shapes just to hide in this place, but I'm still, I'm still an animal" -Miike Snow, 'Animal'
"Where there's life, there's hope."-Terence
Randall
Species: Funambulus palmarum (Squirrel)
Region: Gauteng

Re: My Fursona, Trace

Post by Randall »

Well done :)
Badge
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Badgacat

Post by Badge »

It makes me happy watching someone grow and experiment and develop themselves and their skills
If you take your marker and connect this dot to that one, that one to this one here you will get a really annoyed dalmatian.

The European Badger (meles meles) is known to have a rather large range of vocalisations, though it must be noted he often makes no sense at all.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Great start! I like it. :)

Contructive criticism: the perspective is a bit strange: the legs look like they're the same distance away from the viewer, but the position of the hips shows that they are not, the left leg is closer. Also, you would probably benefit from looking at anatomy studies of humans and canines to get a feel for the more complex parts.
Trace
Snep's Best Doggo

Post by Trace »

Thanks! I appreciate it!
I will agree that my perspective is a little off. I've had some issues with that in the past too.
I've had a little experience with human anatomy, between taking an intro drawing class and failing an anatomy class a couple times (that lab was killer, and part of the reason I became vegetarian, lol). I will concede that I could always use more practice though, and could certainly stand to look at more canine anatomy.
"I change shapes just to hide in this place, but I'm still, I'm still an animal" -Miike Snow, 'Animal'
Nasheera

Post by Nasheera »

Love the overall design and colour. Keep at it!*
Trace
Snep's Best Doggo

Post by Trace »

Thank you! :3
Sudan Red
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Lion

Post by Sudan Red »

That is a very good start! Your proportions are getting on well & aside from the perspective issue, you have done well. The design is simple - which is something I love! I would just suggest practice, practice, practice to continue on your solid basic knowledge.
Trace
Snep's Best Doggo

Post by Trace »

Thanks! I agree that I mostly need lots of practice. To that end, I attempted another drawing last night:
download/file.php?mode=view&id=7456
It has a few issues, but I thought it turned out fairly well for the most part. I will say that I think I got the fur coloration closer to where I wanted it in the first one.
Would love to hear any thoughts!
Attachments
Trace Smile.jpg
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Snow Leopard

Post by Adagio »

Trace wrote:Thanks! I agree that I mostly need lots of practice. To that end, I attempted another drawing last night:
download/file.php?mode=view&id=7456
It has a few issues, but I thought it turned out fairly well for the most part. I will say that I think I got the fur coloration closer to where I wanted it in the first one.
Would love to hear any thoughts!
Oh wow!!!

I LOOOVE the tooth sticking out thing!(It's a thing I really like... Hahahahaha!)
This looks really great!
Trace
Snep's Best Doggo

Post by Trace »

Adagio wrote: I LOOOVE the tooth sticking out thing!(It's a thing I really like... Hahahahaha!)
This looks really great!
Haha, thank you! (I really like it too, lol) I appreciate it!
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

Snaggletoofs are cool - no contest! :lol:

Most of the facial features are coming along just fine. I think you should concentrate on some nose studies for your next pic. The nose is currently somewhere between toony & realistic which is fine, but lacks 3 dimensional form. Let us know if you need some pointers on incorporating references into your art.
Trace
Snep's Best Doggo

Post by Trace »

Sudan Red wrote:Most of the facial features are coming along just fine. I think you should concentrate on some nose studies for your next pic. The nose is currently somewhere between toony & realistic which is fine, but lacks 3 dimensional form. Let us know if you need some pointers on incorporating references into your art.
Thank you! Yeah, the nose was a part I struggled with some, and snouts in general I seem to have trouble with. I did look at some pictures for reference while I was working on the drawing, but settled for a less realistic style to get a little closer to the look I wanted. I do see what you mean about it looking flat though.
As for pointers, yes please! Any general art advice is appreciated, really. Most of what I've done thus far has been a combination of using some of the few things I remember from art classes and just winging it, lol.
Nasheera

Post by Nasheera »

I'm really loving that shading! ^.^
Trace
Snep's Best Doggo

Post by Trace »

Thanks! :3
Trace
Snep's Best Doggo

Post by Trace »

Chloe wrote:I'm really loving that shading! ^.^
BTW, love your new avatar, Chloe. [Edit:] Your last avatar was great too though.
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian

Post by Raven Song »

that's really awesome dude! nicely done
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Trace
Snep's Best Doggo

Post by Trace »

Thank you! I appreciate it!
Fii
Region: Western Cape

Post by Fii »

I love it! ^^ pssssh and you claim to "need practice" :p never in a million years could I draw like that.
Trace
Snep's Best Doggo

Post by Trace »

Fii wrote:I love it! ^^ pssssh and you claim to "need practice" :p never in a million years could I draw like that.
Well thank you! I'm always looking to improve, but I am really happy with the progress that I've made.
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

Just a little "draw-over" for the nose. The nose is basically a block/brick shape. You can see the flat upper bit demarcated by the stipples.
Attachments
Screenshot_20160812-164549.jpg
Trace
Snep's Best Doggo

Post by Trace »

Ooh. Thank you, that is pretty helpful. I'll probably come back to this the next time I'm working on it.
I attempted another drawing last night. I'm not completely happy with the way it turned out... The coloring in particular I didn't do a great job on... But there are a couple of details that I liked.
download/file.php?mode=view&id=7496
Attachments
=P.jpg
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

You are improving each time you do a drawing so just keep at it! :)
Trace
Snep's Best Doggo

Post by Trace »

Sudan Red wrote:You are improving each time you do a drawing so just keep at it! :)
Thank you! I plan to keep going for sure, so hopefully I can only get better! :D
Trace
Snep's Best Doggo

Post by Trace »

Did another drawing last night. It has some problems (the perspective and proportions are kind of off; plus bonus pen smudges), but I was fairly happy with it.
download/file.php?mode=view&id=7508
Attachments
Yo, Trace!.jpg
Badge
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Badgacat

Post by Badge »

I've been chatting to you a ton dude, and I have watched you grow and grow, keep practising man, keep learning. it's awesome to watch yourself go from strength to strength.
If you take your marker and connect this dot to that one, that one to this one here you will get a really annoyed dalmatian.

The European Badger (meles meles) is known to have a rather large range of vocalisations, though it must be noted he often makes no sense at all.
Trace
Snep's Best Doggo

Post by Trace »

I got a drawing tablet recently, and so I have been venturing into the realm of DIGITAL ART.
I've mostly been experimenting and getting used to doing things digitally. I just finished my first attempt at my fursona in this medium (also with clothes):
download/file.php?mode=view&id=7583 (Click to enlarge, if you so desire.)
It has its problems still, but I'm pretty happy with it for the most part. As always, constructive criticism is welcome.
Attachments
Trace Digital 1.png