The Untold Quest (Choose your own adventure)

Come in, relax, play with your friends! You can find something for everybody here. You can even find threads with no particular point at all, other than a good time! You can even start up some role playing.
Sticky_Fingers
Sexual preference: Bi-mostly gay
Species: brown bear
Region: Western Cape

The Untold Quest (Choose your own adventure)

Post by Sticky_Fingers »

This is an adventure in time travel, alternate realities, fantasy, magic, and furries. The story has certain goals that will be revealed or conceived as the story progresses. The options provided are suggestions and you are free to give your own suggestions back. The story will progress at least once a day but quicker if there are more then two or three comments on a post. Lets see how long we can do this. if you are interested, I can also attach images to each post to help people imagine the scene better. Please keep comments in brackets. Put this in role play as there is no other better place for it.

This is a story that was never written down in full. It was pieced together from various sources, some are admittedly not completely trustworthy. The story changes as time goes on, but the details have a funny way of being familiar. Let us start from the beginning:

In the beginning, the waters of the Earth were brimming with potential, waiting for the proverbial coin to drop, the die to be cast, or the greatest of miracles to occur. Something epic and dramatic. Whatever it was, on this occasion, something washed up on the shore. Something alien, and furry, and smelling of wet dog.

It stirred. What did it do next?

1. Get up and take a look around...
2. Cough up a fish...
3. Dry yourself off...
4. Continue to lay in the sand...
Just your average internet denizen with a strange name and dreams of becoming a game developer. Catch me on FA: stickyfingers
rusted hydra
Cannibal
Sexual preference: Bi
Region: Gauteng

Re: The Untold Quest (Choose your own adventure)

Post by rusted hydra »

Option 4. Continue to lay in the sand...
It's best not to rush to get up after a hard night of partying
Dredge
Species: Rabbit

Post by Dredge »

Option 4
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Option 2; that's what I would do having just emerged from the ancient ocean.
Sticky_Fingers

Post by Sticky_Fingers »

[OPTION 4 WINS]
The figure stays face-down in the sand. The waves slowly washed over it, creating small trails under it as if trying to build a path onto the land. The figure coughed and seemed to regain some of its senses. Its body did a small check: legs, arms, tail, ears . Twitch ,twitch. They all seemed to be operational. With great effort, and some convincing from its brain, it opened its eyes.

The soft twinkle of a new day beamed over the glittering beach. The soft rustle and ebb of the sea seemed to grow louder with the regaining of consciousness. The entire scene was quite serene but also rather spartan. The horizon seemed to be just an extension of the beach, the only feature seeming to be endless sand.

The brain operates on a couple of levels. While the consciousness was struggling to try and find and define a better word for 'waking up', the rest of the brain thought it would be a good time to start getting some morning philosophical questions out of the way. Like: Who am I? Why am I here? And were can I find something to drink?. None of these questions seemed to have an answer. This disturbed the brain somewhat. Being unable to directly check at this moment in time, it began to fill in the blanks itself....

Who and what am I?
Just your average internet denizen with a strange name and dreams of becoming a game developer. Catch me on FA: stickyfingers
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

My name is Marlukah, I am an amphibious lionfish/wolf hybrid from an underwater society of merfurries, and I have just been exiled to land for a crime I did not commit, which I plan to rectify. [Did I just throw off the story completely?]
Sticky_Fingers

Post by Sticky_Fingers »

[Nope, you didn't spoil anything. I will see which of the stories seems the most plausible. I am trying to make this adventure vaguely humorous, so I might play some of the other stories off for laughs but I do take all the ideas seriously even though I have a 'story' already in mind. Can't wait to see what other people come up with]
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

rusted hydra
Cannibal

Post by rusted hydra »

Bard Titsinmoth, a corgi/fox cross. How did he end washing up onto this beach? Lets just say he learned a valuable lesson regarding dominatrices and pirates.
Sticky_Fingers

Post by Sticky_Fingers »

[Would have preferred more replies to work with.]

The figure on the beach felt its brain working hard. It had began to imagine possible scenarios of how it came to be on this barren shore, face down and snorting sand...

"My name is Marlukah, I am a proud hybrid creature, a wondrous mixture of aquatic fauna and land-breathing beast. My wonderful webbed paws and streamlined form make the purrr-fect undersea predator. I was the best warrior of my tribe even, and would have stayed that way if my backstabbing brother didn't ambush me during a hunt and killed my subordinates. The worst blow being that he framed me for their deaths. I was horribly beaten, stripped of all my honor, and cast to shore as an exile. Now I plot my revenge and...err..."

The thought stops...something didn't feel right about it. The brain didn't remember having webbed appendages, and remembers having quite the difficult time underwater, not being able to breath at all.

The brain decided to give the back-story another go...

"I am a traveling bard. The most magnificent and skilled minstrel am I. Also, I now think in rhyme, how on earth did I forget?

The tale of my journey at night begun,
At a small smokey inn I doth rest,
There recant I legends best sung,
of heroes whom monsters didst best.

But mine drink was befouled by evil paws,
I had scarcely drunk at all , mind a muddle,
Baffled by silent steps and muffled caws,
stole me away, through a drunken huddle.

Oh woe, it was later when I had risen,
chains on my life, tears on my face,
I wept, to have spent countless days driven,
pirates so cruel, whipped in my place.

But the Gods raged and brought their end,
The deeps swelled and had its revenge,
the guilty grabbed their flesh to rend,
I escaped as a mercy, free again.

I am Titsinmoth, a survivor and...
Wait! Hold that thought. My name, it sounds kind of like...err No! This is not right either. Plus we do not have chains on and probably couldn't carry a tune if our life depended on it. Also the sea was the wrong colour, this one was a kind of red and brown. Like tea. This is all just wrong."

The figure coughed and inhaled, arms moving painfully and stiffly. The brain did a spinning lurch, philosophy and inner debate seemed to be ending. It's brain decided to attach the pronoun He to itself as it felt like it could be male but felt unsatisfied at not having found anything out at all. He really couldn't remember anything at all. His brain began to pity itself.

He felt like a hundred year old man. Every action was a mental challenge but he managed to prop himself up. He felt the cool wind tussle his fur. He had woken with a feeling of dread and foreboding. Somewhere in the back of his mind he knew that something dreadful had just happened to him and he was lucky to be alive. He put a paw to his forehead and tried to steady his legs that were wobbling horribly. He noticed that his fur was a black colour. The word 'was' is used here loosely as right now he was covered head to toe in gray sand.

He made retching sounds as he felt like he had swallowed some of the sand and sea water. To help cope with things he started to move out of the range of the waves to sit on the dryer and warmer part of the beach. The horizon was still just sand dunes all the while the sun was floating high in the sky baking his fur. Still, he put his arms around his legs and shivered.

Eventually, he put his head sideways on his knees to rest it, his pointy ears flicked and twitched as they drained some captured water from inside. He felt kind of lonely too. Was he all alone? He say and pondered , with the gentle rushing sound from millions and millions of tiny grains of sand rustling.

His eyes were getting a little droopy again, the suns reflection on the wet part of the beach was glaring.

He noticed something.

There were holes or rather, depressions in the sand. They looked just like...paw prints. Near the depressions, something glinted brightly. Something silver. What should you do now?

1. Investigate footprints and shiny thing.
2. Rest for a while, someone might find you and rescue you
3. You are definitely a lionfish/wolf hybrid and should run into the ocean again and get your revenge.
4. Build a sandcastle
Last edited by Sticky_Fingers on Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:46 am, edited 8 times in total.
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

Weeeell, you've set the stage and peaked my interest, so #1 :P
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Oh myyyyy this is getting interesting, I must go with the obvious answer #1 here. :P
rusted hydra
Cannibal

Post by rusted hydra »

#4.
Build it for shelter, we need a place to retreat to when things go bad
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

Dredge wrote:Weeeell, you've set the stage and peaked my interest, so #1 :P
[Flip, this is why I hate rushing replies XD
'Peaked' should be 'piqued' -_-]

[Also, these foot/paw prints should be of a Hork Bajir-like anthro race which stores power in silver amulets shaped to each members personal symbol or something and the character takes it..leading to unforseen consequences! :twisted: ]
/2c
Sticky_Fingers

Post by Sticky_Fingers »

[This part should move a bit faster so I am going to move the plot along. OPTION 1 WINS]
With a small groan, he picks himself up and pads carefully along the wet sand to the paw prints. You tell yourself that if you didn't know what fresh tracks was before, these were defiantly the freshest you have seen as they had yet to be washed away by the waves. Although your feeling of loneliness was subsiding somewhat, the more maddening feeling of the unknown was eating into the back of your mind. Luckily the shiny object was there to distract you.

You pick it up.

**You get the Swissinator 5000**

The object is much like a flat piece of thick metal but has some kind of red paint with a little white plus sign on each side. It was no bigger then his paw. The object was pretty heavy despite its size and gives off a very faint hum. On the one side of the device was a circle that looked just the right size for a thumb. After some pressing on the shiny silver sides with his claws and getting no result, he contemplates throwing the object away.

The day sun is still high and despite being half drowned, your feel you have enough energy for exploring. What should you do with it?

1. Yell "Open Sesame" at the odd object, if that fails, stare at it for an hour and see if it does anything new.
2. Throw it into the ocean and see how far it skips. Then get your inner hunter on with those tracks.
3. Keep it, whatever, cant hurt to have something to hold while you follow the tracks.
4. Put your thumb on the circle and hope something happens.
5. use it like a harmonica
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

I vote #4.
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

YeeeAah
I'm going with Leeward, again XD

#4, plox ^_^
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Curiosity over urgency. :3
Sticky_Fingers

Post by Sticky_Fingers »

[again, so few people. I will stop complaining about it now. Option 4 WINS]

He holds the red and silver object flat on his hand and carefully puts his thumb against the circle on the side of it. The device whirs and beeps, the circle glows with blue light, and then after a rather rude sounding beep, the circle turns red. It seems that it does not like this finger.

Being a smart guy, he repeated the procedure with all of the fingers. Of course, he couldn't possibly know that he was lacking a DNA match to the object.

After monkeying around with the object some more he noticed that someone had scratched their name or something onto the metal. It read TIM. He wondered if this was this was the previous owner.

He shrugged and decided it would be best to stop mucking about and follow the now "less" fresh tracks.

**You proceed towards the desert of genesis**

You walk in the midday sun, the coat of sand on your fur lessened to more of a stubble due to the slight desert wind. The sun was not very intense but it was still making you feel more dehydrated. You hoped that the tracks were leading you somewhere good...

...another sand dune crossed. This was probably the hundredth one. The trail of pawprints had blown away already and you were just continuing along in a straight line. The sun was giving its final bit of light as the same slight wind that had provided a little relief now was becoming quite cold. You hoped something would turn up...

...your walking is more of a crawl now, as your reaching the top of yet another dune. You shiver, you can see your breath. You had been crossing the sands in the light of the moon. This was getting rather desperate now. Your legs felt like they were burning and the sweat from the exertion was like trails of ice running down your body. You cleared the top of the dune only to find more on the horizon. You yell in frustration....

...you wake up, your neck is sore. You had tumbled down one of the dunes. Your head had hit something solid. The dune had been really steep, this one even seemed to be blocking the light from the moon. It was really dark. You groaned and felt around. You could feel some kind of rock. You walk forwards a bit and hear a loud metallic CLANG as your head hits into something. This does not cause your memory to come back.

It does however seem to trigger a small light to go on nearby. Its a faint red colour but illuminating enough for you to make out the metal wall next to you. The surface was a dull gray and seemed to have white squares dotted around it. Some of the white squares had fallen off. The metal wall kept going for quite a while to his left and to his right but a lot of it seemed to be buried under sand. It made you wonder just how big the structure was.

The light seemed to be illuminating a hatchway into the metal structure. It was also illuminating bits of jagged metal strewn around the dark ditch. They all looked pointy and very dangerous. You wondered how on earth you did not somehow impale yourself on one of them. There seemed to be some smaller domes of metal sticking out in various places with additional hatchways.

You wondered what to do next. He figured he would need to do a few things first before checking out the illuminated hatchway.

[you guys can choose two options, first one being more important then the second. Top two win]
1. Investigate the surrounding debris more closely
2. Search for the footprints
3. Take a closer look at the smaller domes
4. Check for traps
5. See if you can make a makeshift weapon out of the sharp metal
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

The footprints faded out earlier, it seems unlikely that there would be a trap when there is already a huge wall in the way (more likely the debris is from something that exploded), and it would be pointless to make a weapon when alone, so I'd say #1 and #3.
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

I like where this is going :)
...aaand once again Leeward heads in the right direction :P

If two options be available, then yes, #1 + #3
If not, then #1 ;)
Sticky_Fingers

Post by Sticky_Fingers »

[Heh, remember, the options are just suggestions. Then again there is not much to do yet. OPTIONS 1 and 3 WIN]

He moves through the dark space carefully, making sure not to snag on the debris. He fiddles with the object in his hands again and realizes that if he keeps his thumb just outside of the circle, the circles light turns on. After a few frustrated attempts to get it to work as a torch, he find the sweet spot. He points it down at the floor and finds navigating the dark valley a lot easier. The lack of wind was a little unnerving as his breath echoed between the metal structures. This caused him to turn and check that he was indeed still alone.

Along the ground, there still was not much newer to investigate. He decided to look at some of the bigger pieces of metal debris with his makeshift torch. The one side of the metal seemed to be smooth while the inside seemed to have small wires coming out of it. Some where long enough that he considered pulling a piece or two off. He tugged on the piece of metal but it seemed to be buried quite deep.

He moved along, slowly picking his way through the wreckage towards the domes. The illuminated door was basically on the opposite side of the clearing but still close enough that this little venture wouldn't waste too much time.

As he approached the domes, he could hear a faint hum of electricity from them. He saw that the metal domes were made of the same metal as the larger wall. The were about five times his size and pretty much exactly as wide as they were tall. There were three in total. The biggest difference being that they were a different colour to the big wall. You assume there are probably more deep in the sand.

The domes seemed to have some kind of numbers and letters on each. The closest one was labeled "Esc 105". The next was labled "Esc 108" and the last one was curiously labeled "GP 4"

He poked at the base of the first dome he encountered. The dome curved back at the bottom a little. Perhaps it was round underneath too...making it a sphere? He pushed against the dome with his paws. It was not budging. It would take days to shovel it out and the hatch was clearly on the surface anyway.

You shuffled nervously to the front of the big metal orb. The hatchway seemed drawn on at first as it was perfectly flush with the rest of the rounded contour but the breaks in the metal around the square shape seemed to indicate that it was indeed a door. You politely rap the back of your paw against the metal. Nothing happens. You don't try to wedge your claws next to the hatch as it didn't appear that anything at all could fit into the insanely narrow opening next to the doors. There does seem to be another one of those circles in the middle of the hatch. You push against it with your paw and similar to your makeshift light, this one lights up, buzzes, and goes red with a rude BEEP.

The door also has a small window to look inside but its completely dark inside so there is no point. Never the less you do it anyway and knock a few times on the door for good measure. All this serves to do is makes some sand trails slide down from the top of the orb and scare you half to death.

You travel to the next Orb and find it more featureless. Seems the hatch for this one is buried under the sand. The underside of the orb was facing to the sky. You noticed it had a darker colour and looked like it had been burnt by something. There were also squares along the perimeter that seemed might open. This was all conjecture and you found the second orb to be rather boring.

The last orb held some potential. It had a slightly different colour to the previous two that wasn't obvious until now. This one also had an exposed hatchway and circle on the door. You touched the circle.

Something clicked.

The circle turned off.

Something buzzed and beeped. There was a suction noise as the hatch opened. A dim light flickered inside and finally turned on. The hatch was actually surprisingly thick and the hatch's opening deep, being about an entire arm length in measure.

You are not sure why this circle reacted to your paw but it did make you realize that you were somehow connected to this giant orb. The thought sent a chill down your spine. Your brain was rushing to put answers together for those philosophical questions posed by your brain earlier and simultaneously deal with trying to survive. Questions like: Why did this one open and not the others? Am I an alien, because clearly this is alien technology. Also, does that mean I am on another planet? If I just crashed, why did no one find me? Why am I alone?

After standing like an idiot for several minutes, he finally musters up the courage to explore inside.

The inside of the pod was not a representation of its former glory. The walls had dented, it had been pierced through from ceiling to the floor. It looked like someone had shot a giant bullet right through it.

On closer inspection, it appeared as if the dome had two areas. He was currently on the upper area. He could see the lower one through a hole in the floor but it was too dark to make out anything more then that at a glance. The top area had one seat and harnesses in the middle suspended from the ceiling that seemed to have been missed in whatever tore through the orb. There were also strange white or yellow boxes laying scattered around in the room with gibberish writing on them.

He wondered what he should check first:

1. Sit in the chair and act like the captain of your own ship before you do anything else
2. Try to see whats in the lower compartment first.
3. Whats in the box! WHATS IN THE BOOOOOX.
4. prop up some boxes and climb through the ceiling, because why not.
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

Well boxes can often be full of nothingness..
..but sometimes they can be filled with INCREDIBLE AND UNTOLD SECRETS!!
WHAT'S IN THE BOX!!!?

Followed by playing captain
#ChildhoodMemories :P

[(Activating a heads up display in front of the character with shaking and sparks flying, lights come on, revealing clear signs of a gun battle withdrew skeletons strewn across the corridors
Lel
If it fits :P)]
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Lower compartment (which might hold cargo or food/drink), then captain. Hopefully this thing has an AI that can refresh your memory.
Sticky_Fingers

Post by Sticky_Fingers »

[Ok well I think I waited long enough. Option one wins. (derp, I didn't clarify that I only really needed one option picked this time. Will mention the other stuff minorly)]

He eyes the chair in the middle of the domed room. His inner captain calls to him. Walking confidently, he strides up to the chair and sits down slowly, raising his hands in deliberately slow arcs to place them on the arm rests. He leans his chin on one paw and ponders.

This is really silly.

He resumes a more normal pose and starts looking at the chair for obvious buttons and such but again it only has circles on each of the pads. He shrugged. If it worked once, surely it would work again? He faced a moment of doubt as he touched the circles with his paws.

The circle flared red and the chair became electrified, killing him in the process.

Wait , no. That didn't happen. Of course it worked, but maybe getting onto strange chairs is something you should be more cautious about. O, never mind. Your already dying to play with the controls on it aren't you.

He had spaced out for a while in his minor daydream. His daydreams were often strange like this and narrated.

The circle impression on the arm rest had illuminated. Silver gel spilled out from the sides of the circle and formed a kind of malleable blob on each side.

This caused you to freak the hell out.

Eventually you realized it was the controls for, something. Actually, you now began to notice that the dome around you had gone dark and small lights were flaring across it, bringing up words, square shaped things with words inside and lots of images that seemed to be actual locations. The images waved and distorted near the hole in the ceiling but the rest of the dome seemed to be functioning.

You make "hmm" sounds. You poke and slide and grope the blob around , causing various of the views to either spin violently, zoom in and out, or a bunch of words to race across the bottom of the screen saying important things, you think.

This all actually seems a lot less intuitive then you originally expected. Almost like you actually needed a proper idea what this thing actually did. You decided the best thing to do would be to try and find out. You get off the chair and decide to explore further. Curiously, the chair remains active while your off it, the silver goo slides off the chair and follows you around, staying just far enough behind as not to get in your way.

You spend a few minutes running away from them. Eventually you run outside the domed structure. The lights switch back on and the silver balls (with a small whine) head back to the chair before the chair seems to switch back off.

You catch your breath outside but eventually the sheer boredom and the strange "homely-ness" of the dome made you go back inside. The chair did not reactivate. You decide to go and check the lower level, now that the light is back on.

You move to the hole in the floor and peer down. The light from the upper dome was illuminating dozens more of the boxes you had seen above. You guessed that they were stored down here originally. Some of the boxes has been punched through and their contents were strewn across the floor. The contents were nothing special to look at, they were cubes of varying colours. You decide its safe enough to head down and take a look. You aim for a spot of floor not occupied by boxes and land perfectly, your tail doing a small whip around to stabilize you on the curved surface.

The room was rather confusing. The curved floor was exactly the same as the roof of the previous room. You wondered if the aliens could walk upside down because this room seemed to have all the things worth looking at on the roof. This whole setups looked stupid. Luckily, the boxes were piled on top of each other and it was not too difficult to survey some of the things.

He decides to get his priorities straight first. He bends over and picks up a small cube. It is yellow coloured. You inspect it in the light, then sniff it, then...pop it in your mouth? That's the stupidest thing you could....hey. Its TASTEY! You immediately drop to the floor and start popping every type of cube you could find in your mouth.

After a while you simply lay against the boxes and gasp with relief, patting your belly. You had not realized how hungry you had been. You also found the cubes to be interesting in themselves. The light blue ones had melted in his mouth and turned to water. The brown ones tasted really spongy. The green ones were the worst, kind of a plain taste. His favorites where the red ones that tasted even sweeter then the yellow ones.

You relax a little and start to eye all the boxes again. You would definitely be opening them all. You began to notice a light in the corner. There was a large yellow cube on top of the boxes. It looked larger then the rest of the boxes and much shinier. Feeling kind of drunk and a bit cocky, he started to climb up to fetch it. The box had a circle on the side. On instinct you put your paw to the side of the yellow cube. Then the cube started to shake. You yelp and tumble backwards.

The cube shook more vigorously and something clanked and rapped inside of the cube. This was charmingly odd until the metal started denting from the inside out.

You practically walked up the domes walls on your fast climb to get out and up to the top area. The sound of boxes tumbling below you. Soon you are outside the dome again and hiding behind some of the larger wreckage.

Nothing happens.

You remind yourself to be a little less brave, you pansy.

As you stand outside, you weigh up your options.

1. Go back inside and show them what for!
2. Go check out the illuminated hatchway and forget the dome ever existed.
3. Call out "Marko"
4. Now we can make that weapon?
Franky
The Bad Guy
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Mortally Challenged Fox

Post by Franky »

Option #4

Don't want another weird surprise without the capability to defend myself in some way.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

I vote option 2, since the pod wasn't very useful to learn from, and he's already fed and watered.
Sticky_Fingers

Post by Sticky_Fingers »

[OPTION 2 wins. Since it was a tie, I used a random number generator]

He decides he has had enough of the shenanigans of the domes and heads down towards the other hatchway. Clearly this was the right path to take. Never the less, he peered back over his shoulder just in case. The domes stay silent.

After carefully picking his way across the stubble like landscape, he stands in front of the hatchway. This one seemed to be different to the rest. There seemed to be an actual handle to turn on the outside. The handle was a small bar over a depression in the metal inside of a larger circle that looked like it could rotate. The red light made the hatch seem rather intimidating. He plucks up his courage and puts his paw onto the handle and attempts to turn it.

It's stuck. The crash or perhaps being exposed to all this sand seems to have seized it up. He looked blankly at the handle and sighed.

Looks like he would have to devise a plan to get it open.

1. Search for something useful nearby that could be used to jam in the handle and force it open.
2. Search for some kind of lubricant back at the domes.
3. Continue searching the structure, maybe there is another hatch or a way in.
4. Try and smash your way in.
Attachments
Option 2 wins
Option 2 wins
random.png (1.7 KiB) Viewed 3522 times
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Option #1, sometimes things are just stuck and need brute force to open because it's shut too tight to put any sort of lubricant in the thread (if there is one). Pop that hatch like a pickle jar.

(#2 would be an elegant solution, but might not work.)
(#3 is doubtful judging by the size of the hatch, but I could be wrong.)
(#4 is so uncouth, and if the hatch needs to be closed again you've eliminated that option.)
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

Yeah, do some digging for something to use as leverage, since there's so much wreckage strewn about ^^