Halloween prep - Skullcat

Got a fursuit to show off? Want advice on how to make one or where to get one? Feel the need to share pictures of your new wolf T-shirt? What about cute plushie or pair of fluffy ears? This is the place.

Moderator: YoteFox

Sudan Red
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Lion
Region: Gauteng

Halloween prep - Skullcat

Post by Sudan Red »

Hokay! Count down to Halloween has officially started. I want to do something with this MissMonster mask I've had laying around for 2years.

The mask is preeeeetty rough and will need a lot of prep before I can get to the fun stuff. I plan on adding a hood & maybe a ruff of feathers, but we'll see how quickly I can get the prep & painting done. Would you guys be interested in following my progress?

Also, any ideas for a name? :)
Attachments
Such a bad finish on the inside...
Such a bad finish on the inside...
SHARP edges! Yikes!
SHARP edges! Yikes!
20161014_215709.jpg
CyntheWightRabbit

Re: Halloween prep - Skullcat

Post by CyntheWightRabbit »

Sure. I'd love to see your progress in making this. I'm not very good with names, so I can't really give my input there... but do keep us updated.
Sarcasm in the lowest form of wit.
Trace
Snep's Best Doggo
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Wolfdog/Shapeshifter
Region: Other

Post by Trace »

Ooh, that already looks awesome!
I wish I had a mask like that... I'll be looking forward to seeing you do more with it!
As for a name... Well, being a huge X-Files fan, I'll have to suggest Scully first. :P But feel free to ignore me there.
Other ideas: Whisper, Night, Silence, Willow, Luna, Shade... I could probably come up with a few more if you'd like.
"I change shapes just to hide in this place, but I'm still, I'm still an animal" -Miike Snow, 'Animal'
"Where there's life, there's hope."-Terence
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

Hahaha! I completely thought of Scully too!!! Because we're nerds like that! :lol:
Nasheera

Post by Nasheera »

That looks epic! How about Kaiju? It means monster!
Trace
Snep's Best Doggo

Post by Trace »

Nerd life 4 ever! :P
"I change shapes just to hide in this place, but I'm still, I'm still an animal" -Miike Snow, 'Animal'
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

How about... Skullcat? :lol:
Cape_F0X
Light-footed
Species: Vulpes chama
Region: Western Cape

Post by Cape_F0X »

Mittens?!
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

Leeward wrote:How about... Skullcat? :lol:
OH THE LULZ! Only reason is that the cast/series was called skullcat, so it would be like calling your new baby "Human" (which is oddly completely acceptable in Afrikaans and makes this a bad - yet hilarious - example).
Cape_F0X wrote:Mittens?!
If I can get everything done, this kitty won't have cute mittens!

How does Ramaja sound?

(For those of you too young to know the reference - https://youtu.be/aTckAD8bpMY)
YoteFox
Species: Arctic Sabre Fox

Post by YoteFox »

OH MY GAWSH I just remembered I never got back to you on that question you asked me 0.0
Got so busy these passed few weeks, I'll get back to you on that question in pm asap.

Anyways I'm quite curious to see what you're gonna do with it, I see a lot of fursuiters make a fur back side "hood" then where the fur matches up with the skull they put red paint as if to replicate gore. I don't know what you're final idea of it is but it may be something to consider though I wouldn't recommend using it as a fursuit then hahahaha.

I think if you want to go for something grim reaperish you might want to check out using black polar fleece as a hood effect on it.
I'd rather be fursuiting

Suit up and it will make you feel better
- Pepper Coyote

People get built different. We don't need to figure it out, we just need to respect it. Maybe he likes his company more than I like mine - Princess Bubblegum
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

One quick thing I want to comment on... If you're concerned about realism, you may want to consider that ears are made of cartilage, not bone, and therefore a skeleton has no ears. See real cat skull here. However, since you're going to work extensively on this blank, you can use the fact that it has ears to your advantage. For example, you can cover them with the fur you use for the hood, or paint them to blend in with the flesh-covered part of the head.
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

YoteFox wrote:OH MY GAWSH I just remembered I never got back to you on that question you asked me 0.0
Got so busy these passed few weeks, I'll get back to you on that question in pm asap.

Anyways I'm quite curious to see what you're gonna do with it, I see a lot of fursuiters make a fur back side "hood" then where the fur matches up with the skull they put red paint as if to replicate gore. I don't know what you're final idea of it is but it may be something to consider though I wouldn't recommend using it as a fursuit then hahahaha.

I think if you want to go for something grim reaperish you might want to check out using black polar fleece as a hood effect on it.
Hahaha don't worry! You were busy - that's life! :) I've done some reading & hopefully I am ready to tackle this project.

Due to the woeful lack of suitable fur locally, I intend to make this more of a so-called masquerade mask rather than a fursuit head. I want to go for a spirit-y look so I am planning on adding a feather ruff in blue & brown with a blue hood in linen/rough material. For the sake of vision, I will keep the eyeholes clear for now - just going to do black make-up around my eyes.

It needs extensive padding on the inside to make it comfortable - what kind of foam & fabric do you suggest? Also any ideas on what to use to patch up small holes/bubbles in the resin?
Leeward wrote:One quick thing I want to comment on... If you're concerned about realism, you may want to consider that ears are made of cartilage, not bone, and therefore a skeleton has no ears. See real cat skull here. However, since you're going to work extensively on this blank, you can use the fact that it has ears to your advantage. For example, you can cover them with the fur you use for the hood, or paint them to blend in with the flesh-covered part of the head.
The ears are actually my favourite part of the mask and is what prompted me to get it in the first place. If you mess up the ears on a mask, the entire thing looks ick imo. The project will likely lean towards a masquerade style mask rather than a realistic fursuit. I'm going to dry brush the everloving crap out of this to blend it in with the ruff & hood. Worst that happens is that it doesn't look good & I reprime/repaint it. :)
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

Apologies for doubleposting!

Yesterday was a trying day so I went to bum around Habby Hyper & the craft shop. I picked up some fabric & feathers for the hood. Going for warm brown & sage green for the colour scheme.
Got that sage green "frizzly" fabric. It is soft, breathable & looks spooky imo
Got that sage green "frizzly" fabric. It is soft, breathable & looks spooky imo
The sage fading to brown feathers went into my basket! The feathers were a bit too short so I doubled up & got some longer plain warm brown feathers.
The sage fading to brown feathers went into my basket! The feathers were a bit too short so I doubled up & got some longer plain warm brown feathers.
Examples of the longer feathers
Examples of the longer feathers
I also got sage green, warm brown & bone white for basecoats & dry brushing. Still need to get varnish.
SilverFox12578
Species: Grey Fox

Post by SilverFox12578 »

Oh that's going to look awesome!! :D
I can't wait to see how it looks when it's finished!
-Be Crazy
-Be Weird
-Be Awesome
-Be Yourself :)

Telegram: @Silverfox12578. YouTube: SilverFox. Deviantart: Silverfox12578.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

How heavy do you think that this is going to end up being?
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

SilverFox12578 wrote:Oh that's going to look awesome!! :D
I can't wait to see how it looks when it's finished!
I hope I can push through!
Sev wrote:How heavy do you think that this is going to end up being?
Not gonna lie - this thing is already heavier than normal blanks because of the ears & details on the face. I hope I can make it bearable with good elastic & foam support but I doubt it will be wearable for hours on end. We'll see!
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Sudan Red wrote:Not gonna lie - this thing is already heavier than normal blanks because of the ears & details on the face. I hope I can make it bearable with good elastic & foam support but I doubt it will be wearable for hours on end. We'll see!
You'd be surprised — my fursuit head is relatively heavy because of the horns and sculpted nose, but the weight didn't bother me anywhere near as much as the heat.
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian

Post by Raven Song »

I'm envious of your skull. I want a skull for Halloween so am ending up making a paper Mache mess at the moment... if it comes out looking anything like how I want it too that'll be great... if it doesn't I will be grumpy.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic
Species: Necrobat

Post by Contrast »

I made a paper maché mask for school once. It exploded into fungus that poured out of its eyes and mouth. Looked kinda cool, actually. I'm just glad I got the marks before that happened. :lol:
Read my novel on: SoFurry | Fur Affinity | Deviant Art
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

Leeward wrote:
Sudan Red wrote:Not gonna lie - this thing is already heavier than normal blanks because of the ears & details on the face. I hope I can make it bearable with good elastic & foam support but I doubt it will be wearable for hours on end. We'll see!
You'd be surprised — my fursuit head is relatively heavy because of the horns and sculpted nose, but the weight didn't bother me anywhere near as much as the heat.
I have a completed resin fursuit head as well and that thing is a freaking sauna inside!
RavenSong wrote:I'm envious of your skull. I want a skull for Halloween so am ending up making a paper Mache mess at the moment... if it comes out looking anything like how I want it too that'll be great... if it doesn't I will be grumpy.
I wanted to make a paper mache one too but apparently I don't have 3D sculpting abilities. ^__^; I got this one on pre-order, but the more I work with it, the more I realise what a slapdash job the casting was. It is taking a LOT of prep to get all the flash & gunk off. It has thick bits immediately adjacent to paperthin bits. I'm going to see if I can reinforce with some two part putty/epoxy. You should start a thread for your project - I'd love to see!!
Contrast wrote:I made a paper maché mask for school once. It exploded into fungus that poured out of its eyes and mouth. Looked kinda cool, actually. I'm just glad I got the marks before that happened. :lol:
That.... sounds so freaking cool!!! :D Perfect for Halloween inspiration!
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Contrast wrote:I made a paper maché mask for school once. It exploded into fungus that poured out of its eyes and mouth. Looked kinda cool, actually. I'm just glad I got the marks before that happened. :lol:
:shock:
~note to self~
DON'T let Contrast make you any kind of Paper maché masks...
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic
Species: Necrobat

Post by Contrast »

I think it happened because I layered it on too thick, which meant that it couldn't dry out in time, so I had to resort to baking it in the oven like rusks the day before it was supposed to be handed in, and that meant there was still some moisture between the layers, turning my mask into a ticking fungus time bomb.
Read my novel on: SoFurry | Fur Affinity | Deviant Art
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

Contrast wrote:I think it happened because I layered it on too thick, which meant that it couldn't dry out in time, so I had to resort to baking it in the oven like rusks the day before it was supposed to be handed in, and that meant there was still some moisture between the layers, turning my mask into a ticking fungus time bomb.
Yeah, you're supposed to mix some salt into your paper mache paste or paper clay to prevent fungus growth. And of course, allow your project to dry completely before painting & sealing in the moisture... ;) You live, you learn!
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian

Post by Raven Song »

I gave up for reasons, I then tried to find a skull to buy online. I don't has the money for that.

I will retry again at some other point...
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

RavenSong wrote:I gave up for reasons, I then tried to find a skull to buy online. I don't has the money for that.

I will retry again at some other point...
The prices are crazy right? :( I am STILL prepping this mask. It is in ridiculously bad shape!
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

I've reached the "Perfect or Finished" stage of my project! ^__^; Skully had a bath to remove any gunk or dust & she is now waiting for her second coat of primer!
rps20161026_202226.jpg
rps20161026_202304.jpg
rps20161026_202341.jpg
Trace
Snep's Best Doggo

Post by Trace »

Sith Nadir wrote:I've reached the "Perfect or Finished" stage of my project! ^__^; Skully had a bath to remove any gunk or dust & she is now waiting for her second coat of primer!
rps20161026_202226.jpg
rps20161026_202304.jpg
rps20161026_202341.jpg
Looking awesome!
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

Skully is now completely covered in the first coat of the sage green that I started doing here. Don't worry! She's not going camo - just need a dark colour to dry brush over.
rps20161027_070833.jpg
When I get home, I'll do a second coat of sage green. I'll attach the elastics at this stage & let them cure a while. Then I can start with the bone white (fitting name!!!) & the warm brown dry brush
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Sexual preference: Gay

Post by Sev »

Sounds as though you're painting tabletop models. Where's the gore red? :P
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

Highside wrote:Sounds as though you're painting tabletop models. Where's the gore red? :P
HAHAHA! I reckon the materials & methods are pretty much the same! Tabletop models sound waaaaay more fiddly though!

Started on my drybrushing... this is gonna take a loooong time but I already see the potential here!
ALL GREEN!
ALL GREEN!
Drybrushing with bone white - layer one of ten million...
Drybrushing with bone white - layer one of ten million...