(Market research)What are you willing to pay for a fursuit

Got a fursuit to show off? Want advice on how to make one or where to get one? Feel the need to share pictures of your new wolf T-shirt? What about cute plushie or pair of fluffy ears? This is the place.

Moderator: YoteFox

[READ TEXT FIRST] In what range are you willing to spend on a partial suit

4000+
16%
5000+
31%
6000+
19%
7000+
6%
8000+
28%

Total votes: 32
YoteFox
Species: Arctic Sabre Fox

(Market research)What are you willing to pay for a fursuit

Post by YoteFox »

So I'm doing some market research on the demand for fursuits in our little community or at least the South African market. As most of you know I am looking into taking commissions, but before I can do so I need to see if it would be a feasible endeavor. I have worked out my costs and I have prices for what I would possibly charge.

So please take into consideration when answering these questions:
-This price is for a partial suit ( Head, hands, tail, feetpaws etc)
-The more colors your furry has the more the price will be
-The more complex it is the more the price will be
-This is for a basic toony head, no funny stuff (i.e moving jaw etc) Like my Vex's head.

Disclaimer: In no way does this obligate you to pay the amount stated in the polls, this is simply for research purposes so please answer as honestly as you can. Even if you don't have that class of money please tell me what a fursuit from me would be worth to you.

Or for any other amounts please leave a comment!!
I'd rather be fursuiting

Suit up and it will make you feel better
- Pepper Coyote

People get built different. We don't need to figure it out, we just need to respect it. Maybe he likes his company more than I like mine - Princess Bubblegum
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Gauteng

Re: (Market research)What are you willing to pay for a fursuit

Post by Adagio »

There is a lot of work that goes into something like that...

I would not be comfortable paying anything less than 6Grand...
I think R8K is a reasonable price for the kind of quality you provide...
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

I deliberately won't answer because not only did I also make my suit but I'm broke af right now so I wouldn't spend a cent on myself.
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Leeward wrote:I deliberately won't answer because not only did I also make my suit but I'm broke af right now so I wouldn't spend a cent on myself.
YoteFox wrote:Even if you don't have that class of money please tell me what a fursuit from me would be worth to you.
I think you of all people may be the BEST to answer...
rusted hydra
Cannibal
Sexual preference: Bi

Post by rusted hydra »

I would say 5k for a basic set like you described.

But if I made it myself I think I could make it for cheaper.

Now...

krugersdorp isnt too far from me so I was wondering what you would ask to just help make a suit?
Cause I can easily make the skeleton for my head and tail and wire everything up myself, even get material and sow up a basic body. but I am going to struggle with the hands and wrapping up the head.

I guess my question is more of something discussed over pm >x<
YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

Leeward wrote:I deliberately won't answer because not only did I also make my suit but I'm broke af right now so I wouldn't spend a cent on myself.
Essentially this is just an indicator of what seems a fair price price to ask for something like that especially considering our situation of exchange rate and fursuits not being the wisest choice to import monetarily. So just from speculation point of view a consumers Fair Value on a fursuit. Nothing is etched in stone, simply doing research.
Fido Ebbon wrote:I would say 5k for a basic set like you described.

But if I made it myself I think I could make it for cheaper.

Now...

krugersdorp isnt too far from me so I was wondering what you would ask to just help make a suit?
Cause I can easily make the skeleton for my head and tail and wire everything up myself, even get material and sow up a basic body. but I am going to struggle with the hands and wrapping up the head.

I guess my question is more of something discussed over pm >x<
Yeah I'd be more than willing to help ^.^ tis not that difficult
Adagio wrote:There is a lot of work that goes into something like that...

I would not be comfortable paying anything less than 6Grand...
I think R8K is a reasonable price for the kind of quality you provide...
R8k is quite allot of money for something like this, though I've seen very basic mascot suits like cheese suits which is essentially a big piece of foam covered in fabric go for R2500. Then again, R8k is more or less what you pay for just a head from an American suit maker.

Thanks all so far for your input, it's looking good so far!
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote

People get built different. We don't need to figure it out, we just need to respect it. Maybe he likes his company more than I like mine - Princess Bubblegum
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

YoteFox wrote:Then again, R8k is more or less what you pay for just a head from an American suit maker.
And I told you this before... Vex is EASILY on par with them!
YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

Adagio wrote:
YoteFox wrote:Then again, R8k is more or less what you pay for just a head from an American suit maker.
And I told you this before... Vex is EASILY on par with them!
There is still a few things I need to work on, smooth out skill wise.
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote

Randall
Species: Funambulus palmarum (Squirrel)

Post by Randall »

Region of 6k - 12k depending on options/accessories/etc probably closer to R20k
YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

Randall wrote:Region of 6k - 12k depending on options/accessories/etc probably closer to R20k
That being said, and thank you for bringing that up. There will be oh so many options to explore and extras, accessories etc to be added. Prices will go up with more accessories, colors, options etc.

But as I am in my own opinion still quite an adept fursuit maker as my skills improve over time with more commissions the prices will change, for instance if it takes me less time to finish a suit the price might go down. However what I am in the process of is determining a flat rate to be charged to all commissions of all natures.

Yes this market research is with reason, so as much as possible input negative or positive would be so much appreciated.
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote

Astro Fox
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Fox
Region: Freestate

Post by Astro Fox »

I would say that a good starting price will be 6k. Depending on Accessories and colors, the price can go higher :D
jacojerb
Species: bunny/fox

Post by jacojerb »

o.o my heart

I guess, maybe it is worth 6k+. I answered 4k+, simply because I can't possibly spend that much on it...

Maybe when I start earning more than R150 a day, my mind will change. It simply isn't worth 2 months salary for me... Even if it is technically worth it, in my mind, it just feels like a huge price...
Mew?
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

The question was not what can you afford... It was what is it worth...

I can not afford, for arguments sake, an alienware laptop.
That doesn't mean that they should reduce the price to suit my needs?
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

For what it's worth, I looked at a few fursuit builders' sites. Many only gave prices when asked but two did display prices and the cheapest was a partial fursuit starting at ~R22 000. Maybe they are the big, famous makers though so there could be cheaper ones but it's not bad to have an idea what others charge (and are paid).
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

Fursuits are ridiculously priced. Glad I have no desire for one.

R22k would be so much better spent on my car or computer IMO...
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Necrobat

Post by Contrast »

You're not just paying for the final product, though. You're also paying for the amount of time that went into creating it. Professional art commissions work the same way.
Read my novel on: SoFurry | Fur Affinity | Deviant Art
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sev »

Fluke wrote:Fursuits are ridiculously priced. Glad I have no desire for one.

Northern Ice Bear just told me that one of his friends spent $55k on his fuirsuit (which he said is cheap).
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Sev wrote:Northern Ice Bear just told me that one of his friends spent $55k on his fuirsuit (which he said is cheap).
That doesn't sound right. Most charge $2-3k for a full suit. As far as I know the most expensive fursuit ever made was only ~$14k.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Randall

Post by Randall »

I do think its in any case cheaper to make a fursuit stateside than what it is here. I recall the threads where people struggled to get faux fur imported and the astronomical cost of that.
jacojerb
Species: bunny/fox

Post by jacojerb »

Adagio wrote:The question was not what can you afford... It was what is it worth...

The question is "what are you willing to pay for a fursuit", not what is a fursuit worth...

If you're not willing to pay the price of an alienware, then you won't get an alienware. If you happen to see a shop that somehow magically sells a new alienware for the price you are willing to pay for it... Well, then you might get it
Mew?
YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

Contrast wrote:You're not just paying for the final product, though. You're also paying for the amount of time that went into creating it. Professional art commissions work the same way.
Yes, most people look past this and see a fursuit as a piece of clothing, it's not just the physical raw materials of the fursuit that makes up the price it's the amount of effort put into a fursuit and the amounts of detail and complexity of a fursuit that makes the price. A fursuit is a piece of art, a walking talking rendition of a fursuit makers perception of a given character. I'd say it being custom made is worth allot of money.
Randall wrote:I do think its in any case cheaper to make a fursuit stateside than what it is here. I recall the threads where people struggled to get faux fur imported and the astronomical cost of that.
Yes, since we no longer have fur makers in South Africa. However the same way the fur makers in South Africa was taken out of business is the same way I'm going to get my fur at cheaper prices than here in SA, so as for the availability of fur, the prices I have worked out above takes the importation and shipping of fur into consideration. Also this is better quality fur than what can be found here currently. Only shipping takes longer so the commission takes longer, but I think it's a fair trade off for better quality.
Fluke wrote:Fursuits are ridiculously priced. Glad I have no desire for one.

Yes they are ridiculously priced but what would you expect from an artist putting all his/her effort into making one of the most difficult crafts for someone willing to pay for his/her efforts. As someone who has made my own partial fursuit I know what the amount of effort is that goes into making one and if I don't get enough remuneration for my efforts I wouldn't put enough in to make a masterpiece and possibly dissatisfy my client so it's not about being greedy or money hungry. Think about it like this, if you had a job which you are overqualified to do and you got underpaid for all your efforts would you put more effort into that job or would you put the effort in to barely do that job? Just something to take into consideration ^.^
Most fursuit makers make a living off fursuits and there is only so many fursuits you can make a year so time is money.
Rakuen Growlithe wrote:For what it's worth, I looked at a few fursuit builders' sites. Many only gave prices when asked but two did display prices and the cheapest was a partial fursuit starting at ~R22 000. Maybe they are the big, famous makers though so there could be cheaper ones but it's not bad to have an idea what others charge (and are paid).
Price on request is usually given as to not scare people away hahahaha. Gad zooks and people are complaining that I want to sell a partial for under R10k

jacojerb wrote:
Adagio wrote:The question was not what can you afford... It was what is it worth...

The question is "what are you willing to pay for a fursuit", not what is a fursuit worth...

If you're not willing to pay the price of an alienware, then you won't get an alienware. If you happen to see a shop that somehow magically sells a new alienware for the price you are willing to pay for it... Well, then you might get it
The question is what are you willing to pay for my work. That analogy about the Alienware laptop seems interesting since it can go either way. The Alienware laptop that is more expensive obviously has more features hence the price difference, if I were to find a cheaper Alienware laptop I would certainly take it into consideration however I would compare which one is more worth it to buy.

Let me put this into perspective, after sales service for example. Let's say you find a cheaper maker than me in America or Canada or in Europe great stuff buy all means commission that maker. What would happen if your fursuit got damaged? Sure some fixes you can do yourself but other fixes will have to be done with a professional or rather trained hand. Lets say you decide to commission me for a fursuit, you damage your fursuit or it gets damaged whatever. I will fix it no questions asked, even if it is the smallest of damage. Just another thing to take into consideration ^.^
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote

Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Species: Werewolf

Post by Valerion »

Also, I am in favour of the community supporting local artists and makers. I would have considered something by Yote if I didn't have my suit in the queue for over 6 months now with an international maker.

Up until now we didn't really have a lot of people advertising it.
YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

Valerion wrote:Also, I am in favour of the community supporting local artists and makers. I would have considered something by Yote if I didn't have my suit in the queue for over 6 months now with an international maker.

Up until now we didn't really have a lot of people advertising it.
To be honest, it was all speculation up until I realised the amount of interest in my commissions. 6 Months ago I wouldn't even have considered doing commissions but I'm more confident now in my own skills.

Your suit is going to be epic, I can't wait to actually see it!
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote

Randall

Post by Randall »

Simple rule in life- you get what you pay for
Its like the running joke at the office where I am ragged repeatedly for having a Macintosh

The reality is, I got what I paid for- a really high performance unit.
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

Randall wrote:Simple rule in life- you get what you pay for
Its like the running joke at the office where I am ragged repeatedly for having a Macintosh

The reality is, I got what I paid for- a really high performance unit.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

"A really high performance unit."

What?
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

Hence my reaction image, lol.
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Fluke wrote:Hence my reaction image, lol.
He's talking about a Mackintosh!
"A high performance Unit" is a Mac...
Geez!
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Performance and Macintosh only belong in the same sentence when accompanied by a negative qualifier.
YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

I did a run to the supplier today to see if he is going to import fur again. Highly unlikely.
So I went online and got a reputable source for fur, the best at the best rates.

So I have a decent source for fur now however the prices are fucking mad to say the least. The exchange rate is killing the whole dream now. So I'll post a new poll with the new prices you can expect. It's not looking good.
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote