My attempt

Got a fursuit to show off? Want advice on how to make one or where to get one? Feel the need to share pictures of your new wolf T-shirt? What about cute plushie or pair of fluffy ears? This is the place.

Moderator: YoteFox

Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Re: My attempt

Post by Sev »

I thought that you're not supposed to wash fur suits?
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

You can, but very gently by hand, soaking in cold water with washing powder. Also they must dry flat otherwise they get deformed.
YoteFox
Species: Arctic Sabre Fox

Post by YoteFox »

As Leeward said, fursuits can be washed however never ever ever in a machine.

I use coldest setting on the hair dryer
I'd rather be fursuiting

Suit up and it will make you feel better
- Pepper Coyote

People get built different. We don't need to figure it out, we just need to respect it. Maybe he likes his company more than I like mine - Princess Bubblegum
Goldielover1015
Sexual preference: bi-mostly straight
Species: Dog

Post by Goldielover1015 »

Your fursuit looks amazing so far! Brilliant work!
YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

Goldielover1015 wrote:Your fursuit looks amazing so far! Brilliant work!
Thank you :D
Does mean allot
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote

People get built different. We don't need to figure it out, we just need to respect it. Maybe he likes his company more than I like mine - Princess Bubblegum
YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

So I washed the tail. I'm quite pleased with the results.
Attachments
Before
Before
After
After
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote

YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

UPDATE:
I have made quite immense progress on my suit, but I shall share when I'm done since I want to keep it a secret till I'm done
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote

KinkInZA
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Liger

Post by KinkInZA »

wow the tail looks great in these Photos.
“All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake up in the day to find it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
T.E. Lawrence
YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

KinkInZA wrote:wow the tail looks great in these Photos.
I know right!?

So imagine a whole fursuit with that lucious bouncy body filled fur, would look incredible imo.
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote

Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Ooh yes the matte finish looks so much nicer. Keen to see how the whole lot turns out.
Tocs
The glowing blue panda
Species: Husky
Region: Gauteng

Post by Tocs »

Wow that tail is awesome
For the most part, it is pointless to be sad in life.
Because sad spelt backwards is das
And das not good
Love every stranger, the stranger the better
The darker the night, the brighter I glow!
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Wow, that's a big difference.
YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

I wanted to keep this a suprise for when I'm done, but I couldn't contain myself any longer. After 2 days of painstaking work, a shot back and two fingers cut so deep I need to wear bandages to keep the blood from getting on the head.
I present to you, YoteFox 2.0

Still a work in progress, but it literally took me two days to get where I am now with it. I feel that this is quite an improvement from the first head. Allot and I mean allot of care and rational thoughts went into this one. I also learnt a bunch of new neat tricks.

It's not exactly how I wanted it to turn out, but my aims was set pretty dam high with this one, also this head was way cheaper to make than the first one. The first one was too technical, this one is simple and ergonomic. Also sculpted better than the first one.

Eyes are bigger and better positioned, muzzle is much smaller. This one will feature a sculpted smile however I removed the moveable jaw as I decided my character shall be mute. The visibility is better than the old one's. Since the eyes are much bigger.

The lower mandible is in place hower the jaw still needs to be added and sculpted to give it that natural one piece look.

Overall I am happy with what I did and damn I had allot of fun doing it so far. As I said in the WAYDRN thread. Defs got a game changer here.

There is space in the muzzle for a fan and I can also make space for the battery pack, however the lycra lining I used inside seems to dispell heat allot better and makes for a more comfortable fit.

Very robust so far, can be rough handled where as the previous head was quite delicate (Handle my fursuit head roughly and I'll moer you). For those of you who actually tried on my old head, that one is specifically made for my head where as this one can now fit almost any head.

Let me know what you guys think of it. I for one feel accomplished so far. Don't get scared by the eyes. They are just there for reference and will be replaced by the blue eyes. Also the top of the head looks a bit strange, this is because I still need to work out and attach ears and slightly still sculpt the brows to give it an expression. Right now it is completely expressionless
Attachments
20151119_182421.jpg
20151119_182430.jpg
20151119_182437.jpg
20151119_182458.jpg
20151119_182503.jpg
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote

Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Green Folf

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

Whoo! Nice going!
AND THEN THE CAGE COMES DOWN! The cage with the Japanese fighting spiders inside, your mother strikes a match off her forearm and tells you to dance in the front room for money... - Dylan Moran
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

You're turning into quite the fursuit maker hey?
Looks awesome!!
YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

Thanks guys! :D
Lol to think I nearly scrapped it yesterday.
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote

Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Wow, that looks amazing, you've certainly improved a lot.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

It's a good thing that you didn't.

I'm still amazed at how much of a difference the wash gave it. How long will it stay like that?
Tocs
The glowing blue panda

Post by Tocs »

I would have to agree with leeward there, it is really really awesome, when do you think it'll be done?
And das not good
YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

I'm quite glad I didn't scrap it. Was a fuckton of work and to restart that work jeeze. I actually compared it and that made me feel better about it. One important tactic when fursuit making is that you don't make rash decisions without reviewing what your choices would be.

For instance when you feel that it doesn't look nice. Step away from the head and take a break, come back later and you will see it from a different viewpoint. Also look at it through a lense or in the mirror.

Thanks Leeward, that is my aim with this. I wanted to see how much I could improve and I believe I out did even myself with this one.

To answer your question Sev, I believe it will be permanent. I have yet to "Field test" it to determine if it would stay like that. However I did ruffle it up allot and just wiped it back with my hand and it looked like that again. I'll get back with the results of that "test" asap.

To answer your question Tocs, I am aiming for completing the whole suit before January.
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote

YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

I cannot complete my fursuit anymore. My supplier of fur has decided to stop importing. So until I get an alternative I am screwed
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote

Randall
Species: Funambulus palmarum (Squirrel)

Post by Randall »

Damn impressive.
Doesn't your supplier want to at least tell you where they got it from? Then we can see what other plan we can make?
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Perhaps I can arrange for my supplier in Cape Town to send you some?
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

YoteFox wrote:I cannot complete my fursuit anymore. My supplier of fur has decided to stop importing. So until I get an alternative I am screwed
Hey! Don't be so negative man!

If all else fails, learn to make it yourself!

I know a lady who makes dresses for a living... I'll ask her if she doesn't know where to get fur!

And if that doesn't work... Well, I know a taxidermist... :lol:

Don't give up! Your journey has just started!

Besides! What fun would life be if it didn't have a challenge every once in a while?
Tocs
The glowing blue panda

Post by Tocs »

Hmm I'll see if I can't find anyone and get back to you Yote. I mean where does Nikkie (sorry if I got your name wrong I'm tired) get her fur from? Also where did Shadow go to get his fursuit head done? Perhaps that company has some kind of fur manufacturer
And das not good
YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

I did have a word with the supplier. He said he imports the fur but with the exchange rates being so high now his turnover really fell in the past four months. He said he was thinking of stopping the importing however allot of people are making him crazy for fur.

South Africa's biggest fur producing company closed down three years ago because the owner sadly passed away. With the Chinese imports being cheaper than the locally made toys the demand for fur also has decreased.

So what I am going to do is, I am going to import the fur from the US but, my prices are going to be adversely affected. I mean like doubled. I was planning on charging R3500 for a head, I would have to charge at least R5000 just to break even.

That is where the issue comes in. Would you guys still be interested in my work if my prices goes up by almost double?
Also time to completion would most likely triple as importing to SA takes a crap long time.

I am really upset about this turn of events. So much so that I actually broke down and cried about it yesterday (Had a very bad day)
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote

Tocs
The glowing blue panda

Post by Tocs »

I'm extremely sorry to hear, I'll be sure to keep an eye out for more alternatives yote, just try keep your head up
And das not good
Randall
Species: Funambulus palmarum (Squirrel)

Post by Randall »

Would you guys still be interested in my work if my prices goes up by almost double?
Well, yes, of course I would still be interested, its not your fault the price had to go up.
Helios_phi
The depraved

Post by Helios_phi »

Don't worry Yote. Most people understand when you tell them that the fur is imported and you can't control that price. You casually drop into conversation that the rand/dollar is over R14 and subtly end the conversation with the words 'kak en betaal'. It works to make people understand that you make the suits, but mats is at their own expense
[REDACTED]
YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

I weighed up some factors today. I'm still trying to source a proper supplier of fur but until then I would have to go with the supplier I got this morning at R350 p/m.

What I am going to do as I have another business venture, as soon as I get my return from that I am going to order some green fur online. When I have it I will post a review of the quality of the fur and whether or not it would be fitting for the fursuiting.

So sadly no my suit won't be done before January... Such is life. Atleast I have one completed head so far which is nice and another awesomely shaped one coming along just fine. Maybe I can take commissions before I get the fur as a way to mitigate IDK I'll have to see how things work out.

I will post pics of my newly shaped fursuit head tomorrow as I shall be adding the ears tomorrow. So far I am more than able to make fursuit head foam bases, so that could be a start.

Another thing I would have to check is SA's legislation on textile imports I believe it shouldn't be an issue if I am importing for "personal use".
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote