Postive furry media exposure

The place to talk about anything just generally furry. If you have a furry-related thread that doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here! Just keep it clean.
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Werewolf
Region: Gauteng

Postive furry media exposure

Post by Valerion »

As a counterpoint to the other thread I started, does anyone know of any articles / interviews that reflect positively on the fandom? Something we can point people to. It would be nice if this is not done exclusively by furs, as otherwise bias accusations can easily be made.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Re: Postive furry media exposure

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Um... the wikipedia article? That was balanced. Only the furs are interested in the furry fandom and most try to hide everything away. Perhaps you could point people to furs that are doing well at something outside of the fandom?
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
RankHusky
Species: Husky! :D
Region: KZN and Eastern Cape

Post by RankHusky »

Why put it on the media? >.>; wouldn't it be better for the masses to just not know unless they look for it? x_x but then again that would justify political ambitions of certain people.
You could of knocked me out with a.... I know you've heard this all before... Why, why, why won't world revolve around me?...
DesertYote
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Coyote

Post by DesertYote »

Every once in a while there is news of conventions donating a potion of the proceeds to various charities. Some do fundraisers, as well. I think there was an article in a Pennsylvania newspaper that showed it in a positive light (might have been a TV News clip, too). I'll ask around and see if I can find anything.

'Yote
Red
Down Under Fozzy
Species: Fox
Region: Freestate

Post by Red »

Like all hobby groups, the media would cover it once in a while. Star Trekkers, Car Fans, you name it. Furry Fandom is in there as one of the "weird, but interesting" category with a few other hobby groups out there.

While some media groups will take a balanced views to cover the current event taking place in the city at the time as a highlight of the day offering as an insight to an alternative hobby or lifestyle aspect of the city. Then on the other hand you will no doubt have the poo-poo stirrers with no intention of actually being informative, but only capturing the readers with shock content, and it does not happen only with furry fandom, but any other alternative hobby groups that is not traditionally accepted (being a fan of racing cars for example)!

PS: When I say that furry fandom is a "hobby" group, I am just stating it as a broad generalisation. Of course, for a number of members in furry fandom, it is a lifestyle where it is practically determining how they live. It is not limited to furry fandom though, but happens in all hobby groups so it is not just a furry thing.

Red.
This signature is blank.
xatso
Sexual preference: Bi-mostly gay
Species: Dragon

Post by xatso »

This may not be a direct pointer to the furry fandom, but in general movies, with furry characters in them (Lion King, Eragon, etc...) may indirectly lead to some positive exposure for the fandom.

Not to forget that, for those who then pursue their interests further with an open mind, furry artwork on the net also contributes to the positive expression of what the fandom is about, and even the ...ahem... 'more explicit' artwork can be viewed as a mixed 'blessing' depending in the context in which it is presented and received.
DesertYote
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Species: Coyote

Post by DesertYote »

True, though I think a lot of the more 'adult' work makes the community more of a pariah than anything else. Then again, the same could be said about any group which might have similar works.

'Yote
Valerion
Alpha Wolf

Post by Valerion »

I found this to be an excellent video. Explains the motivations behind being a fur very well. If you want to explain to someone what the fandom is this would be a good starting point.

Comments?

A tail of identity
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag
Species: Hyena

Post by Ryall »

Valerion wrote:I found this to be an excellent video. Explains the motivations behind being a fur very well. If you want to explain to someone what the fandom is this would be a good starting point.

Comments?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHniCdbNU3s
Very nice indeed. I like the fox, and the painter! :) but um... couldn't they have picked someone less creepy and ugly than Rattus? I mean, there are plenty of other furs out their with as spiritual a connection to their fursonas (more glamerous fursonas( more glamerous furs (not that there is anything wrong with rats (It's just I wouldn't want rattus being seen as the face of furs (I am done with the brackets now))))). Also, it would be nice to see a doc like this with more than 3 furs being interviewed in the future. :D
Hahaha! :lol:
Valerion
Alpha Wolf

Post by Valerion »

Could be an interesting project to do here, do something similar from a SA viewpoint.
Shiro
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Northwest and North Cape

Post by Shiro »

Im game for it :)

I aint hiding being a fur anymore. Hehe came out to everyone last night and explained what being furry means to me and how I am classiefied under furry. Also there has to be females in it aswell as 90% of vids like those focus only on men and gives the perseption that its only men thats furries.
Telegram user: @Shiro_snep
Fursuit Telegram Channel: Shiro_snep_Fursuit
SFW Telegram channel:: Shiro_snep_SFW
SFW Telegram Web: [Above channel for non Telegram users]: Shiro_Snep_SFW
NSFW Telegram channel:: Shiro_snep_NSFW
NSFW Telegram Web: [Above channel for non Telegram users]: Shiro_Snep_NSFW

Code: Select all

Bounce .... Bounce .... Bounce .... Bounce ....
:start
taskkill /F Snep.exe
start Snep.exe
goto start
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Post by Ryall »

Fox wrote:Im game for it :)
I aint hiding being a fur anymore. Hehe came out to everyone last night and explained what being furry means to me and how I am classiefied under furry.
<== wow! ok, how'd that work out for ya? :)
Shiro
Region: Northwest and North Cape

Post by Shiro »

Lost one friend but to be honest I relay could not remember her anyway :) I don't think a lot of ppl read it though coz no replies or anything.
Telegram user: @Shiro_snep
Fursuit Telegram Channel: Shiro_snep_Fursuit
SFW Telegram channel:: Shiro_snep_SFW
SFW Telegram Web: [Above channel for non Telegram users]: Shiro_Snep_SFW
NSFW Telegram channel:: Shiro_snep_NSFW
NSFW Telegram Web: [Above channel for non Telegram users]: Shiro_Snep_NSFW

Code: Select all

Bounce .... Bounce .... Bounce .... Bounce ....
:start
taskkill /F Snep.exe
start Snep.exe
goto start
Valerion
Alpha Wolf

Post by Valerion »

Here's another YouTube one, mainly about fursuits. Comments?

WTF - The Furry Fetish - G4tv - Attack of the Show
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Post by Ryall »

Hehe, very nice actually :) um... dunno why they included the dude in the tight blue bunny pajama outfit... that's not really a fur suit... but nice stuff anyway! :D
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Dunno about positive but it seems at least neutral to me, and it's from a major news source, the BBC.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8355287.stm
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Valerion
Alpha Wolf

Post by Valerion »

Valerion
Alpha Wolf

Post by Valerion »

Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Quite an interesting read! Thank you for linking. :)

I've talked to several local furs about what drew them to the fandom, and also about why several demographic minorities are majorities in the fandom (for example, there is a non-heterosexual majority in the local fandom, and a disproportionately large portion of autism and anxiety disorders when compared to the general population). Those I have spoken to agree with what the author pointed out in that article: it does indeed seem that the fantasy, liberty and non-judgmental attitude of the fandom draws people who may feel marginalized or cast out. Of course, this is not the case for everyone, but it certainly is a significant trend.
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Other

Post by Adagio »

ZOMG!!!! HAHAHAHAHA!! MY FRIEND IS IN THAT PICTURE!! Vidan, the white tiger with the oink nose!!!