How open are you about being a furry IRL?

The place to talk about anything just generally furry. If you have a furry-related thread that doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here! Just keep it clean.

I'm an exhibitionist and/or try convert others to the dark side!
No votes
I don't boast it, but I'm not bothered about who finds out, most friends and/or family know
32%
Some close (non-furry) RL friends know
24%
I'm perhaps a bit careless about my online furry identity, but won't volunteer telling anyone IRL
32%
I'm a bit of closet furry, lurking online with my secret identity
11%

Total votes: 37
Yukon
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Husky/wolf
Region: Gauteng

Post by Yukon »

Some want to spread the word and get others to join in the fun, some like the idea of the secret furry life behind the scenes, some wish they could tell people but the stereotypes govern and restrict that, some are ashamed...they just.. are.

Where do you fit in? I suppose the next question I would like to pose after this, is to what extent the stereotype of a furry governs your decision.
There are 10 types of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Dualsa
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Blue Point Siamese or Husky
Region: KZN and Eastern Cape

Re: How open are you about being a furry IRL?

Post by Dualsa »

I'm pretty much the last option. Knowing my friends opinions on the whole furry fandom (misguided as it might be), I'm not about to share that little aspect. Though, at the same time, it's not like the whole furry thing is bursting out of me, as something I feel like I should talk about it. It's just something I don't really think about. I don't feel that it's important enough for me to want to convert someone to it. Then again, I don't feel that many things are that important.
Back after a long absence! Sometimes Siamese, sometimes Husky. Can't blame me for indecision, just gief me feesh :V
Tigris Astartes
Sexual preference: bi-mostly straight
Species: Snow leopard/Siberian Tiger

Post by Tigris Astartes »

Some close friends know that I am a furry, but they keep it to themselves. I generally keep it a secret from most friends and family though.
Snow Leopard + Siberian Tiger

Find my Furaffinity here.

Telegram:
Image @TigrisAstartes
DesertYote
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Species: Coyote
Region: Other

Post by DesertYote »

I don't like your first option on there, lol! What are you tryin' to say, huh? XD

I chose the 2nd option. I don't boast about it, like pretty much anything else in life. Just another facet of ones self, that's all. If someone were to ask me about it, I'd be cool with that. when I've happened upon people discussing it, I try to make sure they've got their facts correct. I figure that it's the least I can do. If it's something you're ashamed of, then that is a personal issue that needs to be dealt with.

'Yote
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Werewolf

Post by Valerion »

This is kinda hard to answer. Some of my close RL friends know, but I am also very careful online. I picked the third one, but for me it's actually three and five. And sometimes four. Depends mostly who I am with.
anoyomouse
Sexual preference: Bi-mostly gay
Species: Brown House mouse

Post by anoyomouse »

Well, my parents call me mouse, and well, i put my mouse plushies by my mom last night (long story, if you've spoken to me you'll know)

It also depends on who i'm with

i've tried explaining it to others, but it's really difficult to explain it properly, without people thinking you're crazy.
The picture of my character on my wall is a great help tho, and so my parents know, and anyone that's come to my place .. except maybe people who are not inquisitive enugh, but they don't deserve to be taught about the fandom :p
~~~(___^> *squeak*
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

I went with the middle option. I don't try to hide it but I don't go around declaring it to everyone. (That would just be weird) A few non-furs know about it and I use Rakuen pretty much all the time that I'm on a computer.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Darkeraven
Species: Skunk

Post by Darkeraven »

I took the 4th option. Not many know about me being "furry". Most who know me think I am a big kid who still likes animated movies and Tv shows.

I have to be careful about what I say to people. I have been burned before which cost me my job onetime. No, it wasn't that I said I was a "furry" it was something else, but the experience has made me less trusting and more private.
Stormwolf
Species: stormwolf
Region: Western Cape

Post by Stormwolf »

I'm not furry, I just draw the stuff really. I don't reeeeally subscribe to the lifestyle. Honestly, I used to consider myself furry until I encountered the online "fandom." @.@ Irl, I've only ever been to one furmeet and that was in London - and the furs there were so gay and/or antisocial that I was totally ignored (and I mean not even greeted) while they were all cuddlepiling. So I was like... well this isn't very constructive.
~ It is good for the soul to see the sun. ~
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Werewolf

Post by Valerion »

Don't let that put you off :) Not all furs are like that (though I guess a large group are). Some of them grow out of that eventually. If you don't agree with them, avoid that kind of meet. Quite a few of us are more ... normal ;) There is a perception that furs are mostly gay, but this is actually not the case. Have a look at http://www.klisoura.com/ot_furrysurvey.php, linked to originally by Yukon. About a third of the fandom considers themselves straight. Also, 2/3 of the respondents were below 25 years, which is prime time for getting ruled by your hormones instead of logic.

And of course, since about 80% of the fandom is male, you have a better chance for a mate if you choose in that pool. And I think the eagerness to find a good partner is what scares some females off, which is quite sad.

So don't judge all furs by what you saw. Being furry is more about how you feel about yourself than fitting into a community. As long as you consider yourself one, then I'd say you are, no matter what the online community says, or how you differ from them.
Stormwolf
Species: stormwolf
Region: Western Cape

Post by Stormwolf »

I wasn't saying that all furs are gay - just that the ones at that meet were so into each other that they ignored me totally. I know not everyone is like that. I've been out with a few furries before, one multiple occasions. I have yet to meet some irl that I could really get along with. Plus, it didn't help that one of them was a total stalker personality. haha
~ It is good for the soul to see the sun. ~
DesertYote
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Post by DesertYote »

Stormwolf wrote:I wasn't saying that all furs are gay - just that the ones at that meet were so into each other that they ignored me totally. I know not everyone is like that. I've been out with a few furries before, one multiple occasions. I have yet to meet some irl that I could really get along with. Plus, it didn't help that one of them was a total stalker personality. haha
They just don't know how to properly deal with a meerwuff. Too many variables! XD

'Yote
Tigris Astartes

If I had to meet a furry and they had similar interests... clubbing, gaming, swimming, various fun adrenalin inducing activities, reading, collection movies/series/music or anime.

I would probably get alone with them very fast. And if not then I would still try my best to make conversation. I'm the kinda guy that goes up to someone and says hi my name is... who are you? ect hehe.

Telegram:
Image @TigrisAstartes
KatKry
Sexual preference: Lesbian
Species: Black Leopard

Post by KatKry »

I prefer others not to know I'm a furry. It's not that I'm scared of others knowing or anything. I just don't feel like explaining what one is everytime.
I think my brain just broke...
DesertYote
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Post by DesertYote »

KatKry wrote:I prefer others not to know I'm a furry. It's not that I'm scared of others knowing or anything. I just don't feel like explaining what one is everytime.

That is definitely understandable! It gets old pretty fast, doesn't it? Maybe I should hand out pamphlets at the airport or something...XD

'yote
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag
Species: Hyena

Post by Ryall »

Reading what Stormwolf said, it's a real shame that that kind of anti-socialness and sexualness gets associated with the fandom, and then scares people off like that. I'm sure the people at the said meeting weren't intending to alienate storm like that, but they did, and that show's a certain lack of consideration for others. I myself was hesitant at first to join because of that. I'm happy for those who have mates, but please, don't flaunt ur sex life over others - keep it private ;)

As for who know's I'm a furry? my close friends do. I kind of gave it away :P I enjoyed the scandall while it lasted. Otherwise tho, meeting me? You would never guess I'm a furry. ever :P Online tho? I keep an eye out for potential, then corner them and interrogate them to see if they are furries, before revealing myself...then I try convert them if they're not. E.g a 'friend' from my wow guild whose ingame name was Kitsune and IRC nick was wolf... I just err... helped him along in the right direction :twisted:
Hahaha! :lol:
Tigris Astartes

@ Ryall

I generally prefer to show art etc to people who aren't furry and let them decide for themselves. I don't like the whole converting thing that much. ;/

Telegram:
Image @TigrisAstartes
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag
Species: Hyena

Post by Ryall »

lol! :P I don't force them or beat them into submission... and wolf? he was a furry thru and through anyway : he just didn't know it, so I linked him some sites ;)
Hahaha! :lol:
Dark Wolf
Species: Wolf

Post by Dark Wolf »

I have to admit, Astartes was the one who made me take the next 'step' into furryness :D
but I wonder why Wolf/Kitsune hasn't come 2 these forums yet? will speak 2 him IRL :mrgreen: