South African furries on Kwêla!!

The place to talk about anything just generally furry. If you have a furry-related thread that doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here! Just keep it clean.
YoteFox
Species: Arctic Sabre Fox

South African furries on Kwêla!!

Post by YoteFox »

I know we have been advised time and again not to accept casting calls and I still stand by not just willy nilly accepting casting calls. But Kwêla has a special place in my heart being a journalism program with less focus on the sensation and more focus on the interesting.

I was contacted on Facebook in December 2018 by someone from the Cape Town studio who asked if I was YoteFox, they contacted me on my irl profile. Reserved I answered and said that I am YoteFox and she then told me she's been looking for furries for a while and she's from Kwêla. Knowing Kwêla I immediately jumped at the opportunity and made arrangements with her for everything.

We filmed on the weekend of the 10th of March and it was great fun filming it, the people from Kwêla are AMAZING to work with and so much fun

(Rakuen please help me, I can't get the in text link right)
I'd rather be fursuiting

Suit up and it will make you feel better
- Pepper Coyote

People get built different. We don't need to figure it out, we just need to respect it. Maybe he likes his company more than I like mine - Princess Bubblegum
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Re: South African furries on Kwêla!!

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Fixed the link. The Youtube bbcode only uses the video id. Basically everything after "?v=" unless there are extra bits added for starting at a specific time or as part of a folder.

That was an awesome segment even though my Afrikaans is pretty bad. I can understand nearly all of it but I can't think up the Afrikaans words to actually say anything myself. Really amazing how the furry fandom has grown in South Africa over the years!
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
YoteFox
Species: Arctic Sabre Fox

Post by YoteFox »

Thanks Rakuen! I tried adding everything after the "?v=" but it kept just showing the text instead of the video.

It was quite amazing, I've watched it probably 5 times by now and I keep thinking that I'm proud to have my name on this interview. I was extremely reserved and worried about this interview but it was so worth it and so positive. I think we as the furry community owe a debt of gratitude to Kyknet for taking interest in us and portraying us in such a positive light. I'm so happy with how this turned out and I will continue to do my part in representing the SA community in the way I do.

Btw I did mention the forums and all other forms of media in the interview but they cut a lot of the things we recorded
I'd rather be fursuiting

Suit up and it will make you feel better
- Pepper Coyote

People get built different. We don't need to figure it out, we just need to respect it. Maybe he likes his company more than I like mine - Princess Bubblegum
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

YoteFox wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:06 amThanks Rakuen! I tried adding everything after the "?v=" but it kept just showing the text instead of the video.
The link you originally gave had extra information which Youtube sometimes adds but the BBCode doesn't like. For example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9PWyjr ... utu.be&t=4 Has an extra bit at the end "&feature=youtu.be&t=4" which tells the playback to start at the 4s mark and I think also that the referring link was a specific Youtube sharing link. But you don't need to really worry about all of that!
YoteFox wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:06 am It was quite amazing, I've watched it probably 5 times by now and I keep thinking that I'm proud to have my name on this interview. I was extremely reserved and worried about this interview but it was so worth it and so positive. I think we as the furry community owe a debt of gratitude to Kyknet for taking interest in us and portraying us in such a positive light. I'm so happy with how this turned out and I will continue to do my part in representing the SA community in the way I do.
The coverage you and others have given in recent media appearances is way better than anything that used to come up. Mostly, the furry fandom wasn't mentioned at all but there was a Mail & Guardian piece back in 2009 or so which I think was mostly focussed on the sexual aspect. They didn't even try to contact any local fur and there was discussion whether the forum should contact them and make some sort of statement about the article. In the end, we just let it fade away.
YoteFox wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:06 am Btw I did mention the forums and all other forms of media in the interview but they cut a lot of the things we recorded
I totally understand. I did an interview for someone's university project where she made a short video on the furry fandom. I think she recorded ~2 hours of discussion and me showing pictures and books which was then cut down to 1 min 40 s video. Plus I got even less time because she eventually found a fursuiter to participate as well and that is far more visually appealing.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag
Species: Hyena
Region: Gauteng

Post by Ryall »

I think you nailed that interview Yote! You came across very confidently, and were a great ambassador for the community!

Loved the furmeet fursuit footage too!
Hahaha! :lol: