2018 Ursa Major Awards

The place to talk about anything just generally furry. If you have a furry-related thread that doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here! Just keep it clean.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

2018 Ursa Major Awards

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Voting is open for the Ursa Major Awards until the end of the month.
https://ursamajorawards.org/voting2018/
I've taken the list of nominations from Flayrah.
https://www.flayrah.com/7587/voting-sta ... jor-awards
(* Note: an asterisk means the nominee was not submitted to the 2018 Recommended Anthropomorphics List)

Best Motion Picture
Live-action or animated feature-length movies.
  • Avengers: Infinity War
  • Isle of Dogs
  • Mary Poppins Returns
  • Peter Rabbit
  • Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
Best Dramatic Series or Short Work
TV series or one-shots, advertisements or short videos.
  • Aggretsuko (Season 1, 11 episodes)
  • Bojack Horseman (Season 5, 12 episodes)
  • Brush: A Fox Tale (animated short by Willi Anton and Faustina Arriola)
  • DuckTales (2017 Reboot, Seasons 1-2, episodes 10-29)
  • My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic (Season 8, 27 episodes)
Best Novel
Written works of 40,000 words or more. Serialized novels qualify only for the year that the final chapter is published.
  • Cosmic Lotus (excerpt?), by Bernard Doove (CreateSpace)
  • Once A Dog, by Shaune Lafferty Webb. (Jaffa Books)
  • Small World, by Gre7g Luterman. (Thurston Howl Publications)
  • The Snake's Song (excerpt), by Mary E. Lowd. (ShadowSpinners Press)
  • Voyage of the Dogs, by Greg van Eekhout. (HarperCollins)
Best Short Fiction
Stories less than 40,000 words, poetry, and other short written works.
  • The Beating of Wild Hooves, by Dwale. (excerpt) (In CLAW, volume 1, Bad Dog Books) [Mature Audiences]
  • Come To Todor!, by Fred Patten.† (In Exploring New Places, FurPlanet Productions)
  • A Legend in His Own Time, by Fred Patten.† (In What the Fox?!, Thurston Howl Publications)
  • Of Starwhals and Spaceships, by Mary E. Lowd. (In Daily Science Fiction)
  • Uri's Bitterweet Story, by Uranium 235. (CrossTime Cafe)
Best Other Literary Work
Story collections, comic collections, graphic novels, non-fiction works, and serialized online stories.
  • CLAW, Volume 1, edited by K.C. Alpinus. (FurPlanet Productions) [Mature Audiences] *
  • Heat 15, produced by Dark End, Teagan Gavet. (Sofawolf Press) [Mature Audiences]
  • ROAR 9, edited by Mary E. Lowd. (FurPlanet Productions)
  • Tales From the Guild: World Tour, edited by Ocean Tigrox. (FurPlanet Productions)
  • What the Fox?!, edited by Fred Patten.† (Thurston Howl Publications)
Best Non-Fiction Work
Includes documentaries, opinion pieces, and news articles.
  • The Day that Fandom died - November 12th, 2018 - Loss of a creator and a super fan (World in Rooview)
  • Furries assist, help lead to arrest of Levi "SnakeThing" Simmons (World in Rooview)
  • Furries - Down the Rabbit Hole (Fredrik Knudsen)
  • Fursuit History, parts 1 to 5 (Culturally F'd)
  • This is Life with Lisa Ling: Furry Nation (CNN)
Best Graphic Story
Includes comic books, and serialized online stories.
  • Dreamkeepers, by David & Liz Lillie. *
  • DreamKeepers Prelude, by David & Liz Lillie. *
  • Lackadaisy, by Tracy J. Butler. *
  • Rising Sand, by Ty Dunitz and Jenn Lee. [Couldn't find a sufficiently anthro page to link to.] *
  • Scurry, by Mac Smith.
Best Comic Strip
Newspaper-style strips, including those with ongoing arcs.
  • Carry On, by Kathy Garrison Kellogg.
  • Doc Rat, by Jenner.
  • Freefall, by Mark Stanley. *
  • Part Time Dragons, by Spike Parra and Donna Vu. *
  • The Whiteboard, by Doc Nickel.
Best Magazine
Edited collections of creative and/or informational works by various people, professional or amateur, published in print or online in written, pictorial or audio-visual form.
  • Culturally F'd
  • Dogpatch Press
  • Flayrah
  • Moms of Furries
  • South Afrifur Pawdcast
Best Published Illustration
Illustrations for books, magazines, convention program books, cover art for such, coffee-table portfolios.
  • Ashley Ash, Will You Be My Valentine. [Published in... ?]
  • Tracy Butler, Murder in Surfer's Paradise, cover of FurDU 2018 conbook.
  • Caraid, Pirates!, website art for Furry Weekend Atlanta 2019.
  • Demicoeur, cover for Exploring New Places, short story anthology.
  • Teagan Gavet, cover for CLAW, Volume 1, short story anthology.
Best Game
Computer or console games, role-playing games, board games.
  • Deltarune: Chapter 1 (Developer: Toby Fox)
  • Detective Pikachu (English release) (Developer: Creatures, Publishers: Nintendo and The Pokémon Company)
  • Ghost of a Tale (Developer and Publisher: SeithCG)
  • Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee! (Developer: Game Freak, Publishers: Nintendo and The Pokémon Company)
  • Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Developer, Toys for Bob, Publisher, Activision)
Best Website
Online collections of art, stories, and other creative and/or informational works. Includes galleries, story archives, directories, blogs, and personal sites.
  • e621 (art website) [Mature Audiences]
  • Furry Writers' Guild (Supporting, informing, elevating, and promoting quality anthropomorphic fiction and its creators)
  • Inkbunny (art website) [Mature Audiences] *
  • Lackadaisy.com (art and webcomic site) *
  • WikiFur (furry fandom encyclopedia)
Best Fursuit
Anthropomorphic costumes.
  • Penelope, made by Dludnerad and Paul Kidd, owned by Paul Kidd.
  • Ravtrag, made by Suit-a-dile, owned by Ravtrag. *
  • SonicFox, made by Yamishizen/Fursuit Enterprise. *
  • Zabivaka, FIFA World Cup Mascot 2018.
In case you missed it, the South Afrifur Pawdcast is up for an Ursa Major! You should definitely go give them some support.

I still need to check some stuff out before I make my vote but what do you guys think? Have you seen any of those works? Which ones do you think should win?
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
YoteFox
Species: Arctic Sabre Fox

Re: 2018 Ursa Major Awards

Post by YoteFox »

I don't get the nominations for the Best fursuit... Zabivaka isn't even a fursuit
Sonicfox is only there because he's popular and I have never seen the other 2 suits either the only one that I felt was deserving of a vote was Penelope since it looks like it was actually pretty well made and there was something unique about it. Don't know if this is based on maybe the fursuiter themselves but I feel for that there has to be another category of best suiter or something.
I'd rather be fursuiting

Suit up and it will make you feel better
- Pepper Coyote

People get built different. We don't need to figure it out, we just need to respect it. Maybe he likes his company more than I like mine - Princess Bubblegum
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

YoteFox wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:14 am I don't get the nominations for the Best fursuit... Zabivaka isn't even a fursuit
Sonicfox is only there because he's popular and I have never seen the other 2 suits either the only one that I felt was deserving of a vote was Penelope since it looks like it was actually pretty well made and there was something unique about it. Don't know if this is based on maybe the fursuiter themselves but I feel for that there has to be another category of best suiter or something.
Yeah, I dunno exactly what the rules are but those are not the best suits I've ever seen. I assume the suit has to be built in the specified year but none of them really stand out to me.

Check out how cool this is!

Or these.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
YoteFox
Species: Arctic Sabre Fox

Post by YoteFox »

Yeah those are far more deserving of a nomination!

Also OMG I LOVE LED'S
I'd rather be fursuiting

Suit up and it will make you feel better
- Pepper Coyote

People get built different. We don't need to figure it out, we just need to respect it. Maybe he likes his company more than I like mine - Princess Bubblegum
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Here is how I will be voting for the Ursa Major Awards once I receive my voting key and why.

Best Dramatic Series or Short WorkI'm a huge MLP fan and there were some great episodes in season 8, particularly the finale! The Christmas special was also a lot of fun, although nothing spectacular.
1) My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic (Directed by Denny Lu and Mike Myhre, Season 8 Episode 1 to My Little Pony: Best Gift Ever)
I'm a huge MLP fan and there were some great episodes in season 8, particularly the finale! The Christmas special was also a lot of fun, although nothing spectacular.

Best Non-Fiction Work
1) Furries | Down the Rabbit Hole (Created by Fredrik Knudsen, August 13)
First off, great title for a furry documentary. I noticed a mistake here and there but overall I thought it was a solid look at the origins of the furry fandom and it went into details that I wasn't aware of before. Perhaps it spent too much time reading old posts but they were fascinating; not just at the amount of invective but to see that the same nonsense was being spewed back then as it is now.
2) Fursuit History (Culturally F'd, videos; parts 1 to 5, February 16 to December 11)
Very well done and well presented. I never really thought about where fursuiting came from and it was nice to learn those historical aspects.
3) This is Life with Lisa Ling: Furry Nation (CNN, video; November 18)
This was also pretty good but, as I said when it originally came out, I think misrepresented furs in general as broken and needing help. The fandom plays that part for some but it's not representative. Still, positive mainstream content is welcome.

Best Magazine
1) Flayrah, edited by GreenReaper, Sonious, and Dronon. (Internet; January 1 to December 31)
No bias here! :p Still the best place for fandom news and views.
2) South Afrifur Pawdcast (You Tube videos, January to December)
I was a guest on the Pawdcast twice and I helped recruit some of the early guests as well. I'm really impressed with what they've managed to achieve.
3) Culturally F'd (YouTube videos, Sonic OC Rusty Knucklesfur to Fursuit History Part 5: Cosplay)
I've meant to follow them more closely ever since they were on South Afrifur but I kept doing other things. I took a proper look for their Fursuit History nomination though and it's reminded me to watch more.

Best Published Illustration
1) Caraid, Pirates!, website art for Furry Weekend Atlanta 2019.
Just a really beautiful picture. Great colours, great shading, expressive. Excellent.
2) Tracy Butler, Murder in Surfer's Paradise, cover of FurDU 2018 conbook.
The face looks a bit weird but it doesn't completely detract from a good picture. I love the old-fashioned theme it has and the faint blue with a mostly colourless background gives it a wonderful feel.
3) Teagan Gavet, cover for CLAW, Volume 1, short story anthology.
There's something about the angle and energy in this one that appeals to me.

Best Game
2) Ghost of a Tale (Developer and Publisher: SeithCG)
While it has its flaws gameplay wise, this is still a beautiful and charming game. Don't forget to read my full review of it here.

Best Website
1) Inkbunny (art website) [Mature Audiences]
It's got a good interface and I feel like it is more faster and more responsive than any other furry site. It's generally a pleasure to use.
2) WikiFur (furry fandom encyclopedia)
I use Wikifur from time to time when I need to look up important furs or conventions. It's a great source of information that would otherwise be either lost or very difficult to find.
3) e621 (art website) [Mature Audiences]
I know not everyone is a fan of it but e621 is a great way to find pictures since it aggregates off many different sites. I often use it to discover artwork and then follow the links to the original source.

Best Fursuit
1) SonicFox, made by Yamishizen/Fursuit Enterprise.
I suppose everyone's heard his name at some point over the past year. He's brought some good publicity to the fandom and you got to respect his gaming skills. It's not the best suit I've ever seen but it's probably the best in the nominations.
2) Zabivaka, FIFA World Cup Mascot 2018.
It's only a mascot but it doesn't look half bad.
3) Ravtrag, made by Suit-a-dile, owned by Ravtrag.
It was hard choosing the third place but in the end, Ravtrag is a full suit.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

The Ursa Major results are out!
https://www.flayrah.com/7639/winners-20 ... jor-awards

These are the winners in each category.

Best Motion Picture - Isle of Dogs (Directed by Wes Anderson)
Best Dramatic Series or Short Work - Aggretsuko (Season 1, 11 episodes, directed by Rarecho)
Best Novel - Small World, by Gre7g Luterman. (Thurston Howl Publications)
Best Short Fiction - Uri's Bitterweet Story, by Uranium235. (CrossTime Cafe)
Best Other Literary Work - What the Fox?!, edited by Fred Patten.† (Thurston Howl Publications)
Best Non-Fiction Work - Furries - Down the Rabbit Hole (Fredrik Knudsen)
Best Graphic Story - Lackadaisy, by Tracy J. Butler.
Best Comic Strip - Carry On, by Kathy Garrison Kellogg.
Best Magazine - Culturally F'd, created by Arrkay and Underbite Dragon.
Best Published Illustration - Caraid, Pirates!, website art for Furry Weekend Atlanta 2019.
Best Game - Deltarune: Chapter 1 (Developer: Toby Fox)
Best Website - e621 (art website)
Best Fursuit - SonicFox, made by Yamishizen/Fursuit Enterprise.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 7:37 pm Best Website - e621 (art website)
ಠ_ಠ
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Green Folf
Region: Gauteng

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

People like their easy access...por-uh... pictures
AND THEN THE CAGE COMES DOWN! The cage with the Japanese fighting spiders inside, your mother strikes a match off her forearm and tells you to dance in the front room for money... - Dylan Moran