What are you doing RIGHT NOW?

The place to talk about anything just generally furry. If you have a furry-related thread that doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here! Just keep it clean.
Animew
Banter kitty
Species: Animu cat

Re: What are you doing RIGHT NOW?

Post by Animew »

fuck i was freaking out so much last nite that i forgot to acknowledge Rakuen's crimes against the noble art of requests.
Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:29 pm Then kinda ended an argument with an artist over a request picture so not getting that. I said I artist can't change character's design just because they think it would be more interesting.
UwU/ silly firedog! don't you know you never cum in a gift horses mouth... <w< or was it not to look up its ass for the price tag...
anywho if its free you cant go making demands man, that kinda the point of drawing stuff for free. UwU/ i mean i've personally messed up your stripes, made your ears black AND changed your gender \OwO/ not to mention turn your freaking butt into a hat and yet you are none the worse for wear. =w= methinks firedog takes internet too seriously.
Duck face? i thought they were all just making fart noises when posing for pictures...
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Gauteng

Post by Adagio »

I'm with Animew on this one Rak... :lol:
Requests are done free of charge. You have no right being picky about them.
:P
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

I wouldn't quite put it that way. If an artist agrees to a request, then they know what they are agreeing to. While there is certainly more flexibility for a request, I do not believe that extends to people's characters without prior agreement. I've been on both sides of commissions and requests before and never had that issue. If people want something specific for their character, then I would do it as long as its within my skill. And if people have made mistakes with my character, they've been happy to fix it.

I think this idea that if something is free or a gift that then its wrong to be anything other than completely grateful is not completely true. I remember my geography teaching talking about the subject in high school when the subject of housing came up. He said if you don't talk to the people who are getting the gift of a free house then its not surprising that they might not be grateful if what you give them is completely unsuitable. Like if there's a large family and you give them a one-bedroom house with a garage. Sure, that's nice of you but its not suitable for them. They don't have a car, forget the garage and give them a second bedroom which is what they need. If you're giving a gift or doing a favour for someone but that gift or favour doesn't meet the recipient's needs, then you aren't doing it for them, you are doing it for yourself.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Kievvu
Species: Canis Lupus
Region: Northwest and North Cape

Post by Kievvu »

I've been working on a gift art for a friends birthday. I first checked with them that I was allowed to actually draw their sona, then went over details with them and wrote down important physical bits that were necessary to keep in, checked if changing from anthro to feral was okay, let them pick out some colours for other things in the image, sketched it out til I was happy, lined that to make it neater then sent it to them so they could check if I messed anything up.
Steam: Kievvu
Telegram: @Kievvu
Furry Amino: Kievvu
Discord: Kievvu#1856
Blizzard: Kievvu#2944
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Kievvu wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:30 am I've been working on a gift art for a friends birthday. I first checked with them that I was allowed to actually draw their sona, then went over details with them and wrote down important physical bits that were necessary to keep in, checked if changing from anthro to feral was okay, let them pick out some colours for other things in the image, sketched it out til I was happy, lined that to make it neater then sent it to them so they could check if I messed anything up.
Exactly! That's perfect.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Animew
Banter kitty

Post by Animew »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:27 pm Exactly! That's perfect.
yea... for GIFT ART!

UwU/ requests are generally opened when an artist feels like drawing something random...

Owo and what the fuck is up with comparing a random picture drawn for free at little more than a whim to a freaking house!? duuuude! apples and oranges! if your freaking life depended on a doodle then FINE, be that way but really.... do you know how many people have drawn my fursona and got it HORRIBLY wrong? lots of people... including myself... life goes on. we smile and we say thank you for the thoughtful gift.
Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:40 am If you're giving a gift or doing a favour for someone but that gift or favour doesn't meet the recipient's needs, then you aren't doing it for them, you are doing it for yourself.
that's exactly the kind of reasoning used by a spoiled child...
we give only what is within our means to give bro, if that's not enough you don't deserve to be given anything in the first place.
Duck face? i thought they were all just making fart noises when posing for pictures...
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

It's not about gift art vs request, it's about drawing a specific character. Yeah, people sometimes draw things wrong. That's probably inexperienced artists who don't bother to check with the character owner beforehand whether its correct. That's something that should be done.
Animew wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:31 amOwo and what the fuck is up with comparing a random picture drawn for free at little more than a whim to a freaking house!?
It illustrates a particular principle. The actual objects are completely irrelevant.
Animew wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:31 amthat's exactly the kind of reasoning used by a spoiled child...
we give only what is within our means to give bro, if that's not enough you don't deserve to be given anything in the first place.
Look at it this way. If you were buying someone a shirt as a gift, don't you think finding out the appropriate size is important? Or, failing that, at least making sure its possible to exchange it? Of course we can only give what is within our means, no one is disagreeing there.

Edit: Although it now occurs to me, a similar situation came up when Elon Musk sent his submarine to the Thai cave and everyone mocked him. Yes, he gave a gift but it was inappropriate and unsuitable in the situation.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

I actually realised the other day that Furocity drew my character wrong in my ref sheet. But I hadn't noticed till now... And I kinda like it.
Animew
Banter kitty

Post by Animew »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:59 am That's probably inexperienced artists who don't bother to check with the character owner beforehand whether its correct
or an artist trying to relax after the pressures and commitments of commissions and draw something without it being work... its the clients job to provide adequate references for their characters, not the artists. or do you really expect someone to sit through multiple disorganized galleries and compile a character profile based on widely variable styles and designs for your character whenever you ask them to draw you something? i get that some people do that but that's because when you draw something you actually want it to be good, so despite it being a colossal pain in the ass they do the leg work eventho they really shouldn't.
Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:59 am The actual objects are completely irrelevant.
=w= dude... people tend not to buy a house if they already have a house, but you don't not ask people for requests after receiving one. you are quite literally comparing an essential object with an inconsequential one.
Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:59 am Look at it this way. If you were buying someone a shirt as a gift, don't you think finding out the appropriate size is important? Or, failing that, at least making sure its possible to exchange it?
.>w<. reading that makes me really sad... like for reals... is this really what society is now? <w< or is it just you firedog?
in my day giving a tasteful gift was a matter of personal pride... not something insisted upon by the recipient...
i'm sorry firedog i'm really not trying to hassle you or anything but this sense of "entitlement" that the new generation seem to have is really something that triggers me. i was raised to be thankful for what we get and work hard for what we don't. Owo this whole looking a gift horse in the mouth thing just irks me deeply but i suppose its something i'll have to learn to live with.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

It feels like you're missing a couple of things I'm trying to say so I'll quickly put in one last message before Adagio tries to spray me.

My original point was not about unclear references or anything like that. It was about an artist, knowing the design and deliberately trying to change the character design to look like something else.

The objects were not what was being compared. It was the wider framework that the objects were embedded in. The focus was on giving, receiving and the relevant considerations and obligations of the parties involved.

The last part shouldn't make you sad because it says nothing about things being insisted on by the recipient. The questions were framed for the giver and, if it was about personal pride, you shouldn't have had any hesitation answering those questions in the affirmative.

Beyond that, and partly veering off topic but its my last post on the theme, you seem to miss that being thankful for a gift is not always the correct response. Yes, you should be usually thankful for gifts but they can come with all sorts of baggage. As Africans, we see a lot of poverty and charity is a known virtue. "And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity." But charity can actually perpetuate poverty. Donations of used clothes to help the poor in Africa have actually wrecked the clothing production industry in many countries as its not possible to compete with the low prices, this makes starting clothing businesses completely unsustainable and prevents economic development. (https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/ ... ions-kenya and https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/th ... 74c9f10dd6) In such a situation, I think it would be absolutely right not to be grateful for such a gift.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:59 pm ...before Adagio tries to spray me.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (142.39 KiB) Viewed 4479 times
(c)NowAndLater @nldraws
Baz
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Saber tooth Cat

Post by Baz »

Trying to studying for my CCNA Cyber Ops
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian

Post by Raven Song »

I don't want to go to work.
I have a raging headache and I don't want to work with that fucking retard of a an apprentice we've got.
I'm sorry. It's rude to be that way but trust me... she shouldn't be an apprentice.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Breh232

Post by Breh232 »

Never knowing this site existed?
Hehe...Relaxing, browsing the webs for...stuff.
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

I just took some pics of the moon...

My lense doesn't like it apearently... They all come out blurry...
Animew
Banter kitty

Post by Animew »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:59 pm My original point was not about unclear references or anything like that. It was about an artist, knowing the design and deliberately trying to change the character design to look like something else.
i actually agree with you there, artistic lenience is one thing but what's the point of offering to drawing someones character if you are gonna change it, for then its no longer that character... Owo i'm kinda curious now wtf these changes are since you roll with a pretty standard growlithe... did he wana like add wings n layzorz or something?
Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:59 pm The focus was on giving, receiving and the relevant considerations and obligations of the parties involved.
UwU/ yea that's still kinda what i mean. sure giving a gift that a person doesn't really want is not cool HOWEVER telling a person you don't like it is equally not cool. if someone were to offer to draw your character then they say "but i'm gonna add wingz n layzorz!" the appropriate response would be "i'd really prefer you not do that but what you draw is ultimately up to you."
<w< but i'm guessing the firedog was more like "you better not add wings n layzors you sonovabich!" am i right?
Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:59 pm if it was about personal pride, you shouldn't have had any hesitation answering those questions in the affirmative.
well yea, but eventho i can agree with your sentiments i don't feel it right to force others to adhere to those sentiments as it is each persons personal prerogative to adhere to those sentiments and insisting someone adhere to them is kinda rude.
Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:59 pm But charity can actually perpetuate poverty.
\OwO/ i'm in complete agreement with you there man. however there is a distinction to be made between gifts requests and charity. i feel you don't have to accept charity and personally if offered charity i take offense as its rather insulting. gifts on the other hand is a token of good will and its rude to turn down good will regardless of how its done. UwU/ and a request is actually suppose to be where an artist takes nonspecific suggestions for a personal piece... but recently it seems people think its a free commission... and THAT'S what triggered me about what you said.
Adagio wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:49 pm I just took some pics of the moon...
kinky! UwU/ i hear its nice and red this evening.

in other news:
I JUST MADE MY 55th EEVEE STICKER! bubububitchen! UwU/ i'm well on my way to making a world class sticker pack, yay me!
Asbjorn-phoenix
Papa Bear
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: FireBear - Bear Phoenix hybrid

Post by Asbjorn-phoenix »

Breh232 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:34 pm Never knowing this site existed?
Hehe...Relaxing, browsing the webs for...stuff.
How did you discover this site or the fandom?
Welcome by the way, go introduce yourself in the introductions section you'll get ,any a friendly reply.
If you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear,
if you've something to hide you shouldn't be here.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Need to take a break and relax. I though Sunday is a day of rest. I went to a lunch meeting with a friend/colleague then came home to a long Discord meeting. Basically spent all day in meetings. @.@ At least both meetings ended with plans of things to work on.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Baz

Post by Baz »

Watching some art streaming, so relaxing.
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian

Post by Raven Song »

Absolutely love waking up next to my not quite fiance and poking her and being annoying because we both have to be up in 10 minutes and she wants to snooze.

I am evil.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

I posted something to Adagio near the end of May and sent it priority. That should take 2-4 days in Europe and 3-7 days for other countries. It's now two months later and it still hasn't arrived. Wondering who I should contact. Or whether it will even make a difference.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:53 pm I posted something to Adagio near the end of May and sent it priority. That should take 2-4 days in Europe and 3-7 days for other countries. It's now two months later and it still hasn't arrived. Wondering who I should contact. Or whether it will even make a difference.
Pfffffffffft!!!
It's SAPO! This isn't that strange!
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Well I sent an email addressed to both the Austrian and South African postal services.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Austrian postal service replied to me. They say the letter arrived in Johannesburg on the 27th of May. No word from the South African postal "service" yet.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Kievvu
Species: Canis Lupus
Region: Northwest and North Cape

Post by Kievvu »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:42 pm Austrian postal service replied to me. They say the letter arrived in Johannesburg on the 27th of May. No word from the South African postal "service" yet.
A letter I posted to Adge two weeks ago is still sitting in Cape Town XD
Steam: Kievvu
Telegram: @Kievvu
Furry Amino: Kievvu
Discord: Kievvu#1856
Blizzard: Kievvu#2944
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

It's just insane. It took 3 days to get from Vienna to Johannesburg and then after 68 days it still hasn't made it from Johannesburg to Witbank. You could walk that distance in just a few days! And that's not even pushing yourself!
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:01 pm It's just insane. It took 3 days to get from Vienna to Johannesburg and then after 68 days it still hasn't made it from Johannesburg to Witbank. You could walk that distance in just a few days! And that's not even pushing yourself!
Nononononono... It hasn't been been scanned by customs yet...
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

My aunt said there's a postal strike. I guess that's the permanent state of things.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Baz

Post by Baz »

Stargazing with my telescope a bit earlier. Saturn's rings were so clear.
Animew
Banter kitty

Post by Animew »

shivering in a pool of sweat after possibly THE most fucked up dream ever...

it was some real demon zombi uhuru apocalypse shit man! these hulking dudes in junk armor, breaking through the windows and for some reason trying to eat my sister in law and me. i had a machete and i was like hacking and slashing through them but there was so many Owo i was even biting dudes throats out and pulling their hair. at the end of it i was all covered in blood, spitting chunks of flesh and blood out as i escorted her to my brother. Owo for some reason i was suddenly holding a gun too now then my aunt rocks up she talks to my brother while i go to get some toilet paper to attempt to clean the blood off myself. the toilet paper was missing its middle like its been used from the inside out, then as i was using it my aunt comes up to me and takes the strange roll of toilet paper thanking me and saying something about someone having run over the cat in the lounge or something. as she was leaving my brother was like "can you believe she wanted an entire roll of toilet paper"

i woke up all disturbed with the taste of blood still lingering in my mouth.
i kinda wana get as drunk as possible as soon as possible but i'm too scared now... what if that dream was forewarning of some kinda genocide against white people!? if i'm all fucked up when they come for me, would i be able to defend myself?