What are you doing RIGHT NOW?

The place to talk about anything just generally furry. If you have a furry-related thread that doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here! Just keep it clean.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Re: What are you doing RIGHT NOW?

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

The forum spam protection was triggered shortly after the maximum user peak. It detected a known spam account from Russia. So probably just ordinary spam bots. I dunno why so many though.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Necrobat

Post by Contrast »

Still working on the 2nd draft of Ander. Found 17 pages today that I could fairly easily amputate without altering the storyline in any way, but there are some really nice bits in there that I really don't want to part with, but this damn manuscript is still so bloated and cutting 17 pages would do wonders for the pacing... Aaargh! >.<

*Reluctantly reaches for the bonesaw...* :C
Read my novel on: SoFurry | Fur Affinity | Deviant Art
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Gauteng

Post by Adagio »

Do what LOTR did and release it as an "Extended edition" and charge extra for it?

Been listening to a little thing beep SOS in Morse Code all day cause I don't know how to make it shut the hell up.

I been taksed to do some code for the mine, and its the test unit I have to work with
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Is it as annoying as that old Nokia Morse code SMS tone?
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Leeward wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:00 am Is it as annoying as that old Nokia Morse code SMS tone?
If you got 100s of SMSs throughout the day, and added flashing red lights
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

Adagio wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:54 pm Do what LOTR did and release it as an "Extended edition" and charge extra for it?
Actually, I think you just convinced me to bite the bullet and just cut the damn thing off. LOTR is a great book, but damn, whoever was in charge of editing that behemoth was one lax motherfucker. They easily could have cut hundreds of pages without harming the story at all. I still can't figure out what the point of all the Tom Bombadil stuff was. :/

Yeah. Definitely better to just cut it. I mean, does Ander really need a 17 page flashback so close to the end? Nah. Even though I love some of the parts in there, it has to go.

It actually reminds me of something good ol' Stephen King once said. You can't keep something just because it's good. It's supposed to be good. The whole thing. That's why you have to murder your darlings. Even when they scream and cry, you have to murder your darlings...

*Picks up a bottle of Betadine and a rusty old woodsman's axe...*
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

You can edit it out of the main work but still keep it elsewhere as a "DLC" for anybody who is interested though?
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

Leeward wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:00 am You can edit it out of the main work but still keep it elsewhere as a "DLC" for anybody who is interested though?
Well, barring any unforeseen developments, the raw, unedited 1st draft will always be up on SoFurry and Deviant Art, so anyone who wants to read the whole thing can always go there.

Personally, though, I think that too much extra content that doesn't contribute a whole lot to the plot isn't a good thing. It's just bloat that can end up hurting the overall quality of a story.

Sure, a scene isn't always strictly necessary, but if it contributes something, a set-up for a later event, let's say, or a bit of character development, or even just some comic relief amidst all the action, then I'll usually keep it in. But if a scene contributes next to nothing, then, even if it's good, it's usually best to just cut it.

I always try to put myself in my readers' shoes when I'm working on a 2nd draft. I ask myself: Self, would people actually enjoy reading this dream sequence, or would they just skim over it to get back to reality? Would they go: "Ooh, what an intriguing bit of symbolism..." or would they say something more along the lines of...

If it's the latter, then it's gotta go.

*Reaches for jar of Vaseline and liposuction pump.*
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Another late night. I can't deny I'm having a lot of fun but organising and running an event with >10 international speakers and ~400 participants is a lot of effort.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

So, guess who just fell from the sky and landed back here.
Heaven didn't want me and the colour scheme of hell drives you insane after a while.

This is the part where you make like a bored audience and go "hiiiiii Galaahaaaaaad".
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

All the audience is like

~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe
Species: Green Folf

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

Welcome back Galahad!

I'm currently working on a banner for this weekend's interview. Using a really neat programme called Canva
AND THEN THE CAGE COMES DOWN! The cage with the Japanese fighting spiders inside, your mother strikes a match off her forearm and tells you to dance in the front room for money... - Dylan Moran
TheOldWolf
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Wolf

Post by TheOldWolf »

Spent the evening modding a game and carefully going through the mods to make sure there's no crashes, collisions and general problems, after hours of work. Eh, didn't play it. Spend it hanging out on Twitch watching a friend's stream instead. Time well spent.

And Hello Gally-chicken-raptor, good to see your scaled face again.
Exit light, enter night. My fluffy underbelly is the sky.
Asbjorn-phoenix
Papa Bear
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: FireBear - Bear Phoenix hybrid

Post by Asbjorn-phoenix »

Not much, bears don't like heat, enough said.
If you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear,
if you've something to hide you shouldn't be here.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Ivic_VOOLFUH wrote:Welcome back Galahad!
I was promised a red carpet, Ivic. Dammit.

Haha, thanks. :) Nice to see everyone.
TheFairlyYoungHuman wrote:And Hello Gally-chicken-raptor, good to see your scaled face again.
Thanks, man. It's a scary place out there. I have to be something called a "productive member of civil society", but I can't find a WikiHow article on how to do so.
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

Galahad wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:28 pm
Ivic_VOOLFUH wrote:Welcome back Galahad!
I was promised a red carpet, Ivic. Dammit.

Haha, thanks. :) Nice to see everyone.
...oooh...sorry about that...the red carpet got a bit scuffed recently...I'll be sure to order a new one asap.

On the note as to what I'm doing right now, when I go pick Badge up, we're going to get a few brewskis, start up our fire and just chill in the back garden for the evening. I've spent the past three (non-consec) days in a class overseeing exams for 7 hours each day, then as soon as I get home, either being in some form of meeting or fighting with a program for two hours to create something that most people just kinda scroll past. XD
AND THEN THE CAGE COMES DOWN! The cage with the Japanese fighting spiders inside, your mother strikes a match off her forearm and tells you to dance in the front room for money... - Dylan Moran
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Fallout 76 ^^
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

Finished my first week of invigilation, mentally preparing myself for next week when in the space of 3 days I will receive about 150ish scripts from 5 different subjects in total. I will somehow attempt to find a way to buy a box of white wine on Wednesday and curl up in a ball while I attempt to decipher a student's attempt to make sense of their semester's work. All this while still invigilating throughout the day every day until Wednesday.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

So much stuff is happening! O.O I was worried about booking leave to come home for Christmas because still got stuff to finish for work. Now I just got a call from friends who're getting married and invited me to the wedding in December. Yeah, short notice but that's not out of character for them and its not a big wedding. Then they saw one of their grandparents is no longer going on a cruise afterwards and maybe I can join for that. Which is all great but going to put the pressure on for really getting stuff done at work.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Time to head to Vienna ComicCon I believe.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

Just finished playing the first chapter of Delta Rune...a whole plethora of feelings came rushing back <3
Baz
Species: Saber tooth Cat

Post by Baz »

Passed my last CCNA exam on Friday. Had my 1st Wedding anniversary yesterday. A job interview this morning and baby is now 4 days over due.

Right now, just a well needed chill time
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

I had a blast at D&D this weekend! We were bored while travelling so the warlock asked my bard to tell a story, which I was really happy to oblige because I had previously jotted down: "A long time ago, me and my brother Kyle here, we was hitchhikin' down a long and lonesome road..." but then once we reached our destination, I was put on the spot and had to perform for an entire town, so after rolling really well on my performance check I improvised and blurted out "Oh, there once was a hero named Ragnar the Red who came riding to Whiterun from ol' Rorikstead" and the whole table burst out laughing. I got an inspiration die after all that, really chuffed with myself. Man I love playing this guy.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Just finished my last exam.

DOBBY IS A FREE RAPTOR
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Galahad wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:55 am Just finished my last exam.

DOBBY IS A FREE RAPTOR
Ditto!

Also... Was at the post office today. 8 Months after Rakuen sent me the parcel!
And Guess what!!
Spoiler
It's still not here.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Adagio wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:20 amAlso... Was at the post office today. 8 Months after Rakuen sent me the parcel!
While it has taken a long time, it hasn't been that long. My slip says I sent it at the end of May. It's been about 6 months. Not really much better...
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:30 pm
Adagio wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:20 amAlso... Was at the post office today. 8 Months after Rakuen sent me the parcel!
While it has taken a long time, it hasn't been that long. My slip says I sent it at the end of May. It's been about 6 months. Not really much better...
Oh crap!
I had mixed up march and may....
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Just got back from a run. I haven't exercised or run properly in 6 weeks (exams, stress, other things), and my physical form has slipped so much. But I ran to get out some anger and frustration, and boy did it work - broke my record despite being unfit. Weird how emotion seems to overpower physical weakness.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Busy packing for my flight to Cape Town tomorrow morning. Really excited! :D Going there to do vacation work for an aerospace firm and also stay and hang out with friends.
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

On my way to Bethlehem. Apearently our church started thinger there. And of course, they need me to do audio and projection for the big event tonight...

Seriously don't want to go. :|