What are you doing RIGHT NOW?

The place to talk about anything just generally furry. If you have a furry-related thread that doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here! Just keep it clean.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Re: What are you doing RIGHT NOW?

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Well since somehow I messed up my Linux boot, I am using Windows again until I fix it. Which is made more difficult by not knowing what went wrong... In any case, Windows takes forever to start up! I forget how painfully slow it is.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Gauteng

Post by Adagio »

With how much practice I've been having with the command line, switching sounds a bit intriguing lately.... Though software I need to use is only Windows compatible.

Added in 29 minutes 51 seconds:
Well... This is interisting. My down speed has halved. But my upload speed has doubled... :?
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:27 amWindows takes forever to start up!
My PC takes 15 seconds from power button press to login screen. I would hardly call that forever.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

You're lucky. Mine took forever to start up. When I had Linux on the same harddrive it still went super fast, so was a Windows issue for me.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe
Species: Green Folf

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

A poem I wrote and submitted to Thurston Howl has been accepted into an anthology!
AND THEN THE CAGE COMES DOWN! The cage with the Japanese fighting spiders inside, your mother strikes a match off her forearm and tells you to dance in the front room for money... - Dylan Moran
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Sooo... This is strange... Been having internet problems for the last while. And I may just have found the problem.

I installed a new NIC on my server, gate it a separate IP. Didn't configure DNS or gateway stuff, since I only wanted the internet to be accessable through the primary NIC. And connected both to my switch.
Apearently this caused some kinda problem. Cause I unplugged that cable from my patch panel right now. And all my internet issues are solved...
:ugeek:
Any sysadmins got any idea what happened there?
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Adagio wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:55 pm Any sysadmins got any idea what happened there?
You should ask Arty, it's kind of his thing.

As for me, I'm preparing for a final interview tomorrow morning.

Also breathing a sigh of relief that our DM decided to postpone the next session because two out of eight party members (myself included) can't make it on the long weekend because family.
Trace
Snep's Best Doggo
Species: Wolfdog/Shapeshifter

Post by Trace »

Ivic_Wulfe wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:15 am A poem I wrote and submitted to Thurston Howl has been accepted into an anthology!
Congratulations, Ivic! Having seen your poem, I know that it is well deserved. I can't wait to see it published.
Leeward wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:35 pm As for me, I'm preparing for a final interview tomorrow morning.
Best of luck with your interview, Leeward!
"I change shapes just to hide in this place, but I'm still, I'm still an animal" -Miike Snow, 'Animal'
"Where there's life, there's hope."-Terence
Baz
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Saber tooth Cat

Post by Baz »

Adagio wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:55 pm Sooo... This is strange... Been having internet problems for the last while. And I may just have found the problem.

I installed a new NIC on my server, gate it a separate IP. Didn't configure DNS or gateway stuff, since I only wanted the internet to be accessable through the primary NIC. And connected both to my switch.
Apearently this caused some kinda problem. Cause I unplugged that cable from my patch panel right now. And all my internet issues are solved...
:ugeek:
Any sysadmins got any idea what happened there?
You could try run a wireshark capture and see where the traffic is going? I could help you read it. I suspect that new NIC which will probably then just be dropping the traffic. Did you see if any new weird routes popped up in the routing table? I am not very good with windows but maybe there is like a NIC priority or metric preference for where network traffic goes out?
Leeward wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:35 pm As for me, I'm preparing for a final interview tomorrow morning.
Goodluck and also how did it go? Feeling good?
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

@Baz

Turns out it was the ISP? Cause the problem has raised its head again. It looks like it's the feed PtP connextion to the ISPs highsite..?
I'm collecting data...
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Baz wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:02 am
Goodluck and also how did it go? Feeling good?
They'll tell me after I do a psychometric test next week. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Sharing folders with my media player on Linux is more annoying than I expected. Mostly got it working though!
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:41 am Sharing folders with my media player on Linux is more annoying than I expected. Mostly got it working though!
Do what I do and set up a plex server? Maybe throw in a samba share?
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

I did get Samba set up. Still far more complicated than Windows and far more complicated that it needs to be. Even some of the tools that were supposed to work, didn't work even when the required packages were installed.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:23 am I did get Samba set up. Still far more complicated than Windows and far more complicated that it needs to be. Even some of the tools that were supposed to work, didn't work even when the required packages were installed.
Well... Linux is made for free... So... You can't expect them to have everything working with everyone.
And it's made by developers for developers. And developers like things like this. Things they have root access to the core of things...

Looking back now at my setup... I can see the appeal of editing a text file to change the filename of my Samba Share...
I got control over read and write access which I appreciate. And finer user control, which I'm certainly using.

But I get what you mean, considering it took me years of googling to figure out how to change the network setup without taking the server out of it's cabinet and plugging in a display...
And I ended up messing it up, and had to take it out anyway...

And then I get what you mean with Dependencies too... I had some software working, when suddenly, it wasn't anymore. I tried restarting it, and it said that some tool wasn't installed that I know I installed. So I tried reinstalling it... Didn't work...
Still doesn't'. It says it requires a version of the software that doesn't exist yet...
It's not mission critical. So... I'm gonna leave it for now...
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Adagio wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:12 am Well... [thing] is made for free... So... You can't expect them to have everything working with everyone.
I have a problem with this mentality. Doing something pro bono isn't an excuse to do a shitty job. Charities and non-profits are a prime example of this. Oh, the shelter dogs are being left out all day with no water? Too bad, go water them yourself if you don't want them to die of dehydration. Oh, you got bad legal advice from the legal clinic because you can't afford a lawyer? That's what you get for being a cheapskate. Oh, your soup has a cockroach in it? Be grateful for the free extra protein, homeless person. Ever heard any of those things? Yeah, me neither.
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Adagio wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:12 am Well... Linux is made for free... So... You can't expect them to have everything working with everyone.
No one said they were doing a bad job. In fact the rest of my message was saying the contrary...
There's reasons behind it.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Oh I know, I'm quite a fan of Linux and FOSS in general myself.

It's just the way you phrased that particular sentence that reminded me of someone. 🙃
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Well those tools should've been working. But what I was complaining about was the unnecessary complexity of setting anything up. I get the fine grain and what have you but not everyone needs that. It would make a lot more sense to have a usable set of defaults which will work for the most common use cases. If someone is going to go through and do heavy customization then they might as well start by altering those defaults then beginning from scratch; it also lowers the learning curve. But if we take setting up Samba as an example, the instructions begin by installing the package then mention that you need a configuration file but none is provided and you might as well download the annotated example from Git as a starting point. So the question is, why isn't that automatically downloaded? If you're going to do advanced customization, you can go through the minuscule effort of deleting it. If you just want the standard or are new, then it needs to be downloaded anyway so including it, a necessary file, by default is simpler. Having a set of defaults probably also makes troubleshooting or interacting with that package a lot more predictable.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

Left my cigarettes at home today... Gonna be on campus for at least 4 hours while invigilating... Will see if I can make it for that time without having one... And without killing a student. Gods help them all...
AND THEN THE CAGE COMES DOWN! The cage with the Japanese fighting spiders inside, your mother strikes a match off her forearm and tells you to dance in the front room for money... - Dylan Moran
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Well on that note... private use of cannabis has just been decriminalised.

https://citizen.co.za/news/south-africa ... nal-court/
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Relaxing in my parents tub while they're away to Dullstroom. Need a bit of alone time. Been a long week.

Why their tub? Well cause it's a small Jacuzzi of course... Hahaha!
Hasn't been on in forever and black gunk came out of the pipes. So I flushed it.
Also. Miiiight have spraypainted the walls with water by accident. :?

For those interested. I'm pretty damn sure I got the mine gig. So. May be getting into a small fortune soon enough.
They loved my proposal, particularly the fact it was non proprietary and cheap.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Adagio's about to be rolling in mining money! :O

I decided to start doing a blind Let's Play series. Currently I've uploaded two episodes of Inherit the Earth: Quest for the Orb. I didn't do very well on the first one by things are picking up now! (Three episodes recorded.)

~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

I got the job! I start on Monday! :D
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:00 pm Adagio's about to be rolling in mining money! :O
I don't know yet! Ordered the parts for the prototype... XD
Leeward wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:40 pm I got the job! I start on Monday! :D
Well done Lee! Hope it's everything you dreamt about!
Baz
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Saber tooth Cat

Post by Baz »

Leeward wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:40 pm I got the job! I start on Monday! :D
Yes! Awsome congrats! :D
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Thank you!

I'm going to test run an art stream today at 2, if anybody tunes in please say hi :)
https://picarto.tv/leeward
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

I'll possibly jump in!

While thinking about two truths and a lie I managed to find myself thinking about all the things that had happened while our family was still a family. >_>; I'm glad in some ways I don't need to do that too often...
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Feeling frustrated that I can't really game because if anything tries using my graphics card, the PC just freezes up a few minutes later. x.x
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Asbjorn-phoenix
Papa Bear
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: FireBear - Bear Phoenix hybrid

Post by Asbjorn-phoenix »

Trying not to get too annoyed with my brother.
Not seen him in 4 years, lives in Netherlands.
We can only handle each other in small doses and after 3 days we're getting there...
If you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear,
if you've something to hide you shouldn't be here.