Thaitails 2018

The place to talk about anything just generally furry. If you have a furry-related thread that doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here! Just keep it clean.
jacojerb
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: bunny/fox
Region: Gauteng

Thaitails 2018

Post by jacojerb »

So, this year, me and Dasc went to our first real furry convention: Thaitails 2018! It seems to be one of the biggest, if not the biggest, furry convention in South-East Asia. I'm not sure how many people attended, but it was hundreds! I wouldn't be surprised if it's near 500 people in total

It all started with registration. Because we didn't know how it works, about 3 weeks before the event, we tried to register. Prices were fair, being 350 baht for a normal ticket, which includes a con badge, 1000 baht for "sponsor", which also included a t-shirt, and 2000 baht for super sponsor, which had more goodies. We wanted to be sponsors, but by the time we tried to register, we were told we'd have to just get normal tickets on the day, except it's 400 baht instead of 350, and we didn't get con badges ;-;

So we show up, pay and everything, and then the fun started. So many great fursuits! Though a lot of the attendees were Thai, there were people from all over Asia, including people from Japan. Seeing as many Thai people can't speak English fluently (Even the presenters on stage struggled from time to time), and seeing as a lot of foreigners can't speak Thai, all announcements were made in Thai as well as English

There were enough English people that we quickly made friends, and met up with some furs we've seen before. With it being furs, everyone was super friendly! We played some cards against humanity, had a great time

There were various acts on the stage, mostly fursuiters dancing (some more impressive than others, but in fursuits, it's still fun to watch), but also a guy with a really nice fursuit head playing the violin.

There was an artists alley. I ended up spending much more money than I should have, but where else will I find these kinds of things?

At around 6:30, we had the closing ceremony. There was a raffle, for charity, with some nice prizes to be won, including a very nice fursuit head. A young girl ended up winning it, which was great. Speaking of, there was a few kids with fursuits, who had to come with their parents. I personally wouldn't get a kid a fursuit, especially seeing as they'll grow out of it in no time, but it was really great to see. Before they took their heads off, me and Dasc were debating if it's just a short person, or a kid.

After the event ended, there was the after party (which cost another 650 baht ;-;). It started with a buffet dinner, which was great, and then there was a dance party. Which was amazing! Fursuit dance party is best dance party, with glow sticks and everything (Though, I will admit, the DJ really wasn't great). Had fun dancing, talking to furs and having some beers

At 10PM, the after party ended, and we had to leave the venue... Which then just led to the after-after party, which took place in someone's hotel room. I'm pretty sure we broke some regulations, there was about 40 people in the one hotel room, which was just meant for 2 people. There, we kept drinking, chatting, listening to music and such, just having a merry time

At around 1AM, I decided to call it a night, seeing as we still had a taxi ride home... Luckily, staying in bangkok, you never have any problem finding a taxi, regardless of the time of day.

I really loved the convention. It was really great, seeing such great fursuits and all that, but the best part of the convention for me was just spending time with furs. Friendliest bunch of people you can ever meet! It does make me sad though. They don't really do regular furmeets here like we do in South-Africa. In a few days, I'll have been in Thailand for a year.... I really miss you guys, braai's at Victors and at Yukon's, our furry camps, everything. It's nice knowing that the furs here are just as friendly, if you can get them together, but still... I really friggen miss you guys!

Attaching a few photo's at the bottom here:
Attachments
fursuit pics 3.jpg
fursuit pics 2.jpg
Here's all the loot we got from the artists alley... Some of it more SFW than others
Here's all the loot we got from the artists alley... Some of it more SFW than others
Here's Dasc
Here's Dasc
Here's me with a colly
Here's me with a colly
Mew?
Dasc-Crescent
Species: Wolf
Region: Other

Re: Thaitails 2018

Post by Dasc-Crescent »

I spoke to the organisers after the after-party,
The exact number of attendees was 998, just two off!

They didn't count, but estimated just over 100 or so fursuiters, It was a little hard to keep track because fursuits just kept popping in out of nowhere, we had to reshoot the group photo probably 10-15 times because suddenly more appeared out of the woodwork, and one even made their first appearance half an hour into the After-After Party!

The furs were coming from all around SE Asia, quite a few people from Taiwan, South Korea and Japan specifically, many bringing drinks from their homeland, so we got a nice tour of flavours from around Asia, although by the time the After-After Party kicked in, Red Cock and EST Cola tasted delicious to me :p

It really was an amazing event and I'm so glad I could be a part of it!
Especially since recently I've really been missing the furmeets and friends back in SA, this helped me feel a little less homesick.
If the world's at large, why should I remain
Darq
Species: Kitteh =3

Post by Darq »

998 attendees? That's amazing! They've grown so much. I went to ThaiTails two years ago, and they capped their attendance at 100 tickets, I think there were 103 guests in total.

I'm glad to hear they're doing well, the furs that I met in Thailand and Malaysia were really friendly and welcoming.
You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars, you have a right to be here.
Backpackcat. Enby, they / them. Telegram and Twitter: @Darq_At
Dasc-Crescent
Species: Wolf

Post by Dasc-Crescent »

Darq wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:25 am 998 attendees? That's amazing! They've grown so much. I went to ThaiTails two years ago, and they capped their attendance at 100 tickets, I think there were 103 guests in total.

I'm glad to hear they're doing well, the furs that I met in Thailand and Malaysia were really friendly and welcoming.
Speaking of, a Malaysian fur asked about you and Yukon when I said I'm from SA, I can't remember his name right now, I was slightly drunk at the time and he wasn't wearing his name badge.
I guess it's a small world after all!
If the world's at large, why should I remain
Splicer-Fox
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Fox fennec springbok thing

Post by Splicer-Fox »

How difficult is it to learn Thai?
jacojerb
Species: bunny/fox

Post by jacojerb »

Splicer-Fox wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:15 am How difficult is it to learn Thai?
Very. Whereas the English language uses different tones to convey emotion and such, Thai uses them for different words. Every syllable has 5 different tones, each meaning 5 different words (well, in some cases. Not all 5 have meanings with all words). Since we're not used to it, these 5 words sound more or less the same to us.

Though, if you do learn their alphabet, and master using the different tones, it should be easier. You can then just learn it by reading everything, as the way you read it is the way you say it. It's not like English where the same letter can have a different sound.

Of course, the word order is also different. Where we say "The fat dog", they'll say "the dog fat", for example.

Completely different roots, which really doesn't make my job as a teacher different. It's especially hard, trying to get them to talk with some emotion, instead of just using a flat tone the whole time
Mew?
Trace
Snep's Best Doggo
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Wolfdog/Shapeshifter

Post by Trace »

That's really awesome! I'm glad that you guys had a good time. :3
"I change shapes just to hide in this place, but I'm still, I'm still an animal" -Miike Snow, 'Animal'
"Where there's life, there's hope."-Terence