Popularity of Fursona Species

The place to talk about anything just generally furry. If you have a furry-related thread that doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here! Just keep it clean.
Galahad
Region: Gauteng

Popularity of Fursona Species

Post by Galahad »

WikiFur has an interesting list of the most popular fursona species that I found quite interesting. Check it out: [ CLICK ]
It does include a foreword that the sample data collected was not completely authoritative and thus might not be generalizable to every region that has furries in it. However, I'd imagine the patterns do not vary too much geographically, and it is still interesting to look at.

The data was collected across several years: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2011 and 2016. The positions of most of the items do tend to change, but there is not too much variation in the top 5 species.

The latest list (2016) puts these species as the top 5 most popular for fursonas:
1. Fox
2. Wolf
3. Dog (Domestic; Any breed)
4. Dragon
5. Cat (Domestic; Any breed)

Anyone familiar with the furry fandom will not be overly surprised at the species on that list. :P What I found noteworthy was how the fox overtook the wolf as the most popular from about 2011 onwards. I wonder why.

The 5 least popular of the species on which data was collected, were these:

19. Dinosaur
20. Squirrel
21. Jackal
22. Deer
23. Bat

Given how the total number of species appears to change with each list, it is difficult to compare on a more specific level. However, what struck me as interesting was how 'dinosaur' did not see too much of an increase even with the release of the wildly popular box office bomb Jurassic World in 2015. Come on! How am I going to form and lead my own raptor pack to take over the world, at this rate? ;)

What are your thoughts and opinions on this? Does your species appear on the list? Why do you think some species are far more popular than others?
Cape_F0X
Light-footed
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Vulpes chama
Region: Western Cape

Re: Popularity of Fursona Species

Post by Cape_F0X »

Sorry Galahad, The Good Dinosaur ruined it for your species. Go Vulpes!
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Yeah, that's just the [adjective][species] furry survey data. If you use their site you can even fiddle around with it and compare some things. Then it shows you things like more male foxes and female cats, proportionally.
http://vis.adjectivespecies.com/species-popularity/

Edit: They have several lists. Only one of which is from [adjective][species] and is really old.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic
Species: Necrobat

Post by Contrast »

Galahad wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:40 pm The 5 least popular of the species on which data was collected, were these:

19. Dinosaur
20. Squirrel
21. Jackal
22. Deer
23. Bat
But I... wha?

Read my novel on: SoFurry | Fur Affinity | Deviant Art
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

There's like 10x more bat furs than koala furs so you've got that going for you. Though only 1,9% of furs are bats...
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Cape_F0X
Light-footed

Post by Cape_F0X »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:37 pm There's like 10x more bat furs than koala furs so you've got that going for you. Though only 1,9% of furs are bats...
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Contrast wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:24 pm
Galahad wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:40 pm The 5 least popular of the species on which data was collected, were these:

19. Dinosaur
20. Squirrel
21. Jackal
22. Deer
23. Bat
But I... wha?
Hey at least yours is on the list. :P

Personally I would see it as being unique rather than unpopular.
Animew
Banter kitty
Species: Animu cat

Post by Animew »

UwU/ rather go by yiff! its more reliable.
we felines have 187218 images to our name on e621
bats have 12885
bovine have 19338
foxes have 113968
pokemon have 128693
OwO and scaly versus furry:
mammals have 995928
reptile has 51011
wait Owo but...
scalies have 129963

kiiiiinda confusing but ok... i guess birds are scalies?
it just goes to show, felines are superior.
Duck face? i thought they were all just making fart noises when posing for pictures...
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:Yeah, that's just the [adjective][species] furry survey data. If you use their site you can even fiddle around with it and compare some things. Then it shows you things like more male foxes and female cats, proportionally.
http://vis.adjectivespecies.com/species-popularity/
Hey, now that is a nifty little tool! Thanks for sharing the link.
According to it, there were 21 female (sex and gender), heterosexual raptor respondents. If you'll excuse me, I need to go... prospecting. ;)

What I found interesting was how there was a very similar proportion of females (out of females) who chose dragons, compared to males. 9.63% and 9.71%, respectively. I guess dragons are not as male-centric as I had anticipated them to be.
Contrast wrote:But I... wha?
If it's any consolation, Contrast... Maybe you are like a super rare Pokemon! Everyone wants to catch you, but they just don't know where to look. :P
Animew wrote:UwU/ rather go by yiff! its more reliable.
Do you even percentage, bro?
Cape_F0X
Light-footed

Post by Cape_F0X »

I think the month of love is affecting Galahad.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Ah, mon amour! Où sont toutes les dames? Oui oui!
CyntheWightRabbit

Post by CyntheWightRabbit »

Galahad wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:40 pm However, what struck me as interesting was how 'dinosaur' did not see too much of an increase even with the release of the wildly popular box office bomb Jurassic World in 2015.
I'm sure Jaw's did the same for spawning various Shark-sonas.

Real question though, I've only watched the original Jurassic Park movies, but was my perception of what the recent one would be about completely wrong? I mean, surely it doesn't stray that far from the source material for people to find the dinosaurs attractive/cool enough to spawn furries outta them? Or is there a scene in the movie I should be concerned about?
Sarcasm in the lowest form of wit.
Cape_F0X
Light-footed

Post by Cape_F0X »

The movie had too much product placement. If they focused more on the dinosaurs and less on a certain car brand, I'm sure it would have caused a increase in people identifying themselves as great lizards.
YoteFox
Species: Arctic Sabre Fox

Post by YoteFox »

Hmmm interesting

I sure would like to know what people's motivations are for choosing a certain species. I chose fox because I like the fursuits of foxes, could that be seen as a pop culture influenced reason?

Honestly I thought we'd see a great increase in Fox and bunny sonas after Zootopia but I didn't notice much significance or did I miss that part?
I'd rather be fursuiting

Suit up and it will make you feel better
- Pepper Coyote

People get built different. We don't need to figure it out, we just need to respect it. Maybe he likes his company more than I like mine - Princess Bubblegum
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

CyntheWightRabbit" wrote:I'm sure Jaw's did the same for spawning various Shark-sonas.
Naturally! Ah, 1975 to 1987 - the golden age of the furry fandom, where extensive data was being collected and the fandom was bigger and more relevant than it had ever been.

... Oh. Wait.
CyntheWightRabbit wrote:I mean, surely it doesn't stray that far from the source material for people to find the dinosaurs attractive/cool enough to spawn furries outta them?
I know, right? It is not as if they are cool enough to have one of the highest grossing movie series of all time featuring them. Obviously boring and repulsive subject material that no audience wants to see.

... Oh. Wait.
superlegend
Species: Hyena
Region: Freestate

Post by superlegend »

Galahad wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:40 pm WikiFur has an interesting list of the most popular fursona species that I found quite interesting. Check it out: [ CLICK ]
It does include a foreword that the sample data collected was not completely authoritative and thus might not be generalizable to every region that has furries in it. However, I'd imagine the patterns do not vary too much geographically, and it is still interesting to look at.

The data was collected across several years: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2011 and 2016. The positions of most of the items do tend to change, but there is not too much variation in the top 5 species.

The latest list (2016) puts these species as the top 5 most popular for fursonas:
1. Fox
2. Wolf
3. Dog (Domestic; Any breed)
4. Dragon
5. Cat (Domestic; Any breed)

Anyone familiar with the furry fandom will not be overly surprised at the species on that list. :P What I found noteworthy was how the fox overtook the wolf as the most popular from about 2011 onwards. I wonder why.

The 5 least popular of the species on which data was collected, were these:

19. Dinosaur
20. Squirrel
21. Jackal
22. Deer
23. Bat

Given how the total number of species appears to change with each list, it is difficult to compare on a more specific level. However, what struck me as interesting was how 'dinosaur' did not see too much of an increase even with the release of the widly popular box office bomb Jurassic World in 2015. Come on! How am I going to form and lead my own raptor pack to take over the world, at this rate? ;)

What are your thoughts and opinions on this? Does your species appear on the list? Why do you think some species are far more popular than others?
I wish Lombax was on there
Where one movement ends
The next one begins