I think I'm more interested in anthros as fantasy characters than because they're physically animals

The place to talk about anything just generally furry. If you have a furry-related thread that doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here! Just keep it clean.
Traden
Sexual preference: Bi-mostly gay
Species: Leopard
Region: Other

I think I'm more interested in anthros as fantasy characters than because they're physically animals

Post by Traden »

I think one of the biggest reasons I love anthros is because they remind me of ancient mythologies and very imaginative children's books. I absolutely love the imagery from those two genres of story, and I spend a lot of my time thinking about existentialism, so the themes of myths and some trippier children's books (like this one: https://www.google.com/search?q=tuesday ... k&tbm=isch) appeal to me, too.

I've noticed that a lot of my favorite games, movies, and books have anthros, draw heavily on the imagery from myths or children's books, and have existential themes. Undertale and Okami are two games that show this off in spades.

At MFF, Trace and I attended a panel about making the fact that anthro characters are animals relevant when writing. It talked a lot about incorporating the physiology of animals into stories. But I think for me, it is enough to use anthros to establish that a story is going to take place in a very colorful fantasy story.
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Necrobat

Re: I think I'm more interested in anthros as fantasy characters than because they're physically animals

Post by Contrast »

In the novel I'm writing, the anthro's could be replaced by humans without losing too much of the plot, but this would detract from the overall experience, I think. Their animalistic qualities come to the forefront especially when they're fighting (they definitely do not fight like humans do) and also in the way they perceive their world, especially when it comes to their sense of smell.

So for me, I guess my story falls somewhere in-between those two viewpoints.
Read my novel on: SoFurry | Fur Affinity | Deviant Art