"Furry duty/obligation"

The place to talk about anything just generally furry. If you have a furry-related thread that doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here! Just keep it clean.
YoteFox
Species: Arctic Sabre Fox

"Furry duty/obligation"

Post by YoteFox »

First of all, hello everyone new and old I haven't posted here in who knows how long. Been really busy with all the kinds of things that life sends my way. Finishing up my degree soon. Anyway let me not delay anymore and get to the "story" I want to tell...This is not a vent, this is me telling a story to you

Where do I begin... hmm...
Okay right of the bat, furries, you know those weird animal people loving internet subculture types yeh?
Well lemme tell you what, overly attached doesn't even begin to describe them.

Okay no I had to take a jab at furries, it's all in good sport you know.

So I've lately been realising something about the general furry person thing and by the gods it annoys the fuck out of me. There is this general could I say pretense that you have a duty as a furry to be everyone's friend and because you are a furry, you HAVE to be my friend. Look I understand the community and what not but for fuck sake, I have no duty or obligation toward you in any sense and if you feel I do well you can fuck right off ^.^

No seriously I use very strong wording in this sense because it's something that annoys me to my very core, I've had random furries from America(Not exclusively) call me when I'm in class or busy driving because they somehow got my contact details through the ether and they consider themselves my friends... Why?? BECAUSE THE FURRY LABEL :lol:

Now boy howdy do I find it ever funny (I really don't) if some random furry messages me on FB, FA, TG or FUCKING WHATSAPP trying to RP with me or trying to willfully force their way into my friendzone so to speak.

Okay annoying banter and playful jabbing aside. Time for seriousity(TM)
There is no such thing as me having an obligation or duty as a furry to be either your friend or hang out with you, believe it or not free will actually exists and I can choose my friends.
I have no obligation toward the furry fandom either in any sense because I can't remember signing a contract at the day of my inception in the ever exclusive furry community.

My point you ask? Well hold on I'm getting there...

As much as I really love hanging out with furries and I do mean this from the bottom of my heart, just as much would I like to have some personal space in life and I'm sure this is applicable to mostly anyone in the community. Some of you guys make the community a job in a sense, being a furry isn't a job and it doesn't pay in any sense to make it a job. Just enjoy the community for what it is, stop trying to fulfill some unwritten duty toward your fellow anthro loving freak and just enjoy it.

This isn't everyone and I'm not implying this is everyone at all, but it is quite a general consensus in the community that we as furries have some sort of obligation or duty toward each other and the community and we really don't. I absolutely HATE it when I have a small meetup and somehow the word spreads that we went there on that day and didn't invite the entire community in the southern hemisphere, like seriously chill the fuck out.

At the end of the day, I enjoy the furry community for what it is even though there are some...maybe a lot, of people that tend to make it somewhat unhealthy space to be in. The things I do, fursuiting, the plot meet and whatever else I do in the community is because I enjoy it, not because I have to for the sake of furries.
Let me put it simply as I can:
Just because I'm a furry and you're a furry too doesn't automatically make us friends
With that comes all the above said as well

Don't even get me started on those wanting psychological help out of the fucking blue
Conversation goes
Furry: Hiya! *Pounces and licks you*
Me: Uhm. Hi
Furry: My name is Twinkle Fox Glitter Brain, I'm from the fire nation...(Tells irrelevant back story)
Me: My furname is Yote, but I guess you already knew that
Furry: Hehe yeah, I saw it on your instagram
Furry: I need someone I can trust, someone I can call a best friend. I am a very hated person in the community. I don't understand why. Will you be my fwend?
Furry: *Rests head on your chest fur*
Me: Well... uhm, okay?
Furry: Yaysies!!! *Licks your face and flops around* I have a furiend *Curls up by your feet humming safe space*
(This was taken from a multitude legit conversations I have had)

I never speak to these type of people again lol
But I must put emphasis on the fact that I won't ever turn anyone away from trying to be my friend or actually trying to get to know me just don't play the furry card on me. If we can be friends for reasons above and beyond the furry fandom then I know you are legit interested in being my friend.
Well that was a fun thread to write!

(Admin if you feel this isn't in the appropriate place please move as you wish)
I'd rather be fursuiting

Suit up and it will make you feel better
- Pepper Coyote

People get built different. We don't need to figure it out, we just need to respect it. Maybe he likes his company more than I like mine - Princess Bubblegum
TheOldWolf
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Wolf
Region: Gauteng

Re: "Furry duty/obligation"

Post by TheOldWolf »

Heh - stories like these always remind me of the whole - your friends in school aren't really your true friends thing. You're all in one big shared lot together, but that doesn't mean you have any real bond or connection with the people around you - they're acquaintances - treated in a friendly manner, sure, because that's nice, but they're just that, acquaintances.

I agree with the fact that there is a general vibe and culture of being friendly, of being nice and quick to call another person "friend" and it is as you've said, simply because you share the same interest, doesn't make us all friends and a happy family.

"As much as I really love hanging out with furries and I do mean this from the bottom of my heart, just as much would I like to have some personal space in life and I'm sure this is applicable to mostly anyone in the community. Some of you guys make the community a job in a sense, being a furry isn't a job and it doesn't pay in any sense to make it a job. Just enjoy the community for what it is, stop trying to fulfill some unwritten duty toward your fellow anthro loving freak and just enjoy it."

This is something I keep quite close to my heart, I make a clear define between "furry friends" and those of whom I keep close because I know the humans behind them. Yes, I love the true friends of whom I only know as furries, but they won't get to see the parts of the human who exists.

I'll be friendly because that's a nice thing to do. I'll treat you nice because being an asshole without purpose is moronic.
Sure, you can call me your friend if you want - that's on you - but don't expect me to return the favor because we're both furries.

If you want something of me, furries, then get to know me for me, not just as a fursona, but as a human too.

In short, I whole heartedly agree with what your discovering for yourself, Yote.

Anywho, that's my little two cents. \._./
Exit light, enter night. My fluffy underbelly is the sky.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Honestly Yote, I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who disagrees with you on this.

My 2c, you're too nice. :P Turn people away if they make you feel uncomfortable, and if they won't respect your boundaries, block them. Simple as that.
Eylof
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Wolf
Region: Western Cape
Location: Monte Vista , plattekloof glen , in your nightmares... joke ^^

Post by Eylof »

""Don't even get me started on those wanting psychological help out of the fucking blue
Conversation goes
Furry: Hiya! *Pounces and licks you*
Me: Uhm. Hi
Furry: My name is Twinkle Fox Glitter Brain, I'm from the fire nation...(Tells irrelevant back story)
Me: My furname is Yote, but I guess you already knew that
Furry: Hehe yeah, I saw it on your instagram
Furry: I need someone I can trust, someone I can call a best friend. I am a very hated person in the community. I don't understand why. Will you be my fwend?
Furry: *Rests head on your chest fur*
Me: Well... uhm, okay?
Furry: Yaysies!!! *Licks your face and flops around* I have a furiend *Curls up by your feet humming safe space*
(This was taken from a multitude legit conversations I have had)""

HAHAHA I can relate to that Yote... it makes me uncomfortable especially when i dont know you...if you are underage etc.
I too don't like it that "friendship" is forced onto me ... personalities clash you cant always be friends with everyone ... we dont live in a perfect world, people wont get along and they should just understand that.
~The problem is not the problem... the problem is your attitude towards the problem~ Cpt. Jack Sparrow