Connecting to the fandom?

The place to talk about anything just generally furry. If you have a furry-related thread that doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here! Just keep it clean.
TheOldWolf
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Wolf
Region: Gauteng

Connecting to the fandom?

Post by TheOldWolf »

So I have done some pondering - and have come to a conclusion; I want to be more exposed and involved in the artistic side of the furry community at large.
To this extend I have determined it's import to develop a social identity and network, not only this - but a suitable work ethic should that be required of me.

However I have come to an impass from the start of my pondering - I have no idea how to get connected socially with other people.

Now I feel it is important to out line a few of my goals: Primarily I want to develop friendships and form working relationships with others.
Secondly: I want to establish myself as something of a short story writer.
Thirdly: Make trades or order commissions from others.

TO this end I have created a secondary email account which will be everything furry related and I have set up a FurAffinity account - Short of simply posting and following others I am stumped for ideas to move forward: Does anyone have any advice or suggestions for how to develop myself and for other places to get connected with?

Thanks in advance,
And humbly yours;
Halcyon, The Old Wolf.
Exit light, enter night. My fluffy underbelly is the sky.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Re: Connecting to the fandom?

Post by Leeward »

Networking, networking, networking. They say it's not about what you know but about who you know, and they're right. Get in touch with as many people as you can. The ball will start rolling from there. :)
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Well I would advise not limiting yourself to FurAffinity. There are a lot of furs there but there are also lots of furs that were banned for no reason or who have given up on the site completely because of how it was/is run. You should really consider also joining Inkbunny and SoFurry. Especially SoFurry if you want to do writing since it's still one of the best places to post furry writing and has the most community features.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
TheOldWolf

Post by TheOldWolf »

Oh?
Yes thank you Rakuen, I shall stick my snout into those places then!
Thanks, this is the type of information I was looking for!
Erdwolf_TVL
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Aardwolf
Region: Western Cape

Post by Erdwolf_TVL »

Check out the furry writer's guild. The website and forum are okay, but it links to a very lively Slack Chat and GoodReads community.

https://furrywritersguild.com/
Vulpest
Species: Umbreon

Post by Vulpest »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:Well I would advise not limiting yourself to FurAffinity. There are a lot of furs there but there are also lots of furs that were banned for no reason or who have given up on the site completely because of how it was/is run.
:roll: and it can't seem to stop getting hacked. FA is the most mainstream furry website however so it's good to keep an account there, you should also try deviant art for networking as it's the most active, socially.
Above all else remember, this will take time so don't stress if at first it seems nothing's happening. It's taken most popfurs a minimum of 6-8years to get popular, it took me 3 years just to get set up and get regulars.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Eh... DeviantArt isn't furry-focussed and the site itself is just horrible.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

It's still better than FA, that's for sure.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

No. FA is better than DeviantArt. The audience on FA is almost exclusively furry. The rules on FA allow for greater range of content. The FA interface is consistent and easy to use. DeviantArt's entire site is an ugly mess, inconsistent among profiles and makes browsing slow. DeviantArt has annoying pop ups if you use an ad blocker. Not all of the images on DeviantArt can be easily downloaded and even those that can sometimes have their filenames as only a string of random characters. Replying to comments on DeviantArt can sometimes not work properly.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic
Species: Necrobat

Post by Contrast »

FA's story uploader is garbage, though.
Read my novel on: SoFurry | Fur Affinity | Deviant Art
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

I didn't say FA is good. Just that it's better than DeviantArt.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Vulpest

Post by Vulpest »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:I didn't say FA is good. Just that it's better than DeviantArt.
On DA there are groups that you can use to connect to more spesiffic kinds of furs. DA is indeed broad and not specifically furry but there are more active social focused furs on it than the mainstream furry art websites. :? Or at least that's what I've experienced personally.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

In terms of functionality, interface, aesthetics, security, and scalability, DA is unquestionably superior.

Also you get the people who aren't so deep into furry that their whole lives revolve around it on DA, and I'd rather interact with those, personally.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Leeward wrote:In terms of functionality, interface, aesthetics, security, and scalability, DA is unquestionably superior.
Is that the slogan for their 2019 general elections poster?
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Leeward wrote:In terms of functionality, interface, aesthetics, security, and scalability, DA is unquestionably superior.
Okay, now I know you're trolling.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Vulpest

Post by Vulpest »

:lol: I'm with rakuen on his assessment of DA but when it comes to actively social people for networking and making friends DA is still your best bet, Even for furs.
Cape_F0X
Light-footed
Species: Vulpes chama

Post by Cape_F0X »

What about AfriForum?
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:
Okay, now I know you're trolling.
Disagreeing =/= trolling. Either way, it's partly a matter of opinion, but the fact that DA has dynamic pages and FA doesn't already says a lot.
TheOldWolf

Post by TheOldWolf »

o.O

This is a lot to read through.
I will poke my nose into deviant art, I am familiar with it as a person browsing it, some four years ago - I suspect it has changed since then!

Well, then - time to see if this pet project gets off the ground! Extremities crosses.
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Species: Werewolf

Post by Valerion »

Personal opinion: There's some douchebags on dA that put me off with their comments. But then, I feel the same about a lot of Internet sites, especially the comments section on YouTube. For some reason it just brings out the worst in some people. After a while you learn to filter and such, but that is one reason I don't go to dA at all. Size also has something to do with this. It's the largest art-related community, so it would attract a large number of good and bad actors.

That said, good luck.
jokootle
Sexual preference: Other

Post by jokootle »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:I didn't say FA is good. Just that it's better than DeviantArt.
Amino is the only place where the attention is frequent but there's also the constant stream of P*ss that comes with that. You might as well jump directly into FA since DA doesn't offer much more.
I'm sorry :c