Pokemon vs. Digimon

The place to talk about anything just generally furry. If you have a furry-related thread that doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here! Just keep it clean.
Kilektor
Sexual preference: Straight
Region: Other

Pokemon vs. Digimon

Post by Kilektor »

RE: we discuss which fandom you prefer and why.

I personally think the Digimon show is God tier.
On the other hand I've played every Pokémon generation except Sun and Moon (also Rip in peace Pokémon go!) but I can't stand what the show has become.

Also what do you think of Digimon and pokemon furries?
I love the lucario suit ( pic related ) but is it considered cosplay or a fursuit?
Attachments
images (49).jpg
Don't tell me what I can and can not do, I'll just prove you wrong every time
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Werewolf
Region: Gauteng

Re: Pokemon vs. Digimon

Post by Valerion »

Digimon.

Weregarurumon. Gaomon.

I rest my case.

Although I must admit that the recent midnight werewolf in Sun & Moon also seems nice.

Also, I watched both the Pokemon and Digimon shows, and Digimon was much deeper, with a very good overarching storyline for me. And actually touched me on an emotional level in places.
Kilektor

Post by Kilektor »

@Valerion I know exactly what you mean, I still plan on playing through Sun and Moon because I'm crazy about the idea of alola forms.

I remember the Digimon movie where wargreymon and metalgarurumon fused into omnimon and had the fight with Diaboromon, feeling so nostalgic now. Don't know if you've watched the new Digimon Tri, I'm not sure if they dubbed it yet but I watched the subbed a few months ago and it was so cool to see everyone grown up.
CyntheWightRabbit

Post by CyntheWightRabbit »

Haha. No. That is definitely not a nuff said moment.

I never really understood that. How can you like one show more than the other simply because it has more furry characters in it-...no, more furry characters you find attractive in it? It impacts the show as a whole very little.

But then again, I never understood why people would watch a show simply because it had attractive girls in it, so I suppose its the same? If so, that's... let me just stop myself there. ;)

As for my opinion on the topic. If we're talking about shows, Digimon wins simply because of Ash. If Pokemon had interchangeable MC's it'd be a different story. That being said Digimon was by no means great either, it's just Pokemon is worse at present.

If we talk about them as a whole, Pokemon wins because of the games. Even though Digimon has released a few rather fun games, they haven't really hit it off with them, so they weren't able to grow all that much in that regard.

My 2cents if anyone really wanted it. ;)
Sarcasm in the lowest form of wit.
Kilektor

Post by Kilektor »

@CynthWightRabit I think the Digimon show has a lot more action, it's like the original teen titans with Pokémon being teen titans go. But like you said the Digimon games are pretty fun. I played the Digimon world Dusk game a couple of years ago and I really enjoyed it, but compared to how active the Pokémon gaming community is and how much more streamlined the battle system is, Digimon wouldn't stand a chance to compete. I guess they can't really copy the mechanics exactly but I don't think they want to.

Also I don't think there's a sexy Digimon to suit as because anything regarded as "sexy" has human feature ie; angewomon, ladydevimon. So that falls into the cosplay bracket.

But like valerion mentioned Digimon like weregarurumon, I think would be awesome to base a suit around, even if you don't make it your personal fursona I'd love to see a well designed suit of it.
Animew
Banter kitty
Species: Animu cat

Post by Animew »

Pokémon! for me there is no contest. Pokémon have a seemingly structured ecology... digimon... well, i had no friggen idea wtf was going on most of the time... besides, so few digimon were relevant to my interests where a metric fucktone o Pokémon are very relevant to my interests. Owo as for the storyline... in digimon they were like sucked into another dimension the one time and then sucked into computers...then there suddenly was the trains. perhaps i'm just stupid but i couldn’t make sense of how the different seasons of digimon fit together.
with Pokémon there is that eternally 10 year old ash guy (AKA satoshi) and his level 999 pikachu... you always know where you stand, the pokéverse have structure and reason... in digimon you suddenly get kids merging with their weaponized dragon thingies and becoming some super mecha thing with a naked child up its nucleus.

*sigh* all in all i think Pokémon is the better furry anime because... well, there are more animalistic characters in Pokémon. in digimon there are a few too but it’s like they just took animals and strapped weapons to them. and gatomon evolving to a freaking feather foot angel!? What is up with that?
Duck face? i thought they were all just making fart noises when posing for pictures...
Kilektor

Post by Kilektor »

Okay so I found something.
Attachments
Garurumon quad suit
Garurumon quad suit
images (51).jpg (17.77 KiB) Viewed 3665 times
Weregarurumon
Weregarurumon
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

I never really got into Digimon in the first place, so Pokemon gets a win by default from me.

The mate and I got Sun and Moon for xmas so I'm having fun in the sun right now. :3
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

I'd choose Pokemon. They had some nice games and I really like the world. However, now my only interest is in the world and some of the pokemon. I don't like the new ones usually. They stopped resembling living creatures and have become just a random design mess, something that Digimon really suffers from. The games are also repetitive and linear. If you've played Red/Blue then jumping to Black/White you will find that most of the story and gameplay structure is identical. Most changes are cosmetic. Apparently they've changed that a bit with Sun and Moon but from what I understand it's still not a dramatic shift in direction. Digimon did completely outclass Pokemon as a show, at least for what I've seen but the Pokemon movies could usually still hold their own. Except for the third movie.... the less said about that, the better.
Kilektor wrote:I love the lucario suit ( pic related ) but is it considered cosplay or a fursuit?
I'd say it depends if the suit is just a generic lucario or the person's actual character/fursona. But it's a sort of grey area and will depend a lot on what you think different suits are.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Valerion
Alpha Wolf

Post by Valerion »

I'll expand on the last point in my reply then. Digimon has proper character development and growth, while the Pokemon shows, from what I've seen, are simply "I want to catch that one and battle this gym". They don't make incorrect decisions, or have something bad happen via their own inactions.

In Digimon the story kept me engaged, in Pokemon the story was similar across episodes. I enjoyed the digimon first series, I enjoyed certain Pokemon epoisodes. That's the difference for me.
Animew
Banter kitty

Post by Animew »

Valerion wrote:I'll expand on the last point in my reply then. Digimon has proper character development and growth, while the Pokemon shows, from what I've seen, are simply "I want to catch that one and battle this gym". They don't make incorrect decisions, or have something bad happen via their own inactions.
well, ACTUALLY... almost all of the Pokémon have some sort of character development and personal turmoil they deal with. like when meowth and osewat fell in love with that trap purloin and had their little love triangle thing... Owo and in general that freaking otter had lotsa issues that he had to deal with not to mention that emo fire monkey ash had at one point.
digivolutions are not permanent and hence i find digimon to have much less character development than Pokémon.
Rakuen Growlithe wrote:Digimon did completely outclass Pokemon as a show, at least for what I've seen
i binged ALL the pokémon episodes and ALL the digimon too... for the first two seasons digimon was kinda cool but from that point onward it makes no attempt to follow a linear plot.
Rakuen Growlithe wrote:just a random design mess
i totes agree with that tho, there was a period that pokémon kinda lost the plot but they recovered from that to some degree methinks.
Duck face? i thought they were all just making fart noises when posing for pictures...
Hargan
Species: Foxeh

Post by Hargan »

Hokay, let's get this party started.

*pulls out his digivice and turns his cap backwards*

Digimon is far superior in terms of television shows. Not only has it been declared by the creators of the anime that ash will NEVER win a league (gotta find that article again, Val if you could help here, much appreciated). Beyond that however, one just needs to look at season 3 and Jerry to see the depth that digimon can go to incredibly dark places. Digimon is a terrifying series, and one that grows more adult the further it goes. Season 3 and 5, my two favourites, both deal with incredibly heavy details, and keep making every season unique and mostly enjoyable (screw you season 2).

However, pokemon, in terms of games, blows digimon far out of the water.

With the latest game having full on references to Evangelion (I named my Type: Null "Eva 01" for ease of access to the references), this game goes to insane levels of immense darkness, much to the levels of the digimon series, actually. Whereas the digimon games, as twisted as they get, can't beat the fact that Alola is still the happiest place ever, even with the UB's running around.

As such, I do love the games a hell of a lot more in the pokemon side of things. Now comes to the part I am indecisive about:

Style of the creatures:
This becomes personal opinion. Pokemon has just as many as digimon that I dislike, and vice versa, so at the end of the day, that's your prerogative.

So at the end of they day, what can I say?

I love both series, for different reasons. So, at the end of the day, it's all up to what you prefer, but in terms of games, for me it's Pokemon, and in terms of anime, it's Digimon
Warning: Has been known to speak his mind

Firm believer in Spiral Power
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic
Species: Necrobat

Post by Contrast »

When I was a kid, Pokemon aired on ETV and Digimon on M-NET. Since we didn't have M-NET or internet, Pokemon was the only show I could watch. I liked it up until a certain point. Even a dumb kid eventually realises that the Pokemon episodes follow a very repetitive pattern. This is true of a lot of shows, and something I could have forgiven, but something I absolutely could not stand was the gradual pussification of the pokemon.

Pokemon used to be badass. They were gigantic snakes made of stone. They were fire-breathing dragons. They were poisonous slime monsters. They were demonic ghosts with mind-control powers.

And then... well... Pokemon became more and more "kid friendly" and the badassness faded away. Or maybe I just grew too old.
Read my novel on: SoFurry | Fur Affinity | Deviant Art
Kilektor

Post by Kilektor »

*Hargan achieved the Hitting the nail on the head award*

I also agree with the statement of pokemon having a severe case of pussification. However I just remembered, Pokemon Origins is a thing.. Red actually caught more pokes by completing the generation 1 pokedex with 151 different Mons whereas up until date ash has owned I think 80 Pokémon with 30 of them being tauros. I mean when someone asks me why I played Pokémon go it was the most common answer of "gotta catch em all bro" then sulking because Pokefinder was shut down. I could go into a whole separate discussion of why ash is just the worst trainer ever but most of the points would be because he can't do what an old man asked, complete at least one pokedex. But no, he has an OP electric mouse and manages to get like a handful of good pokemon every season but still can't just make a good dream team and rek the elite four and probably the regional champ. SMH.

Guess he's still better than any Digimon tamer though when it comes to collection size but damn the connection between the tamer and Digimon. Ash treats his pikachu like a Digimon XD.
Valerion
Alpha Wolf

Post by Valerion »

Kilektor wrote:Guess he's still better than any Digimon tamer though when it comes to collection size but damn the connection between the tamer and Digimon. Ash treats his pikachu like a Digimon XD.
+1.

I will concede the games, it's Pokemon's strong point.

The connection between a Digimon and his partner is a partnership, they share everything together, and draw strength from each other. And their weaknesses also affect each other. They aren't just stored in a ball until needed to bring glory to the trainer.

Refence Skullgreymon and the circumstances around that in the first series, as an example. Or the dark cave Matt got trapped in. Still an excellent episode.

How often in Pokemon do you have one Pokemon give up his life to save another, or a human?

It's always interesting when they explore the consequences of decisions.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

If pokemon die they die. If digimon die, it just means they are deleted and their code respawns or whatever in primary village.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Valerion
Alpha Wolf

Post by Valerion »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:If pokemon die they die. If digimon die, it just means they are deleted and their code respawns or whatever in primary village.
Depends on the series. In some of them, death is death, as they are code fragments in the digital world (similar to the programs in the Matrix). But even in the ones where they are actually reborn, they are not the same personality neccesarily. Reference for example the Darwargreymon example I posted, he used his digital code to seal a breach, and in the process used himself up. No rebirth there.
Kilektor

Post by Kilektor »

Rewatching those made my day! >M< thanks Valerion!
They age in a similar fashion to real organisms, but do not die under normal circumstances because they are made of reconfigurable data. Old Digimon and Digimon who receive fatal wounds dissolve into infinitesimal bits of data. The data then recomposes itself as a Digi-Egg, which will hatch when rubbed gently, and the Digimon goes through its life cycle again. Digimon who are reincarnated in this way will sometimes retain some or all their memories of their previous life. However, if a Digimon's data is completely destroyed, they will die.

Another thing we haven't brought up is the Mons speech in both series, Pokémon can only communicate between each other but Digimon can actually talk. The directors and artists of Pokémon actually do a really good job in the way they get the emotions of Pokémon across without using more than the same word over and over. Like the scene in the Pokémon movie where ash did the Han Solo cosplay and pikachu kept shocking him and you could just feel the feels
Animew
Banter kitty

Post by Animew »

Valerion wrote:Depends on the series
eeeeeexacly. no consistency. the Pokémon world is a complete world that makes sense across all platforms. digimon... well, they have lotsa worlds and explanations… and to me that reeks of bad storytelling and plain old indecisiveness.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Pokemon can speak. Most notably Meowth learned it but multiple psychic pokemon have shown the ability to talk to humans using telepathy.
Animew wrote:eeeeeexacly. no consistency. the Pokémon world is a complete world that makes sense across all platforms. digimon... well, they have lotsa worlds and explanations… and to me that reeks of bad storytelling and plain old indecisiveness.
Consistent in the sense of... there are only 150 known pokemon in the world. Oh, hey we found a new region, full of new pokemon, cities and people all of whom speak the same language yet we were strangely completely unaware of until now. Rinse and repeat.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:If digimon die, it just means they are deleted and their code respawns or whatever in primary village.
Digimon Tamers has to disagree with you there. ;) Though, it is possible for the deceased digimon to reappear as spirits.
Tamers is the most mature and dark of the Digimon series, and my favourite. Rewatching Digimon Adventure (series one) feels too childish for me, but Tamers (series three) manages to be moderately more immersive and relatable for an older audience while still catering primarily to children. Especially towards the end, when things turn grim. Some of the character interactions are far more realistic, as opposed to the immature, carefree interactions in the prior series. For example, when one of the characters has to leave his/her parents, and the mother is naturally worried and objects firmly at first.

In my opinion, Pokemon had the better game series, whereas Digimon had the better television series.
To rate them as overall franchises? I believe one would be comparing apples and oranges, despite their similarities. I would prefer Digimon simply because of bias, as I was exposed to it in my early youth more than I was to Pokemon.
Last edited by Galahad on Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Animew
Banter kitty

Post by Animew »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Consistent in the sense of... there are only 150 known pokemon in the world. Oh, hey we found a new region, full of new pokemon, cities and people all of whom speak the same language yet we were strangely completely unaware of until now. Rinse and repeat.
LOL! yea i was of that thinking too, but let’s give them some artistic license with that one. i mean not everyone knows of every animal on this planet either, even the ones that have already been discovered. few people know that there are more species of foxes in africa than there is in europ... but when you find out it is kinda like "oh wow new aminals yo! or at least that’s been my experience. same with plants... i know almost every plant in this country but other countries... nope.
Hargan
Species: Foxeh

Post by Hargan »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:If pokemon die they die. If digimon die, it just means they are deleted and their code respawns or whatever in primary village.
Growlithe, I have to address this

Season 5 of Digimon, the villain creates a digimon that just destroys other ones. Not absorb, not send back.... As in a rookie digimon kills a mega the first time we see this thing. And he creates an army of these. It is amazing
So yeah, not always. That's what made 5 so grim and dark, was the absolute zero-sum game that was being played.

I agree that digimon are indeed partnerships over pokemon. One digimon per customer. Makes the partnership a little more personal.

It isn't laziness that they create new worlds. Is it laziness that gundam does the same? Not for gundam, it was a matter of practicality, because the original creator of gundam left the studio. For digimon, we have to understand why that began, and that was season 3. A different group were commissioned to create a digimon series that tied in the show, the card game and the video games all in one. Not an easy feat. Hence, they created a world where the original 2 seasons was a t.v. show, the card game existed AND that the video games existed in order to merge them all into one series. And with those stipulations, a lot of what they did in season 3 becomes clear, hence why I love it. Besides, you don't need to write anything beyond season 2, as it pretty much ended that arc. And, in my personal opinion, season 2 was the weakest point for digimon. But that's personal opinion.

As for pokemon finding new ones? Well, it's been 20 years, and considering what mankind has already done to pokemon (see Type: Null, Mewtwo and Genesect), I can accept the world continuing to grow and such like, as well as different species all around the world. Sure, I can explain it away for myself, but frankly, I do so, and I keep enjoying the series. In this regard, digimon does kinda cheat due to the way digimon are created and such and thus adding new ones in each season isn't particularly hard to get by. That and the fact that they don't blow their whole load of digimon in one series helps.

Finally: Pokemon looking like objects: Personal gripe of mine. Voltorb, Electrode, Magnemite, Magneton, frakking Dugtrio (just 3 pokemon but still griping): This sorta thing has been happening since Gen I. I accept that random pokemon will look like that. But should you really let a few pokemon out of 750+ ruin everything? I mean, with 750+, there's bound to be some that everyone hates. Just because I dun like klefki doesn't mean I don't think Rowlet is the cutest starter ever. Seriously, I dislike birds, and I think this thing is adorable. Anyway, what I'm getting at is: If ya don't like some, sure, whatever, but if you let them spoil everything you like about the games, maybe you're taking it a little too seriously.
Warning: Has been known to speak his mind

Firm believer in Spiral Power
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Kilektor wrote:Another thing we haven't brought up is the Mons speech in both series, Pokémon can only communicate between each other but Digimon can actually talk. The directors and artists of Pokémon actually do a really good job in the way they get the emotions of Pokémon across without using more than the same word over and over. Like the scene in the Pokémon movie where ash did the Han Solo cosplay and pikachu kept shocking him and you could just feel the feels
I see what you did there.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sev »

I much preferred Digimon, because they all had their own personalities.

Outside of a few exceptions, all of the Pokémon inside of a single species were identical. You could substitute one Charmander for another, and no one would be able to tell the difference.

That, and the fact that they talked, made the digimon hugely more empathetic.
Splicer-Fox
Species: Fox fennec springbok thing

Post by Splicer-Fox »

The one that has Renamon in it.

A pole should be added too this thread.