Activity.

The place to talk about anything just generally furry. If you have a furry-related thread that doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here! Just keep it clean.
CyntheWightRabbit

Activity.

Post by CyntheWightRabbit »

Not the Paranormal kind, unfortunately. ;3

All bad jokes aside, I have another two questions I'd like to ask, if I may.

The first is regarding my activity in the Forum. I'd like to be more active, but I'm not sure what to do. So I'd like to know if you have any ideas on what I can do, something that can make me post regularly? Unfortunately I'm not the type who can post things about my boring day and what I'm doing just cause, because... it really isn't all that interesting.

This Forum has made me meet some really good people. So I feel sort of obligated to it, to at least try. If that makes sense. :/

The second is regarding my activity in the Fandom in general. So far... this Forum is as far as I've gotten, partly due to my own apprehension, but I want to explore a little more if possible. Do you have any suggestions as to where I should go or what I should do or how I should do it, etc.?

I have been rather stagnant on both fronts recently, and it has been getting to me, in a sense, as of late. It's no use being a part of these things and then just sitting there doing nothing. That sort of defeats the purpose.

Anyway. Thank you for your assistance in advance. ^^
Sarcasm in the lowest form of wit.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Re: Activity.

Post by Sev »

There are plenty of Telegram/WhatsApp groups, both SFW and otherwise; you can use those to interact with furs and organize meets.

I'm no longer a part of any of them, so I can't help you there, unfortunately.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

It can be hard to know what to do. Forums generally work on a topic basis but one person usually doesn't have that many ideas for a topic, or they doubt themselves and don't post anyway. There are a couple of ongoing topics which make it easier to be active, just sharing what you are doing or listening to or watching or reading.

Other activities depend a lot on you and what sort of things you like. The standard furry things are role playing, drawing or writing. Even if you aren't good at any of those there is one thing that is desperately needed in the fandom and often overlooked and that's just appreciation. Favourite things you like or, much, much better, comment on them. Even if you don't have that much to say, artists and writers really appreciate comments and knowing that what they spent time and effort on, often hours, actually gave somebody joy. Even some really good artists and writers feel underappreciated but just a single comment can change their day.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Kspore
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Wolfpup
Region: Gauteng

Post by Kspore »

Well, what you want to achieve might be two clashing ideas there.

Exploring the fandom but be more active here, might be hard to do. Well for most people anyway. And if you feel as if you aren't spending enough time on the forum, well then I don't see how you intend to improve your time on here as well as spending time exploring other means. Unless you are good at multi tasking. I myself can bearly find time to talk to three people on telegram latley, finding time for other things is hard.
(In other words, sorry I disappeared..... Again.)

Okay, back on track, I nor other people can make the forum any more exciting than what it is. Its hard to find excitement when there are few people here.
(Well I wouldn't know, haven't been here in a while.)

But you want more interaction here, just ask questions. Do a daily question thread, try and see into the minds of us disturbed people. (Just kidding.... Well for most people anyway. ~ coy expression ~ )

As for other things to explore, just do a Google search and keep on going till you find something you like.
Sorry if that wasn't helpful, the others already covered the basics.☺
CyntheWightRabbit

Thank you for the replies. ^^
Sev wrote:There are plenty of Telegram/WhatsApp groups, both SFW and otherwise; you can use those to interact with furs and organize meets.

I'm no longer a part of any of them, so I can't help you there, unfortunately.
It is alright. Can I ask your opinion of them though? I... have a feeling they aren't necessarily for me.
Rakuen Growlithe wrote:It can be hard to know what to do. Forums generally work on a topic basis but one person usually doesn't have that many ideas for a topic, or they doubt themselves and don't post anyway. There are a couple of ongoing topics which make it easier to be active, just sharing what you are doing or listening to or watching or reading.
That is a bit awkard for me. I know people aren't going to care for what I say, and rightfully so because it isn't all that interesting, and because I know that it'll deter me from saying anything. But then again it probably is the best way to stay active so I'll give it a shot.
Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Other activities depend a lot on you and what sort of things you like. The standard furry things are role playing, drawing or writing. Even if you aren't good at any of those there is one thing that is desperately needed in the fandom and often overlooked and that's just appreciation. Favourite things you like or, much, much better, comment on them. Even if you don't have that much to say, artists and writers really appreciate comments and knowing that what they spent time and effort on, often hours, actually gave somebody joy. Even some really good artists and writers feel underappreciated but just a single comment can change their day.
That is true. I know the feeling pretty well myself. When I see something go unnoticed, and it is something I can appreciate, I tend to try and voice encouragement. But I'll try to be more active in that front as well.

@Kspore
You make valid points. I can't say this place is all that active, some days it goes really slow. But I am not really helping it by being inactive myself so... ;)

I'll take your advice. It had been something that was at the back of my mind. Maybe I could regularly ask random questions and see how people respond to them. I need to think about it a little more though.

Again. Thanks for the assistance. ^^
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Species: Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

"It is alright. Can I ask your opinion of them though? I... have a feeling they aren't necessarily for me."

Endless, useless spam.

Join them for a few days, find people that you like, and talk to them privately afterwards. That's what I would recommend.
Faanvolla
Plaas Brak
Species: Dog (Vampire)

Post by Faanvolla »

For the big telegram group I'm on,
I just leave it muted at all times, and go in and out to clear the 500+ messages notifications.

Sometimes use the search function to see if someone mentioned my name or something I care about (overwatch, for ex.) and only really post when I'm bored and away from my pc.

As for being active on the forum, probably just posting whatever is the best way to do it. Heck, even just posting asking about it got 6/7 replies so :P
"Meaningless filler" like someone posting they're eating a sandwich and then asking them if the sandwich was good might not be the most impressive #content, but it's still activity to make the site feel less dead, and the sandwich eater feels like they aren't just shouting into a void.
Also don't get dissuaded if you do post about something, either eating a sandwich or something you think is truly important in your life, and you get no one responding to you. Probably they weren't actively ignoring you, and your post was just in a dead-time. I don't think anyone is being actively ignored here, even though a few people have complained about it feeling like it
Seize the day, not your bearings.
Steam, Rockstar SocialClub, Uplay, Battlenet: Faanvolla#2539, Telegram: @Faanvolla
Switch Code: SW-0054-4917-1029
DeviantArt,Furaffinity,SoFurry, Weasyl, FurryNetwork
ProfilePic by hanimetion
CyntheWightRabbit

@Sev.
That...is sort of what I expected. Thanks for clearing it up. I'll give what you said a try though.

@Faanvolla.
Oh dear. That sort of thing is something that must be muted. Haha. That being said, do have have any group you'd recommend to start off with? I'm still a bit skeptical it'll prove fruitful in the least, but I suppose I wouldn't know unless I try. :)

You're right. I know a lot of the time it's not that they ignore you, it's more of not knowing what to say or not really having an interest in the topic. But I can also understand the other side. It isn't all that great to not have anyone respond sometimes.
TheOldWolf
Species: Wolf
Region: Gauteng

Post by TheOldWolf »

Why don't you join us in ZAFuzzbutts? Faan is part of that too I believe (correct me if I'm wrong?)
You can mute the group and just kind-of hang out or pick a few people to PM. They're quite friendly. And you can branch off from there with ease.
Exit light, enter night. My fluffy underbelly is the sky.
Faanvolla
Plaas Brak
Species: Dog (Vampire)

Post by Faanvolla »

I join and leave sporadically,
One can also read messages without actively joining the thing :P
Seize the day, not your bearings.
Steam, Rockstar SocialClub, Uplay, Battlenet: Faanvolla#2539, Telegram: @Faanvolla
Switch Code: SW-0054-4917-1029
DeviantArt,Furaffinity,SoFurry, Weasyl, FurryNetwork
ProfilePic by hanimetion
Animew
Banter kitty
Species: Animu cat

Post by Animew »

CyntheWightRabbit wrote: I'd like to be more active, but I'm not sure what to do.
lol, activity for activity's sake don’t get you anything on here bra.. O_o meaningful interactions and participation also don’t get you anything...

so if you are eyeing them nifty status/nickname/title thingies all the cool kids have and you are thinking you'll work your way towards earning one... think again!

It’s freaking rigged man! you have to kiss up to an admin to get one of those! so even tho i really want one myself... i'll never have one because the establishment hates me! GNYAAAH! GIVE ME A THINGY DAMN YOU! I DAMAND A THINGY! RAKUEN! i shall have a thingy from you this instant you infernal fire dog person you! i've seen people with less posts than me with magnificent thingies so therefore i qualify for a thingy of my own!
but i digress...
CyntheWightRabbit wrote:The second is regarding my activity in the Fandom in general. So far... this Forum is as far as I've gotten, partly due to my own apprehension, but I want to explore a little more if possible. Do you have any suggestions as to where I should go or what I should do or how I should do it, etc.?
i'm afraid if you try too hard to be more active in "the Fandom" you will soon burn out and start hating the fandom and all it represents... the thing is the furry fandom is exactly like any other fandom, just a bunch of people... the moment the euphoria of discovering other people that likes stuff you like wears off, you will find that you might as well not be in a "fandom" because there is similar distributions of douchebags inside the fandom as outside the fandom. you will still need to find people compatible to you... the only social benefit to the fandom is you know what subject to start a conversation on. i'd advise you take it easy and just look around till you know what it is about the fandom that you like and then get involved with that instead of trying to do "furry things"
Duck face? i thought they were all just making fart noises when posing for pictures...
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Wise words from Animew right there. BTW dude all you need to do to get a custom title/rank is PM an admin.
CyntheWightRabbit

I get what was meant, and I agree for the most part.

But my problem was doing nothing, and that wasn't getting me anywhere either. So even if this whole thing ends up failing, I can at least say I tried, instead of just having sat silently on the sidelines.
Animew
Banter kitty
Species: Animu cat

Post by Animew »

don’t get me wrong here, by all means get more involved with the fandom, i'm just saying you shouldn’t try too hard to be "a part of the fandom".

just keep enjoying the stuff you enjoy about being a furry. if something looks interesting, go for it... but don’t go looking for furry stuff to do for the sake of it or you'll likely end up in an awkward situation with one or more feminine men wearing diapers and you're unable to express just how uncomfortable the situation is making you for fear of hurting people’s feelings... so really... curiosity is good but exercise the same amount of caution inside the fandom as you would outside the fandom because there is little difference between the two really.
Duck face? i thought they were all just making fart noises when posing for pictures...
CyntheWightRabbit

Haha. I know how... unusual the fandom can be at times, not that I'm judging or anything, but yeah. I'll take your advice and try not to delve too deep. ;3