What's up with the Furry Fandom(Video)

The place to talk about anything just generally furry. If you have a furry-related thread that doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here! Just keep it clean.
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Gauteng

What's up with the Furry Fandom(Video)

Post by Adagio »

I found this...
I think this was really well laid out.
Also something new furs(And some old...) might need to see...

We are fans of Anthro art and culture. We don't need to "come out" as furries to anyone...
TheOldWolf
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Wolf
Region: Gauteng

Re: What's up with the Furry Fandom(Video)

Post by TheOldWolf »

Just my thoughts here; a possible cause for the lack if definition to our fandom stems from the fact it had a rather obscure background in its earliest days. Back when Uncks Kage and 2 were young. I remember Kage saying that when "furry" and "anthropomorphism" came out in comics and writings they were just called "funny animals". And as the fandom of "funny animals" grew, they needed a new tag. And became known as "the furry fandom" because telling someone on the street "I'm a fan of anthropomorphism." Is a mouthful.
And because of its ill defined infancy we kinda just got stuck with "furry fandom" and all of the stereotypes too.
Just my thoughts o.O
Exit light, enter night. My fluffy underbelly is the sky.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

TheOldWolf wrote:Just my thoughts here; a possible cause for the lack if definition to our fandom stems from the fact it had a rather obscure background in its earliest days. Back when Uncks Kage and 2 were young. I remember Kage saying that when "furry" and "anthropomorphism" came out in comics and writings they were just called "funny animals". And as the fandom of "funny animals" grew, they needed a new tag. And became known as "the furry fandom" because telling someone on the street "I'm a fan of anthropomorphism." Is a mouthful.
And because of its ill defined infancy we kinda just got stuck with "furry fandom" and all of the stereotypes too.
Just my thoughts o.O
The term funny animals has been around since the 1800's, if I remember correctly, and was used in the early days of what became the furry fandom. Anthropomorphism as a term has probably been around even longer. Furry as a term came about in the 1980's when Rod O Riley and Mark Merlino called one of their parties a furry party and the term took over. However if you read/talk to the older furs, like Fred Patten, you will see he uses the term funny animals still and more often than the term furry.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Cape_F0X
Light-footed
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Vulpes chama
Region: Western Cape

Post by Cape_F0X »

3:07 - "People people people!"